Synchronized Fridays 2022

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I'm pulling these out of thin air as I'm typing:

-Renaming a fragrance with a cooler, more interesting name.

-Choose an artwork/picture that best represents that scent you are wearing.

-Choose a fragrance that you would recommend to your (former) newbie self, a scent that you should've sought out on day one on your fragrance journey.

-Blind sample review - Spontaneously review a scent that you've never tried or researched including notes. Describe from start to finish how the scent develops out and notes that you think you've detected.

-Most beautiful names for an existing fragrance - bottles/samples that you own.

-A fragrance that looks unattractive by name or by bottle/box presentation that smells great to you.

Last edited:

teardrop

Sep 1, 2010
Fragrance Haikus/Limericks would b

How would a BN Robot synch work? I don't know how to speak to the robot, Grant never taught us that.

You'd have to be a bit more spontaneous for this one l think, & wait to see what the Robot was wearing that day. l'm pretty sure the Robot just hits "pick a random fragrance" anyway, so l don't think he/she plans ahead either. :)

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Here's another one, I thought of it while I was in the shower.

Fragrance Analogy - Chose a scent and create some kind of analogy that describes the feeling of this fragrance. It could be in the form of a humorous fictional story or just a simplistic description of what it's like.

For example Rogue Perfumery Mousse Illuminee - Imagine going through a wilderness that has been raining 40 days and 40 nights straight. As you're walking through the thick mist, ninjas come out with swords fanning out their mossy odor on their gear. You run away as fast as you can and out of nowhere a sloth falls from a tree and covers your eyes so that your blind. You trip over a tree root and fall out into a lake full of tree sap. That's the feeling I get from wearing Mousse Illuminee.

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented.
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Here's another one, I thought of it while I was in the shower.

Fragrance Analogy - Chose a scent and create some kind of analogy that describes the feeling of this fragrance. It could be in the form of a humorous fictional story or just a simplistic description of what it's like.

For example Rogue Perfumery Mousse Illuminee - Imagine going through a wilderness that has been raining 40 days and 40 nights straight. As you're walking through the thick mist, ninjas come out with swords fanning out their mossy odor on their gear. You run away as fast as you can and out of nowhere a sloth falls from a tree and covers your eyes so that your blind. You trip over a tree root and fall out into a lake full of tree sap. That's the feeling I get from wearing Mousse Illuminee.

This post made my day!!!

Juxtapozbliss

Author, Artist & Creative Director
Basenotes Plus
Nov 3, 2016
The sync currently open for ideas, hopefully you can contribute some ideas (y)

I'm not familiar with the sync themes so this may have already been done, but have you done mood syncs? Like choosing a fragrance that matches certain moods: calm, energized, sophisticated, friendly, silly, etc. I could think of different fragrances to match those pretty easily.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
I’m loving all these suggestions coming in!

You'd have to be a bit more spontaneous for this one l think, & wait to see what the Robot was wearing that day. l'm pretty sure the Robot just hits "pick a random fragrance" anyway, so l don't think he/she plans ahead either. :)

Or we could each use our wardrobe button to pick a random fragrance from our collection. Everyone would be guaranteed to have something to wear since it would be coming from their own wardrobe.

On the other hand, I am prone to ignoring the random choice that results or clicking it again many times until it gives me an answer I like or one that is seasonally appropriate. Could be fun though.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I’m loving all these suggestions coming in!

Or we could each use our wardrobe button to pick a random fragrance from our collection. Everyone would be guaranteed to have something to wear since it would be coming from their own wardrobe.

On the other hand, I am prone to ignoring the random choice that results or clicking it again many times until it gives me an answer I like or one that is seasonally appropriate. Could be fun though.

Or we choose to type calligraphy and hope the robot can understand us, like can you feed us pizza?

010101010010101010101010010010101010010101010010101010101010101010101010101010101

Kotori

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
Great ideas, everyone!

I was thinking we could wear our best friend’s perfume (or maybe a family member’s favorite perfume?).

We also did one wear we wore what we learned about from another Basenoter one time. That was cool.

I like the color idea— wear a “red” perfume, for example.

Also, we’ve got a “Never Say Never” thread right now from FiveoaksBouquet and I think that would be a good synch. Wearing something you used to hate, but now you like.

Panned by the guide is certainly a favorite.

