Teone Reinthal

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
The Celtic Trilogy Series arrived yesterday evening and I have decided to try Lyonesse first out of the three. For long time admirers of Teone's work you would be aware all three of these perfumes Lyonesse, Tristan & Yseult have had a prior history and then vaulted for quite some time. What wonderful news for Teone to reintroduce these scents so newer fans of her work like myself only a few years in could discover past compositions and perhaps get a glimpse of early underpinnings of her future endeavors. Her poetry and prose in the introduction of this series had me hook line and sinker as if she cast a spell on me to experience her views of Celtic Britons of a time long ago.
Lyonesse is so perfect for this time of year with the Cypress and Juniper taking the lead role and perhaps never leaving during the four hours I have now been enjoying it's interaction. Cambodian Oud gives the composition the necessary body along with cedarwood and Amber(amberette). This is a unique and quieter venture than say Black Spruce and The Path but share similar vibes. This like I said is less robust than the latter compositions that most are now familiar with but this doesn't mean it is transparent. I get young misty fields of dancing pixes and faires delicate in it's delivery but oh so enjoyable. Perfect too in a office environment to keep a smile on your face while not imposing its will on others. For the fans of Black Spruce and The Path which i am you have basically a forest environment perhaps in a Nordic Zone whereas this is more temperate perhaps young wet virgin grasslands in a marine climate starting to take root into a more complex environment.
For me two thumbs up and I can't wait to try the other two in this series.
Shout out to Teone she sent a free Mogra which I already have but love dearly. So exemplary customer service as always.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Tristan and Yseult. His name should be Tristram though which is the old English/original name for Sir Tristram of Lyoness from L'Mort d'Arthur.

TNBLUEMIKE

Basenotes Institution
Oct 1, 2013
Wearing Yseult today and late last night and the beginnings were a little off putting perhaps stringent as the naturals working together to produce a very aromatic , earthy concoction which begins to unfold to a very compelling experience. I find a feeling of a damp mossy plain with floral and spicy overtones. As this fragrance progressed I actually felt I knew what Teone was trying to achieve. The vicarious experience of all the notes placed me in a time with promise of new beginnings.

In her words" I tried to give a artistic impression of rain misty Irish hills of Loughcrew, Navan and Newgate. a dark peaty floral with ethereal light and music, gentle as the soft green bracken ferns and glistening moss that cast their magical shadow across the land."

Such a poetic description that certainly fits the bill. Her thoughts of combining this and Tristan as long lost lovers is something I will try to experience after wearing Tristan as a stand alone within the next few days. This was a very limited edition from 2017. The performance on this was surprising as it lasted through the nighttime hours and into the morning. It was better than my previous wear of Lyonesse. I will say this was a familiar scent to me from perhaps the early days of Italian Cypress from Tom Ford or the original Polo Green.

Again another excellent wear from the house of well thought out compositions. Making my choices even harder to pick for each new day.

Last edited:

Singularious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 16, 2018
Nice write up, Mike. Thanks for sharing.

Eager to hear your take on Tristan to wrap the trio.

After hearing your above review you've shifted my interest. Italian Cypress remains a favorite of mine to this day for winter wearings. Wondering if Yseult is a more everyday wearable cousin to it. I love green scents with a little depth to them.

Last edited:

TNBLUEMIKE

Basenotes Institution
Oct 1, 2013
Nice were write up, Mike. Thanks for sharing.

Eager to hear your take on Tristan to wrap the trio.

After hearing your above review you've shifted my interest. Italian Cypress remains a favorite of mine to this day for winter wearings. Wondering if Yseult is a more everyday wearable cousin to it. I love green scents with a little depth to them.
Yes, In fact I still have half a bottle left of Italian Cypress and need to revisit it to be more conclusive. But I feel at the moment this is perhaps a notch down as far as potency but as this (Yseult) really has a really nice aromatic feel to the mossy green(oak moss?) vibe. It is still early impressions but everything is a big positive. Also, if you have the Tom Ford I wouldn't feel this would be redundant just a different perspective on a trail well known.

Swoleiosis

Jan 10, 2020
Well it was good while it lasted... but there're no more testers to sample from at parfums de France... I absolutely cannot justify 20 dollars per smell for every new release, so it's time to make some tough choices!

