Synchronized Fridays 2022

MistaPanda

Aug 20, 2018
I must say I don't mind the vast majority of my bottles... some are "meh", some look amazing to me for various reasons, most are interesting in their own right. ^^

If I have to make a short list, here are a few options :
- Mugler's A*Men collection and its rubber flasks
- Armaf Club de Nuit Intense Man with those tacky "diamonds" on the cap .
- Lattafa Ejaazi looks cheap with that big, black sticker on the bottle
- JPG Le Mâle Eau fraîche (Popeye Editiion) is a bit too juvenile... but it goes with the smell to be fair

In the end, I decided to pick a fragrance I got for a great price because the bottle was in quite a bad shape : D&G Pour homme (vintage, Euroitalia). Dirty cap, no more front label (only some glue)... not the best look, but still smells amazing ! 😁

Capture d’écran 2022-08-19 à 16.05.33.png

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I'm finally back home and I just joined @JON RODGERS in my own kind of childish humour with Guerlain Mahora. This is a strong tropical floral with light spice in the top notes. I enjoy it.

1660921920374.png
Now, I only have a mini and as a mini it's actually cute.
But when I try to imagine a 100 ml bottle in its whole phallic glory, I just can't help but burst in laughter!

P.S. And what's with the goggly eye?! :D

Apr 8, 2021
Wouldn't call this ugly, since I do a lot of colourtheory in my profession I see nothing wrong with this.
It's not the colours I mind. .... Or did I miss your /s ?
I love the look and feel of this bottle!
Me, too.
In proper sync with another 80s gem, this time in a proper ugly bottle. I give you… “the Knob” aka Roger & Gallet Open. A dry, soapy fougere highlighting tobacco, vetiver, sage, and thyme. One of the best retro cheapies around, with a bottle befitting the price. The off center screenprinting just adds to the charm.
I like how the round plastic cap even has a seam in the middle.

sagebrush

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 20, 2017
a classic that recently got an updated bottle that loses a lot of charm of the previous zippo-style flip top. ...

The scent at issue is Jacomo de Jacomo—a smoldering clove bomb over a bed of moss, leather, and black ash. I think of it as the scent of Pompeii, and it feels like it’s perpetually singeing my nostrils. I gather my bottle is tame compared to vintage juice, but this is lovely stuff. Perfectly weird, oddly timeless.
Jacomo de Jacomo was on my list of potential Synchs - that zippo-style flip top loses a lot of its charm when a) it's hard to direct the spray, and b) the flip-lid won't stay down in the closed position.

However, I've gone with Puig's classic Quorum, because the bottle looks cheap and nasty, especially the chunky dark brown and gold plastic cap. It gets to lurk at the back of my rotation display, in the darkest corner. I'd wear it more often if the bottle were better-looking; the contents smell far better than it looks.

26121340-j

I prefer it to current Polo Green - Quorum is not cloying, it's bitter-greener and more piney; also mossy; Polo I find too thick and heavy, and it's become a reformulated patchouli-leather monster to make up for lack of oakmoss and greenery.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Jacomo de Jacomo was on my list of potential Synchs - that zippo-style flip top loses a lot of its charm when a) it's hard to direct the spray, and b) the flip-lid won't stay down in the closed position.

However, I've gone with Puig's classic Quorum, because the bottle looks cheap and nasty, especially the chunky dark brown and gold plastic cap. It gets to lurk at the back of my rotation display, in the darkest corner. I'd wear it more often if the bottle were better-looking; the contents smell far better than it looks.

26121340-j

I prefer it to current Polo Green - Quorum is not cloying, it's bitter-greener and more piney; also mossy; Polo I find too thick and heavy, and it's become a reformulated patchouli-leather monster to make up for lack of oakmoss and greenery.
It’s funny, I actually like the way they updated the bottle for Quorum Silver - the cap is still crap but the bottle itself looks great in clear glass. But the OG Quorum color scheme is so ridiculously drab. (Still need to try OG Quorum one of these days; sounds right up my alley.)

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I must say I don't mind the vast majority of my bottles... some are "meh", some look amazing to me for various reasons, most are interesting in their own right. ^^

If I have to make a short list, here are a few options :
- Mugler's A*Men collection and its rubber flasks
You probably could remove rubber flasks and replace it with the metal flask for the original AMEN. Pure Malt with a metal flask would be a total upgrade.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Tbh I don’t see it. It just looks like a vase and the lace pattern on the top reminds me of the kind of lace table cloths that my grandma used to have at her house. 🤷‍♀️

Aren't you just the most innocent thing?

There seems to be a lot of confusion between purely aesthetic abominations and plain old bad engineering (wonky caps, tippy bottles, lousy ergonomics, etc.) I'll take poor engineering over an eyesore any day, if it's something that's constantly on display.

My ugliest bottle contains juice that I couldn't possibly wear in the heat of August, but I'm going to let it take a bow anyway: tacky aesthetics AND crappy engineering converge in the early generation bottles of Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier. A cap with a humongous fake jewel so vulgar it could nauseate Roja Dove, combined with a bottle so slender and top-heavy that it's in constant danger of falling over.

It's always been perplexing to me because in all other respects, MGP is a very classy and refined house. I can't help but wonder if somebody's brother in law needed a job and fancied himself an industrial designer and they just failed to restrain him. They've gotten a little better with recent bottles, but that ugly jewel cap could still use more toning down (or disappearing altogether).

