Synchronized Fridays 2022

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Will probably sync with Insolence (Guerlain) because I love smelling of candy glad I snagged the OG bottle years ago also have the bee bottle too.

Insolence is beautiful!

Prospects are looking good: two of my favourite scents are on the two-star list, 1932 and Beige. :giggle: (And they are exquisite.)

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Last year, I noted the paucity of one-star frags in my wardrobe, and I haven't added anything relevant to either my bottle or sample collections since. So, it looks like I'll be perusing the two-star list for candidates.

Honestly, Turin needs to start panning more fragrances, or we're all going to run out.
I'm not sure, I got such a bad taste I could keep synching for the whole month, then add a few fragrances from my wishlist and continue synching.

But I would love more material from Turin and Sanchez.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Today I'm synching with the one that got just 1 star.

Ange ou Demon – Givenchy : floral oriental

I adore it. I have a backup and flankers of this one.
It starts out with sweet tangerine, then morphs into a beautiful spicy, balmy, gourmand floriental. Very cozy.

Schubertian

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 8, 2021
I've only got samples of three 1* perfumes, and I don't particularly want to wear any of them (was in sync by accident yesterday by wearing Santal Royal, which I disliked).
More options on the 2* list, so perhaps... Dioressence? Orris Noir, Oscar? The Dark Side, Danger by Roja? Per Fumum: Ambra Luminosa? Quite tempting actually. :D
Or, of course, Miss Dior - how come he panned that one? I must revisit the text... :oops:

Schubertian

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 8, 2021
Upcoming Synch Day:
10. 07 - Public's Choices: Panned by
The Guide!
This is also a birthday of Jacques Guerlain! If you want to honour him (and I'm sure many will), it could be an idea to synch with Panned by the Guide earlier in the week and to celebrate J. Guerlain's birthday on Friday. I'm sure we'll figure it out 🌹
Thank you so much dear ClockworkAlice I didn't know that!
For sure an occasion for me to wear Shalimar or Mitsouko vintage parfum... sadly I do not own Vol de Nuit or Après l'Ondée...

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Thank you so much dear ClockworkAlice I didn't know that!
For sure an occasion for me to wear Shalimar or Mitsouko vintage parfum... sadly I do not own Vol de Nuit or Après l'Ondée...
You should be thankful for @Wild Gardener who has given me the heads up about J. Guerlain's birthday on October 7th!
I'm thankful myself.
Let's commemorate and celebrate this great artist.

Blue_Eyez

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 23, 2007
Insolence is beautiful!

Prospects are looking good: two of my favourite scents are on the two-star list, 1932 and Beige. :giggle: (And they are exquisite.)
Same here! Love 1932 - it’s a sparkling candy water but Chanel dahhhling 😂
Beige I only have in a sample, but it’s my regular sample for travel when I don’t want to think what to wear.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Panned By The Guide is finally here
Upcoming Synch Day:
10. 07 - Public's Choices: Panned by
The Guide!
This is also a birthday of Jacques Guerlain! If you want to honour him (and I'm sure many will), it could be an idea to synch with Panned by the Guide earlier in the week and to celebrate J. Guerlain's birthday on Friday. I'm sure we'll figure it out 🌹

For the newer members:
The Guide is a book by Luca Turin & Tania Sanchez, full of perfume reviews. No, actually, it's TWO books, one written in 2008 and one in 2018.
And this Friday (or the whole week prior, if we're planning to celebrate Jacques Guerlain's birtday by wearing our Shalimars, Mitsoukos, L'Heures bleues, Apres L'Ondees and Vol de Nuits on Friday, his exact birthday!) we are wearing scents that got the worst reviews, therefore were panned by The Guide. If you look up the lists, you may even find a lot of your favourites in there! I know I do. :) As per saying, no arguing over taste. Only fighting and occasional murder! 👿

Top list of worst perfumes rated with two stars by Luca Turin in 2008 can be found HERE

Top list of worst perfumes rated with one star by Luca Turin in 2008 can be found HERE.

Top list of worst perfumes rated with two stars 2018 by Luca Turin can be found HERE.

Top list of worst perfumes rated with one star 2018 by Luca Turin can be found HERE.

So, what are you gonna do this week and this Friday?
I guess I'm going to be looking up turds deemed by Luca Turin? At glance, I do see some potentials from the 2008 list so I might not have hold my nose for it before combing through the lists.

