Synchronized Fridays 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
@Kotori @tdem1961 @Cook.bot another big fan of Elixir here, a new one for me. I traveled for work a bunch this year and often connected through Munich (huge duty free perfume selection). I sprayed some EdM on everytime I'd go through. I can't remember exactly what the words were but I gravitated towards giving it a try because of various things @Brooks Otterlake and @johngreenink said about it. I'd say it's warm and ambery for sure. Maybe not evocative of winter in my mind, but surely warming during any season.

Warm wintery scents are right up my alley. I'm working from home today, it's cold and windy, so I'll inevitably put on at least three flannels or sweatshirts and spray stuff on the sleeves of each one so I can max out on variety.

So far it's been Kerosene Black Vines and Adbes Salaam Attar Tabac (in spray form). For the evening, thinking of Ambre Narguile and/or Hendley-American Perfumer Bloodline once we get the fireplace going.

IsoESuperman

Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
I'm imagining what the castoff water from your washing machine must smell like....
Last month I had the cap off my septic tank in attempt to visually ballpark its dimensions by peeking inside. I can say confidently that if the gray water is perfumed, it's not perfumed enough.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
More from a sense of duty than of pleasure, I'm syncing in L de Lolita Lempicka, a scent I've probably worn fewer than five times in the eight years I've owned it. Blind bought during a period of Lempicka mania, it's not totally unpleasant to me but is rather disturbingly incoherent -- a cinnamon and citrus gourmand that unfolds to reveal a bowl of miso soup with salty seaweed floating in it. One of Maurice Roucel's kitchen-sinky rich scents (like Musk Ravageur) that I've never been able to wrap my head around. I've already given away his sister creation from the Lempicka/Roucel family, Fleur de Corail, and I probably should try to find a more welcoming home for this one too.

Weird, but could definitely ward off a chill.

eoeur44.jpg

It sounds like it would ward off just about anything! Miso soup? No, just no. 🤢
LOL :D
I have a decant. It's a super lovely cinnamon-buns fragrance with just the tiniest hint of lemon! It's also quite dusty and is a very subtle gourmand - I mean, it's still a proper perfume, just with a hint of pastries, you don't feel like you are wearing actual cupcakes or something.
Definitely no miso soup and no salty seaweed. :D That cracked me up! :D

But then again, me and Cook.bot are taste opposites for a reason 🐡

This fragrance has many fans and is very hard to get now, I'm sure there would be many people who would take it from you happily.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Do y'all really find the Merveilles scents to be wintry and warm? They've all seemed rather beachy to me when I smell them on others.
I'm with you on Merveilles, to me it's a marine scent first and foremost.
Therefore I can't do it neither in summer nor winter,they all just make me so seasick.

However, the Elixir is actually very sticky sweet next to the marine facets, I can see it working in the cold weather. There's also something Christmaslike about it that's hard to pinpoint.

JBHoren

I'm a social vegan. I avoid meet.
Basenotes Plus
Apr 25, 2007
For tomorrow's synch I will either go for Samsara edt or Eau duelle edp.
Both amazing and comforting choices!
Eau Duelle is such a winter scent to me. I'm treasuring my remains of my sample of EDT for Christmas time. Or maybe I should start saving up for a bottle.
OK, I've been going round-and-round in my head about this: which one to buy? (can't/won't buy both) EDT or EDP?

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
OK, I've been going round-and-round in my head about this: which one to buy? (can't/won't buy both) EDT or EDP?
I can't tell you because I have only tried and love Eau Duelle EDT, not EDP.
I heard that EDP is stronger and woodier, and EDT is airier and brighter, but it is yet to be confirmed. Some people complain about woody aromachemicals in EDP, some people praise it as it's richer. Some people prefer EDT and some EDP. EDT is less expensive.
I suggest trying both.

I think I don't even need to try EDP because "airier, brighter and less expensive" is what I usually go for.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
This fragrance has many fans and is very hard to get now, I'm sure there would be many people who would take it from you happily.

I know. I thought about @Kotori and how I was probably ruffling her feathers (bird pun intended) by speaking unflatteringly about her beloved L de LL. Maybe we should work out a swap.

IsoESuperman

Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
I know the EdT better (bottle) than the EdP (decant) but if I'm honest, even during side-by-side wearings, I can't really tell much of a difference. I wear the EdT more just because it's the bottle but I think they both smell fantastic. I'd pick the EdT based solely on price but YMMV.
Therefore I can't do it neither in summer nor winter,they all just make me so seasick.

However, the Elixir is actually very sticky sweet next to the marine facets, I can see it working in the cold weather. There's also something Christmaslike about it that's hard to pinpoint.
I don't really know the line well outside of Elixir but definitely agree there's a Christmassy quality about it. A sparkling amber with some conifer facets.

tdem1961

I smell something…
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2005
Do y'all really find the Merveilles scents to be wintry and warm? They've all seemed rather beachy to me when I smell them on others.
Eau des Merveilles is indeed beachy, iodine-salty and fresh.

