The Eyewear Thread

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Does COVID have any impact on returning things like frames bought online? I ask, because the assistant at my frame store made such a big deal about having to disinfect everything that's touched in the store, especially items in contact with the face.
Realistically, I think not that much, because the virus is transmitted almost entirely by air. But from a practical and responsible business standpoint, you can’t run an eyeglass store without sanitizing anything customers handle or put on, precisely because glasses go on the face. So, the salesperson’s concern was legitimate, but the shop needs to come up with a better service model than, “I’ll bring what I think would look good on you.” Browsing sealed glass cases should be adequate, and the sales staff should accept that sanitizing frames is now part of their job.

With online shopping, it’s a non-issue. We’ve ordered and returned sunglasses.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Realistically, I think not that much, because the virus is transmitted almost entirely by air. But from a practical and responsible business standpoint, you can’t run an eyeglass store without sanitizing anything customers handle or put on, precisely because glasses go on the face. So, the salesperson’s concern was legitimate, but the shop needs to come up with a better service model than, “I’ll bring what I think would look good on you.” Browsing sealed glass cases should be adequate, and the sales staff should accept that sanitizing frames is now part of their job.

With online shopping, it’s a non-issue. We’ve ordered and returned sunglasses.
Thank you for those clarifications. I've been tempted to order frames online, and might just do that - there are so many great-looking ones nowadays.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for those clarifications. I've been tempted to order frames online, and might just do that - there are so many great-looking ones nowadays.
For better or worse—and I’d say it’s a bit of both—I do most of my non-food shopping online now, and many people are getting their groceries online, too. In most ways, it’s safer and more convenient, but I don’t like the impact on traditional retailers. I try to stick with independent online dealers as opposed to Amazon. Alas, I’m an eBay addict, which is somewhat better than Amazon, though many sellers still complain.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
For better or worse—and I’d say it’s a bit of both—I do most of my non-food shopping online now, and many people are getting their groceries online, too. In most ways, it’s safer and more convenient, but I don’t like the impact on traditional retailers. I try to stick with independent online dealers as opposed to Amazon. Alas, I’m an eBay addict, which is somewhat better than Amazon, though many sellers still complain.
I'm an eBay addict, too, mainly for vintage perfumes, and I'm thankfully slowing down in that area. We still buy canned goods, paper products and fresh fruits and vegetables locally, but for nearly everything else it's Amazon and online supplement shops. I never seriously considered buying egeglass frames online, due to the instant gratification factor - a week's wait if I buy at the eye doctor's office, and done. But that carrot will no longer be a lure, if the sales assistant's script is the new business model.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
As PStoller said, I'd guess that COVID would not have an impact on returns for eyewear. A reasonably prudent company should simply disinfect the eyewear as they ordinarily would with or without COVID.

I clicked on that link for the Prudhons again, and it looks like the "Crimson" colorway has disappeared! They were available earlier today on that website. Goes to show that you really must act fast if you want a specific model and color of JMMs. Any given shop might only have one in stock at a time due to the inherent limited availability. So keep your eye out for those green Sheridans as those are pretty awesome!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm thinking of turning my Jacques Marie Mage glasses (from the first post on this thread) into a pure prescription sunglass or possibly a transition. Reason being, they are pretty bold for an indoor eyeglass look (I'm in a rather conservative industry) and I haven't found myself reaching for them much. I think they'd look good with maybe a dark brown lense? I also don't have a dedicated prescription sungless yet, so it could come in handy. What do you all think?

Here's another stock photo of them:

1_Pelagius_Dark_Havana_RX_Front.jpg

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
PrinceRF, I agree about turning the Jacques Marie Mage glasses into a prescription sunglass (or Transition), and also about your choice of brown for the lens color. I normally favor grey for Transitions, but not with these frames - the brown would enliven them just enough to be interesting.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
PrinceRF, I agree about turning the Jacques Marie Mage glasses into a prescription sunglass (or Transition), and also about your choice of brown for the lens color. I normally favor grey for Transitions, but not with these frames - the brown would enliven them just enough to be interesting.

