Synchronized Fridays 2022

Tea_Lilly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 4, 2022
What a great sync this is turning out to be! Every single post is so educational, with information popping up I never see in other threads.

I can hardly wait to re-read the entire thing after the whole day is done!
I agree - love this sync - I may be taking notes on some of these I want to try. How wonderful!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
6th one up is Thierry Mugler AMEN. I think this is one of the most innovative gourmand scents to men at the time of its original release. It doesn't get as much appreciation or mention but I still enjoy for this one quite often especially during the holidays.

375x500.705.jpg

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Synced properly with Jean Claude Ellena's early 90s floral oddball Rochas Globe. I'm not the best equipped to describe exactly what this is. A lot of reviews call it a fougere; to my nose it feels closer to a unisex floral chypre. I can pick out artemisia in the opening, some light citrus, and a whole lot of florals - according to the note tree, jasmine, muguet, carnation, rose, tagetes (which is one I've only encountered before in Lubin Itasca, a similarly floral-forward but otherwise completely different woodland vetiver), with some pine and balsam fire over a base of light leather and woods. Smells a bit like Antaeus if you peel away the animalics. And this might just be my inexperience, but something in the overall structure vaguely reminds me of Azzaro Acteur, though this feels much lighter (far less leather) and focused more on abstract florals. I'm no expert on JCE; hard to pick up any similarity between this and his more famous masculines like Declaration and Terre d'Hermes, though Globe is certainly nice enough.

This was a freebie from a very kind basenoter, who sent me a mini bottle (much like this one). Outside my normal zone, but I've come to enjoy it. The name "Globe" is curious--I have no idea what they were going for, but it led to some interesting marketing. For my favorite theory about the name's inspiration, see this ridiculous NSFW advertisement. For now I'll keep it safe and post the tame but weirdly Ayn Rand-inspired alternate:

o.92439.jpg
Following your lead tonight.

Smelling it now, I’m suddenly wondering for the first time if perhaps this is Ellena going for a Maxim’s Fraicheur.

The fruit, the leather, the florals, this interesting mish mash of things and tones and colors. Will smell them together this weekend.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
9E23006B-1B8F-446C-8FFD-E6A088FBCFE2.jpeg

SOTE: Dana - Emir—Jean Carles

Those who despair of ever finding an affordable bottle of vintage Caron Tabac Blonde or Chanel Cuir de Russie might do well to see out one of these relatively affordable Emir Cologne bottles. (The parfum, not so easy to find.)

This is a boozy, Persian-inspired leather amber, as good as anything Dana issued in its golden age, though vintage 20 Carats (with allegedly gold flakes!) will give it a run for its money. Jean Carles and Dana may be remembered for their more commercially durable creations, Tabu and Canoë, but if I had to pick just one, it’d probably be this’un right here.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I decided to wait for something I wanted to wear that fit the sync, and late Friday night it happened, with Burberry The Beat For Men, composed by Olivier Polge. This fragrance was a mild success on launch, and helped secure Olivier his reputation as a winner in designer men’s fragrances. It is nearly forgotten now, but I made sure I had enough stashed to last, since it can be hard to find.

A kind of oily, peppery, ISO E Super monster, that smells both generic and uniquely so. I love it as a travel fragrance because it’s subdued but persistent.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! 😜

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
I decided to wait for something I wanted to wear that fit the sync, and late Friday night it happened, with Burberry The Beat For Men, composed by Olivier Polge. This fragrance was a mild success on launch, and helped secure Olivier his reputation as a winner in designer men’s fragrances. It is nearly forgotten now, but I made sure I had enough stashed to last, since it can be hard to find.

A kind of oily, peppery, ISO E Super monster, that smells both generic and uniquely so. I love it as a travel fragrance because it’s subdued but persistent.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! 😜
This style had a brief but intense “moment” in the late aughts, as I recall. Marc Jacobs Bang! Was another along these lines, also now deceased. That was pretty good stuff. “Buttery synth woods” could maybe be the name of the style.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Following your lead tonight.

Smelling it now, I’m suddenly wondering for the first time if perhaps this is Ellena going for a Maxim’s Fraicheur.

The fruit, the leather, the florals, this interesting mish mash of things and tones and colors. Will smell them together this weekend.
Wearing Maxim’s Pour Homme and Globe today, and sure enough, their bases are fairly similar, with Maxims being heftier and a bit more leathery, and Globe ending drier and soapier. And both are similarly hard to describe, being many things at once: leather chypre, fougere, sweet-ish but not heavily so, floral.

Globe is far fruitier and sweeter on top, and smelling it next to Maxim’s really brings that out. Maxims opens in more typical leather chypre fashion, with some stout green bitterness…but they settle into similar territory. I think Ellena was working around a theme here, experimenting.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I've experienced either/or, but not both at the same time.