I'll save Friday and maybe Thursday for the great Jacques Guerlain.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Sooooooo I decided I want to make a list of my options. You know, just to show you how bad my taste is - at least according to Turin & Sanchez!

Ambre Extreme – L’Artisan Parfumeur : just amber (a mini bottle; it's not JUST amber to me, I want a big bottle too)
Angelique Noire – Guerlain : bitter floral (sample, love it)
Aqua Allegoria Mandarine – Basilic – Guerlain : mandarin base (bitch please, it's among my top favourites; I finished 2 travelsprays and now have a big bottle)
Le Baiser du Dragon – Cartier : failed oriental (not failed in my eyes; I have 2 bottles of this)
Cabochard – Gres : worn leather (okay, I'm not a big fan, but I have a bottle of the same formulation that got panned)
John Galliano – John Galliano : sweet aldehydic (love this, have a bottle that I cherish)
Alamut – Lorenzo Villoresi : hideous oriental (a sample, not hideous at all)
Ange ou Demon– Givenchy : floral oriental (I have 2 bottles and 2 flankers, I love this)
Hiris – Hermes : sad iris (I have a decant of this 'orrible sad iris and it makes me happy)
Le Parfum – Lalique : rock bottom (if that's rock bottom, I'll gladly hit it daily with my full bottle of this)
Une Amourette Roland Mouret – Etat Libre d’Orange : jasmine peppercorns (I have a sample)
Baptême du Feu – Serge Lutens : sparkling curry (with a bottle of this, I'm the best smelling curry in town)
Clair de Musc – Serge Lutens : musky floral (finished a sample and got a bottle, love this musk)
Hermann à Mes Côtés Me Paraissait une Ombre – Etat Libre d’Orange : floral incense (I have a sample, although I'm not a big fan)
Like This – Etat Libre d’Orange : gingerbread floral (a sample, although it's just okay to me)
Lilylang – Sylvaine Delacourte : ylang jasmine (a sample, it's nice)
Mad Madame – Juliette Has a Gun : rose chypre (a happy owner of the bottle)
Mon Guerlain – Guerlain : lavender vanilla (have a bottle and a backup of EDT, wearing it now)
Noir Exquis – L’Artisan Parfumeur : anisic woody (have a mini, it has a wonderful opening)
La Nuit Trésor – Lancome : fruity floral (a sample, it's nice)
La Nuit Trésor à la Folie – Lancome : fruity gourmand (a sample, it's nice)
Olympéa – Paco Rabanne : floral amber (have a sample of Olympea Legend, but I like the series)
La Religieuse – Serge Lutens : dismal jasmine (a sample, on my skin it's wonderful and not dismal)
Smeraldo – Sylvaine Delacourte : green citrus (a sample, it's nice)
Une Amourette Roland Mouret – Etat Libre d’Orange (a sample)
Aqua Allegoria Limon Verde – Guerlain : lime citrus (I have a huge bottle and I adore it)
Black Opium – Yves Saint Laurent : fruity floral (I went through a bottle of this, loved it, now have a mini of Intense flanker)
Dangerous Complicity – Etat Libre d’Orange : plum liqueur (a sample)
Florentina – Sylvaine Delacourte : almond musk (a sample, cute)
Helicriss – Sylvaine Delacourte : immortelle incense (a sample, nice)
L’Orpheline – Serge Lutens : incense cashmeran (I have a sample and okay, I'm not a fan either... but it's not BAD)
Lait et Chocolat – Chabaud : flavored coffee (I LOVE it. I have a small bottle and I'm thinking about upgrading it someday. There's ZERO coffee though, it's pure milky chocolate, milky cocoa and a hint of cedar)
Santal Royal – Guerlain : not sandalwood (I have a sample and while I don't LOVE it, I like it well enough; I'm kind of okay with these synth woods, I just don't want to pay a lot for them)

These are insulting to my family:
Eclat d’Arpege – Lanvin : peachy amber (okay, I don't have it, but it's my mom's favourite, she went through at least 3 bottles of this, bad taste apparently runs in the family; not amber btw)
Green Tea – Elizabeth Arden : lemony floral (ANOTHER favourite of my mom's; she went through several bottles, too!)
Light Blue – Dolce & Gabbana : citrus “amber” (my mom went through a bottle of this too, ofc; not amber either btw)

