The Beefcake Thread: Scent a Favorite Man

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
And what is its female equivalent? Cupcake? Cheesecake?

It's funny you should ask that. As I was writing that response, I started to go into a reverie about why women's pinups were called "cheesecake" and men's were called "beefcake". Why associate men with beef and women with cheese? (Although I do understand that it's more about the cake than the cheese :) )

I suppose it's just about sweet versus meaty.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Checking the all-knowing interwebs, etymology of the slang is sketchy at best. "Cheesecake" refers particularly to women showing a lot of leg—whether because, as Time magazine published in 1933, women's legs in stockings resemble layers of cheesecake, or because a photographer c. 1915 remarked upon his model's skirt blowing up, "This is better than cheesecake," we may never really know. (There's also a citation of poetry from the 1600s comparing women to cheesecake, but it's doubtful that was the root of the 20th century meaning.) The term really took off in the 1940s with the advent of the pin-up.

It's generally agreed that columnist Sidney Skolsky coined "beefcake" in 1949 as a masculine equivalent to "cheesecake," first in reference to Guy Madison and then generally applied to hunky Hollywood men.

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
Ha, I LOVE this thread! And may I compliment my fellow basenoters on their excellent taste in men? I mean Jeff, Adam, Lenny (there's my teenage crush for you), and I can shake Evangeline's hand regarding her taste in tennis players. I had quite forgotten about Marat Safin, but damn I shouldn't have. I am also partial to tall, thin, slightly academic looking types, let's call them string cheese cakes.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
Now that we’ve sorted the Lenny Kravitz dreads issue...

I’ve got beefcake AND perfume content. Here‘s Rowoon, (Kim Seok-woo) Kpop singer, Kdrama actor, Estée Lauder model and a lovely tall fellow...

ECEA7D53-E875-4669-A8F9-0DE7D6103761.jpeg
C5A591C0-30FC-4F72-B198-3A5030CDC50E.jpeg

Dream Dusk is described as a cherry blossom and geranium fragrance for women and men. Has anyone tried it?

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
Not I.

Greyspoole, Korean culture keeps creeping into most of your Lounge posts. Am I sensing an East Asian trip in your future?
It's the influence of the daughters especially the eldest. She has many good friends with Asian heritage and studied Japanese for many years. She spent a summer in Japan and our visit there in 2019 is one of my fondest memories. I would love to go back to Japan.

I would love to visit Korea too. Korean history & culture has appealed to me for a long time because I've worked with so many wonderful Korean international students over the years.

And then there's the incredibly delicious food!

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
Dream Dusk is described as a cherry blossom and geranium fragrance for women and men. Has anyone tried it?
I left my name and number at the perfume counter a couple months ago to get a call when the Estée Lauder Luxury line came in but have not heard anything yet. There are several in the line I would like to try. I want to see whether this newfangled feature is a good or bad thing -
“the exclusive ScentCapture Fragrance Extender™ technology, they last up to 12 hours—an exciting first in luxury fragrance”

Mar 13, 2012
I'm a huge C-drama and K-drama fan (Hyun Bin mentioned above is totally swoon worthy!)
Here is C-drama beefcake, Hu Ge.
I see him wearing Muelhens 4711 Eau de Cologne.
unnamed_1_0.jpg

Mar 13, 2012
Purplelilac, you’ve got my attention! What’s favorite Cdrama, preferably on Netflix, would you recommend to a complete noob?
There are different types. The first are the period dramas and then there are the more modern ones, often with plots centering around younger people..

Also note, C-dramas usually have like 50 episodes, which seems long, but you get hooked.

For the period dramas on Netflix you can’t go wrong with either Ashes of Love or Eternal Love. Both are great!

For the more modern ones, there is Meteor Garden (a classic with Dylan Wang who is very attractive), Love 020, Go Go Squid, Here to Heart.

Those are a few titles for you to check out on Netflix. Let me know if any look good to you. 😄

Edited to add: if you can find The Disguiser or Nirvana in Fire, Hu Ge pictured above is in them.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
There are different types. The first are the period dramas and then there are the more modern ones, often with plots centering around younger people..

Also note, C-dramas usually have like 50 episodes, which seems long, but you get hooked.

For the period dramas on Netflix you can’t go wrong with either Ashes of Love or Eternal Love. Both are great!

For the more modern ones, there is Meteor Garden (a classic with Dylan Wang who is very attractive), Love 020, Go Go Squid, Here to Heart.

Those are a few titles for you to check out on Netflix. Let me know if any look good to you. 😄

Edited to add: if you can find The Disguiser or Nirvana in Fire, Hu Ge pictured above is in them.
Thanks so much for the detailed response! I will definitely check these out.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Okay, I don't usually go for the more traditional forms of beefcake photos, but this one tickled my, er, fancy.

This is Michael Mando, who plays Nacho Varga on Better Call Saul. I've really enjoyed his character in the show, and the ambivalence between his criminal and sympathetic tendencies. It's hard to find a photo of him without a shaved head, and when I specified that to Google, this popped up.

I'm going to counter-program against type and scent him with something old school and romantic: Boucheron Pour Homme.

d797swy-8a1cc23f-e7a7-45f8-8c5e-0253f20d9ed2.jpg

I don't much care about the muscles, but I do like that little roll that occurs at the very top of the hip. I always find that a very attractive area on a man.

michael-mando-1563355356.jpg

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
Wow, Michael Mando looks like two completely different people in the photos you posted, Cook.bot. I guess versatility is a good attribute for an actor.