What about occasions? Like “wear your favorite perfume to wear out to the theatre”. Or “wear your favorite fragrance to wear to a wedding.”

Or maybe a “smelled on the street” synch where you wear something you smell pretty often where you live or work (or have at least smelled in the wild once)?

Or maybe wear a perfume you received as an unsolicited gift? Like it wasn’t listed on your Christmas list, for example?

Or wear a sample you bought but still haven’t tested?

ComDiva

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 4, 2006
Hi, gang -

I only skimmed here, so apologies if I'm missing anything.

I think I was one of the folks who mentioned "hay" as a note (I love it, so am biased), but what about having a sync (or two) that are: "My personal BN sync day" - Have folks think about what *their own personal* sync day would be (note? House? Style? Location?) , and post for that, with an explanation. That would also give us some ideas for the future if we *do* want to have individual BNers days again later.

I love the syncs that make me think about specific notes, moods, atmospheres. And also those that highlight specific perfumers, because it makes me get better acquainted with the noses - including of fragrances in my collection that I've bought just because I love how it smells. Nice to know who's behind them!

My two cents.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I've been thinking about the theme offered earlier, a seasons challenge. I wore Chanel #22 today and it's a wintry fragrance for me. It would be interesting to discover its different aspects wearing it in the Summer.
Something along the lines of wear something that you would normally wear during the opposite time of the year?

I've done that with a number of scents and it actually made me appreciate a fragrance more (or less). Mona di Orio Vanille was a great example. Before I always thought of it as a fall/winter scent but I decided to wear in spring/summer and I enjoyed it even more and started to wear it exclusively for those months only.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I enjoy everyone's suggestions so far :) I also really enjoyed this year's Classical music/opera theme synch so hope to repeat it for next year :)
If we were to have this again next year maybe we should encourage the sharing of audio of the actual music or video clips the opera, I know we did a little of bit of that. Perhaps a brief discussion about the classical music and opera. Why it was chosen and what does it mean to the individual and the scent? Personally I would like to see a little bit more going into the theme to make it insightful.

ExtremeK

Some of my paths in life are dirt
Basenotes Plus
Jul 5, 2010
I tend to like syncs that give ideas but aren’t either (a) so specific that people find it difficult to participate, or (b) so requirements-filled that it feels like work to participate vs fun.

I love getting to know other Basenoters and why the fragrances they wear (or avoid) speak to them in some way. Sometimes, I’ll revisit a fragrance I dismissed purely on the basis of a trusted BN’er’s opinion. (Hmm. That could be a sync, but I wouldn’t want it to feel clique-ish, especially for new members.)

Anyway…

I like the colors/synaesthesia/texture idea, as well as emotions, zodiac, and haiku/limerick. And Panned by the Guide. I really like the Challenge Challenge, and the “opposite season” wear idea.

What about something along the lines of, “Ususlly, I struggle with [____], but it somehow works when I wear [____].”

purecaramel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 9, 2013
I tend to like syncs that give ideas but aren’t either (a) so specific that people find it difficult to participate, or (b) so requirements-filled that it feels like work to participate vs fun.

I love getting to know other Basenoters and why the fragrances they wear (or avoid) speak to them in some way. Sometimes, I’ll revisit a fragrance I dismissed purely on the basis of a trusted BN’er’s opinion. (Hmm. That could be a sync, but I wouldn’t want it to feel clique-ish, especially for new members.)

Anyway…

I like the colors/synaesthesia/texture idea, as well as emotions, zodiac, and haiku/limerick. And Panned by the Guide. I really like the Challenge Challenge, and the “opposite season” wear idea.

What about something along the lines of, “Ususlly, I struggle with [____], but it somehow works when I wear [____].”
Complexity of challenge involving feelings, thoughts and poetry such as you suggest, may draw in non-linear participants. Has the effect of drawing in people who are inquisitive.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
I was just on the dog and cat pictures 2021 thread looking at Bavard’s trio and imagining what Margo the apricot standard poodle would wear. Something delicious I’d think.

How about we do a scent your pet day?
No reason to limit it to cats and dogs though.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I was just on the dog and cat pictures 2021 thread looking at Bavard’s trio and imagining what Margo the apricot standard poodle would wear. Something delicious I’d think.

How about we do a scent your pet day?
No reason to limit it to cats and dogs though.
Maybe include an animal pose with the scent as a bonus? We did that previously.

Latest News