Synchronized Fridays 2022

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I never remember the exact number of Tuesdays in the name and didn't care enough to google it this time :D
Yeah, our perception of this scent seems similar :) Maybe it's that table on which you'd make the pancakes?

Maybe it should've Sunshine and Kitchen Tables or something like Sunshine on a Kitchen Table. Now I'm thinking like Serge Lutens.

ineespenes

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 27, 2006
I feel that Trouble is a bit of an misplaced name on the actual scent. It smells like cosy vanilla with a touch of citrus and maybe peach to me.... Nothing that would suggest trouble, unless you feel that the slight gourmandy, "dessert" feel to it would suggest gaining weight.... Which would indeed be Trouble for me 😬

Apr 8, 2021
Hmm I'll be at a work meeting in Paris on Friday, so it needs to be something I can carry a spray decant of, and something I can wear for work. And it will be fairly warm.
So, possibly:
- Safari - does not smell remotely of an East African savannah (or of wild animals, or jeeps).
- Miss Dior - that would be stealing PStoller's idea.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Might choose one of the few untypical feminine/unisex options currently owned to simply join the sync.
Having actually a vast array of samples and even some full bottles, that range from decent value cheapies by Woods of Windsor, Yves Rocher, Yardley, to a few pricey and more luxurious yet very little stereotypical from houses like Memo, Xerjoff, Parfum d'Empire etc.

Kotori

In my little cloud
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
I may not be syncing tomorrow as I’m really enjoying wearing 1932, but will mention here Youth Dew. It may be glorious but to my nose is neither youthful nor dewy!
Actually 1932 is a great idea! You’d think it would be a mossy Chypre with a name like that, but it isn’t!

tdem1961

I smell something…
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2005
Prada Candy doesn’t smell candy-like at all to me. It’s all benzoin, smells a lot like those little booklets of papier d’armenie.

Paco Rabanne Métal is a soft springy green floral. It does open with some aldehydes but it isn’t sharp or metallic to me at all.

Sonia Rykiel Woman (Not for Men) - kind of a misnomer because despite its sweet, fluffy character, I could see a man wear it if they like things like Jaipur Homme or Habit Rouge.

MistaPanda

Aug 20, 2018
A few options :

1/ I tend to link the word 'black' to dark ; classy ; evening and/or daring scents... but I own two that do not give me that feeling :

Kuroi (Annayake) : Means 'black' in Japanese, the bottle is also black... but to me, it's a fresh, spicy, mass appealing, daytime fragrance.

Noir EDT (Tom Ford) : Really enjoy it... perfect daytime counterpart to Noir EDP (whose name fits perfectly).

2/ Royal Oud (Creed) : Love it, but as many have said, there is little to no oud in this scent.

3/ Power (Kenzo) : I'll probably synch with it tomorrow ! Another one I really like, but it doesn't smell like 'power' to me if it makes any sense... floral, powdery, unisex, gentle, likeable... doesn't smell like 'luxury' either.
It has a good lasting power, but a modest sillage and it's not a "beast mode" fragrance by any means.

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I'm wearing Tiare by Ormonde Jayne because it doesn't smell like tropical flowers which is what I would expect from a perfume named Tiare. There is tiare in it but it is mixed with other florals and citrus with a green mossy base that gives it a clearer chypre feel that is not musty at all. In warm weather it is more citrus up top but in the cooler months it has a wonderfully balanced citrus/floral aroma with the clear green mossy base.

fanny

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 25, 2015
Metallica (Metalys) for a warm spicy, tender floral and even powdery perfume (from decant)

375x500.20814.jpg

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I'm going with Azzaro Wanted, because around here, it's absolutely unwanted. It even took me a while to buy a bottle, and I'm a big fan of it. I had to finish a whole sample, several wears, before I decided I needed it.

The flanker Wanted By Night is much more popular around here - and with my wife, who ALWAYS compliments the By Night flanker. But when the weather gets hot, I start to crave the original.

I will say this much. My wife NOTICES Wanted almost every time I wear it. But when I ask her what she thinks, it's only occasionally positive. She doesn't hate it - but she vastly prefers my Bleu de Chanel EDT.

The critics are split on the original, too. Turin is "not a fan", to put it mildly, but our own VR is rather positive. I have ambivalent feelings about it. There's something about it that just keeps me sniffing.

It's an EXCELLENT MESS of a fragrance! It's not a train wreck, but my nose simply cannot stop staring.

And don't get me started about Wanted Girl. Some other time!

Puma

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 7, 2013
Another warm and sunny day here, so I'm going with
Nuit de Noël by Caron, le parfum, vintage
nuit de noel.jpg
There is nothing about Nuit de Noël that resembles Christmas. I prefer wearing it in warm and sunny weather, as the citruses in the top notes are very long lasting on my skin.

Ernest Daltroff is said to have created this perfume for his muse Félicie Wanpouille. He gave it to her as a present on Christmas 1922.

teardrop

Basenotes Institution
Sep 1, 2010
l've gone with Passage d'Enfer today. To quote from my own review:

This one is quite a surprise. Having expected something funereal, or, from the name alone, something like burning sulphur, l find it's a rather fresh & beautiful breath of spring. The incense has a shimmering quality, with a pronounced green floral note running through it, more like lily of the valley than lilies, to my nose. l get a strong impression of green shoots peeking through the cold, wet earth, & l even smell the stone slabs forming a path between the flower beds.

incense+heliotrope

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 20, 2017
In SOTD Synch today with Rook Perfumes Amber, in which my nose detects no ambery notes, just an overpowering and long-lasting saffron/safraleine note, that suedeish leather sort of thing.

Just applied SOTE Rook Perfumes Suede, which smells of that harsh, smoky burnt meat leather note you get in the likes of Hyde or Lonestar Memories, but more so. No suede I've come across smelt like this.

Juxtapozbliss

Author, Artist & Creative Director
Basenotes Plus
Nov 3, 2016
In SOTD Synch today with Rook Perfumes Amber, in which my nose detects no ambery notes, just an overpowering and long-lasting saffron/safraleine note, that suedeish leather sort of thing.

Just applied SOTE Rook Perfumes Suede, which smells of that harsh, smoky burnt meat leather note you get in the likes of Hyde or Lonestar Memories, but more so. No suede I've come across smelt like this.

Ah, that burnt meat note. I think it's likely that is cade oil. My nose is particularly sensitive to cade, the wood extract that gives many leathers their smokiness. In intense doses, it often comes off like the scent of barbequed meat. You can find it in frags like Noun, Grimoire, and other leather scents. A rep at Luckyscent told me that it's so pronounced in Imaginary Authors' A City On Fire that they sometimes call it Eau de Smoked Ribs. Some people don't have the same reaction.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Trying to join the sync with a sample of Inle by Memo Paris-one of the most uncommonly beautiful niche scents do know.
Achieving an unlikely but successful combination between smooth and yet fresh linden-green tea with more creamy vanilla and classic jasmine florals.
From a personal viewpoint alone, this one seems not fully matched either with its indicated gender-due to being quite unisex/genderless or with its island/holiday like suggestion, unless referring to very exotic and at the same time strangely familiar places actually difficultly achievable in real life or both.

Last edited:

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Just wanted to add that my wife gave my fragrance (Wanted) a huge compliment today! I had just refreshed in another room, and walked by about 8 feet away. She caught the sillage and went gaga, demanding to know what it was.

So maybe I was wrong! Maybe it really is "wanted"! 😉

Latest News