ParfumDHabit_MPG_2ndVersion.jpg

Though, if I did, it might be Lacoste Land:

Really? That's the best you've got? I thought for sure you would pull out some jaw-dropping monstrosity.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Really? That's the best you've got? I thought for sure you would pull out some jaw-dropping monstrosity.

I have a bunch of those red MPG bottles you hate. I think the Land bottle is homelier. But, also, I’m not home, so I’m just perusing the photo library on my phone. I might have something horrendous-looking awaiting my return. As it stands, Free Life takes the moldy cake.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I chose Lalique Le Parfum. Beautiful fragrance in a heavily blocky, unwieldy bottle.

I have a soft spot for blocky, inkwell bottles (Lauren, Encre Noir, new Balmains, et al), but I do admit they're unwieldy to hold and spray at the same time.

“the Knob” aka Roger & Gallet Open.

Hey, I've always kind of liked that bottle! It looks like a playful take on a liquor flask to me.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Hey, I've always kind of liked that bottle! It looks like a playful take on a liquor flask to me.
Yeah, in the grand scheme it's not so bad. The knob just cracks me up.

In hindsight, I think you’re right that MpG takes the cake. Here’s my (beloved) Route du Vetiver in all its glory.
B3440D68-52A2-490E-8090-04B2E4F214FE.jpeg 2A41792F-591A-46C3-AB96-FB14AF98F823.jpeg

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
The weather will be slightly cooler this evening to pull this out - Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille
375x500.478.jpg
Omg, where is "omg" emoticon to react to the post?!
So you really meant these bottles, not the even taller and longer ones (like L'eau) that are really easy to tip over?

These are my actual beauty standard in the fragrance bottle world... And they stand okay!

😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶

Sorry, I'm not here to invalidate your feelings about this kind of bottle, if it is inconvenient or unpretty to you then it is, I am just schocked!

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
So you really meant these bottles, not the even taller and longer ones (like L'eau) that are really easy to tip over?

These are my actual beauty standard in the fragrance bottle world... And they stand okay!

😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶

Sorry, I'm not here to invalidate your feelings about this kind of bottle, if it is inconvenient or unpretty to you then it is, I am just schocked!

Clockwork, I agree that original Lutens bottle is gorgeous. It’s also a menace; bang your knuckle into it while reaching for something on the perfume tray and everything goes down! 🎳

knit at nite

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 5, 2009

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I don't think it's that bad. A little dated, maybe, but not egregiously ugly.
I like the bottle (Polo Explorer) in a fond memory way. That was bought when I was first getting into online fragrance discussion. I could smell the homage to several prior Polos - I loved it. Fremont and Blanc. Others hated it, but I didn’t care - it was like falling for the girl everybody warns you about wrongly.

It’s the scent that most don’t like. Modern synthetic subtle coniferoid. Hell yeah! 🤩

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011

😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶😶

I saw the bottle casualties with my own eyes, that's not something you forget. I'm ok being in the minority here to think these bottles are a disaster waiting to happen.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I saw the bottle casualties with my own eyes, that's not something you forget. I'm ok being in the minority here to think these bottles are a disaster waiting to happen.
I see!
Just because I did not experience disasters with them does not mean others don't.
But they still are a beauty to me.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I'm equally surprised this abomination didn't make an appearance.

375x500.4056.jpg
Because 1) it's way too hot to wear a thick powdery incense;
and 2) I actually enjoy the bottle! :D
You know, I thought about it for this synch. I really hate the stupid golden detail and the plastic ribbon, but the whole over the top gothic dress thing does actually appeal to me.

However, when I do have it out, I do keep the tacky golden rose facing the wall, I must admit.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I'm kind of surprised that nobody brought up Mugler's Womanity for the ugly duckling sync. The bottle was so widely mocked when it came out, although I thought it was so over the top that it was rather jolie laide.

thierry-mugler-womanity-collection-metamorphoses.png
I haven't seen it live so I can't tell, but looking at the photo I think I'd actually like it (it's just the pink colour that ruins it for me). Reading the notes list I'm pretty sure I'd love the outsides of the bottle so much more than the insides - I believe it's utterly disgusting.
Fig and caviar? Blergh.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
What I'm surprised have not come up for this synch is actually the bottles of Roja Dove and Xerjoff.
They are SO UGLY AND TACKY I CAN'T EVEN. The poor Gallianos, Muglers, Moschinos, Gaultiers and others at least are full of humour and don't seem like taking themselves too seriously - they're just camp and fun in a way.

But these tacky abominations somehow look like they think they're the shit...

1661115252788.png 1661115270165.png 1661115277172.png
1661115345268.png 1661115353568.png 1661115360300.png 1661115367743.png

(If you hate me for this post because you have and adore these horrors, may I remind you that I personally like the bottles of John Galliano, most Muglers and Moschino's Cheap and Chic, maybe it'll allow you to disregard my opinion and sleep in peace)

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
If I had a bottle available at the trip I probably would have worn Lolitaland. View attachment 276169
Another one I like!
I think it's childish in a cute way.
But I hear you. I had and finished its flanker Oh Ma Biche and while I actually found the winged fairytale Bambi cap very cute, I did keep it in the cupboard just in case so that visitors would not see it. :D
I would say these bottles are my actual guilty pleasure. :)

1661117642384.png

Perfumania - America's Leading Perfumery Chain!

Latest News

. .