Teone Reinthal

TeoneReinthal

Basenotes Member
Nov 27, 2020
Just wanted to pipe in and mention that late last year we received a very dud batch of bottles from China with (imperceptibly) incorrectly-sized neck diameters, and they have leaked terribly for so many people that we have rapidly switched to the Italian 30ml tube-style bottles. They are our current stock bottle and are sturdy and reliable. Many people prefer them. I like them for the stylistic refreshment, the kind-of natural perfume aesthetic which is who we are anyway, (and not an elaborate-packaging-monolith). They are the 'grab-and-go' counterpoint to our gorgeous vintage French crystal flacons which are stunning for display in collector's troves. And, we always use the very best spray atomisers to give a lovely dose of fragrance.

As a small-batch, artisan producer, we have to buy small quantities of whatever sorts of crimp glass bottles we can get our hands on. We mention on our website that we don't invest in expensive, elaborate packaging, as we are all about the high cost of materials used in our perfume contents. Lately, due to a range of geopolitical reasons, getting any bottles at all is proving to be a big challenge.

We have recently found a new supplier in China from whom we are expecting some new bottles (more tubes and some other sorts), but due to current shipping problems in and out of China and Hong Kong, we cannot predict how long the wait may be. We are completely unwilling to risk using the faulty bottles, and we have run out of the Italian tubes, so we are taking some time out to have a long-earned rest, and decide on our future. We apologise if you received one of the leaking monsters. We either replaced it with added gifts to cheer you up, or we refunded. It was out of our hands and totally distressing/embarassing, and yet.... the perfume is still where all my heart and spirit lives. May it bring you some happiness.

- TR

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
So I’ve got enough cash at the moment to go for another bottle, but here is my dilemma….

- wait a bit to try and find Aguru or Night Song
- Oud Batavia now
- The Path now

Suggestions if it were you?!?

The Path now, whatever else later. But everyone’s tastes are different, so I’m not sure that’s really helpful.

Swoleiosis

Jan 10, 2020
So I’ve got enough cash at the moment to go for another bottle, but here is my dilemma….

- wait a bit to try and find Aguru or Night Song
- Oud Batavia now
- The Path now

Suggestions if it were you?!?
Night Song was on the main site before it went on pause. It's all personal preference, but I think night song and aguru are easily two thirds of the top 3 from trnp. I'd say wait.

FragSyndrome

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 14, 2016
Out of that list, Night Song is my clear favorite, followed by The Path.
I’ve got some insider info that he went with Aguru ;)

Night Song is great stuff. It’s a bit too sweet for me and was hoping my spouse would like it. She said it smells like cut bark - I have no where she’s getting this from….
She loved the Garden of Pleasures sample though and I gotta say, it smells divine. I’ll be getting a bottle of that when Teone opens her store back up.

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018
Wearing Tristan this morning. I think this is my favorite in the latest batch I got from TRNP.

It is sharp up front, but only for a few moments. To me the vetiver (more sparkly grass than rooty soil) and something "waxy" are prominent from here, along with gentle white florals. The latter add a nice uplift to the vetiver and other base notes, but are subtle.

I can't detect the jasmine alone, which is good, because I find jasmine to be a bully. I have always enjoyed it as a soliflore, but it often irritates me in blends. "Let your brothers and sisters talk, Jasmine!".

I can't pinpoint what the waxiness comes from. I'm unfamiliar with what linden blossom smells like, but I know this smell from other TRNP offerings, perhaps Embers? It is the only thing I don't care for here, but conversely, it also helps keep things interesting.

No discernable oud here to me, but I haven't gone deep into the dry down, so we'll see. Regardless it is used sparingly.

Edit: Getting what I believe to be oud and vetiver in the mid-drydown. The net effect is a waxy, grassy leather with a slight (very slight) hint of creamy sweetness. Here is where better noses might make more sense of notes, but it continues to be quite pleasant at this point, and perhaps lean a little more traditionally masculine.

Seems this would be pleasant in most seasons (probably least in winter) and settings. It gives me a nice scent bubble, with nice olfactory waves coupled with movement. You all know the type.

It is always difficult for me to enter the dream of the perfumer. I'm either not very imaginative (got that beat out of me, psychologically, as a kid) or just too literal, but there is a feeling this gives me that is Confidence with the eternal nag of Humility.

"You can do anything today...but remember that hubris begets misery."

Overall, I think this one is a keeper for me. Hoping it continues to grow on me like D'Aguilar did.

