The Beefcake Thread: Scent a Favorite Man

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Manny Jacinto is probably too young for me, but he’s so dang cute! You remember this sweet young thing from The Good Place, where I would’ve scented him with one of the Commes des Garçons incenses. But in this photo, I’d pick a modern leather. Maybe John Varvatos Dark Rebel.
I would never have recognized him as the kid from The Good Place. They obviously removed all of his sex appeal for that show.

Aug 17, 2011
So deeply sorry for your loss. I hope you can find comfort in his memory. Fragrance is good for that, I find.
Thank you. I so agree that fragrance Is a comforting memory. When I had to move, and I unpacked his pillow and his bathrobe, they both strongly smelled of him and not just Chanel but just him, his fragrance. I am a perfume-aholic so I’m grateful for and to scent.

Kotori

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
Speaking of suits... a man I think always looks fabulous, and have come to think of in terms of fashion even more than of music:

Andre Benjamin:

355881459cd595cc3316639db3a43424.png

30db097f0b5a12c0dd3ba4e191444259.png

I like him best in preppy clothes, and I think Mr. Benjamin would be best served by a very fine vetiver scent, so I'm going to do him the honor of perfuming him with my favorite of all time, Chanel Sycomore.
That’s a great honor, indeed! He looks so snappy in those hats!

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
I swear to God, I was just considering adding that exact photo of Tucci to this thread. I don't think I've ever been so turned on by a suit, but I already loved Tucci anyway ("Big Night" forever!) and that man is wearing the hell out of that suit.
Big Night - best foodie movie ever! There really is something about men in suits and for me I think it is all about the place right above the collar. It is where all the good smells come from.
I tend to like the "bad" Clooney ("Confessions of a Dangerous Mind", "Michael Clayton"), but that voice could justify having its own dedicated Puredistance scent.
Love Clooney in Michael Clayton, but also like Looney Clooney too - like Hail Caesar.
And for charming bad boy Clooney, here he is in “Out Of Sight”, a really entertaining crime romance with Jennifer Lopez.
DB86F5D1-3634-4CA4-BBEE-05DD53C7256B.jpeg

Jan 13, 2021
I'm kind of giggling over the first few posts, because I swear you described my son! Not sure how I got to be this old, but here we are! So.... my favorite men's fragrances will always be woodsy, leathery, a little tobacco-y. I love Tom Ford's Oud Wood on my sweetie, but didn't he have another, more leathery cologne a few years ago?

My "crushes" tend to be really old-fashioned, like Clark Gable. I wonder what he wore?
Only 53 today, but hopelessly old school....oh well. :D

220px-Gable_Harlow_Red_Dust_Publicity.png

Gable w/Jean Harlow

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
I'm kind of giggling over the first few posts, because I swear you described my son! Not sure how I got to be this old, but here we are! So.... my favorite men's fragrances will always be woodsy, leathery, a little tobacco-y. I love Tom Ford's Oud Wood on my sweetie, but didn't he have another, more leathery cologne a few years ago?

My "crushes" tend to be really old-fashioned, like Clark Gable. I wonder what he wore?
Only 53 today, but hopelessly old school....oh well. :D

220px-Gable_Harlow_Red_Dust_Publicity.png

Gable w/Jean Harlow
I think he wore sweat, ma’am, just plain sweat. Especially in that film...Red Dust (1932) with the incandescent Harlow.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I’ll just leave this here..

I not sure why but I keep thinking he would wear vintage Derby very, very well. (But perhaps it’s just that I really like the smell of vintage Derby!)

I'd never heard of Hyun Bin, so I looked him up and that photo does NOT do him justice. He's got a huge variety of different looks, from pouty little boy to smooth sophisticate, like this:

Hyun-Bin.png

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
I'd never heard of Hyun Bin, so I looked him up and that photo does NOT do him justice. He's got a huge variety of different looks, from pouty little boy to smooth sophisticate, like this:
If I have introduced you today to the pleasures of looking at Hyun Bin, Cook.bot, then my work here is done. He seems to be a decent fellow too. And lest we forget, dimples...

_Nicolas_

Aug 16, 2021

Coty's Chypre, apparently! I have a sample of the original on the way to me and fear I might love it and want a vintage bottle, those things seem to cost a small fortune on eBay! There seem to be quite a few very masculine celebrities that don't mind wearing feminine fragrance, it's interesting really.

https://www.bosshunting.com.au/style/grooming/signature-scent-history-finest-men/

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021
Coty's Chypre, apparently! I have a sample of the original on the way to me and fear I might love it and want a vintage bottle, those things seem to cost a small fortune on eBay! There seem to be quite a few very masculine celebrities that don't mind wearing feminine fragrance, it's interesting really.

https://www.bosshunting.com.au/style/grooming/signature-scent-history-finest-men/
How interesting! I never would have thought. I’ve worn men’s cologne from time to time, but never thought of men wearing women’s fragrance. When it comes down to it, it’s really about the mix of the scent on a person’s skin that matters. Sometimes I have a picture in my mind of what someone would smell like (usually those old movie stars), but it’s all part of the mystery. That’s what makes this such a fun thread for me. :)

_Nicolas_

Aug 16, 2021
When it comes down to it, it’s really about the mix of the scent on a person’s skin that matters.

That is exactly what I'm starting to think @FiftyIsNifty! :) I've never worn feminine fragrance because I'm quite a masculine man and they always seem too soft to suit my style, but maybe I will come across a sufficiently 'hard' feminine fragrance that works well with my skin. Perhaps something very green with a touch of woods. Reading Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez' book 'Perfumes: The A-Z Guide' a few months ago got me wondering about this because they have a list of Top 10 Masculines for Women and vice versa. I'm going to try a couple from that list and see how they work on me!

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I'm almost reluctant to include Adam Driver here because he's been so massively overexposed lately (seriously, Adam, you should give it a rest for a year or two), but I just saw the new "House of Gucci" movie and he's so charming in it that I overcame my hesitation.

He ticks all the boxes for me and ClockworkAlice: lanky, prominent nose and jawline, offbeat Jesus-y looks with ears that stick out. I've really enjoyed him in several of his smaller movies ("Marriage Story", "Paterson"), and I'd like to imagine him in a very dark green leathery scent: Azuree by Estee Lauder. I don't think he'd have a problem with it being a fragrance intended for women.

And he's even appeared in a fragrance commercial for Burberry, in which he turns into a centaur. Really.

773eba190b2d459a84771617a4890d26-780x605.jpg

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
That Adam Driver Burberry ad...I will give the production team credit for a different perfume ad concept. And he does seem to be extremely fit. But I don’t need men morphing into centaurs...thank you, but nope!

Driver does seem to be cast in everything these days, but I usually like what he does with his roles. I did enjoy him in the Jim Jarmusch Paterson (2018) a while ago.

Azurēe is a good choice for him. I might recommend Aesop’s Hwyl for alternative days,

Latest News