The Beefcake Thread: Scent a Favorite Man

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
If you had to -

A. Fantastic personality, wit, and homely looks

B. Drop dead gorgeous, intelligence of a radish, terrible character

Both have great teeth, clear eyes, and pedigrees, btw.

A to marry, B to smash.

Fortunately for me, I married a gorgeous, brilliant, witty, and charming woman. I work hard to make sure it’s fortunate for her, as well.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
A to marry, B to smash.

Fortunately for me, I married a gorgeous, brilliant, witty, and charming woman. I work hard to make sure it’s fortunate for her, as well.

Fair enough 🤣

You’ve hit the jackpot 🙂 She sounds perfect.

I suppose there is the best of both worlds. I’m pretty sure most of us here feel the same way about our significant others!

Pippin06

always learning--often laughing
Feb 8, 2017
I mean … she is beautiful.
Yes, but what I find most beautiful about her is her song writing talent; singing; and generosity. A woman could be what our culture deems the most beautiful woman in the world physically, but if she isn't lovely, bright, and kind, I would not look at her twice--and she would become in fact unattractive to me.

Pippin06

always learning--often laughing
Feb 8, 2017
If you had to -

I've never met a woman with a fantastic personality, wit and homely looks--personality and wit add so much beauty that even average looks turn beautiful to me.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
This is interesting, because I have never really met a nice person who was truly ugly. Ugliness, for me, is so much about personality.

I completely agree. This is why I chose the word “homely”, as opposed to “ugly” for option A - anyone with those qualities can’t be truly ugly.

I’ve met some very attractive people that were absolutely disgusting to me by the end of a conversation. Nothing to do with their looks.

kosui no kaori

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2022
Was Billy Zane’s Titanic counterpart ever scented here?

I wouldn’t know how to scent Leo.

Attachments

• ECBD3887-61C7-4F84-A054-6BBDC1F81EB7.jpeg
    ECBD3887-61C7-4F84-A054-6BBDC1F81EB7.jpeg
    510.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 016842AB-3246-4FE9-9E43-D05D8A430AF4.jpeg
    016842AB-3246-4FE9-9E43-D05D8A430AF4.jpeg
    578.1 KB · Views: 1
  • D48B568D-A509-45D6-B1B1-14542EA88E37.jpeg
    D48B568D-A509-45D6-B1B1-14542EA88E37.jpeg
    410.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 7DA953B6-8513-4986-98C4-1D88BA54AB64.jpeg
    7DA953B6-8513-4986-98C4-1D88BA54AB64.jpeg
    434.2 KB · Views: 1

imm0rtelle

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 2, 2021
There's an attitude in lavender that I feel suits Leo's vibe in those movies. There's a freshness, boldness, but also there's an elegance/refinement in it. I also want some delicateness to match young Leo's softer qualities. The iris is a nice combination with lavender in Rimbaud to give this effect.

TornPitifulBeardeddragon-size_restricted.gif

Salumbre

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 26, 2022
hehehe...not entirely @PStoller

Ok, so how about the coolest man in film ever, Tony Leung in In the Mood for Love? What would he wear? Something suave and broody that works in humidity please.

View attachment 310518

Tony Leung - suave sophisticate - Dior Homme
a~~

I have never smelled Dior Homme, but for what I've read of it I agree.

That said, Tony Leung is who I want to be when I grow up. So I think he should be an Egoiste kinda guy.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
hehehe...not entirely @PStoller

PStoller has his own nefarious reasons for needing to believe that shoes are the ultimate criteria for judgment.

Ok, so how about the coolest man in film ever, Tony Leung in In the Mood for Love? What would he wear? Something suave and broody that works in humidity please.

View attachment 310518

Oh my god, I love that movie. But I'd have much trouble sorting out a scent for Tony Leung amid all the smells of the noodle shop alley and the apartment building.

And I didn't think of his character as very suave, but almost nebbishy, and so reticent. I'm going to say something very understated, like an after shave, or just a sandalwood soap. In that vein, Egoiste would work well too.

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
PStoller has his own nefarious reasons for needing to believe that shoes are the ultimate criteria for judgment.

Oh my god, I love that movie. But I'd have much trouble sorting out a scent for Tony Leung amid all the smells of the noodle shop alley and the apartment building.

And I didn't think of his character as very suave, but almost nebbishy, and so reticent. I'm going to say something very understated, like an after shave, or just a sandalwood soap. In that vein, Egoiste would work well too.
This is my very favourite movie ever. The storytelling! The melancholy! The longing! The cinematography! Perfection.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019

Indeed, and hundreds of them. But I don’t really think they’re the ultimate criteria so much as a key first impression. I mean, no woman stays with a man because of his shoes.

Robin-in-FL

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 18, 2011
If you had to -

I think I've written this on here before but looks for me are just pass/fail, either a guy looks good enough, or he doesn't. That's it. No extra weight given for better than good enough, all that matters past that point is personality, attitude, compatibility, non-looks stuff; you can look good enough but be unattractive for a variety of reasons. So you cannot look good enough to make up for not having the non looks stuff, there is nobody I could find attractive JUST for their looks but there is no scale just yes/no.

And apparently my brain is superficial, because nobody has EVER moved out of the "doesn't look good enough" group. So also nobody is awesome enough for me to find attractive if I can't look at them.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
…looks for me are just pass/fail, either a guy looks good enough, or he doesn't.

Makes sense to me. Not that I can’t assess someone on either side of the pass line as more or less attractive than another, but it’s irrelevant to a potential relationship. After that comes the compatibility hurdle: unlike in perfumery, you can’t manufacture chemistry.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...