Cool, thanks! I'm leaning more towards a dedicated (prescription) sunglass rather than a transition, I think.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
I'm seeing ads on TV for transitions in bright purple, blue, green and one other color I can't remember - they look garish to me, and I couldn't imagine being stuck with one of those shades for the life of my prescription. I guess the new colors might be okay with certain frames, or for particular occasions, but standard grey or brown suit every frame and they never overwhelm a look. I wonder if those new transition shades affect color vision and/or brightness to some degree.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I'm seeing ads on TV for transitions in bright purple, blue, green and one other color I can't remember - they look garish to me, and I couldn't imagine being stuck with one of those shades for the life of my prescription. I guess the new colors might be okay with certain frames, or for particular occasions, but standard grey or brown suit every frame and they never overwhelm a look. I wonder if those new transition shades affect color vision and/or brightness to some degree.

I think that unique colored lenses can be fun and can enhance certain looks, but if I were to only wear one pair of glasses daily, I'd prefer a simple grey or brown as well. I'm sure that they do affect color vision. I actually like the look of green tinted lenses, but haven't experiemented with many other colors.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
I think that unique colored lenses can be fun and can enhance certain looks, but if I were to only wear one pair of glasses daily, I'd prefer a simple grey or brown as well. I'm sure that they do affect color vision. I actually like the look of green tinted lenses, but haven't experiemented with many other colors.
I like the green ones, too. They remind me of poker players' visors in my favorite film noir movies.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I like the green ones, too. They remind me of poker players' visors in my favorite film noir movies.

That's an interesting association. Pretty cool as I enjoy playing poker from time to time myself. Here's an example of a green tint that I quite like:

Green Lenses.jpg

I don't really care for mirrored finishes or lens tints that are excessively flashy or bright. I think these are just the right amount of green.

Also, I went ahead and dropped off my JMMs to have brown tinted prescription lenses installed, to make them a pure sunglass. I'll upload a picture when I get them back.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Yes, that is a nice subtle green, it doesn't scream. I think your new sunglasses will look great with brown, though - am looking forward to seeing them.

By the way, I did report my experience at the frame shop - not in an accusatory way, I just phoned the front desk receptionist and asked if their new policy is to bring frames to customers, rather than letting people look around. The answer was No, and she said I wasn't the first person to mention it. The policy is simply that, after you try on a frame, you leave it on a central table for cleaning, rather than put it directly back on the shelf. That makes a great deal more sense!

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Went to the eye place again today and got some info on the new Transitions colors. So far (and this will change), the bright red, blue, green and purple Transitions shades are only available for single-focus polycarb lenses; progressive lenses (bi/trifocals without sharply defined areas of differentiation) and non-polycarb materials pose complications.

As of now, each lens company has its own internal specifications. For example, Zeiss offers grey-green and blue-grey transition lenses that works with their progressive and non-polycarb lenses; they offer other colors, too, but those don't yet work with their progressive non-polycarb lenses.

None of the new transition colors - whether Transitions (the brand) or the in-house color choices particular to each lens company - interfere with color vision; only brightness is affected, with yellow and amber generally allowing for greater optical brightness (with no loss of UV protection). The frame store had samples, and I the tried Zeiss options - colors seen through them appeared true.

I must say, the Zeiss colors look far more versatile and less garish to me than the new Transitions shades. I guess at my age, lenses don't have to be *FUN*. :)

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I must say, the Zeiss colors look far more versatile and less garish to me than the new Transitions shades. I guess at my age, lenses don't have to be *FUN*. :)

I'm pretty content with my blue-grey and brown transition lenses. Who says classic colored tint can't be fun? :smiley:

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
I'm pretty content with my blue-grey and brown transition lenses. Who says classic colored tint can't be fun? :smiley:
Well...the classic colors suggest a quieter type of fun to me, I guess. When I see those Transitions ads, I think firecrackers, sparklers and 60s rock festivals (Jim McGuinn does Woodstock). :)

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Well...the classic colors suggest a quieter type of fun to me, I guess. When I see those Transitions ads, I think firecrackers, sparklers and 60s rock festivals (Jim McGuinn does Woodstock). :)

I'm a quieter type myself, so perhaps that's why I tend toward them.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
I'm a quieter type myself, so perhaps that's why I tend toward them.
Same here (quieter type). Zeiss has an amethyst shade that is interesting and elegant, not in-your-face like Transitions purple, but alas, it's not yet available for progressive lenses. I ended up ordering Zeiss blue lenses in this frame: https://www.luxuryeyesite.com/face-a-face-bahia-1/ in the Ecaille Acajeu Blue color combo - it's in the drop-down menu, but the link reverts to ultramarine (which would have been much too blue with the blue lenses). The blue transition-type lens makes colors appear cooler, but still true.

