The Beefcake Thread: Scent a Favorite Man

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
Ladies I give you Tommy Shelby (played by Cilian Murphy) from the Peaky Blinders tv series.

Started watching this series, thought the visuals were great, but then they lost me after several episodes. Cilian Murphy was always compelling though. I wanted to learn more about him, so I did a little digging and learned he is a talented stage actor, I also found this interesting paragraph on his Wikipedia page:

Murphy does not have a personal stylist or publicist, travels without an entourage, and often attends film premieres alone. Reserved and private, he professes a lack of interest in the celebrity scene, finding the red carpet experience "a challenge" that he does not "want to overcome". He intentionally practises a lifestyle that will not interest the tabloids stating, "I haven't created any controversy, I don't sleep around, I don't go and fall down drunk." He prefers not to speak about his life outside of acting and did not appear on any television talk shows until 2010.

Isn’t that refreshing? I think he might wear some personal combination of essential oils.

What scent would you recommend for this character and/or actor?

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Started watching this series, thought the visuals were great, but then they lost me after several episodes. Cilian Murphy was always compelling though.

Same here. The series failed to enchant me.

Cilian is undeniably a handsome fellow, but there's something so disturbing about his eyes that I can only think of him as playing a sociopath or some other sort of deviant. I'd hate to have those eyes staring at me. I do agree that his scent would probably be something bespoke. He seems like an individualist who would choose his own method of expressing himself.

318full-cillian-murphy.jpg

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Lovely photo…and a great cologne choice. I can watch Casablanca a million times, it seems.

And how about…Victor Laszlo/Paul Henreid?

View attachment 221719

I vote for Houbigant Fougère Royale (1882).

And here’s an amusing ad for that one:

View attachment 221720
I'm going to go with the original Chanel Sycomore from 1930 for Paul Henreid as Victor Laszio. I don't think anyone here has smelled the original 1930s release.

Good choice with Fougere Royale.

zfx

Basenotes Plus
Aug 31, 2020
rc_ronny_chieng_15.jpg

Ronny will never be conventionally handsome but lately he has been cleaning up nice. Going in hard on the watches, GQ features, hair on point, tailored suits, and looks like he lost 5-10 kilos with that flattened tummy. Well done, sir. Something from Maison Dior or Ferragamo.

slpfrsly

Physician, heal thyself
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Started watching this series, thought the visuals were great, but then they lost me after several episodes. Cilian Murphy was always compelling though. I wanted to learn more about him, so I did a little digging and learned he is a talented stage actor, I also found this interesting paragraph on his Wikipedia page:

Murphy does not have a personal stylist or publicist, travels without an entourage, and often attends film premieres alone. Reserved and private, he professes a lack of interest in the celebrity scene, finding the red carpet experience "a challenge" that he does not "want to overcome". He intentionally practises a lifestyle that will not interest the tabloids stating, "I haven't created any controversy, I don't sleep around, I don't go and fall down drunk." He prefers not to speak about his life outside of acting and did not appear on any television talk shows until 2010.

Isn’t that refreshing? I think he might wear some personal combination of essential oils.

What scent would you recommend for this character and/or actor?
On that basis, no scent at all. Or something clean, bland, inoffensive, fresh - citruses or white soapy musks, at most. As for Peaky Blinders, it started out as a decent idea but it's part of the post-Marvel/Michael Bay type writing. It's literally the same thing over and over again, wish fulfillment for a branch of millennial and Gen X men - guns, haircuts, drugs, women, rock n roll. It's also a thinly veiled form of propaganda targeted towards the audience as well - one of the few made for men on 'masculine' grounds, as opposed to the typical netflix watcher, which is more feminine and/or female. I thought the show ended years ago, but they still managed to squeeze out another series earlier this year. Anyway, Murphy might wear something like Dior Homme Cologne or maybe something a bit more traditional/older in that vein.

slpfrsly

Physician, heal thyself
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
rc_ronny_chieng_15.jpg

Ronny will never be conventionally handsome but lately he has been cleaning up nice. Going in hard on the watches, GQ features, hair on point, tailored suits, and looks like he lost 5-10 kilos with that flattened tummy. Well done, sir. Something from Maison Dior or Ferragamo.
I think you got it right, he'd wear what the GQ stylist suggests.

Latest News