Synchronized Fridays 2022

Evangeline

Oct 31, 2009
Me too. I was very surprised when my loved one said that this is likely to be the case of mild synesthesia.
Sometimes a name has nothing to do with it for me but sometimes I can see the overlap with something - liquid color, elements of presentation, etc.
I find this so fascinating. My only experience with synesthesia is with the actual smell of things translating to color, and it's obviously not limited to perfumes, it's all odors. Nothing else does it for me, but I can't smell something without seeing what color that smell is (and also seeing/feeling the texture of it, but that's much more difficult to express via a post) regardless of juice color or presentation, though they do overlap sometimes, as you say.

(Edited to add: Actually, that's not entirely true. I sometimes see color and texture when listening to music, and that's usually about a particular voice. Ella Fitzgerald's voice, for instance, is an undulating river of deep chocolate satin.)

Last edited:

Warum

Apr 4, 2010
I find this so fascinating. My only experience with any sort of synesthesia is with the actual smell of things translating to color, and it's obviously not limited to perfumes, it's all odors. Nothing else does it for me, but I can't smell something without seeing what color that smell is (and also seeing/feeling the texture of it, but that's much more difficult to express via a post) regardless of juice color or presentation, though they do overlap sometimes, as you say.
It would be a little presumptuous to say that I know exactly what you mean re:textures but I can say that I do feel the texture(s) of a smell when I smell it. I recently tried to explain it to someone in writing and I felt a little odd doing that but this ended up to be a great conversation!

Evangeline

Oct 31, 2009
It would be a little presumptuous to say that I know exactly what you mean re:textures but I can say that I do feel the texture(s) of a smell when I smell it. I recently tried to explain it to someone in writing and I felt a little odd doing that but this ended up to be a great conversation!
It always seems so obvious, like when something smells "smooth" or "tweedy", but some people don't get the texture thing at all, and others not until you say it at which point it may become a bit more apparent, but not necessarily in the more literal sense as it can feel to us.

I believe that most perfumistas, however, do have at least a touch of synesthesia, which could explain why we obsess about fragrance so much ...it's so much more than simply how it smells.

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
Yeah, see? That's why I did not include the textures though. I think colors is more universally accessible theme.
However, I could definitely have a ton of fun with themes like "a gauze scarf", "a fur coat," "a scratchy wool sweater," "a worn comfy flannel," etc.

I totally relate to this post. I associate many fragrances with fabric textures: linen, cashmere, tweed, etc. I'll be super-excited if we do a Synaesthesia sync! Hopefully, it wouldn't be limited to color.

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I totally relate to this post. I associate many fragrances with fabric textures: linen, cashmere, tweed, etc. I'll be super-excited if we do a Synaesthesia sync! Hopefully, it wouldn't be limited to color.
Yes, I feel textures in fragrances, more than I see colours so I'm also hopefully that the sync would include both colours and textures.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I concur on this.

I couldn't think of a single suggestion for a theme for the 2021 synch that, someone else hadn't mentioned, last year. I can think of houses not used but, other than that, my mind's a blank. I guess I am no help at all. I'll go sit in the corner and think.... o_O
That is unfortunately true. The bulk of the themes that have been used have been recycled between yearly or every other year. I think the reason for this is because it's safe, easy to like, and more participation. I tried to encourage for more novel and innovative ideas from everyone but there's not enough of these suggestions to counter balance the same typical themes that are reused year after year. There was also a lot of requests for very specific themes which made sense, like Panned by the Guide and Synesthysia Day. The receptiveness was a lot worse before I took on the hosting duties.

I don't think it's necessarily cliquish to have a BNer's day. It CAN be but it doesn't have to be.

I found the BNers days feature helpful to become more a part of the forums (and syncs which are challenging for me to participate in) after my long absense. What I think might help the new members is to be given an explicit encouragement to contact the featured BN member and discuss the theme with them. I think that would provide some needed support and establish personal connections between newer members and our more seasoned members.