ETA: Sorry about the link, I couldn't figure out how to show the page as a photo and I don't yet have the physical glasses to make a snapshot - hence the store URL.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Same here (quieter type). Zeiss has an amethyst shade that is interesting and elegant, not in-your-face like Transitions purple, but alas, it's not yet available for progressive lenses. I ended up ordering Zeiss blue lenses in this frame: https://www.luxuryeyesite.com/face-a-face-bahia-1/ in the Ecaille Acajeu Blue color combo - it's in the drop-down menu, but the link reverts to ultramarine (which would have been much too blue with the blue lenses). The blue transition-type lens makes colors appear cooler, but still true.

ETA: Sorry about the link, I couldn't figure out how to show the page as a photo and I don't yet have the physical glasses to make a snapshot - hence the store URL.

Those look very nice! I'm interested in seeing what the blue lenses look like in them.

You can't show a webpage as a photo (I think). You have to right click the photo and save it to your computer. Then, you can upload it with the "Insert Image" tool.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Bonnette - Can we get a picture of the transition lenses in the frame when they arrive?
Did you read about the spyware that's infected Apple devices - all phones, pads and operating ystems - without having to click on a link or download anything? It works automatically through phone and computer cameras and gives bad actors access to absolutely everything. Apple issued an emergency security patch 3 days ago, but I have recently had a lot of trouble with spyware and malware and I don't trust the system or the patches. I don't have any technological expertise and I'm not phone-savvy at all. So I don't see myself taking or posting photos for awhile, if ever again.

I'm sorry, PrinceRF! I'm probably being an absolute ninny, but my nerves can't take another skirmish with online thieves. I must ask you to imagine those frames with a lovely blue-grey lens, more grey than blue - more like a tint.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Did you read about the spyware that's infected Apple devices - all phones, pads and operating ystems - without having to click on a link or download anything? It works automatically through phone and computer cameras and gives bad actors access to absolutely everything. Apple issued an emergency security patch 3 days ago, but I have recently had a lot of trouble with spyware and malware and I don't trust the system or the patches. I don't have any technological expertise and I'm not phone-savvy at all. So I don't see myself taking or posting photos for awhile, if ever again.

I'm sorry, PrinceRF! I'm probably being an absolute ninny, but my nerves can't take another skirmish with online thieves. I must ask you to imagine those frames with a lovely blue-grey lens, more grey than blue - more like a tint.

First time hearing about it.

wood&leather

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 27, 2018
I like more rounded stuff, as they seem to compliment my headshape better. I like my chanel aviators for that

Screen-Shot-2021-09-14-at-08-20-14.png

I don't really care for mirrored finishes or lens tints that are excessively flashy or bright. I think these are just the right amount of green.

Also, I went ahead and dropped off my JMMs to have brown tinted prescription lenses installed, to make them a pure sunglass. I'll upload a picture when I get them back.

I agree, i like this shade of green eventhough i don't think i could pull it off myself. Looking at a brand now called "Gentle Monster" that's a little more exotic but still wearable.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Does anyone here wear glasses strictly for blue light protection? I'm thinking about getting a pair almost exclusively for when I am at work on my computer or when I'm am on my phone for long periods of time.
If memory serves, transition lenses protect against blue light from any source. But for long stints at the computer, I bought a pair of orange plastic glasses that fit over my regular glasses. They're called Uvex Astro over-the-glass blue light blocking computer glasses, very inexpensive and great optical quality. I also bought a clear blue light protective panel with a lip that sits over my laptop screen, from a company called EyePC. I got both products at Amazon.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I like more rounded stuff, as they seem to compliment my headshape better. I like my chanel aviators for that

Screen-Shot-2021-09-14-at-08-20-14.png

Yes, those do look nice on you!

Does anyone here wear glasses strictly for blue light protection? I'm thinking about getting a pair almost exclusively for when I am at work on my computer or when I'm am on my phone for long periods of time.