I don't have these, but they're in my wishlist or "strongly like-list":
Fahrenheit – Dior : woody leather (I really like it)
Infusion d’Iris – Prada : woody floral (I had a mini, but I'd like a big bottle some day, too)
Spiritueuse Double Vanille – Guerlain : bad vanilla (disagree)
Yerbamate – Lorenzo Villoresi : chalky floral (extremely unique green tea, okay, chalky, but in a good way!)
Champs-Elysees – Guerlain: fluorescent floral (exactly)
Emeraude – Coty : cheap oriental (tried it, loved it, cannot find it)
Loukhoum – Keiko Mecheri : powdery candy (exactly!)
Aqua Allegoria Rosa Pop – Guerlain : cute rose (I had it and I traded it for something I wanted more, but it IS cute!!!)
Coco Noir – Chanel : woody fruity (so elegant)
L’Eau Narciso Rodriguez for Her – Narciso Rodruguez : white florals (and pretty)
Fève Délicieuse – Dior : boring beans (your mom's boring)
Follow – Kerosene : coffee flavor (and that's a good thing!)
Gabrielle – Chanel : sour floral (I finished a sample of it and it's not sour at all, your nose is sour)
Lavandes Trianon – Lancome : sour lavander (I finished a sample and I WANT MOAR. Not sour either)
Lait de Vanille – Chabaud : milky skin (d'uh, that's why it's pretty)
Lune Féline – Atelier des Ors : spicy vanilla (very nice)
Pomegranate Noir 2015 – Jo Malone : incense wood (tried it, loved it)
Rhubarbe Ecarlate – Hermes : rhubarb musk (so cute)
Rose Lavande – Fragonard : green rose (I actually wanted to buy it after a thorough testing but it was sold out...maybe next time)
Replica: By the Fireplace – Maison Martin Margiela : clove balsam (srsly? It's the best of all the replicas)
Also, he seemed to hate everything by Chabaud, and I loved almost everything I tried. Different noses I guess, or maybe they just fit my nose and skin.

Of course I'm wearing Mon Guerlain at the moment and loving it.
I told you I could synch for the whole month, maybe for months.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Sooooooo I decided I want to make a list of my options. You know, just to show you how bad my taste is - at least according to Turin & Sanchez!

Le Baiser du Dragon – Cartier : failed oriental (not failed in my eyes; I have 2 bottles of this)
Cabochard – Gres : worn leather (okay, I'm not a big fan, but I have a bottle of the same formulation that got panned)

I don’t have Le Baiser du Dragon listed in my sample wardrobe, but I swear I’ve got a vial somewhere, and a quick whiff seemed encouraging. Who knows? The mind, it plays tricks.

Cabochard is fantastic, though I admit my versions are older.

Hiris – Hermes : sad iris (I have a decant of this 'orrible sad iris and it makes me happy)

There’s nothing sad about Hiris when Dr. T. wears it. Not sure what Luca Turin was smoking for that dismissive review.

I don't have these, but they're in my wishlist or "strongly like-list":
Fahrenheit – Dior : woody leather (I really like it)

I might chalk this up to a reformulation pan. The original Fahrenheit is amazing.

Emeraude – Coty : cheap oriental (tried it, loved it, cannot find it)

This was a favorite of my mother-in-law’s at one time. There’s a ton of it on eBay, most of it dirt cheap. (Vintage can get pricy.)

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
First of Luca Turin's turds I'm wearing is Guerlain Angelique Noire as a pre-sync. This one has fresh Angelica note with florals, fruit notes with a vanilla base.
1255389.JPG

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
I've only got samples of three 1* perfumes, and I don't particularly want to wear any of them (was in sync by accident yesterday by wearing Santal Royal, which I disliked).
More options on the 2* list, so perhaps... Dioressence? Orris Noir, Oscar? The Dark Side, Danger by Roja? Per Fumum: Ambra Luminosa? Quite tempting actually. :D
Or, of course, Miss Dior - how come he panned that one? I must revisit the text... :oops:

In case you didn’t get a chance, here’s the review of the reformulated Miss Dior in the A-Z Guide:

