Synchronized Fridays 2022

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Tried to at least partly be in sync with the Mukhalat by Abdul Samad al Qurashi (either so far unlisted or listed under a different name in the database so far) - one of the not only incense and myrrh laden, but also most opulent, lush, rich textured scents do currently own

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
I have many frankincense, myrrh, and even some gold options. I was tempted to join Puma with a spray or two of my Parfum Sacre EDP because I love it and I don’t think I’ve worn it lately.

But I decided to make the effort of applying one of my Sultan Pasha samples, specifically, Âme Sombre Grade 1 (2015). Get out the box, locate a knitting needle/applicator, consult the numbered list, pry open the correct vial…

A pinpoint or two of this gorgeous attar, and I’ve been wafting clouds of church incense for hours 😇

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
I chose Kyphi from Imginary Authors Olympic Orchids from my Christmas sample gifts to try for the first time today.

This smells of frankincense and myrrh and bee hives - the honey and wax, not pollen, and dark fruit leather and a clear cardamon. This wears fairly close to my body, and smelling close there is a lifting quality to the incense - like a fizziness. I think the weight of the incense is managed very well throughout. Although this evokes ancients blends, it does not feel musty in any way. There are a bunch of big notes here especially at the top and middle but they take turns rising and sinking in a gentle way back into the chorus. Or maybe that is just my greedy nose trying to multitask and getting hyper focused on this or that note. Farther in there are fresh, breathy, and subtle foody qualities that keeps it in the land of the living. Cooler spices mix with cinnamon. I wish I had it in some more solid form or oil so I could apply it by anointing. This is a perfect gift for our three wise men.

I’m really liking Imaginary Authors Olympic Orchids so far. Not sure about longevity for Kyphi yet. Going to need to try on well moisturized skin.

OOPS! I am also liking Imaginary Authors, but keep typing them instead of Olympic Orchids!!
Been curious about Kyphi for a long time! Love Ellen Covey’s work!

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Puma and Cook.bot, sittin' in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g.....

Parfum Sacré EDP by Caron

ParfumSacreEDP_fan1.jpg

l admit l'm still not entirely sure what myrrh smells like on its own

I was thinking the same thing! I had to drag out several bottles for sniff comparisons to try to single out the note. I think I still get it confused with some other resins.

Other sample gifts I’ll be trying in the new year
Olympic Orchids -Dev 2, Salamanca, Night Flyer, Blackbird, Woodcut, Olympic Rainforest

I was just browsing the Olympic website last night. That stuff is much more $$$$ than I expected! Even the sample sets were like $140 for 15mls total.

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
I didn't receive any perfume this year from others, but I did buy a vintage bottle of 24, Faubourg back in November as a kind of xmas gift to moiself. It's coming from overseas and was supposed to be here by last week, but is unfortunately still MIA. It would have been great for today's sync - a very oplulent scent, especially in vintage formulation, and the bottle has a lovely gilded look too.

Do gold bottles count? If so I think as a standby I'll go with an old fall/winter favorite, Prada Infusion d'Iris Absolue. It's one of my favorite bottles of all time - understated but gorgeous. Happy Friday all!

prada.jpg

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
I was just browsing the Olympic website last night. That stuff is much more $$$$ than I expected! Even the sample sets were like $140 for 15mls total.

Cook.bot, did you click round the world international shipping or something? I see sample sets of six 3 ml sprayers for $29-$42 here...

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Cook.bot, did you click round the world international shipping or something? I see sample sets of six 3 ml sprayers for $29-$42 here...

Oh, wow... I think I got my window shopping sites mixed up. It was House of Matriarch that I was looking at! I must have gotten them confused because of their connection through the "Blackbird" fragrance.

Thanks for setting me straight! Those Olympic sample sets look like a tremendous bargain, actually.

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
My mid afternoon scent was Miss Dior Rose N Roses, I had never tried this before receiving this as a gift. There seems to be mixed reviews on this one. I think people that are expecting a lot of traditional "full on" rose would be disappointed in Miss Dior Rose N Roses, since I already have that covered I really like this perfume. It reads more rosy floral to me than just rose and I think it is a very good modern floral with hints of old Dior, too. Overall, a very enjoyable 'light enough for summer' floral scent that smells very good in dry heat and it is different enough to my other perfumes to fit in my perfume wardrobe without competing with others for wear time.

