Synchronized Fridays 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

MistaPanda

Aug 20, 2018
A fragrance that immediately made me think of a candle is Tabac Rouge by Phaedon... but I've used the sample and I didn't buy a bottle when there was an opportunity a couple months ago.

Not really a candle, but I find the incense in Comme des Garçons - Kyoto very cozy, I definitely can see myself relaxing in a couch, listening to music with both incense & Kyoto lingering around ^^

As for a more candle-ish feeling (or a scent I'd like to have as a candle)... there are probably a few options in my collection. Something rich, with some smokiness, and a bit sweet 🙂

Chergui (Serge Lutens)
Fille en Aiguilles (Serge Lutens)
Plum Japonais (Tom Ford)
Woody Mood (Olfactive Studio)
By the fireplace (Margiela)
07 Tanoke (Odin NY)
Eau des Baux (L'Occitane)

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Another setup I'm going to later is Chanel Egoiste and B&BW Candle Merry Mistletoe. Both have spices in their scent notes which I think will complement each other nicely.
375x500.613.jpg

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I pre-synced last night with By the Fireplace by Maison Margiela. It's smoky woods with vanilla, a little marshmallow sweetness and a hint of chestnut.

Today, I'm wearing Volutes by Diptyque which is the first fragrance I thought of for this week's sync. It has an overall softness to the scent and there is a little bit of several aromas in it - smoky, spicy, sweet & powdery. It feels warm and comforting but it also has a refined and sophisticated vibe to it as well. Similar qualities that I look for in home fragrance aromas especially for the cooler seasons (autumn and winter). Of course, I look for different qualities in my home fragrance during the warmer times of the year. I might see if I can come up with another perfume for evening that is more representative of what qualities I like and enjoy in my summer home fragrance scents.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Pre-synced in Comme des Garcons Avignon. This was a blind buy, though I’ve tried a lot of related CdG scents and had a good idea what it would smell like. Intensely churchy incense - smoky, dry frankincense and myrrh, chamomile, and heaps of cedar. It’s mostly a swirl of dry incense, but it gives off the aura of a candlelit cathedral.

FiveoaksBouquet

Known to SAs
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Time to don my candle scent and it really is a candle! Some time ago I rediscovered a lost perfume of my yourh, an amber-scented deodorant spray called Etiquette. Unfortunately, it was in the form of a candle called Bosco and, of course, the candle was discontinued. I bought all the store had and, as they burned down, I kept the leftover wax to sniff occasionally.

Yesterday, I really wanted to wear that scent for the sync so I melted some of the wax and added some castor oil and poured it into a small Victorian boudoir pot as a cream perfume, and that’s what I’m wearing.

Initials engraved on the lid are “MR” so let’s just call this perfume

Mysterious Revival
F4EFB0E9-0C8F-4510-90AA-D284231D0738.jpeg

(Sorry, it’s not in the Directory. ;))

ineespenes

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 27, 2006
I came to think about that I recently bought 2 scented candles by D. S Durga. The one has notes of Figes and insence. The other more gourmandy with notes of vanilla (or amber), pipetobacco, leather and aparantly books. The first reminds me of my sample of Philosykos and the other one perhaps Eau duelle. I have the edp. The Philosykos is edt.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Time to don my candle scent and it really is a candle! Some time ago I rediscovered a lost perfume of my yourh, an amber-scented deodorant spray called Etiquette. Unfortunately, it was in the form of a candle called Bosco and, of course, the candle was discontinued. I bought all the store had and, as they burned down, I kept the leftover wax to sniff occasionally.

Yesterday, I really wanted to wear that scent for the sync so I melted some of the wax and added some castor oil and poured it into a small Victorian boudoir pot as a cream perfume, and that’s what I’m wearing.

Initials engraved on the lid are “MR” so let’s just call this perfume

Mysterious Revival
View attachment 313760

(Sorry, it’s not in the Directory. ;))
Fiveoaks, WOW!
I think you win this synch. I don't think there's a way to top you here!

(Not that this synch is about winning, it's all about the joy of the process, we can be as creative and immersed or as laid back and casual as we want. But the credit must be given where it's due!)

But wow! You made your nostalgia scent - from a candle - to a perfume! Now that's some creativity!

Your Mysterious Revival packaging is top notch, too. I am amazed!

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I love everyone's ambery, vanillic, spicy, smoky and candle-y choices!
This seems like a cozy synch.

I am wearing one of the coziest scents in my wardrobe - Van Cleef & Arpels Orchidée Vanille. It's a sweet and cuddly vanilla with chocolaty facets in the drydown and a hint of mandarin in the opening. It's just so yummy and cozy to me. It's been quite a journey for me with this scent, because the first times when I tried it in the store I could not smell it at all, only the faintest scent if I'm lucky. (I was vigorously testing all the VC&A scents and my first love was Bois Doré, then slowly others joined my scented harem). Then later I bought a bunch of VC&A samples so that I could get to know them better without marching to the store everyday, and I grabbed Orchidée Vanille too just in case. And I could smell it, and I fell in love! Then I still had to run back to the store to test if I do smell the store's tester now, too. I did. Then I just had to find it discounted. :)
I'm really craving it right now, so I'm wearing it.