Miss Dior (Dior) ★★ dry chypre $$ Miss Dior has been through more reformulations than I’ve had bad sushi, and by now I’ll wager some people out there are nostalgic for a version that existed only between March and November 1992. The present Miss Dior is a dry, pinched, aldehydic chypre, ageless in a prematurely wrinkled way, and makes me think of pursed, painted lips hissing disparaging bons mots. LT
2009 update. ★★. Still awful. LT

Of course, nothing negative can ever be said about the irreproachable vintage version of Miss Dior. Similarly, it is the reformulated Diorama and Dioressence that are panned, thus:

2009 update. ★★. Insofar as this latest version is (a) not Dioressence and (b) no longer smells good, I see no reason why anyone should shell out for it. LT

And since I can’t bear to read Emeraude summarily dismissed as a “cheap oriental” here’s the review of that one:

Emeraude (Coty) ★ cheap oriental $ This one breaks my heart and makes me despair of capitalism. The original Emeraude (1921) was a masterpiece that predated Shalimar by four years (rumor has it that Coty sold the formula to Guerlain) and in my opinion remained unequaled among orientals. I remember first smelling it on the very first scratch-and-sniff ad circa 1967, below a demure nude in black and white. I would have swapped the girl for an ounce of the perfume anytime. Some years ago, Coty had the original reconstructed by Firmenich’s Daphné Bugey and handed it out to guests at some swank party to which I was not invited. I have managed to smell it nevertheless and can report that it is fantastic, and incidentally in full conformity with EU regulations. Were it released today, it would probably be a best seller within weeks. The Emeraude sold in drugstores is a cynical travesty of the real thing, crap value even at the bargain-basement price. LT

So to truly sync with a Panned by the Guide scent, one needs to be in possession of the correct bad reform bottle of many classic scents.

And to be even more precise, not all of the Panned by Guide scents are panned by Turin. Half of the reviews are by Tania Sanchez (thus the reviews are signed with their initials).

I always enjoy the Panned by the Guide Sync. I think I’ve already done Insolence EDP and Amarige. Need to think about my choice for this year some more.

Schubertian

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 8, 2021
First of Luca Turin's turds I'm wearing is Guerlain Angelique Noire as a pre-sync. This one has fresh Angelica note with florals, fruit notes with a vanilla base.
I expected to like that one, but it was unfortunately discordant on me.

Today's pre-sync was going to be Orris Noir, but I can't find my sample. How annoying when you have your mind set on something and can't wear it! It's neither orris nor noir, but I like it.

I'll go for Oscar then. By the way, Tania Sanchez's ** review is for the modern Oscar, which she admits in the book. Mine is vintage - much better. She says: "The current version of Oscar de la Renta's Oscar from 1977 is complicated but flat, zipping from a tobacco-tinged tuberose top note to a nondescript woody oriental that reminds me of the way my clothes used to smell the morning after a big night out - clinging remnants of perfume and stale cigarette smoke. Ysatis was a better, plusher version of this kind of thing, although I hear that Oscar was a big, impressive tuberose once. It isn't now.
I've never smelled anything approaching cigarette smoke in Oscar de la Renta.

Last edited:

Schubertian

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 8, 2021
In case you didn’t get a chance, here’s the review of the reformulated Miss Dior in the A-Z Guide:

Miss Dior (Dior) ★★ dry chypre $$ Miss Dior has been through more reformulations than I’ve had bad sushi, and by now I’ll wager some people out there are nostalgic for a version that existed only between March and November 1992. The present Miss Dior is a dry, pinched, aldehydic chypre, ageless in a prematurely wrinkled way, and makes me think of pursed, painted lips hissing disparaging bons mots. LT
2009 update. ★★. Still awful. LT

Of course, nothing negative can ever be said about the irreproachable vintage version of Miss Dior. Similarly, it is the reformulated Diorama and Dioressence that are panned, thus:

2009 update. ★★. Insofar as this latest version is (a) not Dioressence and (b) no longer smells good, I see no reason why anyone should shell out for it. LT

So to truly sync with a Panned by the Guide scent, one needs to be in possession of the correct bad reform bottle of many classic scents.

And to be even more precise, not all of the Panned by Guide scents are panned by Turin. Half of the reviews are by Tania Sanchez (thus the reviews are signed with their initials).

