The 10 Best Fragrances You've Ever Smelled

Tyronious

Feb 28, 2010
You can go with 5, 10, 15, some odd number, it doesn't matter.

I've sampled about 150+ fragrances to date and these are the 10 best to my nose...

Rose 31 by Le Labo (pre reformulation)

Aventus by Creed (balanced pre 2016 versions)

Straight To Heaven Extreme by Kilian

Creation E/Enigma by Roja Parfums

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Bleu De Chanel by Chanel

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Tuxedo by Yves Saint Laurent

The One by Dolce & Gabbana (EDT & EDP)

Royal Oud by Creed

Theirs more but if I could only have 10 I'd be content with these.

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
Gengis Khan (vintage)
Balafre (vintage)
Siecle
Gatsby
No.1 Pure Parfum Concentrated Limited
The Five Le Monarque fragrances

Last edited:

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
Turkish Leather (Pryn)

Burvuvu by January Scent

Kolonya by Rasei Fort

Mitsouko vintage

Bogue Mem

Sultan Pasha Ane Sombre

Sultan Pasha Diwanya

Sultan Pasha Thebes

Sultan Pasha Aurom D’angkor

Pryn Ayothaya

Sultan Pasha Irisoir

Ensar Oud EO1

Ensar Oud Iris Ghaliya

Rising Phoenix Sicilian Vanilla Attar

Areej le Dore Malik al Taif

Bortnikoff Coup de Poudre

notspendingamillion

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 2, 2018
Not favorite, but best...

Jubilation XXV
Dior Homme
L'air du Desert Morocain
Musc Ravageur
Ambre Nuit
Portrait of a Lady
Acqua di Gio

Im gonna stop at 7 because there seems to be a tier change there.

MegaMav

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 12, 2013
Escentric 03
Profumo di Firenze 1954 Terrarossa
Hermes Equipage
Histoires de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade (Vintage)
Carven Homme
Frapin Speakeasy
Pascal Morabito Or Black
Jovoy L'art de la Guerre
Ralph Lauren Polo (Vintage Cosmair)
Loewe Escencia Pour Homme (Vintage Red Lettering)

yellowtone

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 27, 2016
Hmmm, I'd say looking at my wardrobe and most worn should tell you something, but I guess I don't always wear what I think smells the best.

Vintage Madame Rochas - The flowers perfectly combine with the softest, fluffiest aldehydes I've ever smelled. Gorgeous.
Chanel Cuir de Russie - That was love at first smell for me; at once familiar (I'm a long time no. 5 wearer) and exciting
Hiram Green Dilettante - Orange blossom perfection, joy in a bottle for me
L'Artisan Parfumeur Safran Troublant - A simple, tender, lovable delight
Prima T Bruno Acampora - Strong, soapy, green, floral; everything I love about perfume
Chanel 31 Rue Cambon - The olfactory equivalent of a cashmere sweater still warm from the body heat of someone you love

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
Arranged alphabetically:

• Annick Goutal Un Matin d'Orage
  • Aramis Havana
  • Dior Eau Sauvage EDT
  • Guerlain Héritage EDT
  • Hermès Eau des Merveilles
  • Houbigant Fougère Royale
  • Lalique Pour Homme (Lion)
  • Santa Maria Novella Acqua di Colonia
  • Tauer Au Coeur du Désert
  • Tom Ford Ombré Leather 16

Last edited:

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
The absolute highlight experienced so far, in no particular (therefore no alphabetical nor chronological) order:

several Chanel, including Antaeus and Egoiste
a few Penhaligon's fragrances, particularly Blenheim Bouquet, Sartorial, Endymion, Opus 1870
Knize Ten
Mouchoir de Monsieur by Guerlain
Armbre Sultan
Furyo by Bogart
Armani Eau pour Homme
Creed Bois du Portugal

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Not favorite, but best...

Jubilation XXV
Dior Homme
L'air du Desert Morocain
Musc Ravageur
Ambre Nuit
Portrait of a Lady
Acqua di Gio

Im gonna stop at 7 because there seems to be a tier change there.