I also just lit up a small candle near my keyboard - it's Far Away candle by Avon. Sweet, slightly ambery-vanillic. The scent feels more simplistic than deep (I haven't tried the perfume so cannot compare) but it's cozy. Burns evenly and does not tunnel which is nice.

JoM68

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 17, 2022
I was toying with Osten's Impression Cashmeran Velvet, as they also have a candle with that scent, but then I recently received a sample of By the Fireplace by Maison Margiela, so went with that instead. The name conjures a scene of cuddling up with a nice drink, roasted chestnuts, listening to the crackling fire and watching the flames of the candles flicker across the room, whilst a full moon rises on a cold, clear sky and frost sparkles in the silvery light outside. The opening of chestnuts, smoke and sweetness is lovely and while this wouldn't be an everyday fragrance for me, I like it.

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
Great idea for a sync! And good timing because this year I unexpectedly got into having a few candles in the house. I might take a literal route and wear either Eau Noire or Musc later today, having matching candles for both.

The black one is from La Curie and she also makes this same scent in incense cones, which I discovered first. I wish she'd make it into a perfume too because it smells awesome - kind of leathery/cedar-y/dark rose-y.

IMG_1178.jpg

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
so I melted some of the wax and added some castor oil and poured it into a small Victorian boudoir pot as a cream perfume, and that’s what I’m wearing.

Extra bonus points to FiveOaks for giving it 120% !

I don't burn candles because I'm paranoid about it after having two friends who had house fires caused by them, so I don't have any personal references. And I had to go to the sample drawers to find something that seemed to have the ambience of a candle scent -- cozy spicy warmth. Aziyade by Parfum d'Empire.

The core of this is much too orientalish/resinous to appeal to me for wearing, but the beginning is superb, citrus plus fleshy cumin that then melts into a kaleidoscope of Persian spices and dried fruits. If I could have that opening as incense, I'd burn it all the time.

3f257c775e3fad5d8ef07dcdc747b1c5--the-persians-far-away.jpg

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Leaning into the candle theme, I dug out my sample for Comme des Garcon’s 2 Man EDT, which has a “white smoke” / “snuffed candle” accord. It takes an otherwise ethereal woody/vetiver scent into much stranger territory.

Notes include smoke, nutmeg, cumin, mahogany, saffron, iris, leather, vetiver, and incense, but it’s much lighter than that sounds. Like most CdGs, it’s a stew of airy aromachems bopping around in an upper register - it smells misty and remote rather than grounded or deep - but it works for what it is. The spices aren’t particularly sharp, and it mostly feels like faint woods and incense… laced with something weirder.

What’s bizarre is how the snuffed candle note works on the skin. The smoke is faint, and lashed to this faint fuzzy cumin note that isn’t particularly loud but feels distinctly animalic - like the scent of human skin wet with saliva, or even the faintest touch pissy. It’s weird for sure, but keeps things interesting, and somehow does resemble the waxy smoke of a snuffed candle. It reminds me of walking into a room where someone blew out a candle an hour before - compared to what others are wearing today, it’s not the coziest smell. I think of it as more of an afterglow - the residual trace of someone else’s cozy candlelight experience, now that they’re gone.

comme-des-garcons-2-man-eau-de-toilette-_65001476_3.jpg

ChypreInBloom

Jun 1, 2022
Decided to go with Fille en Aiguilles
Picturing myself in a cabin in the middle of a pine forest... relaxing by the fireplace while a dried fruits scented candle is burning

View attachment 313894

Doesn't look like it, but it's very cozy ! 😄​
Rather looks to me like the forest hideaway of the witch in Hansel and Gretel, if you ask me. Is that the furnace I see through the window? 😉
Seriously, a log cabin with a stove would do the trick for me right now, too.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Wonderful sync theme and congrats for the great syncing choices already so admirably worn (and certainly enjoyed) here.
Considering to join with either something smoky, possibly with a dark-resinous incense theme like Salvador Dali PH or Van Cleef Arpels PH, or alternatively with something gourmand, boozy and/or vanillic in a calmly, richly comforting way, resembling but not limited to Eau des Baux.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
What’s bizarre is how the snuffed candle note works on the skin. The smoke is faint, and lashed to this faint fuzzy cumin note that isn’t particularly loud but feels distinctly animalic - like the scent of human skin wet with saliva, or even the faintest touch pissy. It’s weird for sure, but keeps things interesting, and somehow does resemble the waxy smoke of a snuffed candle.

You make 2Man sound intriguing, and I've never yet met a CdG scent that I liked. That one might be an exception.

Doesn't look like it, but it's very cozy ! 😄

It looks downright haunted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...