I always enjoy the Panned by the Guide Sync. I think I’ve already done Insolence EDP and Amarige. Need to think about my choice for this year some more.
Thank you!
Yes, indeed many of those "pannings" (?) are for the reformulated versions. But, if I recall correctly, for some perfumes they rate both the original version and the reformulation, so it's not completely consistent.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
It’s was a one star toss up between a rose cookie (Oud Satin Mood) and the cashmeran incense (L’Orpheline) today. But OSM won.
Only after a brief convo with my partner did I realise that if you say “oud” in my language, it sounds like you’re overpronouncing a slang word for penis. Eau de Innuendo.
That's funny!

In my language, a simple way* to translate Oud would be ūdas. A Lithuanian word for shit is just one letter apart: šūdas.

Officially it's agarmedis from agar wood, but hey

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Honestly, Turin needs to start panning more fragrances, or we're all going to run out.

Not to mention that the pans are much more fun to read than the praise, even when he's slamming some scent I adore.

and makes me think of pursed, painted lips hissing disparaging bons mots. LT

Gif_MaggieSmithCantAssassinateHim.gif

sagebrush

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 20, 2017
Choices, choices. Not too many, but enough to entertain me at the weekend
Cacharel pour l'Homme, in Synch with @Toxicon
Penhaligon's Elixir, as in previous years
Dior Fahrenheit, double Synch for Fahrenheit Friday (decant)
Etro Ambra 'hippie amber' - nothing of the sort; good SOTN
Hermes Hiris 'sad iris'; Prada Infusion d'Iris - what's Turin's problem with iris ?
Malabah – Penhaligon’s : woody oriental - have an ancient sample; unmemorable

And Guerlain
Heritage EdT (perfection) - Thursday
Vetiver (just out of rotation into storage; unlikely)
Habit Rouge L'Eau (far too lightweight)
L'Heure Bleue EdP (good SOTN; need an anti-insomniac)

Schubertian

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 8, 2021
Continuing today with Francesca Bianchi's The Dark Side. Here's what Luca Turin has to say about it:
"** Woody-amber amber. A solid ambery fragrance notable chiefly for the fact that it contains just the right amount of monster woody-amber material to feel like a round thing from which spikes are sticking out, like a star polyhedron protruding from within a sphere."
I'm not sure what to make of that.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Second one up is another pre-sync with Dior Fahrenheit. I could see Luca Turin not digging it, the current formulation is harder to enjoy which I too agree. I'm only comfortable wearing the earlier formulation from the 1990s.
375x500.228.jpg
I read that current formulation is actually thought to be very good and accurate, it's the one that came between the original and the new 2020 one that was panned. So no need to worry if you finish your original one I guess!

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
I read that current formulation is actually thought to be very good and accurate, it's the one that came between the original and the new 2020 one that was panned. So no need to worry if you finish your original one I guess!
Yeah, my 2020 bottle of Fahrenheit is great. Good longevity and all that, and it still has the petrol note (violet + leather) balanced very nicely against the hawthorn and honeysuckle. I doubt it’s identical to the original formulation I had in the house as a kid, but the scent profile is unmistakably still Fahrenheit, without any obvious compromises.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I haven't gotten around to trying the new 2020 version. I wasn't thrilled with the ones that was available 5-10 years ago.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
This morning I chose a "failed oriental" Le baiser du Dragon by Cartier and enjoyed it. I fell in love with it when I felt lots of fiery cinnamon and boozy notes in it, but now it strongly pulls vetiver on me. I enjoy it both ways, although I miss the spicy opening I used to get before. It's crazy how my perception of scents shifts entirely sometimes.

Now after work I applied some "sad iris" - Hiris by Hermes - from a decant. It's truly sad as my decant is getting dangerously low. 'orrible indeed.

A few days ago I wore Ange ou Demon by Givenchy, another panned scent, it's a balmy and sweetly spicy floriental. Maybe it was too sweet for them? I can still smell it on my scarf and mingling with Hiris now and Le baiser... before. It actually goes quite well with both.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Continuing today with Francesca Bianchi's The Dark Side. Here's what Luca Turin has to say about it:
"** Woody-amber amber. A solid ambery fragrance notable chiefly for the fact that it contains just the right amount of monster woody-amber material to feel like a round thing from which spikes are sticking out, like a star polyhedron protruding from within a sphere."
I'm not sure what to make of that.

