Thank you for suggesting Chanel Pour Monsieur

finsfan

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 6, 2003
I today wore the scent and at first, I could not smell any citrus. I cannot tell you how to describe the initial hit from this cologne other than perhaps my nose read the lavender note as powder. It was equally balanced between this powder and whatever ingredient it is that gives it that piercing sort of smell, the best way I can describe it. This persisted for about two hours which I found not unpleasant. My wife really liked it and said it smelled to her stronger, like to say louder, then the Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche.

At about the two hour mark I would say the Allure started becoming a skin scent. The PM persisted in its projection. By about seven hours, they were both able to be smelled on the back of my hand, the PM moreso but there was much less powder

Pippin06

always learning--often laughing
Feb 8, 2017
I today wore the scent and at first, I could not smell any citrus. I cannot tell you how to describe the initial hit from this cologne other than perhaps my nose read the lavender note as powder. It was equally balanced between this powder and whatever ingredient it is that gives it that piercing sort of smell, the best way I can describe it. This persisted for about two hours which I found not unpleasant. My wife really liked it and said it smelled to her stronger, like to say louder, then the Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche.

At about the two hour mark I would say the Allure started becoming a skin scent. The PM persisted in its projection. By about seven hours, they were both able to be smelled on the back of my hand, the PM moreso but there was much less powder
Happy to know you and your wife are enjoying this classic, finsfan. One of my all-time colognes. Absolutely love it! I have the vintage splash when it was called, "Chanel for Men," and the Pour Monsieur edp. Have also owned the Pour Monsieur edt, but unfortunately, this is no longer available in the U.S. Hoping Chanel will bring this back!

ToughCool

More Cool Than Tough
Basenotes Plus
Jun 12, 2008
Glad it’s working. It took me a day or 2 to get it and love it. I let it sit and then when I smelled the sprayer I was like “what is that?” Eventually a little space and going easy on the trigger did it for me. I reach for it all the time now.

Scentologist

Basenotes Institution
Apr 17, 2007
Glad you enjoy it! I love the EDT and this might be weird, but If I ever wear a fragrance to bed, this is it. I spray some on the top of my hand. It is very comforting and this is one fragrance that shines and is classic! I love that bracing lime citrus mixed with a hint of woods and powder. I don't normally like powder but here, it makes sense and works.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
I too am in the minority that prefers the EdT over the EdP of Chanel Pour Monsieur.

Both have wonderful woody notes - cardamom for the EdT and a gorgeous nutmeg for the EdP. Somehow though I feel the EdP has been spoiled with a tad too much vanilla and sweetness. Perhaps I'm biased as I grew knowing the EdT, but the few times I've tried the EdP, I couldn't get what the fuss was about.

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
Was hoping you would Pep! Congratulations! Enjoy. Not sure sending a decant from the States to Melbourne is allowed. If it is, and you'd like, PM me. I would be honored and happy to send you a decant of Chanel for Men (pre-Pour Monsieur).
Pippin, you've reference this "Chanel for Men" a few times. Trying to get a Google history on it and only see one bottle labeled "Chanel for Men."

What is the history of this version? I've assumed it was just another way of referencing Chanel Pour Monsieur, but I do see a bottle distinctly label "Chanel for Men." It's not in any frag databases that I can find.

saminlondon

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 25, 2011
Pippin, you've reference this "Chanel for Men" a few times. Trying to get a Google history on it and only see one bottle labeled "Chanel for Men."

What is the history of this version? I've assumed it was just another way of referencing Chanel Pour Monsieur, but I do see a bottle distinctly label "Chanel for Men." It's not in any frag databases that I can find.
Me too. I'd always assumed it was just a way of marketing Pour Monsieur to American men.

Opiate

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2010
The vintage EDT smells more like N°5 for men.
This is one of the few fragrances where I actually prefer the newer version.

Reactions: rum

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
The vintage EDT smells more like N°5 for men.
This is one of the few fragrances where I actually prefer the newer version.
I agree. The vintage stuff just came across as way too powdery for me. The modern EdT mind you sits close to the skin and is designed to be a soft, gentlemanly polite scent. A superb choice for an interview IMHO.

WarmJewel

Oct 5, 2022
I'd recommend sampling the vintage formulations of Chanel Pour Monsieur if the opportunity presents itself.
What age would you define 'vintage' as? I'm keen to try (retry!) a vintage one.

I've recently rediscovered Pour Monsieur after having first tried it many years ago but not really appreciating it at the time. I was young, naive and inexperienced with fragrances at that time and felt it was 'too mature'. Now I'm older and adore it having probably found my signature.

I recently tried (and have bought a bottle of) No. 89 by Floris and I was immediately struck by the familiarity of that fragrance. I knew I'd smelt this somewhere before but could not remember what it reminded me of. As soon as I smelled Pour Monsieur I knew immediately that this was the one that No. 89 reminded me of, it's remarkable how similar they are. There are differences but distinct similarities too. Pour Monsieur is much closer to No. 89 than the one it usually gets compared to—Eau Sauvage.

If anyone likes Pour Monsieur, and wants something similar but slightly more floral, do try No. 89.

GoldWineMemories

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 22, 2019
I agree. The vintage stuff just came across as way too powdery for me. The modern EdT mind you sits close to the skin and is designed to be a soft, gentlemanly polite scent. A superb choice for an interview IMHO.

So it's not just me. I noticed I enjoyed a bottle from the 2000's much more than I enjoy a bottle of pre 80's I want to say Pour Monsieur. The older one hasn't turned or anything, but yes much more masculine powdery aspect to it.

No. 89 has this accord in it that smells like old men's hair oil in the dry down. I smell the same thing in New York Intense. Luckily, no such thing in Pour Monsieur.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...