Synchronized Fridays 2022

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I don’t have any strong seasonal associations with fragrances, but I’ll make up an improbable rationale for whatever comes up in the sample queue tomorrow.

The sample queue brought forth State of Mind - Secret of Success. If you’ve read What Did You Try Today, then my state of mind is no secret, and you know the fragrance was no success, regardless of season. Out of sync, if not down the sink.

This, however, is a bit springier:

7FC5C18E-9685-4E12-8EA6-7E9B983ED48D.jpeg

Balmain - Vent Vert

A green alternative to tonight’s Santa Ana winds.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Decided to sneak in one more - Guerlain L'Homme Ideal Cologne, which is really more of a "pseudo-cologne" EDT. It gives off an excellent "cooling" cologne vibe for ages. Spray on 3 or 4 sprays and it smells like you did 10-15 sprays of a Guerlain cologne.

A great summer scent - IMO one of the best flankers in this line.

Guerlain_LHomme_Ideal_Cologne.png

naylor

Basenotes Institution
Oct 24, 2011
I wore Roja Dove Elyisum earlier today, for the summer-vibe sync.
990659690.jpg

Kotori

In my little cloud
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
My evening scent was Shalimar Cologne by Guerlain. More citrusy up top, more floral notes (if you keep your bottle in fridge during summer) and a much lighter drydown when compared to the EDP and EDT. Bought this Shalimar version because I wanted a Shalimar that I would be comfortable wearing in summer. So far, I'm really enjoying this perfume during our summer months but I wouldn't wear this during an extreme heat heatwave. Other parts of Australia get constant heat all through summer with very warm nights but here in Victoria we get very bad extreme heatwaves (my brother lives in Queensland with constant heat and humidity but our Victoria heatwaves really knock him when he is visiting) but in between, we have perfect summer temps with mild nights.
Yes, I really enjoy Shalimar Cologne for Spring and Summer here in the American South. Though—you’re correct— it’s best to avoid during a true heat wave, as with any Amber-forward, “oriental” or gourmand.

For those of you whose climate doesn’t get too hot, what happens to amber-forward, spicy, or gourmand fragrances in the heat is that they really and truly sing in it. They sing so loud that one’s fragrance can be detected 20 feet away outdoors with a slight downwind breeze, even with only one spray. And then, if one is outside for a long period, it can turn. Ambery-spicies often will turn stinky, especially if there’s any cardamom, cumin, patchouli, or real musk. Gourmands will often turn into sour milk. Like that sweetened condensed stuff in the can. Or American milk chocolate. So this is why we hot climate dwellers need lighter versions of such things for our summers.

donna255

Basenotes Institution
Jul 16, 2004
I don't think I will be joining this week?

I don't think about notes I want to explore or houses. For me, it is just try and like or dislike, I don't set out on a journey.

justfoxie

You smell nice
Basenotes Plus
Oct 23, 2018
Well my theme for the year is "explore" and I'm headed off on holiday on Friday, so that's a fun synergy. Maybe grab a bottle that I've not worn recently or is showing as having 0 wears in my wardrobe. I missed a trick not wearing Angel in memory of Thierry Mugler on Monday so maybe that should be my choice? Or maybe I choose something random from duty free to wear?

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Don't get hung on the "resolution" part of the sentence too much! It's here only as a flavour text.

The point here is to wear the notes or styles or whatever that you feel particularly drawn to or interested right now - and I'm sure everyone can think of something that fits the theme, as it's just another way of saying - what are you craving or feel drawn to right now - either speaking of short term or long term?