Elixir isn’t necessarily a warming blanket like say Opium or Coco etc. But its opening citrus reminds me of good bitter Seville orange marmalade or Cointreau which I’ve always associated with the winter holidays. It’s like aromatherapy for the gloom and chill.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Eau des Merveilles is indeed beachy, iodine-salty and fresh.

Elixir isn’t necessarily a warming blanket like say Opium or Coco etc. But its opening citrus reminds me of good bitter Seville orange marmalade or Cointreau which I’ve always associated with the winter holidays. It’s like aromatherapy for the gloom and chill.

To go from a beachy scent to a wintry Christmas scent seems like a very odd way to evolve a flanker. It seems akin to creating a L'Heure Bleue flanker that's a cheerful citrus cologne.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
To go from a beachy scent to a wintry Christmas scent seems like a very odd way to evolve a flanker. It seems akin to creating a L'Heure Bleue flanker that's a cheerful citrus cologne.
It may sound odd but they're actually complementing each other. They both have this ocean-y and driftwood smell and the citrusy smell, it's just that Eau is stronger on the driftwoody, salty facets and the citrus is bright and cool, and there are these piney notes, too, and Elixir's orange is jammy, slightly syrupy, with hints of chocolate. That makes two very different moods but they both feel like fragrances from the same line.

Now there's also Eau des Merveilles Bleue which is even stronger on the marine facets, L'Ambre which is more ambery-sweet but without the sticky citrus, and L'Ombre which has some tea next to driftwood.
This is one of the rare lines that both fascinate me and repel me at once, so I keep retrying the fragrances.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
I’ve only tried the EDT at a local store, but from my experience with other Diptyque’s I’d say it’s worth hunting down a sample or small decant of both versions before throwing down for a bottle.

The EDT/EDP versions of Tam Dao and Philosykos have a lot of overlap, but they wear very differently. A lot of folks complain about longevity of the EDT’s, but the EDPs often shift proportions around and don’t have the same ethereal quality of the EDTs. (I like both versions of Tam Dao but ultimately preferred the softer EDT, and the lower price was a nice bonus. I also preferred the Philosykos EDT, whereas my mom liked the EDP better.)

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I think it depends if you want the Eau Duelle with more depth, if so go with the EDP. Personally I'd go with the EDT, I started with this one and found it most enjoyable.

I still suggest sampling both to know what they're like.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Chanel - Coromandel

I find the chocolate patch combo warming and very pleasant. Too bad my wife can barely stand it. :/ I would have loved it on her too
Hopefully she can get used to it and learn to like it eventually!
It's a beautiful scent, but it's heavy and could be overwhelming for some. Maybe she would be able to enjoy just a tiny spray of it...

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019

The candied orange in Elixir feels like a Christmas treat. Candied oranges are a very traditional Christmas thing.

Otherwise, I don't think the fragrance itself is especially wintry, but I find the ambergris-like amber too dense for summer (Eau is a delight in Summer, though).

ChypreInBloom

Jun 1, 2022
SOTE: Parfum Sacré from Caron
because it's so warm and spicy, intense and wonderfully soft at the same time, with rose and mimosa, with smooth myrrh and vanilla. Some people find it overwhelming, I think it's just a perfect perfume, perfectly balanced, sexy, tender, a lover's dream, a mother's scent... Strange to say, it is all those things - to me at least. And the original bottle is like an amphora, curvaceous and full of a golden liquid for religious rituals.
1670015782997.png

sakecat

Sep 3, 2022
Accidentally synching this evening with Moresque Oroluna. This is definitely warming. Uncomfortably so.
On me, this is a powerfully spicy (cardamom mostly, but I'm picking up something clovey too) wood scent.
Emphasis on POWERFUL - it's pretty much the only thing I can smell right now.
Right now, this feels like something I "should" like. But there's something not sitting right on my skin.
That, and maybe I wasn't ready to have my nose scrubbed so hard with woods and spices.

Edited to add: 40 minutes later and the dry-down is a much more soothing creamy wood scent. The spices have tamped down enough to add interest, but not overpower. Big fan of this dry down.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Arriving just in time with a first wear of the one for men GOLD EDP Intense by Dolce & Gabbana.

I'm impressed. This stuff smelled great instantly. And it's warming. Where the one for men EDT was a very weak but nice oriental, much like Tom Ford For Men, and that EDP not so weak, this one gets a bit ornate in a decadent, perfumey, soapy, fresh-spicy way. Good stuff!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Chanel - Coromandel

I find the chocolate patch combo warming and very pleasant. Too bad my wife can barely stand it. :/ I would have loved it on her too
I thought about wearing it for the evening but I may wear it tomorrow instead. I would've recommend Iris Ganache that one is white chocolate and iris, unfortunately it got discontinued a long time ago.

