Terpene University

mnitabach

Nov 13, 2020
Fascinating to see the canabis terpene market just exploding. Essential Oil University is now offering an impressive amount of EO derived terpenes/isolates through their Terpene University. The prices look resonable and I do not doubt the quality. EOU began as a testing organization founded by essential oil chemist Dr. Robert Pappas in 1998.

I have bought a few of their reconstituted cannabis terpene blends & tried to use them. Unfortunately, these cannabis terpene blends do not seem to be particularly useful for perfumery, as in addition to terpenes they contain enormous amounts of linalool. In order to get useful interesting cannabis effects with the terpenes, the amount of the material required carried along a whopping linalool dose that made it impossible to then compose a nice perfume around it. I'm pretty sure these materials are designed for putting into vape juice, in which case shittons of linalool is a desirable feature, not a bug.

julian35

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 28, 2009
Good to know Mike. I wasn't personally thinking of the cannabis terpene blends, more the materials used in perfumery. Farnesol, Nerol, Citral, Hedione, etc. Have you ordered any of those?

mnitabach

Nov 13, 2020
Good to know Mike. I wasn't personally thinking of the cannabis terpene blends, more the EO isolates used in perfumery. Farnesol, Nerol, Citral, Hedione, etc. Have you ordered any of those?

No, I didn't realize they had non-terpenes! I'm definitely gonna order some, as I am always seeking the GREATEST natural isolates. 😹😹😹

mnitabach

Nov 13, 2020
How much is enormous in your opinion?

I mean I didn't do a GCMS, but let's just say that in my blending experiments within the couple minutes it took for the actual terpenes to evaporate from my skin, it smelled like someone dumped a 55 gallon drum of linalool over my head.

mnitabach

Nov 13, 2020
OK just received half of my isolates order & just sniffing open bottles (ANNOYING DROPPER CAPS, NOT POLYCONE...) seems very interesting!

The natural geraniol smells different than a different natural geraniol I got from PSH. I mean sniffing bottle, so take with a grain of salt, but perhaps there is a bit of linalool in the Terpene University geraniol?

The natural eugenol smells SOOOO smooth compared to variously sourced synthetic eugenols that I have. Can't wait to use this!

I got nerolidol that I've never used before & it smells like floral silk...

Also got menthol & camphor crystals. Dunno what to do with camphor tbh, but the menthol smells AMAZEBALLS like beautifully balanced minty woody. So I think I will try menthol as part of a MANLY fougèreish top accord?

PXL_20220121_073309168.jpgPXL_20220121_073410097.jpg

Big L

Nov 23, 2019
I used to have tons of beautiful menthol crystals but couldn't find much to do with them. It was many years ago, though. Perhaps today, it would have been different.

Regarding natural cannabis aroma, this has been a challenge many professionals and hobbyist perfumers unsuccessfully pursued in the last decade.

The terpenes indeed make the most prominent part quantitatively, but anyone who took the disappointing shot at it knows it's very far from creating the actual characteristic aroma.

A recent article published last year proved what some have already been suspecting – the missing link is sulfur compounds, with the most significant being Prenylthiol (3-methyl-2-buten-1-thiol). Prenylthiol is also known to give some types of beer their characteristic smell.

I am currently trying to convince some vendors to add it to their offering.

mnitabach

Nov 13, 2020
I used to have tons of beautiful menthol crystals but couldn't find much to do with them. It was many years ago, though. Perhaps today, it would have been different.

Regarding natural cannabis aroma, this has been a challenge many professionals and hobbyist perfumers unsuccessfully pursued in the last decade.

The terpenes indeed make the most prominent part quantitatively, but anyone who took the disappointing shot at it knows it's very far from creating the actual characteristic aroma.

A recent article published last year proved what some have already been suspecting – the missing link is sulfur compounds, with the most significant being Prenylthiol (3-methyl-2-buten-1-thiol). Prenylthiol is also known to give some types of beer their characteristic smell.

I am currently trying to convince some vendors to add it to their offering.

FdB Cannabis Blue is to me a pretty realistic marijuana frag. It's more like a hippie who smokes weed all day than actual burning joint tho...

Big L

Nov 23, 2019
FdB Cannabis Blue is to me a pretty realistic marijuana frag. It's more like a hippie who smokes weed all day than actual burning joint tho...
I needed to write something more like "mostly unsuccessfully" rather than using decisive terms. Sorry for that.

I haven't had a chance to try FdB Cannabis Blue. Your description sounds interesting. It could be that they use a natural hemp extract, Prenylthiol, or some other solution that adds the required sulfuric component. Many of us can perhaps achieve it as well. My intention is to point out that this component should not be overlooked

mnitabach

Nov 13, 2020
I needed to write something more like "mostly unsuccessfully" rather than using decisive terms. Sorry for that.

I haven't had a chance to try FdB Cannabis Blue. Your description sounds interesting. It could be that they use a natural hemp extract, Prenylthiol, or some other solution that adds the required sulfuric component. Many of us can perhaps achieve it as well. My intention is to point out that this component should not be overlooked

Yeah, I mean I wasn't trying to imply you're wrong & as someone who knows the smell of cannabis both unburnt & burning, the Cannabis Blue is certainly not photorealistic. I only meant that it gets as close as I've observed & is thus worth experiencing for someone trying to perhaps make a cannabis accord. Grapefruit molecules definitely seem to be part of it...

Latest News