Synchronized Fridays 2022

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Luckily owning quite a few bottles that look plain and/or unassuming from the outside while simultaneously having impressively good smelling contents, have quite a few to choose from if deciding to join the sync

knit at nite

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 5, 2009
Don't understand how I missed "Your Favourite Note" sync last week. My bad.
This week's Ugly Ducklings, Golden Hearts – Or the beautiful scent that you hide in the back of your collection because the bottle is so ugly is an interesting one. My bottls are all in drawers except for the few minutes I'm spraying them, so they're all in the dark. Thinking perhaps, Dali's Laguna for that unbalanced oversized lip bottle top. We'll see

donna255

Basenotes Institution
Jul 16, 2004
I am not a bottle person, as long as it sprays well I am happy. Do not hide any because of the bottle.

But, I am going with Donna Karan Signature in the original Klingon Phaser bottle, yes it might have been designed by her husband who is a designer. But it is the most unless bottle to actually try to spray, seriously you try to spray like a normal bottle, and you will spray the wall. You need to turn it on its side and aim over your shoulder, and then you actually manage to get it on your neck. The rubber top you have to hit an exact spot to get the spray to even work. No wonder they changed it to a normal black glass bottle.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Such a great entry to the theme, @donna255!
It's true, looks be damned, there's no worse fragrance bottle than the one you cannot even use to apply the fragrance that's in it. Functionality is where it's at.

Today I'm kind of pre-synching in Jean Paul Gaultier's Classique Eau Fraiche.
It's not ugly nor absolutely worth hiding in my eyes - but it is very pink and kinda tacky, and I do keep it hidden, hehe. Although it's also a little bit punk and very fun at the same time, so I kind of enjoy it, too!
It smells very tropical, very feminine and sweet - with a heavily sweetened lime/lemon cocktail opening and sweet tropical florals, and light vanilla. She is very fun indeed, this headless woman in a pink stripey dress.

1660819878510.png

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Honestly a head could make the whole situation way worse 😬 I always thought these bottles looked like those figurines that tailors use.
You are right, it's most probably a sewing model!

Ahahaha, now I'm trying to imagine how tacky it would be with a head added, and oh dear!
I'm imagining a Barbie head with lots of long hair. You should remove the head to spray the perfume.
As a kid I would have loved this!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Such a great entry to the theme, @donna255!
It's true, looks be damned, there's no worse fragrance bottle than the one you cannot even use to apply the fragrance that's in it. Functionality is where it's at.

Today I'm kind of pre-synching in Jean Paul Gaultier's Classique Eau Fraiche.
It's not ugly nor absolutely worth hiding in my eyes - but it is very pink and kinda tacky, and I do keep it hidden, hehe. Although it's also a little bit punk and very fun at the same time, so I kind of enjoy it, too!
It smells very tropical, very feminine and sweet - with a heavily sweetened lime/lemon cocktail opening and sweet tropical florals, and light vanilla. She is very fun indeed, this headless woman in a pink stripey dress.

View attachment 275815
Yikes! I think this is something Moschino would've done.

Apr 8, 2021
Ugly ducklings, I have a few...

Paloma Picasso in the “Eye of Sauron” bottle...

View attachment 275820
Haha yes, but the contents are divine! My bottle is the round one, which works a little better as a design imo.

I'd say these are pretty ugly, so they are tomorrow's contenders. Their contents, whilst not divine, are still much nicer than the packaging would indicate.

IMG_0319 Small.jpeg
This is just very ugly. I don't mind functional and simple, but c'mon. The sprayer doesn't even have a cap.

IMG_0318 Small.jpeg

This one is ugly, but also so completely alien to my usual aesthetic that it feels like an intruder on my shelf. A huge black brick that you could kill someone with, gold accents, and stuck-on rhinestones. And that decoration-thingy that's glued onto the bottle. And the name. I try not to look at it when I spray it.

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
All week long I’ve been drawing a blank on ugly bottles, although I seem to recall often thinking I don’t like the bottles of a lot of great perfumes.

However, Donna’s post brought to mind that while the 200 ml Chanel bottles are far from ugly in design, they are an accident waiting to happen. I’ve dropped them several times. Luckily they are like tanks and didn’t break.

That post along with the news that Sycomore is coming out in parfum led to choosing Sycomore edp—from the 75 ml bottle! 😊

DA3572A3-8262-4392-9BBA-D2C0A5653B07.jpg

Last edited:

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Haha yes, but the contents are divine! My bottle is the round one, which works a little better as a design imo.

I'd say these are pretty ugly, so they are tomorrow's contenders. Their contents, whilst not divine, are still much nicer than the packaging would indicate.

View attachment 275855
This is just very ugly. I don't mind functional and simple, but c'mon. The sprayer doesn't even have a cap.

View attachment 275856

This one is ugly, but also so completely alien to my usual aesthetic that it feels like an intruder on my shelf. A huge black brick that you could kill someone with, gold accents, and stuck-on rhinestones. And that decoration-thingy that's glued onto the bottle. And the name. I try not to look at it when I spray it.
I'm weirdly fond of the Escentric bottles, but I think they look better in the 100 ml version. It has a different sprayer and kind of works without a cap. The little bottles just look capless testers - not ideal.

