The 10 Best Fragrances You've Ever Smelled

the_good_life

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 2, 2006
Great list! Especially for the context. It’s so true. I get Maai in the mail today!!! So excited. Now you have me wanting to try C&S No. 88. Since I myself skew goth. Is it hard to find the vintage and, if so, is the reformulation worth it?

Vintage 88 is very hard to find. I only have a small travel splash left myself. The reformulation smells nice but cute by comparison, the edge is gone.

d.bishkoff

Basenotes Member
Mar 10, 2018
In no particular order...

Opus VI - Amouage

Oud 27 - Le Labo

L'air Du Desert Marocain/Au Coeur Du Desert - Tauer

Aoud Musk - Montale

Black Afgano - Nasomatto

Narciso Rodriguez For Him EDP Intense/Musc Collection - NR

Encre Noir - Lalique

Or Black (Vintage & Current) - Pascal Morabito

Leather Oud - Dior

Knize Ten - Knize

Honorable Mentions: Kiehl's Original Musk; 21 from Costume National; & Aoud Cuir D'arabie from Montale

Much Love,
Wood Pipes

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Baking bread comes to mind, but for wearable fragrances, these are some I've gravitated to:

1. Balenciaga Ho Hang Club
2. Antaeus/Antaeus Sport
3. Givenchy Gentleman (1974)
4. Chanel for Men/Chanel Pour Monsieur/Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree
5. Boss No. 1 (older versions)
6. Chanel Bois Noir/Egoiste/Egoiste Concentree/Egoiste Platinum/Platinum Egoiste
7. Moschino Pour Homme
8. Dior Homme/Dior Homme Intense
9. Patou Pour Homme/Patou Pour Homme Prive
10. Versace L'Homme
11. Habit Rouge edc/Habit Rouge edt
12. Fahrenheit/Fahrenheit Summer

Kaern

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 2, 2008
I'll have a go, but I'll only be scratching the surface

Romeo Gigli - Romeo Gigli
Sud Est - Romeo Gigli
Grain de Plaisir - MPG
Santal Noble- MPG
Fumerie Turque [vintage] - Serge Lutens
Egoiste - Chanel
Dior Homme Intense - Dior
Aventus - Creed
L'Homme [vintage] - Versace
White - Comme des Garcons

d.bishkoff

Basenotes Member
Mar 10, 2018
Okay..so I had a really tough time with this question, because, let's be real folks: there are so many great fragrances out there, and, I personally love a lot of perfume so much that it was honestly really hard for me to narrow down a list of only ten things. I had such a hard time thinking up this list, that for a bit I was actually kind of like "come on lady! Do you even like perfume??" (In my head to myself of course lol.)
After thinking it over for a while though, I think these are some of the perfumes that I like the most!
These aren't ranked in any particular order, I'm just going to list them!

1.) "Paris" by Yves Saint Laurent

2.) "Beautiful" by Estee Lauder

3.) "Missoni" by Missoni for women

4.) "Indian Gardenia" by The Body Shop (from 2001, now discontinued.)

5.) Chanel No. 22 (Les Exclusifs.)

6.) "L'Effleur" by Coty (from the '90's, now discontinued.)

7.) "Beyond Paradise" by Estee Lauder

8.) "Tommy Girl" by Tommy Hilfiger

9.) "Pure Poison" by Christian Dior

10.) "Hypnotic Poison" by Christian Dior
Great list, Lady. Tommy Girl lives immortal in my heart as the first scent I smelled on a woman that wrapped me around her finger & left me thinking, enraptured in an adolescent erotic stupor, "Goddess. You are Perfection". It was 1999, & we were in 7th grade (there is an exact, pristine memory: junior high, in the hallway after leaving 1st period shop class), but even then she was a WOMAN, not a girl. She stole a piece my heart & still hasn't given it back. Thank you so kindly for the evocation!

CutSmut

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 4, 2017
Great list, Lady. Tommy Girl lives immortal in my heart as the first scent I smelled on a woman that wrapped me around her finger & left me thinking, enraptured in an adolescent erotic stupor, "Goddess. You are Perfection". It was 1999, & we were in 7th grade (there is an exact, pristine memory: junior high, in the hallway after leaving 1st period shop class), but even then she was a WOMAN, not a girl. She stole a piece my heart & still hasn't given it back. Thank you so kindly for the evocation!