TNBLUEMIKE

Basenotes Institution
Oct 1, 2013
I will have to defer on Tristan for a day or two due to sinus or allergies playing havoc with me. I did a couple extra sprays (5) for me usually three to the chest and it seems to me to be the best of the three. But I need to better understand it on a better day. High hopes though and should be a winner for fans of the brand. Oakmoss and fresh herbs gives the artistic impression of winds on a Celtic coastline. Beautiful.

Jed Or Alive

Basenotes Member
Nov 8, 2019
Well it was good while it lasted... but there're no more testers to sample from at parfums de France... I absolutely cannot justify 20 dollars per smell for every new release, so it's time to make some tough choices!
I've never had the luxury of testing TRNP in person near me, but for the last couple releases, I've been splitting samples 2-3 ways with friends, transferring into dabbers to share so we can all sample and split costs. Helps a bit.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
I will have to defer on Tristan for a day or two due to sinus or allergies playing havoc with me. I did a couple extra sprays (5) for me usually three to the chest and it seems to me to be the best of the three. But I need to better understand it on a better day. High hopes though and should be a winner for fans of the brand. Oakmoss and fresh herbs gives the artistic impression of winds on a Celtic coastline. Beautiful.
I was going to ask you if you could explain the notes for Tristan? I'm hoping there is some coniferous fir, spruce, pine, or cypress in there as well.

TNBLUEMIKE

Basenotes Institution
Oct 1, 2013
I was going to ask you if you could explain the notes for Tristan? I'm hoping there is some coniferous fir, spruce, pine, or cypress in there as well.
I don't get fir, spruce or any of the evergreen accords like Yseult. It has a salty blast with green earthy overtones like peat moss. I think the feeling is that Teone is trying to achieve is a Coastline experience rather than grassy plains or forest like the previous parts of this trilogy. I can attest that this has depth with herbal and floral accords and excellent performance. As noted before this is the rugged portion of the union with Yseult. Hopefully, I will experience them together in the upcoming days.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
I don't get fir, spruce or any of the evergreen accords like Yseult. It has a salty blast with green earthy overtones like peat moss. I think the feeling is that Teone is trying to achieve is a Coastline experience rather than grassy plains or forest like the previous parts of this trilogy. I can attest that this has depth with herbal and floral accords and excellent performance. As noted before this is the rugged portion of the union with Yseult. Hopefully, I will experience them together in the upcoming days.
Is there a note listing anywhere for these three fragrances?

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Is there a note listing anywhere for these three fragrances?
From Parfums de France:

TRISTAN – The Hero, the Prince, The Fool, the Risk-Taker, the Lover – Leathery floral chypre featuring night-blooming jasmine, linden blossom, tuberose, chypre accord, vetiver and Vietnamese oudh

YSEULT – The startling beauty of an Irish Princess captured in a cool, silvery floral featuring Hyacinth, Genet, Lavender and Jasmine on a chypre base. Signature Scent of the Fae Queen’s daughter.

LYONESSE – Legendary Land of Mists and Magic – a sophisticated unisex elixir featuring cypress, juniper, galbanum, ambrette seed, vanilla, cedarwood, and Cambodian oudh.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
From Parfums de France:

TRISTAN – The Hero, the Prince, The Fool, the Risk-Taker, the Lover – Leathery floral chypre featuring night-blooming jasmine, linden blossom, tuberose, chypre accord, vetiver and Vietnamese oudh

YSEULT – The startling beauty of an Irish Princess captured in a cool, silvery floral featuring Hyacinth, Genet, Lavender and Jasmine on a chypre base. Signature Scent of the Fae Queen’s daughter.

LYONESSE – Legendary Land of Mists and Magic – a sophisticated unisex elixir featuring cypress, juniper, galbanum, ambrette seed, vanilla, cedarwood, and Cambodian oudh.
Thanks so much PStoller.

D

Deleted member 26305106

Update: Taken!

Any BN+ member with good transaction history who would like to try 5 ml of Sacred Ground minus one spray please contact me by DM. Free to a loving CONUS home. If I get more than one response I might split it up between interested parties.

