Synchronized Fridays 2022

Jul 9, 2021
A belated autumn sync with one of my first bought fragrances when taking up this hobby last spring. Aramis Devin is a multi-faceted fragrance of the old school even as reformulated and a great autumn scent to my mind. It made me understand what a fragrance can be - a piece of art. Incredibly cheap at the time of buying, the prices now have doubled since its discontinuation.
20220925_100546.jpg

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
A belated autumn sync with one of my first bought fragrances when taking up this hobby last spring. Aramis Devin is a multi-faceted fragrance of the old school even as reformulated and a great autumn scent to my mind. It made me understand what a fragrance can be - a piece of art. Incredibly cheap at the time of buying, the prices now have doubled since its discontinuation.
View attachment 295968
A great one! Devin was my signature scent for 2 bottles worth, back in the day! :love:

Glad I bought a modern bottle!

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Guess it'll either be Red Aoud or Santal Wood for the next prompt, these wear me more then I wear them guess that counts?
That absolutely counts!

It could be turds and scrubbers just like @N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer said, but it can also be great, interesting, fine fragrances that are just a bit too much for us - too big, too loud, too floral, too feminine, masculine or unisex for our liking, a bit too brooding or too frivolous, maybe a bit too sweet, too vintage-y smelling or too popular for us to wholeheartedly approve and be able to wear any day, any time. Something that needs special conditions, mood, occasion or weather to put on. Maybe the end of September could be the perfect time to wear one of these?

sagebrush

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 20, 2017
Perhaps Hermes Eau de Gentiane Blanche earlier on Friday, as I do not enjoy smelling like a dressed salad with green peppers, but it should have worn off by evening.

Will Synch properly on Saturday, as working in-person till late Friday eve, and anything I find challenging to wear is probably challenging for others to be around (talking Hyde, La Couche du Diable, The Lover's Tale, aka something out of 'The Stinkers' bag in my samples box).

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Struggling with what to pick this week. I've finished or since moved along most of the "hard to wear but good" samples. I suppose I could bust out something like 1740 or Antaeus, where the animalic facets come out weirdly strong on my skin, but they're still pretty easygoing, all things considered. Might have to dip into the turd pile. (Sigh.)

teardrop

Basenotes Institution
Sep 1, 2010
l'll be moving house on Friday, which will be challenge enough for me, so l'll be sitting this one out. l'll be needing something comforting & familiar to get me through the day!

lf l were to synch this week, l'd probably pick Fracas. l absolutely adore it, but l definitely have to be in the right mood for such a big, bombastic floral! :)

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
My biggest challenge is Cathedral by Neil Morris. The most powerful incense I've ever smelled. I'm pretty sure the sample is gone, but I refuse to check, in case it isn't! 😜

Realistically, it will be Coffee & Whiskey by Bath & Body Works, my current "challenge" scent. It has power, projection, longevity, and tenacity to spare. The scent is on the borderline between fascinating and annoying. Clothes just smell like it until they're washed. I really have to psych myself up to wear it. But I love it when I get over the hump.

Screenshot_20220924-165122.png

Lastly, and probably a post-sync, will be a test of Blue Smoke by Bluehill Fragrances. Some of her fragrances like Beach Rose and Midnight Ride are strong and inherently challenging, and this one sounds like one of the strong ones. I love Midnight Ride, but Beach Rose is not for me, to put it kindly. Thus it's a crapshoot. But new fragrances are always a challenge for me anyway, so this will be a double challenge. However, I'm excited!

bluesmoke_main2.jpg

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
I'm pre-syncing with one I find increasingly hard to wear, one of my early blind buys that I like in the abstract, but sometimes feels all wrong when it hits skin. Versace l'Homme, a total masculine classic, as bold and brash as ever in modern formulation. Opens with an uppercut: eye-watering LEMON straight to the jaw. Then the herbs come fast and furious, with a relentless BASIL assault from top to base. There's actually a lot to love here, with some retro-classic patchouli, carnation, and cinnamon over this fat-bottomed sweet amber base laced with wood, leather, and mossy notes, but heavily padded with the blooming warmth of amber, vanilla, and tonka. It's got that semi-oriental barbershop vibe of something like Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP, but where that one is a paragon of class and refinement, l'Homme cranks everything to 11 and lets it all hang out.

