Tell us a fragrance you can't get how others love

blackaroma

Apr 16, 2020
And others will tell you what they love about it!

Difference of taste is something normal and while we may not like certain perfumes still I think it doesn't hurt to once stop focusing on what we hate about them to find what others see in them as a beauty.

I go first one perfume I don't understand its huge fanbase is Ckub de Nuit Intense. I have a bottle of it (I got it for free ina bigger purchase) and it's my worst perfume both in projection and scent. Wht do people love it so mucj?

PS I'm so drunk/high sorry if this doesnt make sense :D I enjoy talking to basenotes more than t9o my gf.

KBF1972

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 23, 2013
I’ll say Oudh Infini by Dusita. I love a good (even challenging) oud as much as the next person but that stuff is just horrendous. Smells like roses that have been stomped into horse manure in an old barn.

abu abdullaah

Dec 18, 2018
amouage lyric man - just dont get it. i find it jarring and grating. i get no rose. probably my nose not agreeing with it and picking up what others can.

Scents And Sense

May 16, 2020
Anything with the word "sport" written in it. I just hate them so much.

*Apologies to anyone that likes sport fragrances, I mean you no harm, only the fragrance :coolold:*

Diamondflame

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009
Creed Green Irish Tweed.

Just not feeling the love for this BN favourite. Too piercingly sharp for me. I’d much rather wear Davidoff Cool Water.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Truly, so many meet that criteria for me that I wouldn't know where to start. I dislike 90% of what I sample.

Ok....I'll mention a couple. Puredistance M and Dior Leather Oud. I just don't get strong leathers....or ouds.

I sampled Puredistance M and really liked it. If you don't like strong leathers, there is no getting around that. But to me, M is actually more of an oriental than a leather. It is more spicy than it is leathery (although still leathery). To my nose, it is masterfully blended and an absolute joy to wear. Not my favorite leather, but an excellent fragrance nonetheless. :)

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Well, there are a lot in the civet, animalic and oud family that I can't stand, but I really don't understand the cult of followers behind Terre D' Hermes, it's a scrubber for me, I just can't stand it. :tongue:

I didn't care for it the first time I tried it, but I never considered it a scrubber. I love the zesty orange and grapefruit opening. It's just so crisp and clean! The woodiness adds a little more oomph. To me, it's elegant, masculine, and timeless. I own a bottle of the Parfum version and definitely consider it a staple. When I spray it on before heading out the door, I feel "put together". But hey, if it's not for you, it's not for you. :)

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Creed Green Irish Tweed.

Just not feeling the love for this BN favourite. Too piercingly sharp for me. I’d much rather wear Davidoff Cool Water.

I didn't expect to be commenting this much, especially early on. I love Green Irish Tweed. The sandalwood is so smooth. It's green, but not just like grass (that would be my Guerlain Vetiver). I think it deserves all of the praise it gets. I don't have a bottle yet, but will probably have one in the future. I think it could be a contender for the best masculine fresh fragrance available (in my limited experience)!

EDIT: The one time I tried Cool Water, I found it way too piercingly sharp. It was a scrubber for me! I consider GIT to be the superior scent. Nothing wrong with your preferences, though!

Johnny_Ludlow

Nov 2, 2004
Highly esteemed the_good_life mentioned maybe a decade a go that people perceive some ingredient that constitutes the violet accord in Green Irish Tweed very differently and that for some it is indeed sharp and piercing. I happen to be one of those people. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

And for me too Terre is grating in the long run. The annoyingly persistent immovable fake woody drydown lacks all vibrancy and depth. It just sits on my skin doing nothing.

I could mention many more, but these are interesting cases, because many with similar tastes enjoy and rate these two.

Now I see that I didn't really answer the question of the thread, since I get why others love these. They simply perceive them differently.

Dothraki

Jul 20, 2013
Sultan Pasha.

I get this same, strange, plastic type smell at the top of almost every one of his scents. I’ll admit, I didn’t spend much time with them and will revisit but, what is that common note I’m mistaking for plastic?

ScentMemory

Aug 26, 2013
Knize Ten

This is one of several old-school leathers (also looking at you, Aramis and Peau d'Espagne) that, to me, have the unmistakable smell of public-restroom about them. Not in the dirty/animalic sense, but in the sense that they smell like the hand soap, cleaning products, and urinal cakes. It's something about they way they build/blend their floral accords, I think. I assume the functional products copied the fine fragrances, as often happens, so in that sense my dislike of them isn't really their fault. It's just a shame that I formed those public restroom scent associations long before I ever smelled any of these perfumes. It's borderline impossible to undo those longstanding associations, and it's just a shame they've ruined my ability to smell Knize, et al, with a clean slate.