Hopefully she can get used to it and learn to like it eventually!
It's a beautiful scent, but it's heavy and could be overwhelming for some. Maybe she would be able to enjoy just a tiny spray of it...
In the EDT, It's quite strong. The patchouli is quite potent

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
Same here, sadly one of the few that have been (or are being) discontinued.

I waited almost two years (2020 and 2021) to finally find a bottle because it was out of stock everywhere.

Edit: I got excited just now when I saw Sushi Imperiale on the Odin website, until I saw it is Sold Out.

Schubertian

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 8, 2021
In the event I went with Amouage Epic woman on Friday night; I went out and didn't want to risk an unknown quantity. Epic is certainly spicy, and also wintery - I only love it in winter, but man it's gorgeous - and it smells amazing on wool sweaters for days afterwards. Its spiciness is not very warm, though. Saturday was a post-sync with warming Tobacco vanille. I thought the tobacco was a bit strong, but today my scarf smells amazing. Today I'm also kind of post-syncing with Quando rapita in estasi by Filippo Sorcinelli. I get why people refer to Opium, but this is not really that similar - it's drier and a bit more masculine if you like. I do like it a lot so far. I felt it go on quite warm initially but it has now cooled, perhaps because of the churchy incense.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
comme-des-garcons-2-man-woda-toaletowa-100-ml-b-iext55482515.jpg
Still-syncing with CdG 2 MAN. One of my warmest, plushest, candle-smokiest scents.
Such a good scent from CdG. I kept the sync alive all day yesterday in a similar vein - first with CdG Black (super smoky, spicy incense + black licorice), then Bentley Absolute (smoldering cedar + frankincense).

Today I went for a completely different “warming” scent - Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum (2017 version). With a candied lemon opening reminiscent of the classic Eau Sauvage EDT, this goes much darker and heavier with the addition of elemi and vetiver, somehow resulting in a rootbeer-like ghost note. I find this unwearably dense in warm weather, but just fantastic on a cold day.

61xxmrcJywL.jpg

Kotori

In my little cloud
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
It may sound odd but they're actually complementing each other. They both have this ocean-y and driftwood smell and the citrusy smell, it's just that Eau is stronger on the driftwoody, salty facets and the citrus is bright and cool, and there are these piney notes, too, and Elixir's orange is jammy, slightly syrupy, with hints of chocolate. That makes two very different moods but they both feel like fragrances from the same line.

Now there's also Eau des Merveilles Bleue which is even stronger on the marine facets, L'Ambre which is more ambery-sweet but without the sticky citrus, and L'Ombre which has some tea next to driftwood.
This is one of the rare lines that both fascinate me and repel me at once, so I keep retrying the fragrances.
I completely agree with this take on the Merveilles line. Eau de Merveilles occasionally reminds me of the Terry’s Chocolate Oranges they sell in the states as stocking stuffers for Christmas.

Kotori

In my little cloud
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
The candied orange in Elixir feels like a Christmas treat. Candied oranges are a very traditional Christmas thing.

Otherwise, I don't think the fragrance itself is especially wintry, but I find the ambergris-like amber too dense for summer (Eau is a delight in Summer, though).
Spot on.

donna255

Basenotes Institution
Jul 16, 2004
This week is interesting. I do burn scented candles, currently Acqua di Parma Panettone Xmas candle. I have 3 Diptyque one of which is from their Xmas collection for 2022, then a Boy Smells Xmas one.

So are we supposed to wear a fragrance that is also available as a candle? Or one that reminds you of one of your candles?

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
This week is interesting. I do burn scented candles, currently Acqua di Parma Panettone Xmas candle. I have 3 Diptyque one of which is from their Xmas collection for 2022, then a Boy Smells Xmas one.

So are we supposed to wear a fragrance that is also available as a candle? Or one that reminds you of one of your candles?
Upcoming Synch Day:
12. 09 – Light A Candle. 🕯️ (Actual candles, waxy/smoky scents or warm & cozy scents to enjoy in the candlelight)

This is a very open-ended synch. Everything and anything goes!
One can participate by choosing:
- A scent that reminds you of a candle because it's a) waxy b) smoky
- A scent that reminds a scented candle, as its scent has this ambient aroma that you think could be used in a scented candle
- yeah, I think wearing a scent that is also available as a candle is an option, too
- A scent that feels like it would be perfect to enjoy in the candlelight (maybe something cozy, cuddly or romantic? Or maybe spooky, witchy or medieval? Imagine an evening in the candlelight, what would you choose to wear and why?)
- or by wearing whatever you please, but participate in the synch by actually burning a candle and telling us about it! What kind of candle it is, how does it smell, how much do you enjoy it, how often do you burn candles at home?
- or by combining any of these things, or thinking up your own ways to synch :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...