TNBLUEMIKE

Basenotes Institution
Oct 1, 2013
Wearing Lyonesse for a second time today. Legendary land of mists and magic. A very pleasant experience, I am really taken by this blend. Fitting for this time of year. Performance seems to be better than my first trip with it last week. Not abrasive in any way and perhaps complementary in the trail I leave milling around the office. Fresh greenery wake.

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
Hey y’all I’m looking to buy a Teone fragrance. I love tobacco and was thinking about Rosa but haven’t seen a lot of talk about this one. How tobacco forward is this?

What’s everyone’s favorite sandalwood scents from her as well? I’ve been thinking about Rose Embers but I might just try out Embers 2021 and see if I finally like it. I had troubles with the amber note originally but now that my tastes have shifted I’m thinking about revisiting this scent.

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
Night Song is just so, so good, CS. And I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, for those of us that have more coarse noses.
Unfortunately it seems to be sold out everywhere but I might grab a spray sample from Sealed Essence just to try it!

I’m thinking Wan Chi 21 might be the purchase I make though. Those materials are singing to me right now.

Jul 1, 2015
My $0.02 here. Highly recommend Rosa. It is not as Tobacco loaded as Nightsong but it is a great fragrance in its own right.
Rose embers was a dud for me. Tom of rose upfront for about an hour and then Indian sandalwood. I did not like the Indian sandalwood used - maybe if it matures a bit more it will be better but if feels flat. I thought earlier Rose offerings were better. However if you decide to purchase Rose Embers Luckyscwnt has it at a much better price point.

Dava

Basenotes Member
Jun 28, 2015
Hello, is Sacred Ground considered a flanker of Embers? Is it different enough from Embers to justify having along with Embers?
thanks all
Hello, to me, Sacred Ground is very different from Embers. It has a cooling lemon and herbs vibe with a little dark green bark. Less plush warm vanilla amber here, dustier and earthier than Embers, feels more about the ancient and severe land. Since all the materials are from native Australian plants, I even feel it's different from other TRNPs. Unique.

Rose Embers is closer to Embers. Not as gentle as Embers, but still warm and wrapped, and can be described as golden with a delicious aftertaste. I think it is more powerful and more gorgeous.

avrora

Jul 29, 2020
Hey y’all I’m looking to buy a Teone fragrance. I love tobacco and was thinking about Rosa but haven’t seen a lot of talk about this one. How tobacco forward is this?

What’s everyone’s favorite sandalwood scents from her as well? I’ve been thinking about Rose Embers but I might just try out Embers 2021 and see if I finally like it. I had troubles with the amber note originally but now that my tastes have shifted I’m thinking about revisiting this scent.
I agree with the sentiment that Rosa is not as tobacco loaded as Night Song, which has a very nice and rugged tobacco in the drydown. I dare say you have to try NS at some point! I thought Rose Embers was nice enough, but if we're purely talking sandalwood I'd suggest grabbing a sample of Embers 2012 from LuckyScent. It is more linear and has less stuff going on (no cola-spice opening) than the 2021, but the sandalwood in there is to die for.

avrora

Jul 29, 2020
Hello, to me, Sacred Ground is very different from Embers. It has a cooling lemon and herbs vibe with a little dark green bark. Less plush warm vanilla amber here, dustier and earthier than Embers, feels more about the ancient and severe land. Since all the materials are from native Australian plants, I even feel it's different from other TRNPs. Unique.

Rose Embers is closer to Embers. Not as gentle as Embers, but still warm and wrapped, and can be described as golden with a delicious aftertaste. I think it is more powerful and more gorgeous.
Great notes on Sacred Ground! I agree with everything you wrote here - although I personally still prefer Embers to Rose Embers.

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013

Very helpful thanks 😊

D

Deleted member 26305106

My first and only FB TRNP arrived today. Embers 2021. Cannot get on the TRNP train overall but there was something about 2021 Embers. Am I alone in perceiving it as very different from 2020 Embers? 2020 smelled like Toblerone nougat to me, so I had passed on it. The holiday deals brought combined with some of the reviews here on 2021 (thanks to those who wrote up your thoughts) were influential. So I went for a decant… then another. After that it was a FB.

