The Antaeus experience

Sep 11, 2021
I have a vtg. bottle and two miniscules, and whenever I spray it and sniff up, the main note or main impression is always changing swiftly like a caleidascope, as if the scent is alive and pulsating. At one point it's leathery, and two seconds later it smells of rosy oakmoss, and so on. For Christ's sake, this afternoon I sprayed once at each of my forearm, and only my right one smells of tobacco, and my left one smells slightly of jasmine/ indole. I've tried some extremely rich and varied frags such as Jules, Quorum and Derby, but they dont give me this experience. In Jules and Derby, the main note (such as Derby's leathery note mixed with artemisesia and bergamont) that I got is always the same, without changing every few seconds. Personally I think this organic quality is the most unique and amazing thing about Antaeus.

Any explanation? Anyone has the same experience?

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I know what you're talking about. I hadn't been thinking of Antaeus as a scent that does it more than others, but maybe.

Searching my memories, I've come up with Bogart Witness as something that seems especially multi-dimensional.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Antaeus is very complex, so I'm not surprised by this.

Similarly, I notice different aspects and "sides" to Aramis JHL (1982) and Bogart Furyo (1988) everytime I wear them.

In general, 80's fragrances were real "kitchen sink" compositions, mirroring the 1910's and 1920's that way. Lots and lots of notes vying for elbow room.

Latest News