It's a fun, original list. Nothing obscure, but a unique grouping that makes sense to me.

I sometimes think of Portrait of a Lady as a kind of musty rose version Dior Homme. Something in the base of Portrait of a Lady reminds me of Dior Homme.

Unfortunately, Maison Christian Dior, Amouage, and Frederic Malle cost a million.

Primatesinplaid

Feb 16, 2019
Dior Fahrenheit
Jubilation XXV
Bacarrat rouge 540
Dior Sauvage
Crabtree & Evelyn for men
CDG Kyoto
Penhaligons Endymion
By Kilian straight to heaven
Dolce Gabanna the one
L’artisan Passage D’enfer

MrPod

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 10, 2018
Inverno Russo - Areej Le Dore
Mem - Bogue
Slowdive - Hiram Green
Siberian Musk - Areej Le Dore
Rania J - Ambre Loup
Maai - Bogue Profumo
Russian Oud - Areej Le Dore
Russian Musk - Areej Le Dore
Baccarat 540 Rouge
Slumberhouse - Norne

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
As of now:

Patchouli 24
1740 Marquis de Sade
Tuscan Leather//Ombré Leather(I go back & forth)
Egoiste(I haven’t smelled it since I wore it religiously in the 90s)
L’Air du Desert Marocain
Jubilation xxv
Absolue Pour le Soir
Encre Noir
Thè Noir 29(or santal 33, semi interchangeable slots)
Kiehls Original Musk

Honorable mention to le male for my 20s! I’m excited to get Ambre Sultan and the Bogue heavy hitters in decant size this week, so this may change!!!

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012

1000 - Jean Patou
Cabochard - Gres
Diorella - Dior
Diorama - Dior
Eau d'Hermes - Hermes
Eau Sauvage - Dior
Femme - Rochas
Jolie Madame - Balmain
Ninfeo Mio - Goutal
No. 19 - Chanel
Sycomore EdT - Chanel

All in vintage formulations except Ninfeo Mio.

Roudnitska rules, obviously.

sjg3839

Basenotes Institution
Aug 21, 2012
Ambra Mediterranea
Polo (Cosmair)
Gucci Intense Oud
Aventus
Virgin Island Water
Fahrenheit
Oud Wood
Dior Homme Cologne
Dior Homme Sport (2012)
Bergamatto Marino

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
Cook.bot and other lovers of Sycomore. I just received a carded official Chanel sample and I was shocked at how light it seemed to me... Do you find it to be very faint or is it possible I'm anosmic to some of the notes? (full disclosure, I had been wearing Encre Noir earlier in the day-- I've heard them compared but Encre Noir wears heavy to my nose and Sycomore was nearly invisible-- Is it possible that I had fatigued my nose with an overload of similar notes?)

Thanks! ps I'm digging how much love the Jubilations are getting. What fantastic scents.

ultravisitor

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 4, 2014
Cook.bot and other lovers of Sycomore. I just received a carded official Chanel sample and I was shocked at how light it seemed to me... Do you find it to be very faint or is it possible I'm anosmic to some of the notes? (full disclosure, I had been wearing Encre Noir earlier in the day-- I've heard them compared but Encre Noir wears heavy to my nose and Sycomore was nearly invisible-- Is it possible that I had fatigued my nose with an overload of similar notes?)

Thanks! ps I'm digging how much love the Jubilations are getting. What fantastic scents.

Try spraying it on yourself from a full size bottle. I've never felt Sycomore was invisible.

boui_boui

Nov 14, 2018
Guerlain Guet Apens
Guerlain Derby
GUerlain Songe d'un bois ete
Serge Lutens De Profundis
Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
MFK Absolue pour le Soir
MFK BR540
Frederic Malle Portrait of a Lady
Frederic Malle Une rose
Chanel Bois de Iles

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Cook.bot and other lovers of Sycomore. I just received a carded official Chanel sample and I was shocked at how light it seemed to me... Do you find it to be very faint or is it possible I'm anosmic to some of the notes?

