The Eyewear Thread

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
lGbGS9A.jpg

Big fan of Jacques Marie Mage, Cartier, & Dita as well, had my local retailer order these for me.
Can't wait till they come in!
They look very nice,

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Delayed response, but yes, very comfortable. Literally forget you're wearing them.

IMO, that's an important feature for someone who has to wear glasses for extended periods of time. My JMM's are not very comfortable for all day wear simply because of how bulky they are. No complaints about my Cartiers, being much lighter and thinner. Fortunately, I have pretty decent vision (slightly nearsighted) so I'm not dependent upon my glasses for everyday tasks. I only wear glasses half the time or so that I'm not working on the computer.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
New addition to the collection: Dita! I went for something a little bit more subdued and classic for everyday wear this time, to round out my wardrobe since the JMMs are quite bold and the Cartier's are elegant but extremely costly. Having my lenses cut and installed now with blue-gray transitions, so hoping to enjoy these in about a week. I love the brushed titanium and vintage metal look to these. They are discreet, yet simultaneously unique and interesting IMO. What do you guys think?

20210731_220209.jpg

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
I like them very much. They are minimalist, as you say, but they have interesting textural features that distinguish them from flat titanium frames. And I like how the nosebridge screws and shaft fastenings are integral parts of the design. Blue-gray Transitions will be stunning with these.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I like them very much. They are minimalist, as you say, but they have interesting textural features that distinguish them from flat titanium frames. And I like how the nosebridge screws and shaft fastenings are integral parts of the design. Blue-gray Transitions will be stunning with these.

Thanks! I also love the nose bridge on these with the exposed screws. It helps to gives it the feel that these were built in a workshop by hand IMO. I'm thinking the subtle blue will look awesome. I'm certainly a subscriber to transitional lenses now, as they are so convenient and my eyes (and skin for that matter) are rather sensitive to the sunlight. I used to think transitions were dorky, but I think it's just a matter of finding the right frames and tint color. I'll have to upload a picture of my glasses in the sunlight on here eventually. With these Ditas, I'm going for a "cool" look, while my Cartier's are more of a "warm" look with brown/amber tint on a gold frame. I regret not getting transition lenses on my JMMs; The difference in cost is less than a separate pair of prescription sunglasses. Can't wait to get the call that these are ready for me!

They're very nice.

Thanks, hednic.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I found this nice little eyewear display case at Neiman Marcus yesterday. IMO it's a huge upgrade from having each pair of glasses tucked away in its own individual case/box. It feels pretty hefty and of high quality. Will look great when it's filled up some more. It says that it can hold 4 pairs of glasses, but it looks like I'll be able to fit 5 or 6. If I ever accumulate more than that, I'll just put my best or most-worn frames in here on display. I only have 3 pairs of eyeglasses currently (well, 4, as I keep an outdated cheapie in the car) but definitely want to get a couple more.

Does anyone have experience with Cartier buffalo horn? I tried on a pair of white buffalo horn, rimless, in yellow gold and they were stunning. Unfortunately they are eye-wateringly expensive, so it's something I will need to contemplate for a while.

20210814_091558.jpg

View attachment 159605

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Decent "cheap" sunglasses for people, like me, who always seem to lose or break them:

I go for the Fort Knocks style from Knockaround brand:

https://knockaround.com/collections/fort-knocks-sunglasses

Discovered this brand after breaking/losing several Ray-Bans, Oakleys, Smiths, etc. while hiking, biking, kayaking, camping, etc.

I am very careful with my eyewear and luckily haven't broken or lost anything yet. However, if I am going to be doing some risky outdoors activities, I'll leave the expensive frames at home and consider the ones that you suggested. They look nice!

Very nice display case, your eyewear will look striking in it.

I googled the Cartier white buffalo rimless frame - is this the one you're considering? https://www.coolframes.com/glasses/...MI-6v4wP6w8gIVGWxvBB17XQQeEAQYASABEgKDQPD_BwE

They are similar to those. I actually took a picture of them in the store (below). Please excuse me, as it's not a great picture of myself. With the rimless frame, you can customize the lenses into any shape you want, although for these, I think I prefer a simple rectangular shape rather than the ovals.

View attachment 159607

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Oh, I like those very much and they look great on you (great pic, too). Rectangular lenses would be my choice, as well. I think ovals would be almost over-the-top, whereas these look professional, stylish and fun at the same time. Very nicely balanced.