I don't and never have. I set my computer monitor to a "warm" display output and then late at night I simply turn down the brightness. Never felt the need for blue light glasses.

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
Yes, those do look nice on you!

I don't and never have. I set my computer monitor to a "warm" display output and then late at night I simply turn down the brightness. Never felt the need for blue light glasses.

The blue light glasses would also be helping me from the LED lights used at my work. They switched from old fluorescent lights about 7 years ago and it took about a month for my eyes adjust from the old 'yellow' tint to the 'blue' look the light gives off.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
New addition to the collection: Dita! I went for something a little bit more subdued and classic for everyday wear this time, to round out my wardrobe since the JMMs are quite bold and the Cartier's are elegant but extremely costly. Having my lenses cut and installed now with blue-gray transitions, so hoping to enjoy these in about a week. I love the brushed titanium and vintage metal look to these. They are discreet, yet simultaneously unique and interesting IMO. What do you guys think?

View attachment 158702
These have been getting heavy wear lately. They have pretty much become my everyday glasses and are becoming part of my signature look.

I did end up selling my JMM glasses as I just haven't been reaching for them. I love the unique aspects about them but I should really be careful in assessing what I'm comfortable wearing. Namely, the excessively bold look doesn't mesh with my personality. In addition, I much prefer the lightweight titanium for comfort during extended wear. Still rocking the Cartiers whenever I'm feeling more dressed up.

I do still want to get a pair of dedicated sunglasses (My Ditas and Cartiers are transition). Jacques Marie Mage has some nice options out now but nothing that really blows me away. What other brands would you all recommend for sunglasses? Under $1,000 please, and I'm in no hurry to buy.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
What other brands would you all recommend for sunglasses? Under $1,000 please, and I'm in no hurry to buy.

I posted these before:

1632983807563.jpeg

They’re by Moscot, not terribly expensive and you can get them in many different colorways, so you can go for something less flashy than a jewel tone green. The company has plenty of other options, too; I don’t expect your taste or features to match mine. I’ve been quite happy with the quality, which seems as good as my costlier glasses.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I posted these before:

View attachment 170983

They’re by Moscot, not terribly expensive and you can get them in many different colorways, so you can go for something less flashy than a jewel tone green. The company has plenty of other options, too; I don’t expect your taste or features to match mine. I’ve been quite happy with the quality, which seems as good as my costlier glasses.
They do have some nice looking options it seems. And for the same price as a typical "designer" frame. I wonder why on the website they all say "Non-Prescription Sunglasses Only". For my next pair I would want prescription lenses. I think the shop I get my eyewear from retails this brand. I'll have to see what they have next time I'm there. Thanks for the suggestion!

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I wonder why on the website they all say "Non-Prescription Sunglasses Only".
Probably because Moscot doesn’t make prescription lenses for them. I don’t know why that would be other than perhaps a higher cost/return ratio for prescription sunglasses vs. eyeglasses.

I bought the frames online and then had my optometrist make prescription lenses. Nothing difficult about it.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Probably because Moscot doesn’t make prescription lenses for them. I don’t know why that would be other than perhaps a higher cost/return ratio for prescription sunglasses vs. eyeglasses.

I bought the frames online and then had my optometrist make prescription lenses. Nothing difficult about it.
It's pretty convenient though when you can just type in your Rx and have them delivered, ready to go. But I guess that would eliminate the possibility of returning them if they don't work out. I never know what glasses will look good on me until I try them on, so it's a big risk for me buying glasses online that I cannot return. Most frames are very hit or miss on my face, IMO.

Sep 19, 2021
Ah yes.... This thread feels like home. I am an avid vintage eyewear enthusiast and occasional dealer. My favorite brands to wear based on quality and style are Cazal, Cartier, and Jean Paul Gaultier. Please let me know if there is a frame you are interested in. If I dont have it, my network is quite large and usually have access to many frames not on the market.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Ah yes.... This thread feels like home. I am an avid vintage eyewear enthusiast and occasional dealer. My favorite brands to wear based on quality and style are Cazal, Cartier, and Jean Paul Gaultier. Please let me know if there is a frame you are interested in. If I dont have it, my network is quite large and usually have access to many frames not on the market.
Thanks. Good to know.

Latest News