Tommy Girl is fantastic. It does smell like a young girl.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I just tried it again this morning(from the carded sample again) and I was very pleasantly surprised. Still a lighter scent than I expected after the EN comparison(I agree that it’s quite different— my partner said, “people think THAT smells like Encre Noir??”) but it shares enough notes that I may have been fatigued. I have a Parfum sample. Generally Parfum is thought to be stronger than EDT, no? That’s been my understanding but I have a few scents that don’t work that way.

Rather than drag this thread further off topic, I'll just refer you to one of the many conversations that occurred when Chanel replaced the EDT with the EDP. You can find many more just by using the Search function.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/455865-Takes-on-Chanel-Sycomore-EDP

LadyDragonFire

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 21, 2011
Oh thanks, d. bishkoff! :) You have a very nice list too! Unfortunately, it has a number of things that (I think) you can't really find in physical stores here in Canada. :/ I went to our flagship Saks Fifth Avenue in Toronto, and it seems they don't carry things like Amouage or Montale here. :/ So I was unable to try some of those. And Holt Renfrew (our Canadian store that carries high end items) doesn't carry some of those niche perfumes either. But your list seems impressive. :) And, yes, I understand that perfume can evoke very strong memories, feelings and associations for some people, and that, partly for that reason, scent preferences can also bean extremely personal and intimate thing. Thanks for sharing your story. :)

On another topic, interestingly I looked up my list entries on Fragrantica out of sheer curiosity, just to see if the perfumes I picked might share anything in common? In fact, it seems that many of the perfumes I like share very similar note combinations and/or note listings, on Fragrantica anyway, even if they don't all smell the same in reality. I thought it was interesting that a number of them all share things in common like mimosa, tuberose, gardenia, orange blossom/neroli, jasmine, rose, lily-of-the-valley, honeysuckle (interestingly shows up in more than one), ylang-ylang, cassis (as a top note in a few of them), citrus top notes. Also, more than one has vanilla and/or tonka bean in the base as well. I think many also have both amber and musk and/or sandalwood combos in the base notes too. So yeah..it turns out there are shared similarities in a number of my favorite perfumes. They're not all completely random, unrelated things. :)

Buysblind

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2011
Invasion Barbare

Green Irish Tweed

Terre d'Hermes (circa 2008)

L'Air du Desert Marocain

Virgin Island Water

Fahrenheit

Menthe Fraiche

Bleu Parfum

A Taste of Heaven

Ambre Precieux

Runner Up: Norne

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Baking bread comes to mind, but for wearable fragrances, these are some I've gravitated to:

1. Balenciaga Ho Hang Club
2. Antaeus/Antaeus Sport
3. Givenchy Gentleman (1974)
4. Chanel for Men/Chanel Pour Monsieur/Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree
5. Boss No. 1 (older versions)
6. Chanel Bois Noir/Egoiste/Egoiste Concentree/Egoiste Platinum/Platinum Egoiste
7. Moschino Pour Homme
8. Dior Homme/Dior Homme Intense
9. Patou Pour Homme/Patou Pour Homme Prive
10. Versace L'Homme
11. Habit Rouge edc/Habit Rouge edt
12. Fahrenheit/Fahrenheit Summer

I like how you compacted the choices but this would be a good list nonetheless.

kewart

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 9, 2006
Eau Sauvage (original)
Rive Gauche (original women's version.)
Mitsouko
Jicky
Feminite du Bois (Shiseido)
Diorissimo (original)
Le Parfum de Therese
Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia
Y (YSL)
Fendi Theorema

zachong

Feb 3, 2016
I've smelt a few fumes, but this is the only one that's brought me to tears (and not just once, but twice). It surprised myself.

1. Vintage Gold Woman (Crystal bottle)

H_West

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 14, 2015
Turkish Leather (Pryn)

Burvuvu by January Scent

Kolonya by Rasei Fort

Mitsouko vintage

Bogue Mem

Sultan Pasha Ane Sombre

Sultan Pasha Diwanya

Sultan Pasha Thebes

Sultan Pasha Aurom D’angkor

Pryn Ayothaya

Sultan Pasha Irisoir

Ensar Oud EO1

Ensar Oud Iris Ghaliya

Rising Phoenix Sicilian Vanilla Attar

Areej le Dore Malik al Taif

Bortnikoff Coup de Poudre

Wow, there is 16 fragrances I've never tried. :)

Buzzlepuff

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 27, 2005
The best smelling fragrance I have ever smelled - taken in context of the present moment when I smelled them - compared to all others, but none yet to come - these are the best:

Guerlain Vetiver - '66's
Patou Pour Homme - '85's
Fahrenheit - '90's
Acqua di Gio - '96's
CdG Avignon - '99's
Creed Erolfa - ' 00's
Rose 31 - '07
M Puredistance - '11
Roja Dove UAE Aoud - '16
YSL - La Nuit de L'homme - '18
D&G The One for Men eau de parfum