Looks like a Starbucks in the background - makes me want a double latté! :)

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Decent "cheap" sunglasses for people, like me, who always seem to lose or break them:

I go for the Fort Knocks style from Knockaround brand:

https://knockaround.com/collections/fort-knocks-sunglasses

Discovered this brand after breaking/losing several Ray-Bans, Oakleys, Smiths, etc. while hiking, biking, kayaking, camping, etc.

Those look great! I especially like the glossy tortoiseshell frames. I think I m ight order a pair of those.

nosey74

Aug 30, 2014
Those look great! I especially like the glossy tortoiseshell frames. I think I m ight order a pair of those.

The tortoise shell are sharp. In the past I had them make me a glossy tortoise shell with polarized blue lenses and they turned out great!

Also, the Fort Knocks run wide.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Oh, I like those very much and they look great on you (great pic, too). Rectangular lenses would be my choice, as well. I think ovals would be almost over-the-top, whereas these look professional, stylish and fun at the same time. Very nicely balanced.

Looks like a Starbucks in the background - makes me want a double latté! :)

Don't convince me! :laugh: But thanks, I agree with you.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Don't convince me! :laugh:
My bad! :wink: :evil:

I went to look at frames the other day and was shocked when the assistant told me to have a seat and she would select and bring me some frames she thought would look good on me. I said I'd just like to look around, and was actually denied access because of COVID - said she didn't want to have to disinfect any more frames than necessary! Wow. First time I've ever run into that scenario. Has anything similar happened where you shop? This was a place I've gone to for years (one of only two with good selections where I live).

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
My bad! :wink: :evil:

I went to look at frames the other day and was shocked when the assistant told me to have a seat and she would select and bring me some frames she thought would look good on me. I said I'd just like to look around, and was actually denied access because of COVID - said she didn't want to have to disinfect any more frames than necessary! Wow. First time I've ever run into that scenario. Has anything similar happened where you shop? This was a place I've gone to for years (one of only two with good selections where I live).

Wow. I wouldn't do business with a store that made me feel as though I am an inconvenience! Sorry that happened to you... Especially surprised that you were treated that way after having gone there for years. Perhaps you should speak to the manager and it was just a bad hire. Being that the store I primarily get my frames from is rather high-end (each of the frames I've posted in here has been from the same store) the service is generally great. The store where I tried on the buffalo horn glasses, however, was different; the worker there was extremely friendly and seemed happy to discuss eyewear with me. Being passionate about the product really makes a difference - something I've noticed at the fragrance counter as well. Did you end up buying anything during that trip?

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Wow. I wouldn't do business with a store that made me feel as though I am an inconvenience! Sorry that happened to you... Especially surprised that you were treated that way after having gone there for years. Perhaps you should speak to the manager and it was just a bad hire. Being that the store I primarily get my frames from is rather high-end (each of the frames I've posted in here has been from the same store) the service is generally great. The store where I tried on the buffalo horn glasses, however, was different; the worker there was extremely friendly and seemed happy to discuss eyewear with me. Being passionate about the product really makes a difference - something I've noticed at the fragrance counter as well. Did you end up buying anything during that trip?
No, I certainly did not buy anything that day, and have been thinking along the same lines as you - this needs to be reported. I've spent hundreds of dollars at that store (it's actually associated with my eye doctor's office, which makes the incident especially bothersome). This is a new person. I don't want her to lose her job, but she ought to be spoken to about customer relations. Doubt she'll last long, with that kind of attitude.

You are so right, being passionate about the product makes a big difference. Even over the phone. I call the Guerlain boutique in Las Vegas from time-to-time, and some of the SAs are very ho-hum about their offerings, while others are thrilled to talk about what's new, make suggestions, etc. Those are the people one wants to deal with.

Thanks for commiserating!

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
No, I certainly did not buy anything that day, and have been thinking along the same lines as you - this needs to be reported. I've spent hundreds of dollars at that store (it's actually associated with my eye doctor's office, which makes the incident especially bothersome). This is a new person. I don't want her to lose her job, but she ought to be spoken to about customer relations. Doubt she'll last long, with that kind of attitude.

You are so right, being passionate about the product makes a big difference. Even over the phone. I call the Guerlain boutique in Las Vegas from time-to-time, and some of the SAs are very ho-hum about their offerings, while others are thrilled to talk about what's new, make suggestions, etc. Those are the people one wants to deal with.

