Synchronized Fridays 2022

Schubertian

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 8, 2021
Mmm yes, Magie Noire and Noir Exquis are fabulous choices. The others I don't know yet - and may never if some are discontinued.
I remember vaguely having a miniature of Magie Noire years ago... we're probably talking late 80s or early 90s. It was really good. I don't know why I never bought a bottle.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I remember vaguely having a miniature of Magie Noire years ago... we're probably talking late 80s or early 90s. It was really good. I don't know why I never bought a bottle.
I wonder how different it was back then.
To me, on my skin, it's a dark chocolate and plum gourmand. It's hard to imagine a scent of that sort back then.
Maybe it's just my nose that's crazy.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Today I dedicated to pre-synching with all my La Petite Robe Noire scents by Guerlain.
They're not really dark, but then again I was craving for a fruity scent, so this was a perfect opportunity.

I started the morning by opening a brand new travelspray for LPRN EDP that has been sitting in my cupboard for years, waiting for me to do something with it while I was undecided if I'm going to gift it to my cousin or wear it myself. Damn gifting others, I need gifts, too. The original EDP is probably the deepest scent in the line as it's evolving and changing through all the wear and it's slightly different each time, taking up different facets depending on the weather or the day. It starts out very sweet and strong, with a strong punch of candied cherry and lots of spicy, sparkly liquorice, then later smoothes down to a more almondy, powderier scent with some florals and black tea. The scent is not for everyone as it's really sweet, girly and outgoing, very extrovert fruitchouli, but it's definitely fun. It's the type of scent that grows on you through many wearings - I myself did not like the LPRN line at all until I found out I actually do.
I'm not sure if I'll ever need a big bottle of this, I don't feel like it's "my" type of scent, or at least I know that I do prefer my two flankers - a fresh take and a leathery take, - but we'll see what I'll say after I finish the travelspray.

Then around noon I sprayed the EDP all over with LPRN Eau Fraiche (My Robe Petales). This is the freshest, summeriest one with some apple and pistachio over the almondy cherry and clean musks. All the LPRN line is great for mixing and matching as they layer with each other seamlessly.

For the evening I topped everything with the so called black leather jacket of the whole dress line, LPRN Black Perfecto Eau de Parfum Florale. It smells slightly of plastic cherries straight out of the bottle, but on my skin it morphs into this dark and slightly smoky cherry-almond gourmand with some dusty rose and a teeny tiny hint of some leather and some black tea. It has a gorgeous all black bottle, no usual frivolous pink nonsense that actually turns me off from the line a bit.

LPRN line does not take itself too seriously, but seriously, it's good fun.

I might refresh with a small spray of EDP over all this again or the night if I feel like to. Maybe.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Many great ideas, consisting of impressive scents already shared.

Luckily have also enough to choose from, anywhere from LM Black Oud to Avon Black Suede and part its its flankers, Bourjois Masculine 2 Black Instant, Zara Black Tag Intense and also Tobacco Collection Intense Dark Exclusive as well as Night II and III EDP, Drakkar Noir, Christian Lacroix Nuit PH, Yves Rocher Ambre Noir Axe Dark Temptation, l'Erbolario Ginepro Nero, Bogart Riviera Nights, Joop Nightflight to choose from (probably even more if considering samples/decants owned and the scents that do stick to a distinctively dark note pattern, even if not explicitly named as such).

ChypreInBloom

Basenotes Member
Jun 1, 2022
Yep, you would have a treasure by now. It's still in pretty good shape, though. Not so intense but then it's fine by me, sometimes. I don't wish to smell like I splashed the whole bottle on myself. It's so exquisite to get the occasional whiff from my own clothes!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I'm going with Chanel Bois Noir
375x500.34568.jpg

ChypreInBloom

Basenotes Member
Jun 1, 2022
Joining the sync with Tendre est la nuit (clair), Majda Bekkali. It's not really a "noir" fragrance though. Starts as a sharp, peppery-spicy amber that calms after a while. It sits a bit too close to the skin for my money. I don't think I'll buy it even though it is rather lovely and the bottle is interesting.
What's the bottle like?

teardrop

Basenotes Institution
Sep 1, 2010
l could have gone with Black Orchid, Narcisse Noir, Magie Noire or my sample of Dark Purple/Black Purple (which still isn't finished; the vial is opaque black plastic so l've no idea how much is in there!).

But as l haven't worn it since August 2021 (😮), l'm wearing Sahara Noir today, & congratulating myself for getting a bottle before it was discontinued. 😏

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I think I only have one fitting fragrance, and since I have not used it that much of lately I decided to wear it all week as SOTD. So I have been in synch all week with:
View attachment 311563

Today I'm using it as a SOTE though.

I have many choices this time, but you convinced me! La Nuit de L'Homme! Needed some love! 😍

sakecat

Basenotes Member
Sep 3, 2022
I was surprised I didn't have more "noir" scents in my large collection of indies.
  • Montale Black Aoud - The scent I think of when I think "oud rose." Also the scent I missed when I moved to indie oil world.
  • Bourbon French Cameo Noir - A woody scent with a bit of vanilla and greens. Picked it up on a trip to New Orleans.
  • Nocturne Alchemy Black Velvet - Dense vanillic amber jasmine oil.
  • Tokyo Milk Black Widow - Orange blossoms and oakmoss.
I've started experimenting with mossy scents again - so going with the Black Widow.
Plus - there's SPIDERS on the packaging - which makes my inner 16-year-old goth happy.

tdem1961

I smell something…
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2005
Of the many Nuits, Noir(e)s, and Blacks in my stash, I chose Estée Lauder Modern Muse Nuit. (As well as picking something to fit the week’s theme, I also try to make it one that I haven’t worn lately.)