Looking up Boucheron Pour Homme now, because I’ve never heard of it.

I’ve always been a fan of the inguinal crease too.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
This is Michael Mando, who plays Nacho Varga on Better Call Saul. I've really enjoyed his character in the show, and the ambivalence between his criminal and sympathetic tendencies. It's hard to find a photo of him without a shaved head, and when I specified that to Google, this popped up.

I'm going to counter-program against type and scent him with something old school and romantic: Boucheron Pour Homme.
We are currently at the end of season 4 and waiting for season 5 to be free, or really we are just drawing it out so it lasts longer and we can slide right into the final season. What a great show, and full of characters like Nacho that make me nervous because of the ambivalence you mention. Good call on the counter scenting - makes wearing old school a nod to male tradition, but also almost subversive on him.

Boucheron Pour Homme has been on my wish list for a long time after I tried a mini. It is just the type of masculine I never stop enjoying and budget friendly for the current stuff, but I haven’t bought a bottle yet because I need to figure if vintage is a must or not.

I have to mention that I really like forearms and hands, and Michael Mando has Da Vinci forearms and hands - ones that look like someone that works with their hands, slightly veined, broad palms, and expressive fingers. I come from a long line of woodworkers so I guess that is why it is a thing for me.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Boucheron Pour Homme has been on my wish list for a long time after I tried a mini. It is just the type of masculine I never stop enjoying and budget friendly for the current stuff, but I haven’t bought a bottle yet because I need to figure if vintage is a must or not.

I've been buying it since 1990, when I used to drench The Boyfriend in it, and the newer stuff, while diminished in strength and richness, is still damned good -- but the EDP is preferable to the EDT, for me. I used to also wear Boucheron femme in those years, but it now yucks me out, even in its vintage iteration.

I have to mention that I really like forearms and hands, and Michael Mando has Da Vinci forearms and hands - ones that look like someone that works with their hands, slightly veined, broad palms, and expressive fingers. I come from a long line of woodworkers so I guess that is why it is a thing for me.

I have a thing for male hands, too, especially of the type you describe. But I also once got obsessed with the hands of a young Japanese guy who kept river otters as pets and posted videos of them on YouTube. Only his hands ever appeared in the videos with the animals, and they were so lovely that I couldn't get enough of looking at them: large hands, but with long, slender, large-knuckled fingers, completely hairless, and with the flawless skin of a very young person. I spent hours and hours watching those hands interact with the otters, and even though the feeling they incited in me wasn't sexual, I still felt a little bit lecherous for ogling them.

purecaramel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 9, 2013
I've been buying it since 1990, when I used to drench The Boyfriend in it, and the newer stuff, while diminished in strength and richness, is still damned good -- but the EDP is preferable to the EDT, for me. I used to also wear Boucheron femme in those years, but it now yucks me out, even in its vintage iteration.

I have a thing for male hands, too, especially of the type you describe. But I also once got obsessed with the hands of a young Japanese guy who kept river otters as pets and posted videos of them on YouTube. Only his hands ever appeared in the videos with the animals, and they were so lovely that I couldn't get enough of looking at them: large hands, but with long, slender, large-knuckled fingers, completely hairless, and with the flawless skin of a very young person. I spent hours and hours watching those hands interact with the otters, and even though the feeling they incited in me wasn't sexual, I still felt a little bit lecherous for ogling them.

You’re welcome! It’s always helpful to keep all of the moving parts clear in your mind. ;)
Cheeky Girls!

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
I don’t think having an appreciation for or even being thoroughly entranced by skilled or graceful hands is creepy. Like the liquid movement of your otter guy’s hands, or a lantern maker laying bamboo spines on a wood form, or a fisherman filleting a fish - it is just beauty, and sometimes awe which is a good thing.

Dad

Jan 25, 2022
Interesting thread.

Disagree with: Goldblum, Chalamet, Connery, Talbot, McCallum, Stewart, Ford, Safin, Newman, Tucci, Hiddleston, Benjamin, Kravitz, Jacinto, Lewis, Driver, Wishaw, Waits, Ge, Mando

Could agree with: Nureyev, Delon, Costner, Craig, Clooney, Gable, Bing, Cave, Crowe

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Interesting thread.

Disagree with: Goldblum, Chalamet, Connery, Talbot, McCallum, Stewart, Ford, Safin, Newman, Tucci, Hiddleston, Benjamin, Kravitz, Jacinto, Lewis, Driver, Wishaw, Waits, Ge, Mando

Could agree with: Nureyev, Delon, Costner, Craig, Clooney, Gable, Bing, Cave, Crowe
What do you agree or disagree with: the fragrance choices or the perceived handsomeness and charm of said men?
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder or so they say.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
for starters..................
Bel Ami on Hrithik Roshan would be nice.

Sweet jumpin' Jehosaphat, who in the name of all that's holy is that guy??? That hair, that nose. I've never heard of him, but you could have him perfumed, powdered, and brought to my tent at any time.

He looks like he belongs on a glistening stallion, galloping along the edge of a cliff somewhere.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
bwahaha, this made me remember Poldark, how they were always riding horses along the cliffside.

Always thought Poldark would have made a good drinking game: "Horse on a cliffside? Bottoms up!"

And they are good looking in a really interesting way as regular people too

Almost too pretty. I always thought of that as the "Hair & Horses" show.

Latest News