Terre d'Hermes EDT stability/performance

Apr 4, 2020
Hi all,

Ive run into a bit of a strange issue with my TdH. I first smelled and tested TdH EDT/parfum/intense vetiver from samples directly from Hermes. Later on I got a 2019 bottle of TdH EDT from Costco and at first it was quite weak compared to my sample. The orange was weaker and overall it smelled kind of alcohol-y. I read from some other users that it can take a bit of time for it to get back to a similar performance.

So I used mine a few times and left it to sit for a month or so and lo' and behold, it had gotten more potent. Im not sure if oxygen needed to get in or something to happen but it improved and I was happy.

~8-9 months later, I have been exploring other fragrances and I find the TdH is back to having dismal performance. The scent fades within an hour regardless of where I spray it or how much/little. Ive done a single spray on a wrist, or sprays to the back of my neck and navel, or just to clothing, and it seems to have just gotten weaker. I know its rich in iso E so I keep that in mind, but Ive also asked friends if they can smell it and they all say its quite weak.

I have seen a few other threads here describing something similar, is TdH just prone to going bad? Is this just a bad bottle? I store all of my fragrances in a linen cupboard in a washroom. The shower in that washroom is almost never used, maybe a couple times in the last 8 months, so the temperature is fairly stable and humidity is lower. I do store some of my cleaning products in there but none of my other scents seem to be affected.

PotassiumSnow

Jun 13, 2021
You experience with TdH EDT is quite normal. For me it only projects moderately and lasts about 2-3 hours then becomes a fairly close skin scent unless I really over spray my clothing with it. The TDH Intense Vetiver is a bit stronger but last about the same or a touch longer for me. I thought I was going nose blind to it and took a break from it for about 2 months and just recently came back to the Vetiver and it's the same story. It's one of my all time favorite fragrances so I just overspray when I want to wear it and I've never had one complaint in close quarter environments when I do. It just not intended to be a projection monster. Try the parfum verson of TDH and see if that works for you.

notspendingamillion

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 2, 2018
I got very good longevity from my Terre EDT, EDP, and Vetiver was to the point of days overpowering. It does cause nose blindness i smell it up close though, so gotta resist the wrist.

gladinton

Oct 4, 2020
I also have the 2019 TdH EDT and it works really well and efficiently for me. I never use more than two sprays because I feel like it reflects really well, so no more sprays are needed. I can also smell it for almost two days with those two sprays. And many times if the scent has stuck to my shirt then it is also after washing

PotassiumSnow

Jun 13, 2021
If you find TdH has performance issues on your skin, I would suggest you try out the scent's newest cousin in 2021. It's called Creed Viking Cologne.

Viking and Viking Cologne both perform admirably on me compared to TdH EDT. The original Viking vs the Cologne is way better though, at least to me it is.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Already considering the performance of the regular EDT concentration of this quite sufficient, even without going into higher concentrations flankers/variations like Parfum (at least based on the impressions had on my skin and to my nose alone).

Apr 4, 2020
If you find TdH has performance issues on your skin, I would suggest you try out the scent's newest cousin in 2021. It's called Creed Viking Cologne.

Interesting, I did not know Viking was similar to TdH! I'll have to get a sample or decant and see what its like, thanks for the tip.

Seems like for most the performance is quite good. I also found the sample I had would last for hours and hours on my skin, so Im leaning towards something weird with my bottle :/ which is unfortunate.

I'll try using it more often and see if that helps, otherwise maybe I'll see if I can snag an older bottle. Thanks all!

Apr 4, 2020
Olfactory fatigue. It wouldn't go from weak to strong back to weak like that..

I agree its quite strange, but I have no other explanation for it. Even friends who don't wear fragrances that Ive asked say they can barely smell it 1hr after spraying, so I don't believe its fatigue. Unless my skin chemistry has changed and its just eating it up lol

VCAPH

Aug 28, 2017
It lasts ok on me id say 5 hrs

I also have Yardley Citrus and Wood and most people think its weak , but for me it EASILY outperforms TDH with 2 hours of a solid arms length projection and longevity of about 8 hrs ..and its 99.5% TDH
This to me indicates its not olfactory fatigue or else I wouldnt be able to smell the Yardley clone so well, its just that TDH is weaker

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
Interesting, I did not know Viking was similar to TdH! I'll have to get a sample or decant and see what its like, thanks for the tip.

Seems like for most the performance is quite good. I also found the sample I had would last for hours and hours on my skin, so Im leaning towards something weird with my bottle :/ which is unfortunate.

I'll try using it more often and see if that helps, otherwise maybe I'll see if I can snag an older bottle. Thanks all!

For clarity, I am not referring to Creed Viking (released in 2017), but the most recent flanker called Creed Viking Cologne (released in 2021). The difference between the two is night and day.

Dawkins

Nov 22, 2004
I wear TdH a lot, it is my "most days" office scent. I normally spray this fragrance on my legs as I find I enjoy catching passive whiffs vs having it up close and I go completely blind to it. The strangest part though is some days I spray and I don't smell the citrus at all, zero, none (even though wife confirms it's there). I've narrowed it down to whether I applied after the gym or not as I always smell the orange (for hours) the days I do the gym. I visit the sauna/steam room everytime and I always wondered if that might have something to do with it (clears out nostrils maybes?). I think I've ruled out skin chemistry as days I go straight to work I don't catch the orange as a spray out of the bottle at all.

It's a wierd fragrance, I feel like some days it's creamier than others, some days drier. I always wonder if it is changing for others that first catch a whiff from me. I love the scent cloud on it as I initially purchased after asking a co-workers what her husband was wearing at a work function.

TdH experience taught me to always wear fragrance in different places as it really changes the experience. I've got a real old bottle of PI from my early twenties that I could never use cause I found it so cloying. Even though I don't wear it "out" I actually enjoy PI now when working from home when over-applied to my legs under a pair of pants.

Staff online

Latest News