Oh... and I am vain. I would not turn down a BN day, anonymous or not. And I wouldn't mind new members contacting me to discuss a sync theme. I know many of us wouldn't either - this community shows extreme support for the newcomers and those who come back. I've been the lucky recipient of both and would be happy to pay it forward.

I can also see how some new members might want to have their day in the future as well ;-)

My $.02 worth on the topic of BNers day.

P.S. edited for clarity
I think you will be an excellent candidate.

I've sent out messages (Start Conversation/PMs) to some recent new comers welcoming them to the SOTD threads and encourage them to look at the Sync Friday & Weekend threads. They would be good candidates for having a BN day.

I kind of wish individuals did the same when I first joined so many years ago, that would've made the experience much more welcoming and encouraging early on. I remember it was intimidating and discouraging the first few days and having a few member to welcome me would've made a big difference. I hope I could that with the new members.

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented.
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
I don’t regularly follow the sync, only if it happens to coincide with what I am wearing. It's only because I may not want to change perfume that day. But I do enjoy reading the thread each week. Reading this thread, an idea occurred for a theme and I’ll throw it out here:

Wear a mainstream/designer perfume you think could qualify as niche and tell why.

Robin-in-FL

Jan 18, 2011
Me too, I thought this was extremely natural to experience scents that way. I was very surprised when my loved one said that this is likely to be the case of mild synesthesia and that not everyone else would feel that way.
Sometimes a name has nothing to do with it for me but sometimes I can see the overlap with something - liquid color, elements of presentation, etc.
I too just thought this was normal, but honestly when I ask people they do all say they have this linking, smells have colors and sounds definitely have colors. Like, high pitched noises sound bright light yellow, and I think if light bright yellow was somehow mapped out onto a sound, the vibrations would be high-pitched. Nobody thinks yellow has a deep voice, right?

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I'd like a cheap cheap day, and a mis-named day, like for perfumes you think don't smell at all like the name would indicate.
I love the suggestion of a cheap cheap day!
I also was just thinking about suggesting a wear a cheapie day or wear your most inexpensive scent day, or something along those lines, too!

I think we all talk about luxury brands and expensive, vintage or discontinued scents a lot and that might be overwhelming especially for a newer enthusiast (or anyone with a budget that does not allow too much luxury - including me - but I'm still pretty well off compared to a young student!). I think it's very healthy to remember that great, fun, interesting, cozy, lovely, pretty and memorable scents can come in all price brackets. I'm all for adding a day or two to celebrate our Avons, Oriflames, Zaras, Body Shops, Bath & Body Works, Elizabeth Ardens, Revlons, Britney Spears, Sarah Jessica Parkers, Aquolinas, Jesus del Pozos, Jean Arthes, Pascal Morabitos, 4711s and the like. Not everything they put out is great - I agree - but there are always some worthy gems or just simply nice and refreshing scents worth celebrating.

HouseOfPhlegethon

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2017
Here are my ideas...

A fragrance with Nuit or Noir in its name.

House: One or more of these three: Montale, Mancera or Memo. I call it, the 3 M Day.

A Celebrity Scent - runs along the lines of an above mentioned theme.

A fragrance with a clear bottle and gold or silver cap.

Your newest or oldest purchased scent.

Notes: One or more of these - chestnut, almond, pistachio, pecan, hazelnut, or walnut.

A Cooling scent for a hot day.

Evangeline

Oct 31, 2009
Riffing on your idea, HouseO'Phleg, maybe a celebriscent from a celeb you quite dislike? A Begrudgingly-Loved Celebriscent, if you will.

(I'm editing this idea a bit because I wouldn't want a thread to become a celeb-bashing fest, not that we need to go out of our way to protect the feefees of celebrities, but it could end up being negative in tone, so I'd suggest instead, if people like the idea in general, to make it about a fragrance you didn't expect to like due to the associated celeb, and maybe were reluctant to even try....You made me love you, I didn't want to do it ... 🎶)

Last edited:

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Riffing on your idea, HouseO'Phleg, maybe a celebriscent from a celeb you quite dislike? A Begrudgingly-Loved Celebriscent, if you will.