The main issue for me, really, is that the pungent lemon/basil opening smells an awful lot like toilet cleaner, or urinal cakes, and that association is very hard to shake once you make it. Apparently the older formulations actually smell a bit animalic and pissy; mine does not, but the toilet associations seem to lend a urinous ghost note I'd rather not be thinking of while going about my day. (The neon yellow color of the juice does not help.) It's also... quite strong. One never forgets one chose to wear Versace l'Homme. I usually only spray once to try and tame the beast, but in the spirit of this week's sync, I doubled the output: two to the chest, take no prisoners. I will undoubtedly smell this on my shirt tomorrow, at which point the patchouli and sandalwood base will smell lovely, and I'll forget about the toilet cleaner opening, and the cycle repeats. For now, I am feeling rather VIRILE E ROMANTICO.

versace-lhomme-ad.jpg

Schubertian

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 8, 2021
I'm struggling a bit with the theme of uneasiest wear. I love everything I have (bar a few bottles that I'm planning to sell or swap, so I don't count them). I only count perfumes that I have at least a large decant of, since it means I made some kind of commitment to them.
For me the uneasiness comes from needing a very specific mood for something, never finding the right situation to wear something, or possibly consideration of other people (skank factor or strength, or both).
Vintage Poison belongs here, then. L'Heure Bleue also, because it feels so much of another time. Opus III Amouage because it feels too posh and formal for most everydays. Dryad, because I still feel ambivalent about liking it yet I can't let go of my decant.
For the last category: Salome, and The Lover's Tale. I might try my decant of Carnicure, too, though I'm not sure it will be an uncomfortable wear. Last time i tried it, it smelled cozy.
Anyway I'll be travelling most of the day (and probably dousing myself in perfumes at the airports) so I'll only catch up in the evening.

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I'm pre-syncing with one I find increasingly hard to wear, one of my early blind buys that I like in the abstract, but sometimes feels all wrong when it hits skin. Versace l'Homme, a total masculine classic, as bold and brash as ever in modern formulation. Opens with an uppercut: eye-watering LEMON straight to the jaw. Then the herbs come fast and furious, with a relentless BASIL assault from top to base. There's actually a lot to love here, with some retro-classic patchouli, carnation, and cinnamon over this fat-bottomed sweet amber base laced with wood, leather, and mossy notes, but heavily padded with the blooming warmth of amber, vanilla, and tonka. It's got that semi-oriental barbershop vibe of something like Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP, but where that one is a paragon of class and refinement, l'Homme cranks everything to 11 and lets it all hang out.

The main issue for me, really, is that the pungent lemon/basil opening smells an awful lot like toilet cleaner, or urinal cakes, and that association is very hard to shake once you make it. Apparently the older formulations actually smell a bit animalic and pissy; mine does not, but the toilet associations seem to lend a urinous ghost note I'd rather not be thinking of while going about my day. (The neon yellow color of the juice does not help.) It's also... quite strong. One never forgets one chose to wear Versace l'Homme. I usually only spray once to try and tame the beast, but in the spirit of this week's sync, I doubled the output: two to the chest, take no prisoners. I will undoubtedly smell this on my shirt tomorrow, at which point the patchouli and sandalwood base will smell lovely, and I'll forget about the toilet cleaner opening, and the cycle repeats. For now, I am feeling rather VIRILE E ROMANTICO.

versace-lhomme-ad.jpg
I’ve never tried this that I can recall, but I may like it! “Virile e romantico” sounds worthy, and all that sanitary lemon may meet up with my love for PineSol and friends! 😁

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
I’ve never tried this that I can recall, but I may like it! “Virile e romantico” sounds worthy, and all that sanitary lemon may meet up with my love for PineSol and friends! 😁
Definitely a smell worth smelling. I’m actually enjoying it today now that I’m leaning into the vibe; cooler weather helps. Prime candidate for a blind buy, too. Testers go for about $18 on ebay.

MistaPanda

Aug 20, 2018
A few come to mind :

Those that are too sweet... those that have a particular note I'm not fond of... those that I find a tad too feminine...

But in the end, I think I'm going to synch with one of those :

- Une Amourette (EDLO) : I like it, but I never know how to wear it... occasion, color, outfits... this one's a bit weird & tricky !

- Equipage Geranium (Hermès) : It doesn't smell bad by any means, but I feel like I'm in my 60's when I wear it ! I probably linked that "signature smell" to someone way older than me at some point in my life.

- Moustache EDP (Rochas) : I know this one is highly appreciated and usually considered more "likeable" than "challenging"... yet I'm struggling to wear it ! I do not know if it's because of a lingering sweetness... or a mix of notes, but it's getting on my nerves after a while... I'll have to give it a few other tries 😄

sagebrush

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 20, 2017
- Equipage Geranium (Hermès) : It doesn't smell bad by any means, but I feel like I'm in my 60's when I wear it ! I probably linked that "signature smell" to someone way older than me at some point in my life.

If you think that about EG, have you tried original Equipage ? I see EG as the younger generation version.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
That absolutely counts!