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
And I will be, most likely, continuing to explore "white florals/summer fragrances in January" theme.
Jasmine in January was my favorite take on this, but I haven't tried Gardenia and Tuberose. Maybe. Or I'll stick with jasmine, you will know soon ;)

I'm warming up to the idea of doing a white flower spree soon. I love white flowers in the winter. Always have. 🤍🕊️🦢

Warum

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 4, 2010
I'm warming up to the idea of doing a white flower spree soon. I love white flowers in the winter. Always have. 🤍🕊️🦢
That's wonderful! The idea of white flowers in Winter was not completely new to me but it was mostly lilies that I wore in January. I used to think of Chanel No.22 and Un Lys as exclusively Winter fragrances for me but that too had passed - hey, Chanel No. 22 is just as gorgeous any time of the year except, maybe, extreme heat!

This year though the idea "jasmine in January" got completely stuck in my mind plus the Summer fragrance sync last week, feels like a total revival.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I really feel Trilby Lark's recent obsession with everything purple - I don't feel the same way about the colour itself, but I definitely feel drawn to lavender and iris - and, on a smaller scale, violet, too - for quite some time now, and that calling only grows.

(and I have always liked various berry notes in fragrances - blueberries, blackberries, plums - which can be argued as feeling quite purple, too)

So I really started 2022 with the feeling that I want to explore these notes more and wear and maybe acquire more scents with prominent lavender and iris - and I have already brought some bottles or samples home. I don't feel the need to buy more though - I have plenty of stuff already - but I feel like noticing these notes in fragrances more and wanting to wear them more often for their soothing, mending, calming, relaxing effect they are having to my mind.

I'm starting today with Jersey EDP by Chanel for the lavender.

This is for me and for @Trilby Lark - and for all of you who are feeling drawn to purple fragrances right now.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I really feel Trilby Lark's recent obsession with everything purple - I don't feel the same way about the colour itself, but I definitely feel drawn to lavender and iris - and, on a smaller scale, violet, too - for quite some time now, and that calling only grows.

So I really started 2022 with the feeling that I want to explore these notes more and wear and maybe acquire more scents with prominent lavender and iris - and I have already brought some bottles or samples home. I don't feel the need to buy more though - I have plenty of stuff already - but I feel like noticing these notes in fragrances more and wanting to wear them more often for their soothing, mending, calming, relaxing effect they are having to my mind.

Iris gets a strong like from me. I think I could consider lavender, I did explore this note when venturing through a number of barbershop scents.

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013

(and I have always liked various berry notes in fragrances - blueberries, blackberries, plums - which can be argued as feeling quite purple, too)

This is for me and for @Trilby Lark - and for all of you who are feeling drawn to purple fragrances right now.

OMG ClockworkAlice! Seriously, that video reflects how I feel about wearing purple right now. Exuberant! 💜✨💜✨💜

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Since my overall aim in 2022 was to wear, review and finish samples, I'll see what strikes me tomorrow.
In the shorter-term, I should decide whether to move from decant to FB on a couple of scents.
Ditto! I have a container of samples labeled “USU”, our household shorthand for “Use Shit Up” (before buying more).

It is a bit of a mantra, and my fragrance hobby is a glaring exception to the USU frame of mind.

So, I’m trying to apply to same logic to fragrances and samples this year. Will endeavor to finish a sample from the USU bin tomorrow.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
There are lots of things my scattered brain is interested in doing with fragrance this year, but I’ve recently realized I’ve wanted to explore vintage to kind of modern Rochas more fully.

I just had a first wear of Byzance that was very good. Over last summer I became a big fan of Eau de Roche And look forward to wearing it again when things warm up.
Rochas is not heavily represented in my collection - vintages of Femme EDC & extrait, Tocade, Byzance, Eau de Roche, and a sample of Madame Rochas.
Vintage Femme EDC, which is what I am wearing today, is a love.

Soon I will add Rochas Man, and I have a small bottle of Globe on its way.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I'll be continuing on with my latest obsession with 'purple' fragrances.
Purple is Dr. T.’s favorite color—so much so that I bought her a purple car as a graduation present. One of her new favorite perfumes is Maison Violet’s Pourpre d’Automne, which at least in name is about as purple as it gets. Highly recommended for the purple-fragrance-obsessed.

Latest News