Edited to address the OP's point more directly: I don't get how others can miss or overlook that public restroom vibe, since it's something we've all been exposed to for decades.

Last edited:

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
There’s a difference between things I hate and things I can’t fathom others loving. Actually, the more strongly I dislike something, the easier it is to see how others might love it. So, for example, while I can’t stand GIT, I’m pretty sure that it’s precisely what I don’t like about it that others embrace. I’m more puzzled by what I see as yawn-fests. I mean, what is there to care about in Chanel Allure pour Homme? It’s boredom in a bottle, and dated boredom at that. It’s the pleated khakis of fragrances. I could understand being less annoyed by it than I am. But, loving it? That mystifies me.

ImaFedec

Sep 12, 2019
Ambre russe by parfum empire. It just smells like an upper class old lady who denies her age and insist on staying very much invested in the society she once was so proud to be part of. It's not bad, tested much worse and it's (probably) a well done frag. just MEH for my nose.

Scents And Sense

May 16, 2020
Edited to address the OP's point more directly: I don't get how others can miss or overlook that public restroom vibe, since it's something we've all been exposed to for decades.

It's not that I overlook or not notice the accords like the ones that you mentioned, I just don't mind them. I've gotten so accustomed to them that they don't smell like "urine", they just smell like "good" lol. Smelling like civet or urine doesn't scare me off from a fragrance. I don't care at all what a fragrance smells like, or who it's marketed to, as long as I love it, that's all that matters for me.

Valier

Aug 11, 2016
Creed Green Irish Tweed.

This probably has much to do with the batch, I have samples from fragnet that are absolutely divine; my bottle purchases, not so much, I see what you mean.

Neil Morris frags as a whole, there is a strong laundry detergent smell that appears after about ten minutes and overpowers everything. It's in all of them and I had a lot of samples to test this out on.

Habanita, I think it's the mastic; green mustard gas

drseid

Sound Scents
Basenotes Plus
Jun 1, 2003
Creed Green Irish Tweed.

In my case, I like GIT well enough and own a bottle... but I too prefer wearing Cool Water (vintage) by quite a large margin. To me, it is superior smelling and a heck of a lot less expensive (a good combination).

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
For me,

There are the historical obvious one like Secretions Magnifique. But the one recently that I don't get at all is the fake youtuber hype and those that bought into it......Parfums de Marly Kalan. It smells like someone just cut a bunch of red pepper and rubbed it on themselves. Now, if this were forwarded by the hype-army on youtube as an 'odd niche' for the odd enthusiast that wants to smell like a red pepper, then yeah, I would understand, but this was marketed, pushed as a mass-appealing frag. I would say this is a big pass for me. I don't hate the smell of red pepper as a food, but wouldn't want to wear the smell.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
I’m more puzzled by what I see as yawn-fests. I mean, what is there to care about in Chanel Allure pour Homme? It’s boredom in a bottle, and dated boredom at that. It’s the pleated khakis of fragrances. I could understand being less annoyed by it than I am. But, loving it? That mystifies me.
Yeah, it's mostly the enthusiasm for "plain" fragrances that mystifies me.

ScentMemory

Aug 26, 2013
It's not that I overlook or not notice the accords like the ones that you mentioned, I just don't mind them. I've gotten so accustomed to them that they don't smell like "urine", they just smell like "good" lol. Smelling like civet or urine doesn't scare me off from a fragrance. I don't care at all what a fragrance smells like, or who it's marketed to, as long as I love it, that's all that matters for me.

I actually don't mind civet, animalic, or even "poopy" oud accords. The problem I have with some of the older leathers isn't that they smell like urine to me, it's that they smell like the cheap hand soap and cleaning products used in the restrooms. Or more accurately put, the cleaning products have come, over the decades, to smell like those older perfumes. I'm pretty sure if I had been around to smell Knize when it was new, I wouldn't have associated its notes with public restrooms.

CapriDog

Mar 1, 2012
Many feathers are being rubbed right now just like having someone calls your child/children fugly. :laugh:

Many vintages and I don't get along and the culprit is probably oakmoss and/or a combination of oakmoss, herbs, and civiet Too much of it. I am searching for a timeless vintage but to no avail. GIT might fit the bill but I can only enjoy it within an arm length or within a bubble of someone else wearing it. Up-close sniffing occasionally turns my stomach.

Another one is Slumberhouse. I sold off half a dozen bottles because I didn't like its aesthetic, in-your-face kinda. I didn't like the top and mid notes but did recall enjoying the dry-down but it took forever to get there. Having said that, I haven't tried new releases in the past several years.

