Synthetics in oil base?

fjura

Aug 21, 2022
Hi all, I apologize if this has been previously discussed. I’m having no luck really finding a straightforward answer . Are synthetics such as Amboxan, Adoxal, Geosmin, Iso E Super for example, able to be used in a jojoba oil-based blend? Any advice is very much appreciated!

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Yes, Most Likely... there may be occasional issues that crop up, but the vast majority of materials will work OK in Jojoba.

fjura

Aug 21, 2022
Yes, Most Likely... there may be occasional issues that crop up, but the vast majority of materials will work OK in Jojoba.
Thanks so very much!

If anyone else has any input please chime in. I know most of you all make fragrance with perfumer’s alcohol. I’m just working on an oil-based project but feel I need a bit more than what eo’s can offer me. Thanks in advance.

pkiler

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Ah, Now that I think about it, Ambroxan may be an issue, like Vanillin, they are both solids. you may have solubility issues there. but most liquids should be fine. You can test to see if any ambroxan dissolves into Jojoba, and try some heat and stirring.

ourmess

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 25, 2018
Whether or not something is synthetic has absolutely nothing to do with its solubility. This is a matter of researching and/or experimenting with each material you're curious about, one by one, to find out whether they're soluble in your medium of choice.

fjura

Aug 21, 2022
Soooo…being very new to all of this I honestly didn’t know where to research. I stumbled across TGSC Information System today though and it’s been helpful in researching. Just want to know though, if it says soluble in water or alcohol but doesn’t mention oil does that mean it’s definitely insoluble in oil? I feel like asking if something (such as iso e super) is soluble in oil is not a question that is frequently asked.

ourmess

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 25, 2018
Just want to know though, if it says soluble in water or alcohol but doesn’t mention oil does that mean it’s definitely insoluble in oil?
No, it just means TGSC doesn't list any solubility data for oil. TGSC is a great free resource but it is neither authoritative nor exhaustive.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...