94-D90735-1083-4-D51-9378-DE8-C9-A2-EF14-B.jpg

Warm, sweet, and cozy, with a boozy-incensy undertone. Long lasting and great value for money, par for the course for Lauder frags.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
CdG Black. Name says it all.
I feel like this one above all embodies the "black" theme better than anything. The ingredients individually signify different associations with the color, and in combination the concept goes so much further. We've got birch tar (hot asphalt), smoke (bonfires raging), rubber (burning tires), black pepper, dark vetiver, frankincense, black leather, black licorice. On paper it sounds like a conceptual nightmare gone wrong, but the blending is so good it feels almost supernatural. Evocative, distinctly weird, but surprisingly wearable. In fact, the more I wear it, the more I think this might be my single favorite scent.

For the past several months, I've been using a decant I got from a friend on here; found a good black friday sale last night at Ssense.com and finally ordered my own bottle! Only reason I didn't wear it today is because I already wear it so frequently, and expect to do so even more once my bottle arrives.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
For variety sake, I went with an oddity from my sample bin: Lalique Ombre Noire ("black shadow").

I gather this was originally a Middle East exclusive that eventually became available in limited distribution via Lalique's website, which makes sense as it strikes me as pretty far afield from the other main-line Lalique masculines (Encre Noire, Lalique White, Lalique Pour Homme/Lion). Lalique being Lalique, they're pretty generous with samples and actually sent this out to me for free. (Excellent customer service!)

Ombre Noire is a lightly spiced, boozy oriental, but one that wears pretty light despite the notes. It opens with mint, fig, and cinnamon bark; moves to tobacco and papyrus in the heart; dries down to frankincense, myrrh, cedar, and cognac. Individual notes aren't all that distinct and it's not nearly as heavy or resinous as that sounds. You get the character of booze without the intensity, almost like a watered down cocktail, if that makes sense, which might explain why this never really caught on. As an undersprayer who can't really hang with heavy orientals anyway, I like it quite a bit for what it is.

3501.jpg

Last edited:

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I must not be nearly as dark or mysterious as I like to imagine I am, because I only had four perfumes with sync-appropriate names in the cabinet:

Encre Noir a L'Extreme
Or Black de Paco Rabanne
La Nuit de Paco Rabanne
Nuits de Scherrer

But how could I resist the opportunity to sync with @JON RODGERS ?!?

La Nuit de Paco Rabanne
LaNuitRabanneEdP.BottleAndBox.jpg

knit at nite

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 5, 2009
Knit is rather shocked I have 4 scents available in the limited wardrobe I have available at my temporary digs in AZ for this sync, A fragrance with Nuit, Noir, Black or Night in its name. Gonna try to wear them all over the weekend because I actually don't recall what any of them smell like. LOL- that could be one advantage of having a ridiculous 500-bottle collection acquired before retirement. I just rediscover things instead of spending out of my pension. ha ha ha

Bvlgari Blu Notte
Judith Leiber Night
Jessica Simpson Fancy Nights
paco rabanne Black XS for her

If I were home, I'd surely be wearing Caron Nuit de Noel

MistaPanda

Aug 20, 2018
Wearing Noir EDP while varnishing wooden window frames seemed a bit out of place, so I'm synching a bit late... but I'm enjoying it nonetheless ! 😁

tom-ford-noir-eau-de-parfum-50-ml-888066015493-visual.jpg

I've used Encre Noire à l'Extrême & Ombre Noire earlier this week... I'll probably keep synching for the next two days .
There were a lot of options I would have loved to wear or re-visit : Lumière Noire (MFK) ; Oud Noir (Versace) ; Liquid Night (A Lab On Fire) ; Black (Bvlgari) ; Chambre Noire (Olfactive Studio), Midnight in Paris (Van Cleef & Arpels) ; For Him Bleu Noir (Narciso Rodriguez)... but they are in boxes, somewhere.

Considering Noir Ambré (Issey Miyake) ; Noir Anthracite (Tom Ford) or Noir Premier : Fleur Universelle (Lalique) this week end 🙂

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
On to Noir Exquis by L'Artisan Parfumeur.
Eep!
I will join you with this cozy scent an hour or so later!

So far I have worn today Citrus noir by Molinard (early morning), Eau Parfumee au the noir by Bvlgari (midday) and some more La Petite Robe Noire Black Perfecto (evening).

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Phase 2: Encre Noire a l’Extreme aka “Black Ink 2 the EXTREME”. Hilariously inaccurate name aside, this stuff is gorgeous. Dark, dark, dark vetiver and cypress, cashmeran, and ISO E, not far off from the OG Encre Noire but ever so slightly softer, and rounded out with incense and sandalwood. It doesn’t really smell like Sycomore to my nose (which smells more like a proper 3-stage perfume), but there’s some overlap with the cypress, vetiver, and sandalwood. Really can’t recommend this enough for the price, and it’s a perfect pitch black / dead of night scent, just right for today’s theme. Endless hails to Lalique!

ma12200-encre-noire-a-lextreme-eau-de-parfum-17595.jpg

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...