Thank God for Basenotes! A haven from the madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Thank you and everyone here on BN for the thoughtful, considerate post and the constant influx and indeed haven of benevolence, but also enthusiasm, camaraderie, wit and erudition way beyond fragrances alone steadily enriching but also enriched by this fascinating community.

P

piney

Thank you and everyone here on BN for the thoughtful, considerate post and the constant influx and indeed haven of benevolence, but also enthusiasm, camaraderie, wit and erudition way beyond fragrances alone steadily enriching but also enriched by this fascinating community.

This

Reventon

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 26, 2019

Darn tootin. There are some cool discussions here, but more importantly there’s a lotta good people.

mfinz8

Mar 1, 2019
A bit selective I think...

As of today 38 people have died of coronavirus in the US.

Last year there were 434 mass shootings.

...basenotes might give you a nice diversion any day of the week, there's always awful things going on, and the news at the moment isn't that bad.

ChuckW

Aug 21, 2001
A bit selective I think...

As of today 38 people have died of coronavirus in the US.

Last year there were 434 mass shootings.

...basenotes might give you a nice diversion any day of the week, there's always awful things going on, and the news at the moment isn't that bad.

It's a new devil. And the news is only amplifying the hysteria.

mfinz8

Mar 1, 2019

It's not a new devil. It is just a purely scientific matter, that's all, no right, no wrong, no intent, no purpose. Just a disease nobody as yet is resilient to.

The news does amplify it all, that's for sure. Big time!

It is selective to be put off by some news stories though, there are shootings left right and centre, people dying as a result of poverty and politics, abuse, murders... in the end, it is in the news a lot, but wanting a distraction from the news is as easy as turning it off. You'd be turning off something that has killed not that many people in the run of things.

There are all sorts of awful things going on all the time that we actually can stop, but don't. Looking away from coronvirus news is just looking away from another type of news that people look away from every single day.

Plus, REMEMBER that covid-19 is just a mild viral illness for most !!!

Sandy

Jan 15, 2005
The last year or so was a terrible time for my family, even without this epidemic. But we must hope and hope. Best to you all.

Quarry

Doing the BN salute
Basenotes Plus
Aug 9, 2005
Sending a healthy, vigorous, virtual hug to all you good people who traffic BN.
Your thoughtful comments about all things significantly help me feel better about humanity.

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
Well 1000 people have died in italy from the virus so it's pretty serious actually..
Meanwhile in Turkey only 1 person has been infected according to media outlets.
That's amazing.

Andrei Bolkonsky

Feb 20, 2020
I created a mathematical model of the spread of the disease, based on an MIT model used for the SARS Flu epidemic in the early 00's. Yes, maybe 1 third or more of the population of many countries will be infected. But the mortality rate is around 3%.....and it is mainly very old people or people with other life-threatening diseases who will die. Just like regular flu, which can be fatal to these groups. Here's the model:

Valter Modelo.JPG

P.S. The number of dead people can be calculated by multiplying the stock of "population recovered from Corona" by 3%.

Schnozmos

Oct 25, 2018
It really is a nice reprieve. I still can't believe I'm reading and posting (mostly reading) about fragrances. Totally unexpected new area of interest that only opened up when I happened to stumble upon BN. Big hats off to all the interesting and knowledgable posters.

notspendingamillion

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 2, 2018
I have a cough, sore throat, I think its just a cold. But, as it is, I have completely lost my sense of smell. Very wierd. Im completely nose blind to even like Vicks vapo rub. Cant smell a thing. Its sad.

Melbourne Man

Sep 23, 2016
:tekst-toppie:
It's not a new devil. It is just a purely scientific matter, that's all, no right, no wrong, no intent, no purpose. Just a disease nobody as yet is resilient to.

The news does amplify it all, that's for sure. Big time!

It is selective to be put off by some news stories though, there are shootings left right and centre, people dying as a result of poverty and politics, abuse, murders... in the end, it is in the news a lot, but wanting a distraction from the news is as easy as turning it off. You'd be turning off something that has killed not that many people in the run of things.

There are all sorts of awful things going on all the time that we actually can stop, but don't. Looking away from coronvirus news is just looking away from another type of news that people look away from every single day.

Plus, REMEMBER that covid-19 is just a mild viral illness for most !!!

woodnotes55

Oct 27, 2016
It really is a nice reprieve. I still can't believe I'm reading and posting (mostly reading) about fragrances. Totally unexpected new area of interest that only opened up when I happened to stumble upon BN. Big hats off to all the interesting and knowledgable posters.

Fully agreed. As to the comments on ignoring/not ignoring the health issues, some of us might be diverted from other topics. Personally am totally sick of friend A who has endless stories how people are unfair to the president and he is saving us from communist hell, then person B goes on and on how the president is evil and will be showing up at my house to steal my puppy (even if I don't have one). Don't wanna hear it!!! It's nice to spend a little time somewhere rarely political, and where people can disagree in a friendly and civil manner.....

mrcologneguy

Jan 2, 2009
Lost in a fine mist of Creed Bois de Cedrat as I type these words. Thank you, Basenoters, for providing an island of calm and distraction in an otherwise worrisome world.

Mikeaveli2682

Apr 18, 2018

I disagree. I believe the situation is going to rapidly deteriorate in the U.S. in the near future. This is serious and we should all be very vigilant about fighting the spread in our own day to day lives.

Kitty2Shoes

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 17, 2016
I've been holed up at home for 3 weeks on surgery recovery and have another 5 more weeks to go. Apparently work has agreed I'm lucky to be at home and not doing much. I don't have cable tv so I can thankfully ignore the 24/7 parrot cycle and I ignore most news websites as is. Rather watch old CSI reruns at the moment.

Several of my kids weekend and after school activities have been cancelled in the meantime as more and more cases start hitting closer to home and I hear schools may shut down for a bit coming up. Sigh.

NZFH

Apr 27, 2016
I have a cough, sore throat, I think its just a cold. But, as it is, I have completely lost my sense of smell. Very wierd. Im completely nose blind to even like Vicks vapo rub. Cant smell a thing. Its sad.

I don't mean to fear-monger but being noseblind even to Vicks vaporub is quite significant. You don't want the loss of smell to become permanent, which happened to a friend of mind after a sore throat/cold.

speckmann0706

Mar 8, 2017
I'm smelling great during the zombie apacolypse!

+1 for sure I’m good for the long haul! :laugh:

I don’t feel so bad after all now hoarding extra bottles of my favorites, things might slow to a crawl soon with closures and people working from home if it comes to that.

Also glad I have this forum to come to and distract from the world problems right now, music work and fragrances for me this year forward hope everyone here and their families stay well.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2012
I have my fingers crossed for everybody here. I hope, of course, we all stay healthy, but also, I hope we all manage the financial and emotional fallout. I have friends in the entertainment industry who are already seeing layoffs. I'm sure folks working in tourism are seeing the same if not worse, and this is only the beginning. Sigh.

I'm smelling great during the zombie apacolypse!

COME ON, MAN!!! Have you learned nothing from The Walking Dead?

Zombies + Smelling Good = Bad News.

How awesome would it be if Zombies are repelled by Interlude Man? A 100ml bottle is at least a 10 year supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News