Jul 1, 2015
My first and only FB TRNP arrived today. Embers 2021. Cannot get on the TRNP train overall but there was something about 2021 Embers. Am I alone in perceiving it as very different from 2020 Embers? 2020 smelled like Toblerone nougat to me, so I had passed on it. The holiday deals brought combined with some of the reviews here on 2021 (thanks to those who wrote up your thoughts) were influential. So I went for a decant… then another. After that it was a FB.
You are absolutely correct - 2020 and 2021 are very different. I am a huge fan of 2021 version as well

Dava

Basenotes Member
Jun 28, 2015
Great notes on Sacred Ground! I agree with everything you wrote here - although I personally still prefer Embers to Rose Embers.
Thank you! I love Embers and Rose Embers both. I think Embers almost all about mellow Santal and light vanilla, Rose Embers has more dark golden amber and luscious nectar, even a touch of honey-like plumpness.

Emanuel76

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 16, 2018
Why Labyrinth is not mentioned?
Looks great.

Is there any other tobacco, besides Night Song?

375x500.44599.jpg

SOB111

Feb 9, 2019
SOTD: Tea Rose Mimosa Ltd Ed
This one flies under the radar but it is an EXCELLENT, primarily watery rose centred fragrance. If you love watery roses, lavender and yuzu its a must try,

(Yuzu, Kashmir Lavender, Bulgarian Chamomile, Tea Rose absolute, Mimosa absolute, Linden blossom absolute, Hyacinth absolute, Australian sandalwood, hand-tinctured Ambergris, Orris and Amyris)

Swoleiosis

Jan 10, 2020
I got my first set of samples in a while: Rosa ltd, Sanctum, Prayer, Batavia 2021, Wildii.

Wildii - Myrrh, Atlas cedarwood, styrax absolute, cardamon, labdanum, tonka and benzoin. My favorite of the 5. Warm and sweet in a different style than Embers; cinnamon, labdanum, benzoin, immortelle??, instead of sandalwood. Reminds me of parts of Ambre Nobile or Grand Soir. Catching a hint of it in the air is the best.

Batavia 2021 - Cardamon, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Clove, Lemongrass, Patchouli, Vanilla, Labdanum, Styrax, Indonesian sandalwood. CLOVES! Another winner. Her description of this is spot on, bold with a clarity of purpose, cloves and spices. I would really like to try this with cherry tobacco and honey added, but it is still great as is. If you've tried her other spice based fragrances like Magus and Autumn Shadows you may be surprised with the strength of the new Batavia. I've always found the spicy frags to be a little muddled or muted, this is, once again, clear and bold.

TNBLUEMIKE

Basenotes Institution
Oct 1, 2013
I got my first set of samples in a while: Rosa ltd, Sanctum, Prayer, Batavia 2021, Wildii.

Wildii - Myrrh, Atlas cedarwood, styrax absolute, cardamon, labdanum, tonka and benzoin. My favorite of the 5. Warm and sweet in a different style than Embers; cinnamon, labdanum, benzoin, immortelle??, instead of sandalwood. Reminds me of parts of Ambre Nobile or Grand Soir. Catching a hint of it in the air is the best.

Batavia 2021 - Cardamon, Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Clove, Lemongrass, Patchouli, Vanilla, Labdanum, Styrax, Indonesian sandalwood. CLOVES! Another winner. Her description of this is spot on, bold with a clarity of purpose, cloves and spices. I would really like to try this with cherry tobacco and honey added, but it is still great as is. If you've tried her other spice based fragrances like Magus and Autumn Shadows you may be surprised with the strength of the new Batavia. I've always found the spicy frags to be a little muddled or muted, this is, once again, clear and bold.
Appreciate your thoughts on these newer editions. Even though I am in a sabbatical mode from experiencing new releases as I am trying to slow down and enjoy last years compositions in all their glory. Keep the reviews coming as they are always a welcome read for me.

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013
SOTD: Tea Rose Mimosa Ltd Ed
This one flies under the radar but it is an EXCELLENT, primarily watery rose centred fragrance. If you love watery roses, lavender and yuzu its a must try,

(Yuzu, Kashmir Lavender, Bulgarian Chamomile, Tea Rose absolute, Mimosa absolute, Linden blossom absolute, Hyacinth absolute, Australian sandalwood, hand-tinctured Ambergris, Orris and Amyris)
Any discernible orris and ambergris?

How was Prayer? Was looking at that one

Latest News