Elvanshalee

Apr 1, 2019
Malle Portrait of a Lady
Malle Lys Méditerranée
Tauer Une Rose chyprée
Parfum d'Empire Tabac Tabou
Parfum d'Empire Wazamba
Perris Tubéreuse absolue
Estée Lauder Tubéreuse Gardénia
Bulgari Eau parfumée au thé vert extrême
Mugler Cologne
Narciso Rodriguez Narciso

Tradition

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 18, 2016
Heritage
Knize Ten
Chanel Cuir de Russie
Chanel Bois de Iles
Derby
Equipage
Bal a Versailles
Fougere Royale
Yardley English Lavender
Lanvin Scandal

Ifti

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 5, 2016
Subject to change, here are 10 that stand out from the topof me head:
1. Sycomore
2. Pour Lui
3. Polo Green
4. VCA PH
5. Encre Noire
6. Vetiver Guerlain
7. Habit Rouge Guerlain
8. Infusions Prada Vetiver
9. Azzaro PH
10. Gentleman Givenchy

Johnny_Ludlow

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 2, 2004
Staring at my bottles and trying to come up with ten.

Chanel Sycomore EdT
Hermes Eau d'Hermes (very vintage)
Chanel Egoiste (first version)
Czech & Speake No. 88 (Forester version)
Mouchoir de Monsieur (rectangular bottle)
Yohji Homme (vintage)
Dior Leather Oud (vintage)
Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo (vintage)
Gucci Nobile
Unum LAVS (first version)

Italia

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Off the top of my head (if I consult my Wardrobe, I’ll faff about for hours on this list), 10 best smelling perfumes for me:

Guerlain Vol de Nuit (vintage EDT/EDC)
DSH Perfumes Divine Gardens
DSH Perfumes Lautrec
Chanel Bois de Iles (EDT)
Serge Lutens La Myrrhe
Serge Lutens Mandarine Mandarin
Ralph Lauren Safari (vintage)
Teone Reinthal East
Teone Reinthal Blue Lotus
Hendley Perfumes Fume

Last edited:

Cheetah1919

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 16, 2016
Henry Jacques Roi Sans Equipage
Henry Jacques Soudain l Hiver
Areej Le Dore Agar de Noir
Amouage Tribute
Amouage Jubilation xxv
Agar Aura Khmer Kinam
Penhaligons Endymion
Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
Papillon Spell 125
Roja Creation E
Creed Spice and Wood

Kasignete

May 4, 2013
Marc Antoine Barrois Ganymede
Givenchy Gentleman
Tauer L'air du Desert Marocain
Guerlain Heritage
Axe Marine
YSL Kouros
Chanel Egoiste
Creed Neroli Savage
Armani Aqua di Gio
Creed Bois du portugal

Anomalus763

Nov 8, 2013
My current ten

Oud Maximus by Bortnikoff
Amber Aoud Absolue Precieux by Roja dove
Malik Al Taif by Areej Le Dore
Vintage Eau Savage Parfum by Dior
Eternal Oud by kilian
Ceylon by Xerjoff
Jubilation XXV by Amouage
Noir de Noir by Tom Ford
Christopher Street by Charenton Maceration
Korrigan by Lubin

MisterK

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 22, 2003
4711/Du Coq/Jean Marie Farina
Eau Sauvage knockoff oil (you guys can kill me later. It doesn't smell like Eau Sauvage but I've always loved this stuff. My wife loves the knockoff oil of Shalimar more than the real deal too. Go figure.)
Bois du Portugal
Tsar
Gendarme V
YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentrate
L'Occitane Vetyver
Worth Pour Homme

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015
Since the thread calls for a list of the most beautiful - not necessarily the most interesting, original, or best of a particular note or genre - for me it would have to include:

L'Heure Bleue
Apres L'Ondée
Mitsouko
Nahema
Mahora
Le Dix
Joy
En Avion
Tabac Blond
Narcisse Noir
Nuit de Noel
Cuir de Russie (Chanel)
Habanita
Je Reviens
Dryad
Secret of Venus
Royal Secret

I could go on. :)

ZhangFan

Sep 9, 2018
These days, with only one from each house:

Boucheron Pour Femme
Caron No. 3
Chanel No. 19
Dior Homme Intense
Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
Guerlain L'Heure Bleue
Hermes 24 Faubourg
Lanvin Arpege
Molinard Habanita
Yves St. Laurent Y

sables

Basenotes Junkie
Jun 3, 2005
Not necessarily my favorites, but some that have never been surpassed:

Cuir de Russie, Chanel
Sycomore, Chanel
Bandit, Piguet
Mitsouko, Guerlain
Shalimar, Guerlain
Derby, Guerlain
Eau Sauvage, Dior
Eau d' Hermès
Pour un Homme de Caron
Déclaration, Cartier
New York, Nicolaï
Mem, Bogue

_Nicolas_

Aug 16, 2021
Chanel Pour Monsieur EDT
Chanel No 5 EDP
Estee Lauder Lauder For Men
Armani Eau Pour Homme
YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme
Van Cleef & Arpels Midnight In Paris EDT
Chanel Egoiste
Chanel Platinum Egoiste
Acqua di Parma Fico di Amalfi
Rogue Perfumery Mousse Illuminee

Dantheman123

Basenotes Member
Dec 3, 2018
My best so far are:

1. Annick Goutal Sables(vintage). Beautiful, intoxicating Immortalle and Cinnamon with hints of Black Tea. It's rare, long lasting and collectible.

2. Halston Z-14(vintage). Stunningly beautiful with a sweet, smokey, red wine leaf notes and dried cognac and herbal leaves. The vintage is brutal with real oakmoss; 8-12 hrs longevity, projects 3 feet or more.

3. Halston I-12(vintage). Bold, powerful, mean green , lemony projection monster. Pine, labdanum and musk. Excellent longevity and sillage. This is what Burt Reynolds would wear on his movie set, if he did. A hairy chested monster.

4. Dior Homme Parfum. Timeless classic. Spicey, rich, luxurious with undertones of velvety leather and some suede. Smooth like a baby's bottom! Excellent longevity and moderate to heavy sillage: Dior, in their infinite, Galactica stupidity; discontinued it. Why? Only God
knows...

5. Preferred Stock Cologne(vintage). A classic cologne. The lavender, and what seems to me as violets, really does shine through along with the beautiful Vetiver and oakmoss. The vintage took over 500 different ingredients to make; today you'd expect to pay premium prices for any fragrance made like that! Very good longevity and sillage. I see prices starting to skyrocket. Why???

6. Karl Lagerfeld Claasic(vintage by Parfums). What a real workhorse and powerhouse. You'll get noticed. A ray of sunshine, dark orange juice in the bottle. Very spicey and floral, but manly. Very good longevity and sillage. Now, since KL is dead, prices have quadrupled. Ridiculous!!!

7. Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme LIDGE(vintage). A cocoa, spice bomb. Smooth, I mean rich and smooth. Excellent longevity and sillage. Expect to mortgage your home for one bottle on eBay.

8. Joop Homme(vintage). Vintage has the corn husk printed on the bottle and on the cap. When this purple liquid beast came out of Germany, it was in premium stores. Everyone wore it,, Everyone including the dog... reformulated, it was still beastly. Excellent, excellent longevity and sillage. Now, juice is getting real clear like water. Hmmm. Vintages are getting expensive. Dark purple juice is what you want.

9. Giorgio Red(vintage). Vintage says Giorgio Beverly Hills on bottom of bottle. Eddie Murphy wore it in the 80's. A real panty dropper scent in its day. New stuff is a shadow of its former self. Excellent longevity and sillage. Powerful, spicey strawberry nuanced edt.

10. Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male(vintage). The sweet, minty vanilla with the bold freshness of spices, woke everyone up in the fragrance world and in the market. Excellent, excellent, nuclear longevity and nuclear sillage. Too much and you'd choke. 1st formulation 1995-2005, 2nd formulation 2006-2012, etc. Now, it's just crap. Plain sugar water that smells like the plastic covering of a barbie doll. RIP.

ImaFedec

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 12, 2019
Don't have 10 because the fragrances need to make a lasting and emotional effect for me to put them in a top list.
Some I just faint, but indelible memories:

-Dior Homme Intense 2011. For years, I was intimidated by this fragrance. It was a time were I only wore one at the time (simpler times). Every time I was near that fragrance, I had to sample it. I truly regret not having bought it at the time. Today, I think the fragrance is nice, but it also clearly changed.

-Chergui - SL: This was my first niche fragrance ever. It is such a good transition in that hobby of originality, wearability, sensuality. But it also wore itslef like a close friend. Still wear it regularly today, and it is one of the fragrances of my collection I do not get tired of. For instance, it is only recently that I could clearly perceive the Tobacco note. Before that, I couldn't (and it wasn't a problem).