One problem I'd foresee with that idea is that most Basenoters aren't really the kind of people who buy celebrity scents. (Apart from some devoted fans of Sarah Jessica Parker scents.)

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
One problem I'd foresee with that idea is that most Basenoters aren't really the kind of people who buy celebrity scents. (Apart from some devoted fans of Sarah Jessica Parker scents.)

This is 100% true in my case, so I would have one scent to wear - SJP Stash. But maybe others can use the opportunity to reveal their guilty pleasures? Let the snobs dare to mock them!

Warum

Apr 4, 2010
I love the influx of new ideas! Here are my favorites so far:

Wear a mainstream/designer perfume you think could qualify as niche and tell why.
mis-named day, like for perfumes you think don't smell at all like the name would indicate.
a little known or rarely mentioned perfume from a very well known and highly respected nose?
How about: “This perfume is me!”—and why…
Return to your old signature scent/highschool scent

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
I like a lot of the creative themes suggested so far! Many are similar to ones I was going to suggest. I'll throw out a few more ideas:

- wear the most masculine or most feminine scent you own
- wear your most complimented or un-complimented scent
- wear a scent you consider very modern, experimental or avant-garde
- wear a 'date night' fragrance
- wear a fragrance strongly focused on one material
- wear a reformulated/re-issued fragrance where you think the current version is quite good - maybe even better than the old one

Some ideas for the location syncs:
- circus, fair or amusement park
- barnyard or stable
- wedding (I like the broad cultural and regional variations there are with this one)

Quarry also had the idea a while back that we all try to sync our fragrance with the fragrance the BN Robot is wearing that day.

If we are going to continue the BN-er day syncs, I would like to nominate Earlyn and CuddleCat, if they haven't had a sync day yet. Both are regular participants in the Friday syncs.

HouseOfPhlegethon

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2017
This is 100% true in my case, so I would have one scent to wear - SJP Stash. But maybe others can use the opportunity to reveal their guilty pleasures? Let the snobs dare to mock them!
Well I, for one, have only decants of celeb scents, except for some vintage Elizabeth Taylor scents. However, we could alos include scents that were endorsed by famous people. Like, say, Julia Roberts for La vie est Belle or Charlize Theron, for Jadore or Natalie Portman for Miss dior, etc., etc...

Evangeline

Oct 31, 2009

Potential snarky fun, but not good for Sync turnout.

Of course you're all right - how silly of me! I've got several celebrity scents, but none that I'm ashamed of. I wouldn't even be able to join in this ill-conceived notion of a sync. 😏

Well I, for one, have only decants of celeb scents, except for some vintage Elizabeth Taylor scents. However, we could alos include scents that were endorsed by famous people. Like, say, Julia Roberts for La vie est Belle or Charlize Theron, for Jadore or Natalie Portman for Miss dior, etc., etc...
Here ya go. Favorite fragrances fronted by annoying celebs is a much better approach to this idea, and much more inclusive, I'd imagine.

RHM

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 18, 2005
How about:
  1. a fragrance you shouldn't wear to work but you wear it anyway
  2. A fragrance you've smelled on your pet(s). (My cats smell like Chamade in the Spring when I wear it the most.)
  3. Fragrances that smell better on your significant other than they do on you
  4. Fragrances you can't smell on yourself

RHM

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 18, 2005
Colors could be a simple theme for everyone to follow. One could simply use the color of the juice/box/other elements of presentation or use the actual synethesia (I am one of those who often "sees" scents in colors, very vividly).

Me too, I thought this was extremely natural to experience scents that way. I was very surprised when my loved one said that this is likely to be the case of mild synesthesia and that not everyone else would feel that way.

I'm very happy that I am not alone in this! It has nothing to do with the color of the jus, the bottle or the packaging.

Latest News