For the evening, I went back to Dolce Vita as I loved wearing it in the morning! My husband loved that I was wearing it, too. I also realised that it fit the gold theme as well - the bottle has some gold on it.:)

Jun 2, 2018
Hoo boy I'm a little late to this party but I'm syncing this evening with Baume du Doge by Eau d'Italie. It has both frankincense and myrrh listed in the heart notes. I don't know much about what those two things smell like on their own but I've been enjoying this sample. There's something that reads as a little smoky that balances out the sweetness and something like spices in the background.

I'm loving reading about what everyone chose!

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
Oh, wow... I think I got my window shopping sites mixed up. It was House of Matriarch that I was looking at! I must have gotten them confused because of their connection through the "Blackbird" fragrance.

Thanks for setting me straight! Those Olympic sample sets look like a tremendous bargain, actually.
Yeah, I got Olympic Orchids ten sample set for $25 at Christmas. Going to go back and get the remaining ones I didn’t get in my stocking. The price on her perfumes puts these within reach, and she is a local girl.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
I’ve switched over to Rogue Ishtar now (Kotori twin!) for the evening after wearing Olympic Orchids Kyphi earlier today and I’m thinking I really should have reversed these two. While Kyphi calms, Ishtar is quite invigorating with a piney floral frankincense - bright and clean at least at the start. I’m getting quite a bit of the benzoin (I guess) as it moves along because the white veil of dessicated incense lays over the sweet warm scalp of a baby - damp vanilla skin. So now I definitely can think of this as the fragrance of the Epiphany.

There is some complication with the fragrance name though, with Ishtar being the pagan non-mother goddess who got offerings of incense, and Mary mother of Jesus also bearing the same title as Ishtar - Queen of Heaven. It is all a very interesting mess. What fun that a sync can make my brain run around like this!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I’ve switched over to Rogue Ishtar now (Kotori twin!) for the evening after wearing Olympic Orchids Kyphi earlier today and I’m thinking I really should have reversed these two. While Kyphi calms, Ishtar is quite invigorating with a piney floral frankincense - bright and clean at least at the start. I’m getting quite a bit of the benzoin (I guess) as it moves along because the white veil of dessicated incense lays over the sweet warm scalp of a baby - damp vanilla skin. So now I definitely can think of this as the fragrance of the Epiphany.

There is some complication with the fragrance name though, with Ishtar being the pagan non-mother goddess who got offerings of incense, and Mary mother of Jesus also bearing the same title as Ishtar - Queen of Heaven. It is all a very interesting mess. What fun that a sync can make my brain run around like this!
Maybe I will pull out my Ishtar decant as well. How about a live sampling?

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
Sync related only because we’ve been talking about frankincense and myrrh and there was some discussion about their unique qualities.
Here’s a brief description from Eden Botanicals of a couple different ones they have:

Myrrh Aromatic Profile: Soft, warm, sweet-smelling, earthy aroma with a light, spicy, slightly medicinal top note with lift; has very good fixative properties.

Frankincense Aromatic Profile: Dry, diffusive, and bright citrus top notes over a penetrating, resinous/coniferous, slightly peppery and balsamic undertone. Excellent fixative properties.

Frankincense is pretty identifiable to me but myrrh not so much, so I’m going to be buying some myrrh EO so I can figure that out.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
@Earlyn, l note that that description of myrrh includes the word "spicy", & l'm wondering if what l perceive as spices is actually the myrrh in Bengale Rouge? Especially as no spice notes are listed. Hmm, l might have to explore this note further myself...;)
You should! Myrrh smells amazing. While frankincense is just an intrinsically beautiful and pleasurable smell, IMHO, one that is bright, aromatic, and uplifing, myrrh is somber and haunting. It has a slight sweetness but I wouldn’t call it spicy. It’s not warm or hot spiced for sure.

These are my subjective impressions from sniffing the natural materials over the years. When one of these is listed in a perfume’s notes, all bets are off because the composition may go in an entirely different direction.