It could be turds and scrubbers just like @N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer said, but it can also be great, interesting, fine fragrances that are just a bit too much for us - too big, too loud, too floral, too feminine, masculine or unisex for our liking, a bit too brooding or too frivolous, maybe a bit too sweet, too vintage-y smelling or too popular for us to wholeheartedly approve and be able to wear any day, any time. Something that needs special conditions, mood, occasion or weather to put on. Maybe the end of September could be the perfect time to wear one of these?
I don't have it in me to want to wear Aventus (turd) or Eau d'Hermes (scrubber).

I will go with the potency and longevity of YSL Kouros. I find it challenging to wear because it goes on and on and I'd like to wear something else without smelling like Kouros.

375x500.735.jpg

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Well, I will be wearing my most challenging perfume this Friday—but not saying for how long! :giggle:

Mugler Aura edp is one of only two fragrances I have ever purchased blind. Went for it before it got to Canada, based on the intriguing descriptions—and the descriptions were correct. But even after five years my brain has never been able to understand what this scent is or my nose to decide whether I like it.

ADA618FA-7E76-4AC9-A407-9FFAEFC9A444.jpeg

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I did not want to wear something unpleasant or difficult for a long day at work, so I found a workaround around this theme.

I chose Miroir Miroir: Miroir des Majestes by Thierry Mugler.
To me it smells perfect. It's deep, it's intoxicating, it's alluring, it's darkly sweet, it's smoky, it's festive, it feels absolutely special. So special that it's one of my least worn fragrances despite my love and excitement for it! The last time I wore it was the last New Year's eve. I kept opening a cap and sniffing it but haven't worn it until today.
I do have two bottles but I know that when I run out, I run out and there's no replenishing it, and it stops me in my tracks, and I choose something else. If it's not the hardest reach I don't know what to say!

(Edit: apparently I mixed "since" and "until". Fixed that.)

Last edited:

H_West

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 14, 2015
I don't have that challenging scents in my wardrobe right now. As I can think of. I've had a bit of a struggle with animalic notes or old school leathers. The thing with those notes is that when I wear them it feels like I am borrowing a suit from a grandpa. It's not necessarily too big, but it don't always suit me, or the materials seem unusual. I might have found one with a bit of both: Hermes - Bel Ami Vetiver. And that is my choice of today:

1664520959048.png

As I am working from home I went big - four sprays. It has maybe passed an hour since application and it does not feel that challenging today. Pretty nice actually :)

MistaPanda

Aug 20, 2018
If you think that about EG, have you tried original Equipage ? I see EG as the younger generation version.
I don't think I have actually, but if they have the same "DNA"... chances are I put everything in the same bag ! I'll test this one next time I go to some kind of Sephora 😄
I own a few other fragrances from that era and they do not give me the same feeling... even if they do not scream "youthfulness" either.
So I guess this was the signature of an elderly man I knew when I was a kid... and my olfactive memory forever associated it with an "old man's scent" ^^

donna255

Basenotes Institution
Jul 16, 2004
Had a long think about today and one came to me. I actually had to search to find it, which shows not a bottle I pick very often and surprised I haven't got rid of it?

Superstitious by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I am not a fan of jasmine or in general white florals, they go what I call screeching on me.
So the week this was released I was at a store evening and had been drinking the champagne and as I knew the SA for Malle talking to him. He was actually going and getting more champagne for me. He explained the fragrance, I said not a fan of jasmine, but this was a special jasmine it seems. So tested it, and it was quite lovely, yes that was the champagne talking. So I bought it, tried again the next day and well yes it was screeching at me. Today I am suffering for the synch by wearing it.:eek:

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Had a long think about today and one came to me. I actually had to search to find it, which shows not a bottle I pick very often and surprised I haven't got rid of it?

Superstitious by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

I am not a fan of jasmine or in general white florals, they go what I call screeching on me.
So the week this was released I was at a store evening and had been drinking the champagne and as I knew the SA for Malle talking to him. He was actually going and getting more champagne for me. He explained the fragrance, I said not a fan of jasmine, but this was a special jasmine it seems. So tested it, and it was quite lovely, yes that was the champagne talking. So I bought it, tried again the next day and well yes it was screeching at me. Today I am suffering for the synch by wearing it.:eek:
Thank you for your Friday sacrifice and for a funny story!
Maybe you can find someone who would like to swap your Superstitious to something of theirs that you would enjoy more!

sagebrush

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 20, 2017
Suffering for the Synch in Hermes Eau de Gentiane Blanche, though it doesn't seem as salady today - I get more iris with mildly bitter green.
But not for long. Last night's SOTN was 1951, which I would not wear outside the house unless it had reached far drydown.
The perfect follow-on is TF Noir Anthracite, which for some reason I rarely wear, but seems a good choice for this rainy Friday. By the time I work this evening, it will have settled down. Almost wish I'd bought a FB when they were heavily discounted, though realistically, I find TFs too linear, and they last far too long, outstaying their welcome.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...