There you go. Throw eggs at me at your will.... virtually :laugh:.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
I'm not a fan of SLUMBERHOUSE and ZOOOLOGIST.
They are well done, interesting scents but just too avant garde and unusually bold for me.

I also agree with INVICTUS and SAUVAGE. Noting about either of them appeals to me.

blackaroma

Apr 16, 2020
Many feathers are being rubbed right now just like having someone calls your child/children fugly. :laugh:

The first line of my Topic was "And others will tell you what they love about it!" :D
This was supposed to be a positive thread that we name a perfume that we don't get why it's loved and someone who has it would come forward and explain what is it exactly that they love about it...

P

piney

I’ll say Oudh Infini by Dusita. I love a good (even challenging) oud as much as the next person but that stuff is just horrendous. Smells like roses that have been stomped into horse manure in an old barn.

I'm a huge admirer of this one, I get a ton of pissy civet, very little oud but love it nonetheless, I even enjoy it in the heat. I find similarities between this and Leather Oud. To be fair I really enjoy super animalic scents. I really enjoy the barn yard type of oud in fragrances but can also see where they would turn many people away very easily.

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
Haha funny thread :)

PS I'm so drunk/high sorry if this doesnt make sense I enjoy talking to basenotes more than t9o my gf.
Bit jealous - havent tapped into my pineal gland for years

Originally Posted by dealt7faux View Post
Dior Sauvage. I have tried it so many times, but just don't get it.
That's probably for the best,
ha!

Creed Green Irish Tweed.
50/50 with yer on this - i think it smelt better in my head - recent decant = laundry powder. Saying that I also investigated SMW ( just a bit wierd smelling like an abstract composition) and Viking (bad batch perhaps - very toothpastey for the duration) - they all smell a bit off to me. Plasticky - Dont smell as natural as one might expect with all the fan fare and 'we use the best natural ingedients' blurb. Time will a tell.

However ( again swerving the original question) I can understand that some of these pop freshies smell better at a distance, on others, and I'm going out a bit to say I feel they are loved because they garner compliments. There's probably a psycholigical study somewhere that concludes we will start to like the things we are complimented on or feel we have to becuase they cost /market as premium or thereabouts. Aye carumba!

Mmm one that comes to mind is Issey L'Eau Bleue - got a wierd pickly piquancy and smells super synth to me - one of the ones from the thread "frags I forgot about" - lol or rather wish I could!!
Looking at the top 10 BN for blokes - I can get on with em' all - bar Kourous - its a bit too stinky.

Horses and courses:thumbsup:

CapriDog

Mar 1, 2012
The first line of my Topic was "And others will tell you what they love about it!" :D
This was supposed to be a positive thread that we name a perfume that we don't get why it's loved and someone who has it would come forward and explain what is it exactly that they love about it...

It wasn’t meant to be directed at you, your thread, or anyone for that matter. I was just keeping up with the statistics thus far regarding those defending/ expressing why/what they love about it. Waiting for those with an affinity for Invictus to show up.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
Gaultier's Le Male I used to wear as a teen when it first came out (I bought at a duty free on a trip to France and felt so fancy!). I remember this fragrance just exploding in popularity and smelling it everywhere and now I can't stand the stuff. I still have some left in that old bottle but I can't bear to spray it.

One I don't dislike but don't really get the love for is Malle's Musc Ravageur. I typically love musky fragrances and skankiness doesn't bother me, but all I get out of this is a light caramel vanilla. It totally underwhelms me and I don't understand how others can call this a beast. Maybe I'm anosmic to the musks used which is weird because usually I don't have any trouble picking up scents that people frequently have troulbe detecting. I've never come across another fragrance where my experience is so different from the way people describe it!

Pallas Moncreiff

Dec 16, 2018
So many...but these two are top of the list.
Creed Aventus and 540 Baccarat Rouge.
I simply don't understand what all the hype/drooling is about?

And...
For some reason, I appreciated this honest admission.
As you say, honest, yes... but 'tis sad.

PS I'm so drunk/high sorry if this doesnt make sense :D I enjoy talking to basenotes more than t9o my gf.
And mon ami, what are you getting drunk with and high on?
I am curious... hum.

PartySnake

Jan 7, 2020
Dior Homme 2020 worst fragrance by a major brand ever released in my lifetime.

There are many fragrances I don’t like; however, I can easily understand why others love them.

But in all honestly, I don’t understand how any consumer would gravitate toward DH2020 after smelling several offerings at a perfume counter.
DH2020 is nobody’s first choice...

Latest News