Last edited:

Cheetah1919

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 16, 2016
Really enjoy experiencing Aguru! And I find it is what it’s supposed to be, a dense green chypre. I get a few brief whiffs of slightly funky hindi Oud upfront, but it’s fleeting early on. I get the slightly sweet earthy greenness throughout, and some Oud is definitely present underneath. I enjoy what I believe is the saffron coming out to play, which adds a bit of needed spiciness. As Aguru develops, the Oud aspects seem to really fade, but if you need it it’s there with a close up sniff.

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013
My Aguru update: I find that the deep drydown of this is a very sharp “green” vegetal type smell. This part is not really my cup of tea, but the opening and middle life is still really good.
That deep green dry down is oakmoss I believe. Aguru is primarily oud and oakmoss, IIRC, and in my limited experience with it, the oakmoss outlasts the oud by quite a little bit.

Cheetah1919

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 16, 2016
That deep green dry down is oakmoss I believe. Aguru is primarily oud and oakmoss, IIRC, and in my limited experience with it, the oakmoss outlasts the oud by quite a little bit.
Ok, I thought maybe so, since looking at the other suspects it didn’t make much sense. But I don’t have any experience with oakmoss coming off that sharp, but I’m guessing you’re right on!

TeoneReinthal

Basenotes Member
Nov 27, 2020
Ok, I thought maybe so, since looking at the other suspects it didn’t make much sense. But I don’t have any experience with oakmoss coming off that sharp, but I’m guessing you’re right on!
I'm not making Aguru again, so here's the formula.

20ml saffron
150ml tolu
25ml cypriol
150ml Mysore sandalwood
50ml tobacco
75ml Kenyan myrrh
12ml cinnamon leaf
165ml oudh (50/50 Vietnamese and Hindi)
3 litres TRNP chypre base (diluted)

may it be a light in dark places...

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018

20ml saffron
150ml tolu
25ml cypriol
150ml Mysore sandalwood
50ml tobacco
75ml Kenyan myrrh
12ml cinnamon leaf

Wow! That is...unexpected and mighty generous, Teone.

Italia

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
I am late to the TRNP party, but this thread inspired me to order some samples from Luckyscent. I chose 3 (East 22, Blue Lotus, Wildii) that spoke to me based upon the listed notes, and today I'm wearing East 22.

It starts off as a prominent but rich woody patchouli on me, and after 20 minutes or so, the exotic and spicy ginger lily (a favorite note of mine) emerges to complement the woody-patch base. I like.

After an hour, I'm amazed to find that the milky ambrette and vanilla have arrived to lend a creamy aspect to the beautiful white floral, and the resins are burnishing that woody base. That great second stage of the fragrance is now flat out beautiful, smooth, and elegant. I LOVE.

Straight onto the wishlist this one goes. Darn you enablers!

Cheetah1919

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 16, 2016
I am late to the TRNP party, but this thread inspired me to order some samples from Luckyscent. I chose 3 (East 22, Blue Lotus, Wildii) that spoke to me based upon the listed notes, and today I'm wearing East 22.

It starts off as a prominent but rich woody patchouli on me, and after 20 minutes or so, the exotic and spicy ginger lily (a favorite note of mine) emerges to complement the woody-patch base. I like.

After an hour, I'm amazed to find that the milky ambrette and vanilla have arrived to lend a creamy aspect to the beautiful white floral, and the resins are burnishing that woody base. That great second stage of the fragrance is now flat out beautiful, smooth, and elegant. I LOVE.

Straight onto the wishlist this one goes. Darn you enablers!
Very good impression with East, I get a lot of what you describe too. I like it, but I think it would be really great on my wife!

Italia

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Very good impression with East, I get a lot of what you describe too. I like it, but I think it would be really great on my wife!
Oh, good! Nice to know my impressions are consistent with yours! The opening few minutes might come across as more traditionally masculine/unisex (I like this phase), but it absolutely evolves over the next 30-60 minutes into a fragrance that a lot of women (heck, anyone), will love.

AZsmells

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 11, 2004
Parfums de France has a 20% off coupon right now.
I just ordered Treewitch, Black Spruce, Black Powder, and Wan Chai yesterday.

code : save20

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
Parfums de France has a 20% off coupon right now.
I just ordered Treewitch, Black Spruce, Black Powder, and Wan Chai yesterday.

code : save20
Good ideas!

naylor

Basenotes Institution
Oct 24, 2011

20ml saffron
150ml tolu
25ml cypriol
150ml Mysore sandalwood
50ml tobacco
75ml Kenyan myrrh
12ml cinnamon leaf

So amazing ... thank you for sharing!

Latest News