ClaireV has a terrific post on myrrh on her blog

teardrop

Sep 1, 2010
@grayspoole, thanks for posting that article! l've only skimmed through it so far, but interestingly it mentions a number of perfumes that l've tried, owned and/or loved: Eau d'lparie, Alien Essence Absolue, Messe de Minuit, 1000 Kisses & Parfum Sacre. l'll have to take some time later to revisit my reviews & see if l can figure out where myrrh fits in to each of these.

lnterestingly, Claire mentions the cola or root beer aspects of myrrh a few times here, & l think l can see where that fits into Bengale Rouge, at least. Lots to ponder! :)

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
@grayspoole, thanks for posting that article! l've only skimmed through it so far, but interestingly it mentions a number of perfumes that l've tried, owned and/or loved: Eau d'lparie, Alien Essence Absolue, Messe de Minuit, 1000 Kisses & Parfum Sacre. l'll have to take some time later to revisit my reviews & see if l can figure out where myrrh fits in to each of these.

lnterestingly, Claire mentions the cola or root beer aspects of myrrh a few times here, & l think l can see where that fits into Bengale Rouge, at least. Lots to ponder! :)
Exploring notes and ingredients can be SO much fun! Without going too deep into the weeds (or myrrh), there are distinct differences between myrrh and “sweet myrrh” or opoponax, which is Commiphora glabrescens, a tree botanically related to C. myrrha. And then I’ve had a fragrant “myrrh” bead necklace for decades that I just recently figured out is made from the resin from the Detarium microcarpum plant, and not Commiphora myrrha.

I think a lot of perfumes with “ myrrh” in the published notes seem to be inspired more by opoponax than myrrh.

As always, my favorite source for natural samples is Eden Botanicals, which has myrrh, opoponax, and many other delightfully fragrant things.

knit at nite

Sep 5, 2009
Syncing late, as I spent yesterday with some perfume phobic folks. I subtly wore the very gentle & clean Iperborea by Lorenzo Villoresi, which worked out great.
Today I'm rocking a perfume oil called Berber that I picked up on the Greek island of Lesvos on one arm, and Avon's Rare Gold on the other.

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
I went with Jubilation XXV for the first sync of the year.

amouage-jubilation-XXV-for-man-perfume-sample-vial-decant-sprayer_grande.jpg

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
Pardon me, I’ll move on from myrrh in a sec-
@Earlyn, l note that that description of myrrh includes the word "spicy", & l'm wondering if what l perceive as spices is actually the myrrh in Bengale Rouge? Especially as no spice notes are listed. Hmm, l might have to explore this note further myself...;)

lnterestingly, Claire mentions the cola or root beer aspects of myrrh a few times here, & l think l can see where that fits into Bengale Rouge, at least. Lots to ponder!
The spicy and medicinal qualities seem like that could be a cola or root beer effect. Claire also mentions anise and rubber, as in latex. I keep running into a persistent mildly sweet sarsaparilla and anise/fennel-like smell at the deep base of some vintages and I was thinking it was ambergris, but now I’m going to need to see if that might be myrrh. Evidently a rootbeer float thing can happen when myrrh is near vanilla or amber.
ClaireV has a terrific post on myrrh on her blog

As always, my favorite source for natural samples is Eden Botanicals, which has myrrh, opoponax, and many other delightfully fragrant things.

Exploring notes and ingredients can be SO much fun! Without going too deep into the weeds (or myrrh), there are distinct differences between myrrh and “sweet myrrh” or opoponax, which is Commiphora glabrescens, a tree botanically related to C. myrrha. And then I’ve had a fragrant “myrrh” bead necklace for decades that I just recently figured out is made from the resin from the Detarium microcarpum plant, and not Commiphora myrrha.

I think a lot of perfumes with “ myrrh” in the published notes seem to be inspired more by opoponax than myrrh.

Thank you for the link to the excellent myrrh post and your smelling notes on the material. I am still reading Claire‘s extensive list and will attempt to choose several to explore as they all seem test worthy.
Eden Botanicals currently has a Somalian Myrrh EO which is what I took the Aromatic Profile from, but they also have an Organic C02 that is described as having background notes of cinnamon and leather, and is sweeter in the dry down than the EO and more tenacious.

I dug through my incense box and discovered I have an unopened pouch myrrh tears that I never burned. I always burned copal or frankincense and had pretty much had forgotten about the myrrh! I’m going to crush some myrrh up and tincture it to see what it smells like.

Oh, and @grayspoole, I looked up your Detarium Microcarpum “myrrh“ beads and found a cool site that you probably already know about. Here is a link to page 62 with your beads, but they have so many interesting and fragrant beads on the other pages I thought it might be of general interest too. https://www.botanicalbeads.com/BBB_page_62.html

Latest News