Is your sample the EDP or EDT? I own only the EDT, and no, it is definitely not light or faint.

(full disclosure, I had been wearing Encre Noir earlier in the day-- I've heard them compared but Encre Noir wears heavy to my nose and Sycomore was nearly invisible-- Is it possible that I had fatigued my nose with an overload of similar notes?)

That seems very possible. I'd wait a day or two and give your Sycomore sample another try.

I dislike Encre Noir and, rather ridiculously, I'm personally offended by its comparisons to Sycomore. EN seems harsh and scratchy to me -- although I did find their recent 'extreme' version a bit of an improvement.

tcmquincy

Apr 4, 2019
Kilian - Black Phantom
Creed - Aventus
Mont Blanc - Legend Intense (discontinued :sad:)
YSL - La Nuit de L'homme
Prada - L'homme
SpiceBomb Extreme

Dior Sauvage & versace eros both have a special place in my heart, even tho alot of basenoters dont like them. For my list I only chose ones that I own^

mr. reasonable

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 1, 2009
Difficult :)

L'Heure Bleue
Mitsouko
Shalimar
Apres l'Ondee
Sous le Vent
Patou Pour Homme
Malle Une Fleur de Cassie
MDCI Chypre Palatin
Auphorie Miyako
Dior Granville
MPG Santal Noble

+ the original C&E Mysore Sandalwood EdT (until the sandalwood ran out in the late 80s)

+ GIT. Used to wear it a lot in the 90s.

bleach86

Nov 9, 2018
Givenchy play intense (my first purchase)

Terre d'hermes edt

Dior homme

Dior homme intense

Lidge

Russian oud by areej

Oud Maximus by bortnikoff

GIT

Kuwait by Roja dove

Pardon by Nasomatto

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
Is your sample the EDP or EDT? I own only the EDT, and no, it is definitely not light or faint.

That seems very possible. I'd wait a day or two and give your Sycomore sample another try.

I dislike Encre Noir and, rather ridiculously, I'm personally offended by its comparisons to Sycomore. EN seems harsh and scratchy to me -- although I did find their recent 'extreme' version a bit of an improvement.

I just tried it again this morning(from the carded sample again) and I was very pleasantly surprised. Still a lighter scent than I expected after the EN comparison(I agree that it’s quite different— my partner said, “people think THAT smells like Encre Noir??”) but it shares enough notes that I may have been fatigued. I have a Parfum sample. Generally Parfum is thought to be stronger than EDT, no? That’s been my understanding but I have a few scents that don’t work that way.

the_good_life

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 2, 2006
Very partial list and I have to point out it's the combinatuon of the perfume and the moment/context that made this a grandiose smell experience. It's never the object but the nature of your interaction with it. So, off the cuff:

Creed Royal English Leather: first niche ever smelled. Perfume can smell like this???? Still a favorite.
1950s Farina Gegenüber original formula Eau de Cologne: So subtle, fragile, beautiful, time in a bottle
Patou pour homme: cerebrally and emotionally stunning
Via del Pofumo, Grezzo d'Eleganza: suave perfection
Neuffer Per Fumum: A Sanctified Rose: I am a whirling dervish at one with the cosmos
Norma Kamali Incense: suddenly eveything makes sense
Serge Lutens Rousse: my wife. i love her.
Shalimar Extrait: Platonic Essence of Perfume
Guerlain Djedi: like spotting the rarest butterfly only ever talked about. And then it really is that beautiful.
Knize Ten: ah, non-toxic masculinity. This is why I own vintage black tie...
Gobin Daudé, Sou le Buis: how do you get the garden at Versailles into a bottle? How?
Dominguez Vetiver Hombre: Damn, it's my childhood barber...
Jil Sander Man Pure: My scent of studenthood. Smelled far better than I felt at the time. Also as sophisticated as I thought I was.
Odori Profumi di Firenze, Tabaco: outlaw smoking and make everyone wear this instead.
C&S No. 88 (vintage): outgoths anything. Amazing rose-geranium and frangipani. Dark Neo-Victorian perfection
Bogue Maai: mind-blowing rebirth of classic perfumery

I could go on...