-Flower - Kenzo: The bottle, first. I will never forget that bottle. Someone close in my family wore it, and I loved smelling it. Surely because it was worn by that person, but also the smell.

-Vol de Nuit - Guerlain: This is beautiful. Probably the best term for this fragrance. It is not opulent, it is not long-lasting, it is not super original but that is OK. It is, for me, a fragrance that combine all the notes to near perfection. I am also drawn to the name, for some reason. Very fitting and, well, beautiful.

That is all I can think of. Obviously, I have a dozen more that I could make a list from. But many of those I would not sell as the BEST I have ever smelled, since I do not have the same emotional attachment to them (If you understand what I mean).

LadyDragonFire

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 21, 2011
These days, with only one from each house:

Boucheron Pour Femme
Caron No. 3
Chanel No. 19
Dior Homme Intense
Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur
Guerlain L'Heure Bleue
Hermes 24 Faubourg
Lanvin Arpege
Molinard Habanita
Yves St. Laurent Y
Ooohh! I forgot 24 Faubourg! *facepalm* lol :p
I fully agree! That is certainly one of the best smelling women's perfumes too, and should be included on just about any list! :)

LadyDragonFire

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 21, 2011
My best so far are:

1. Annick Goutal Sables(vintage). Beautiful, intoxicating Immortalle and Cinnamon with hints of Black Tea. It's rare, long lasting and collectible.

2. Halston Z-14(vintage). Stunningly beautiful with a sweet, smokey, red wine leaf notes and dried cognac and herbal leaves. The vintage is brutal with real oakmoss; 8-12 hrs longevity, projects 3 feet or more.

3. Halston I-12(vintage). Bold, powerful, mean green , lemony projection monster. Pine, labdanum and musk. Excellent longevity and sillage. This is what Burt Reynolds would wear on his movie set, if he did. A hairy chested monster.

4. Dior Homme Parfum. Timeless classic. Spicey, rich, luxurious with undertones of velvety leather and some suede. Smooth like a baby's bottom! Excellent longevity and moderate to heavy sillage: Dior, in their infinite, Galactica stupidity; discontinued it. Why? Only God
knows...

5. Preferred Stock Cologne(vintage). A classic cologne. The lavender, and what seems to me as violets, really does shine through along with the beautiful Vetiver and oakmoss. The vintage took over 500 different ingredients to make; today you'd expect to pay premium prices for any fragrance made like that! Very good longevity and sillage. I see prices starting to skyrocket. Why???

6. Karl Lagerfeld Claasic(vintage by Parfums). What a real workhorse and powerhouse. You'll get noticed. A ray of sunshine, dark orange juice in the bottle. Very spicey and floral, but manly. Very good longevity and sillage. Now, since KL is dead, prices have quadrupled. Ridiculous!!!

7. Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain Extreme LIDGE(vintage). A cocoa, spice bomb. Smooth, I mean rich and smooth. Excellent longevity and sillage. Expect to mortgage your home for one bottle on eBay.

8. Joop Homme(vintage). Vintage has the corn husk printed on the bottle and on the cap. When this purple liquid beast came out of Germany, it was in premium stores. Everyone wore it,, Everyone including the dog... reformulated, it was still beastly. Excellent, excellent longevity and sillage. Now, juice is getting real clear like water. Hmmm. Vintages are getting expensive. Dark purple juice is what you want.

9. Giorgio Red(vintage). Vintage says Giorgio Beverly Hills on bottom of bottle. Eddie Murphy wore it in the 80's. A real panty dropper scent in its day. New stuff is a shadow of its former self. Excellent longevity and sillage. Powerful, spicey strawberry nuanced edt.

10. Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male(vintage). The sweet, minty vanilla with the bold freshness of spices, woke everyone up in the fragrance world and in the market. Excellent, excellent, nuclear longevity and nuclear sillage. Too much and you'd choke. 1st formulation 1995-2005, 2nd formulation 2006-2012, etc. Now, it's just crap. Plain sugar water that smells like the plastic covering of a barbie doll. RIP.
I should think of a list for my favorite masculines too (I keep only doing the perfume I actually wear, but I love masculine fragrance too.)
I would definitely include Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male on my list! :) I'm glad someone mentioned it!

Shadowartisttxl

Basenotes Junkie
Mar 25, 2016
Currently:

Sultan Pasha Dewaniya

Prin Mriga

Dusita Oudh Infini

Dusita Melodie D'Lamour

Olympic Orchids Tropic of Capricorn

Bogue Il Dieci X

Bogue O/E

Sultan Pasha Thebes