The Armaf Club de Nuit bottles are insane. Who on earth finds this design appealing? I like it slightly better for Milestone (fully rose gold) and Sillage (extra insane silver splattered with paint), but the glued on medallion and chain with fake gems has to be one of the tackiest bottle designs I've seen. What's so strange about this is most of the other Armaf and Sterling bottles are perfectly fine. Generic but inoffensive. Yet their most popular line by far gets this gaudy monstrosity. Honestly, they could just make it all black, keep the text and lose the medallion and bling and it'd be fine! Probably cheaper to produce, too.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Most of my bottles are at least tolerable, so I’m taking liberties here. As my pre-sync runner up I’m going with a classic that recently got an updated bottle that loses a lot of charm of the previous zippo-style flip top. The overall design is spot on for the scent - a hard edged, frosted black obelisk, almost brutalist. Where it fails is the hideous chromed plastic accents. Bottle designers, please, for the love of god stop using fake chrome. It looks appalling 100% of the time. Matte black plastic always look better. Less is more.

The scent at issue is Jacomo de Jacomo—a smoldering clove bomb over a bed of moss, leather, and black ash. I think of it as the scent of Pompeii, and it feels like it’s perpetually singeing my nostrils. I gather my bottle is tame compared to vintage juice, but this is lovely stuff. Perfectly weird, oddly timeless.

Attachments

• A7CD65FF-6C74-4DBC-A890-D14797B76EEC.jpeg
    A7CD65FF-6C74-4DBC-A890-D14797B76EEC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • B9A586C0-AD5A-435E-9EFF-6F8A0F5F6F7A.jpeg
    B9A586C0-AD5A-435E-9EFF-6F8A0F5F6F7A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • B6E708BC-3DE1-4093-91B7-8C52FDAB6D3C.jpeg
    B6E708BC-3DE1-4093-91B7-8C52FDAB6D3C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I don't dig the bottles but I was referring to the artwork on the bottle. Who gave the green light for it? It better be a swan that can conjure up gold eggs.
I do like the artwork itself actually! To me it's the best part of the bottle, apart from the contents of course. I just don't dig the actual bottle shape and that it's all pink 😀

The bottle is a collab with a painter and graffiti artist André Saraiva and it looks punk in a cute way.
You probably don't like graffiti art at all I guess.

teardrop

Basenotes Institution
Sep 1, 2010
l don't own any bottles that l consider truly ugly, except perhaps Rose Jam which comes in a cleaning product-like pump spray, but l'm not wearing that sillage monster in the middle of August! 😱

l've gone for Brasil Dream, which always reminds me of one of those beach inflatables. lt's kind of cute, but not attractive. And it's perfect for a warm-but-not-too-hot, humid day. :)

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I really don't like the Serge Lutens bottles, I'm not referring to the bell jars but the tall skinny bottles. They seem very cumbersome and prone to falling over like dominos. I remember this one time at the Barneys New York department store that some of these were toppled over by accident. A few fell on the floor and shattered.

metanoia

Oct 7, 2021
I really don't like the Serge Lutens bottles, I'm not referring to the bell jars but the tall skinny bottles. They seem very cumbersome and prone to falling over like dominos. I remember this one time at the Barneys New York department store that some of these were toppled over by accident. A few fell on the floor and shattered.
Yes! They are positively flimsy. I love travelling with the 50ml though. Very easy to pack, but the base of the bottles should be heavier to be more stable.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I do like the look of the skyscrapers (although to me the regular Serge Lutens bottles are the best looking and one of the prettiest bottles overall!), but they really don't look stable at all!

Lancome Idole bottles are even worse.

JON RODGERS

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Joining today's synch with Bond No 9 Washington Square. Glad I've already had breakfast :sick:

0bb20eb3ff26b73dc828bd5f72168681.jpg

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I don’t consider any of the bottles I own downright ugly but a couple are fiddly or difficult to spray, such as the whimsical Lempicka apple with its stem sprayer.

I chose Lalique Le Parfum. Beautiful fragrance in a heavily blocky, unwieldy bottle.

87-E57-BE5-8-C09-4204-954-A-91-D632-CE0-C07.jpg
I love the look and feel of this bottle!
It's very elegant and substantial to me.
But I absolutely agree that it's difficult to handle! I need both hands to spray it.

It's one of those instances where getting a smaller size is a good idea, even if you pay much more per ml!

Now I thought that I'm actually kind of in synch right now with Les amoureux de Peynet by Molinard - I do love the bottle and the drawing on it, it looks elegant and the bottle is of good quality, but it is very unwieldy, too! It's quite thin from the side and very broad at the front and it makes it difficult to grab. I do display it proudly though and like it to be easy for me to reach.

1660910911367.png

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
Looking back through my photo library, it’s hard to imagine one worse than Etienne Aigner Free Life:

Ugh. It‘s as if that ugly ridged bottle was available In the warehouse, and they applied the graphics randomly to it.

Now, I happen to like this bottle and the associated splash flacon even more.

0CEC56D5-EB68-4145-801E-FBE548826128.jpeg

The colors are unusual but well matched, IMHO.

Latest News