I think you have to be in the semi-tropical south to get the crushing heat and crushing rain at the same time. This week we had a storm while it was 98F, with straight-line winds bending trees in half during hurricane-level horizontal rain

Mar 13, 2012
I think you have to be in the semi-tropical south to get the crushing heat and crushing rain at the same time. This week we had a storm while it was 98F, with straight-line winds bending trees in half during hurricane-level horizontal rain
We get it here. So strange when the sun is shining brightly, no clouds, it's super hot and then it rains. It never lasts for long though. You guys get the strong wind too though which we do not.

HouseOfPhlegethon

addict of fumes
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2017
What a great sync this is turning out to be! Every single post is so educational, with information popping up I never see in other threads.

I can hardly wait to re-read the entire thing after the whole day is done!

I've enjoyed reading these posts as well.

I was too lazy to research my wardrobe for this sync. I'm sure I have a few that would've been great for this sync. ;)

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
For favorite notes, I have quite a few:

Chocolate - Guerlain Gourman Coquin, Thierry Mugler Amen
Vanilla - Indult Tihota
Iris - Xerjoff Irisss, Serge Lutens Iris Silver Mist
Oakmoss - Rogue Perfumery Chypre Siam, Chanel Pour Monsieur
Sandalwood - Chanel Egoiste, Guerlain Samsara
Patchouli - Givenchy Gentleman
Vetiver - Guerlain Vetiver, Chanel Sycomore
Amber - TF Amber Absolute

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
I’m slowly easing back into everyday life after a 3-week family trip to England, which culminated in assisting the First Daughter in relocating from Cambridge to Princeton.

There were so many things and details to remember that I didn’t pack any perfume! I’m looking forward to the Friday Sync. It‘s going to be galbanum for me. A bucket load of it.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I’m slowly easing back into everyday life after a 3-week family trip to England, which culminated in assisting the First Daughter in relocating from Cambridge to Princeton.

There were so many things and details to remember that I didn’t pack any perfume! I’m looking forward to the Friday Sync. It‘s going to be galbanum for me. A bucket load of it.
I hope the trip was nice and hope it was lovely to see your family, and that your first daughter relocated successfully! Is she studying right now?
Did you not wear any perfume at all during the three weeks?
If so, ouch! I can imagine how you missed the galbanum!

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I was going to do Iris too, specifically Iris Silver Mist, but there’s a good chance I will not be getting my parcel, so… I don’t know. I might not wear anything to mourning it.
Awh :(
Keeping my paws crossed so that the parcel arrives!
Don't you have a runner up iris or a sample of Iris Silver Mist so you could still participate just in case?

metanoia

Oct 7, 2021
Awh :(
Keeping my paws crossed so that the parcel arrives!
Don't you have a runner up iris or a sample of Iris Silver Mist so you could still participate just in case?
Plenty of irises, but not this one, not even a drop. I have spent the day at home waiting for the delivery guy, spoke to him twice on the phone and the little #%^!}*\~<#>*<? Didn’t show, but he also filled in the status as undelivered because he was “unable to get in touch”. So normally this means they return the parcel to the sender… I will phone tomorrow morning, but tonight…. If it starts raining frogs somewhere, you know why.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Plenty of irises, but not this one, not even a drop. I have spent the day at home waiting for the delivery guy, spoke to him twice on the phone and the little #%^!}*\~<#>*<? Didn’t show, but he also filled in the status as undelivered because he was “unable to get in touch”. So normally this means they return the parcel to the sender… I will phone tomorrow morning, but tonight…. If it starts raining frogs somewhere, you know why.
Argh, how much I hate all these "unable to get in touch" when you were sitting at the door all day!
Hopefully you can get it sorted tomorrow!

teardrop

Basenotes Institution
Sep 1, 2010
Like so many others here, l have several favourite notes, but my choices are limited this week by the high temperatures here, & there are certain things l just can't wear in the heat. l'm probably best known for my love of white florals, especially the tropical kind, so l think l'll be going with Aloha Tiare by Comptoir Sud Pacifique, which has a lime note to freshen up the florals. :)

metanoia

Oct 7, 2021
There’s so many notes I love. When I enrolled in art history, way back in a past life, a family member asked me what my favourite painting was and all I could say that I didn’t have one. If I had had a favourite painting, I would have bought a life size reproduction and be done with it. But if you love too many, then you become an art historian. (I did not in the end, but that’s besides the point.) Just like when you love a note/ perfume, you buy a big bottle and the lotion, but when you love too many notes, too many perfumes you join Basenotes.

Favourites:
Iris
Suede
Leather
Violet
Cinnamon
Lime
Patchouli
Hay
Tobacco
Tea
Sandalwood

Ok, that’s enough. Syncing with Eau d'Hermes while I wait for the delivery guys to sort their ish out, so there will hopefully be some serious irises in the afternoon.

Good morning to all!

Perfumania - America's Leading Perfumery Chain!

Latest News

. .