Thanks for commiserating!

Absolutely!

Would love to see some pictures of your eyewear, too, if possible.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Absolutely!

Would love to see some pictures of your eyewear, too, if possible.
I got my first smart phone ever in May and still know next to nothing about how it works, but here goes. This is my only eyewear at the moment, the rest are boxed in the basement, as I had cataract surgery and didn't think I'd need them for any reason. You can't see very well in this photo, but the top halves of the frame and shafts are turquoise, the bottoms are tortoise shell. I have an identical pair, where the colors are red and deep teal.
Bonnette.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
I got my first smart phone ever in May and still know next to nothing about how it works, but here goes. This is my only eyewear at the moment, the rest are boxed in the basement, as I had cataract surgery and didn't think I'd need them for any reason. You can't see very well in this photo, but the top halves of the frame and shafts are turquoise, the bottoms are tortoise shell. I have an identical pair, where the colors are red and deep teal.
View attachment 159655
Very nice. They suit you.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020

Those are all so fun! What kind of wood is that on the rimless?

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 159655

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I like the contrasting color of those. They really bring out your eyes. :thumbsup:

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Those are gorgeous, PStoller. I particularly like the last one.

Thanks! The last ones are a collaboration between designer Damir Doma and eyeglass company Mykita.

I agree with PrinceRF about your frames and how the blue works with your eyes and earrings. Excellent choice.

Those are all so fun! What kind of wood is that on the rimless?

Those are Gold & Wood frames, and the earpieces are buffalo horn.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Ahh, lovely. How is the build quality on those? Would you consider them to be amongst the pinnacle of quality eyewear?
Build quality on G&W is generally excellent. As for “pinnacle,” I haven’t compared enough frames closely enough to venture an honest, informed opinion.

I like those Jacques Marie Mage frames, BTW. I might spring for the Sheridan in “Rover” (green).

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Build quality on G&W is generally excellent. As for “pinnacle,” I haven’t compared enough frames closely enough to venture an honest, informed opinion.

I like those Jacques Marie Mage frames, BTW. I might spring for the Sheridan in “Rover” (green).

The Sheridan in Rover looks excellent. I also like them in "Tempest" which is a translucent gray. JMMs can be hard to find sometimes, so better spring for them when you can as there are only 300 pieces.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Fortunately, they're a SoCal company, and there are lots of authorized dealerships in my general area.

Lots of ADs that I have access to as well, but finding a very specific frame and color could take some effort.

EDIT: For example, I've recently been looking for the Prudhon in Crimson and 4 different ADs in my vicinity did not have them, and I was told that there was a good likelihood they already sold out. I guess it just depends on the frame you're looking for.
https://jacquesmariemage.com/product/1297/

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Lots of ADs that I have access to as well, but finding a very specific frame and color could take some effort.

EDIT: For example, I've recently been looking for the Prudhon in Crimson and 4 different ADs in my vicinity did not have them, and I was told that there was a good likelihood they already sold out. I guess it just depends on the frame you're looking for.
https://jacquesmariemage.com/product/1297/

They're in stock here, or so the site says:

https://dandeutschopticaloutlook.com/product/jacques-marie-mage-prudhon/

They say they have my frames in stock, too.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
They're in stock here, or so the site says:

https://dandeutschopticaloutlook.com/product/jacques-marie-mage-prudhon/

They say they have my frames in stock, too.

Thank you. That's a tempting buy, but I like to try on frames in person before committing to a purchase. I've tried on things I thought would look good and didn't look good on me, and vice versa. I'm very particular about my eyewear. Do you feel pretty comfortable buying online without trying on glasses first? Some people have faces that just work with anything.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you. That's a tempting buy, but I like to try on frames in person before committing to a purchase. I've tried on things I thought would look good and didn't look good on me, and vice versa. I'm very particular about my eyewear. Do you feel pretty comfortable buying online without trying on glasses first? Some people have faces that just work with anything.
I have a face that works with nothing. But check their return policy: chances are you can send them back if they don’t work for you, so long as you don’t damage them. I have used measurements to determine what size frames will properly center the lenses over my eyes; you might want to look up a chart to make sure that aspect of the Prudhon will suit you.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Does COVID have any impact on returning things like frames bought online? I ask, because the assistant at my frame store made such a big deal about having to disinfect everything that's touched in the store, especially items in contact with the face.

Latest News