Maybe he had something like this in mind? I've met modern woody-ambers that felt similar to this.

battle+flail.jpg

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I smugly thought that I only had one full bottle that was on LT's shit-list: the mis-maligned fan favorite Hiris by Hermes.

But no! I carefully read the entire one-star list (from the 2008 Guide), and discovered that just this year I acquired another one: Eau de Lierre by Diptyque. (With thanks to @Trilby Lark. )

Ouch! I adore this 100% pure green scent, a photorealistic representation of crushing ivy leaves in your hand. It's dripping with what I think of as "vegetable skank", the bitter smell of that sticky, milky liquid that some plants emit when you cut their stems.

Dr. Turin, on the other hand, thinks it is:

* watered gin $$ Wan leafy-green. For the fun of putting on perfume without the fun of smelling it.

Heresy! Also not very true on my skin, where it's anything but wan -- in fact, so strong it's bordering on beastly.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
As a purely masochistic act, I ran through the LT lists and assembled a small pile of options for tomorrow.

1 Star
  • Chanel Allure Homme Sport - "spicy citrus". I only have a sample and find it inoffensive but boring.
  • Chanel Allure Homme Sport Cologne - "woody citrus". Fair description, weirdly low rating. This is like a more nuanced Dior Homme Cologne, meaning a good, modern citrus EDC-style scent. I have others in this zone I prefer, but this is perfectly wearable.
  • Cacharel pour l'Homme - "nutmeg citrus". 1 star?? Blasphemy, idiocy, degeneracy; an embarrassment of an opinion. This is the holy grail of nutmeg scents and one of my personal favorites, as it's this dry, heavily-spiced, aromatic woody classic, much in the vein of Guerlain Vetiver (with the nutmeg to vetiver ratio swapped). Performance could be better, but this is a lovely scent.
  • Azzaro Chrome - "watery citrus". This is one of the few 90s masculine freshies I actually like, though I never reach for it.
  • Lalique Le Parfum - "rock bottom". Insanity. It's not a personal favorite, but this is extremely well done for what it is. Boozy vanilla that's surprisingly not that sweet, with an aromatic/medicinal bay leaf note up top.
2 star
  • Imaginary Authors - Memoirs of a Trespasser - "vanilla woodsmoke". Accurate description. It's a bit rough around the edges, but I like this one a lot as long as I don't overspray. There's a very nice guaiac note in the heart that keeps this in my woody comfort zone.
  • Burberry London for Men - "herbaceous chemical". What? This is one of the best designer masculine scents of the last 20 years. One of the most wearable spiced tobacco "winter" scents ever. Insanity.
  • Gres Cabochard - "worn leather". I'm going to write this off on the assumption he was reviewing one of the lesser reformulations, as the current version is stellar.
  • Floris Santal - "spicy woody". Fair 'nuff.
EDITED TO ADD: I'll probably go with Cacharel, to right this injustice.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
  • Gres Cabochard - "worn leather". I'm going to write this off on the assumption he was reviewing one of the lesser reformulations, as the current version is stellar.

Yes, he was. He wrote at length about it in one of his later blogs.

EDITED TO ADD: I'll probably go with Cacharel, to right this injustice.

That'll show him!

Blue_Eyez

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 23, 2007
Carefully studied the one star list from 2008 to see if I could kill two birds with one stone. And yes, dragged Guerlains aplenty! Quelle horreur!
In my case it will cover last week sync as well.
I find Champs Élysées impossible to wear and usually do one perfunctory wear a year. Have it in a set of miniatures, and at a rate of one wear per year it will last me a lifetime.
It’s noisy, with plastic peach and melon and, as Turin says, fluorescent flowers. Will start my day with a micro dose of this noise, and end day with Vol de nuit pure perfume I bought in Paris.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I'm switching over to celebrating Jacques Guerlain. Here's what I have at my disposal:

• Fleur Qui Meurt (1901)
  • Mouchoir de Monsieur (1904)
  • Après l'Ondée (1906)
  • L'Heure Bleue (1912)
  • Jasmiralda (1917)
  • Mitsouko (1919)
  • Eau de Fleurs de Cédrat (1920)
  • Shalimar (1925)
  • Djédi (1926)
  • Liú (1929)
  • Vol de Nuit (1933)
  • Sous le Vent (1934)
  • Véga (1936)
  • Coque d'Or (1937)
  • Fleur de Feu (1948)

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...