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
Very partial list and I have to point out it's the combinatuon of the perfume and the moment/context that made this a grandiose smell experience. It's never the object but the nature of your interaction with it. So, off the cuff:

Creed Royal English Leather: first niche ever smelled. Perfume can smell like this???? Still a favorite.
1950s Farina Gegenüber original formula Eau de Cologne: So subtle, fragile, beautiful, time in a bottle
Patou pour homme: cerebrally and emotionally stunning
Via del Pofumo, Grezzo d'Eleganza: suave perfection
Neuffer Per Fumum: A Sanctified Rose: I am a whirling dervish at one with the cosmos
Norma Kamali Incense: suddenly eveything makes sense
Serge Lutens Rousse: my wife. i love her.
Shalimar Extrait: Platonic Essence of Perfume
Guerlain Djedi: like spotting the rarest butterfly only ever talked about. And then it really is that beautiful.
Knize Ten: ah, non-toxic masculinity. This is why I own vintage black tie...
Gobin Daudé, Sou le Buis: how do you get the garden at Versailles into a bottle? How?
Dominguez Vetiver Hombre: Damn, it's my childhood barber...
Jil Sander Man Pure: My scent of studenthood. Smelled far better than I felt at the time. Also as sophisticated as I thought I was.
Odori Profumi di Firenze, Tabaco: outlaw smoking and make everyone wear this instead.
C&S No. 88 (vintage): outgoths anything. Amazing rose-geranium and frangipani. Dark Neo-Victorian perfection
Bogue Maai: mind-blowing rebirth of classic perfumery

I could go on...

Great list! Especially for the context. It’s so true. I get Maai in the mail today!!! So excited. Now you have me wanting to try C&S No. 88. Since I myself skew goth. Is it hard to find the vintage and, if so, is the reformulation worth it?

d.bishkoff

Basenotes Member
Mar 10, 2018
Inverno Russo - Areej Le Dore
Mem - Bogue
Slowdive - Hiram Green
Siberian Musk - Areej Le Dore
Rania J - Ambre Loup
Maai - Bogue Profumo
Russian Oud - Areej Le Dore
Russian Musk - Areej Le Dore
Baccarat 540 Rouge
Slumberhouse - Norne
AWESOME selection. Fell in love with Ambre Loup this now passing winter. Everything here that I've smelled, I love. Everything I haven't is toward the top of my "to try" list.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

d.bishkoff

Basenotes Member
Mar 10, 2018
Gengis Khan (vintage)
Balafre (vintage)
Siecle
Gatsby
No.1 Pure Parfum Concentrated Limited
The Five Le Monarque fragrances
I've been so curious to try Gengis Khan for some time, even more so since witnessing your consistently expressed adoration over my time here (also the namesake, to my understanding is a distant distant distant relative of mine). Is it very difficult to locate the older vintages? Any recommendations as to best places to look?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

LadyDragonFire

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 21, 2011
Okay..so I had a really tough time with this question, because, let's be real folks: there are so many great fragrances out there, and, I personally love a lot of perfume so much that it was honestly really hard for me to narrow down a list of only ten things. I had such a hard time thinking up this list, that for a bit I was actually kind of like "come on lady! Do you even like perfume??" (In my head to myself of course lol.)
After thinking it over for a while though, I think these are some of the perfumes that I like the most!
These aren't ranked in any particular order, I'm just going to list them!

1.) "Paris" by Yves Saint Laurent

2.) "Beautiful" by Estee Lauder

3.) "Missoni" by Missoni for women

4.) "Indian Gardenia" by The Body Shop (from 2001, now discontinued.)

5.) Chanel No. 22 (Les Exclusifs.)

6.) "L'Effleur" by Coty (from the '90's, now discontinued.)

7.) "Beyond Paradise" by Estee Lauder

8.) "Tommy Girl" by Tommy Hilfiger

9.) "Pure Poison" by Christian Dior

10.) "Hypnotic Poison" by Christian Dior

Latest News