Synchronized Fridays 2022

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Hello, dear fragrance enthusiasts, lovers and freaks, and welcome to the Friday Synch!

This is a thread designated for Synch Fridays in upcoming year 2022, and I need your help and your wonderful ideas so that we could all create our fantastic schedule for 2022 – the year of the Tiger.

I will have questions for you in the comment below, and will leave this one for easy editing until we have our list finalized.

Thank you for your patience and participating, and for now – a little song:

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
  • Now, with the upcoming year there are going to be some ch-ch-ch-ch-changes, but there‘s at least one thing I would really like to see unchanged and that is Basenoters‘ days – synch days designated for different people (and they either tell themselves what kind of perfumes are we all wearing on their day or we decide for them). Do you agree with me and do you enjoy them as much as I do? If so, are there any wonderful smelly people that you would like to nominate? Please do.
  • It would be very nice to have some synch days designated to our friends in the Southern hemisphere so that they wouldn‘t feel as left out. Do you have any ideas? (I think I really enjoy our Equinox days; do you enjoy them too or do you want to see them go? If they stay, they‘ll be more flexible and when we‘re celebrating Spring here in the North, there will be an Autumn celebration in the South at the same time)
  • What do you think about house/perfumer synchs and location synchs? Are you a fan of them or are you tired of them and would like to see some change? What would you change them into in this case? I personally would like something different, maybe some synchs designated to different feelings (love, longing, sadness, fury, apathy...) or maybe to different elements (air, water, fire, earth, metal), or maybe, hmm, different signs of Zodiac (well, at least there‘s 12 of them!)? Or maybe something entirely different? Let‘s discuss.
  • I‘m considering to give the November 5th synch to some gunpowder, treason and plot so that our friends from UK could have some fun and just because I was asked nicely.
  • Please share all of your ideas! I‘m sure you‘re full of them. What would you like to see? What would be fun to you and what do you think would be popular and fun to many?

And lastly – what do you think is better – if the Friday Synch host position rotated yearly or bi-yearly? I‘m fine either way, I‘ll just sleep better knowing in advance how long my reign is going to be until we gather again to elect our next Khaleesi.

giphy.gif

Thank you in advance, my smelly friends!

teardrop

Sep 1, 2010
Thanks Clockwork, this is so exciting! 😃

You have some great ideas there. l especially love the ideas of "feelings" & "elements", & "gunpowder, treason & plot" sounds fun! l do think the house/perfumer & location themes have got a bit old. And l think you should stay for as long as we want you to! :LOL:

l already have a couple of ideas:

Quote from your favourite review to describe your SOTD.
Use emojis to name your SOTD, & let others figure out what you're wearing.
Wear the perfume a significant other loves most on you (could be your partner/spouse, best friend, mum, kid, pet, whatever).

l'll have a think about BNers we haven't included yet...

teardrop

Sep 1, 2010
Ok l've gone through my list of BNers who've already had their own synch day (yes, l keep a list! l love lists), & here are some who haven't yet had one:

FiveoaksBouquet
Warum
Evangeline
ExtremeK (how did we miss this?)
C Rose
RHM
Cook.bot, although l believe she previously declined??

l'm too tired right now to think of themes for these members, but perhaps they can think of their own, or others can suggest some?

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
  • Now, with the upcoming year there are going to be some ch-ch-ch-ch-changes, but there‘s at least one thing I would really like to see unchanged and that is Basenoters‘ days – synch days designated for different people (and they either tell themselves what kind of perfumes are we all wearing on their day or we decide for them). Do you agree with me and do you enjoy them as much as I do? If so, are there any wonderful smelly people that you would like to nominate? Please do.
Yes, to keeping Basenoters' day. Some of our newly returned basenoters could have a BN day.
  • It would be very nice to have some synch days designated to our friends in the Southern hemisphere so that they wouldn‘t feel as left out. Do you have any ideas? (I think I really enjoy our Equinox days; do you enjoy them too or do you want to see them go? If they stay, they‘ll be more flexible and when we‘re celebrating Spring here in the North, there will be an Autumn celebration in the South at the same time)
Yes to Equinox Autumn/Spring and Spring/Autumn days, also Solstice Winter/Summer and Summer/Winter days as they are the syncs, I struggle with most with being on the other side of the world!
Christmas in July - We would get to enjoy a Christmas/wintery scent in actual winter and everyone else would get to experience what it is like wearing a Christmas/wintery scent during summer.
Beat the winter blues with a summer holiday scent, sometime in January/February.
  • What do you think about house/perfumer synchs and location synchs? Are you a fan of them or are you tired of them and would like to see some change? What would you change them into in this case? I personally would like something different, maybe some synchs designated to different feelings (love, longing, sadness, fury, apathy...) or maybe to different elements (air, water, fire, earth, metal), or maybe, hmm, different signs of Zodiac (well, at least there‘s 12 of them!)? Or maybe something entirely different? Let‘s discuss.
I agree about these syncs and it would free up the house/perfumer options to be chosen for BN days, if desired! Personally, I'd like more random "have to think a little but not specific perfume genre" themes where it's easier for more members to join in the weekly syncs. I have a smaller perfume wardrobe compared to a lot of other basenoters and sometimes I really struggle to come up with a perfume for the sync. I suppose the different feelings/emotions syncs would fit in with this and maybe the elements, too.
  • I‘m considering to give the November 5th synch to some gunpowder, treason and plot so that our friends from UK could have some fun and just because I was asked nicely.
Yes, to this one!
  • Please share all of your ideas! I‘m sure you‘re full of them. What would you like to see? What would be fun to you and what do you think would be popular and fun to many?
I've mentioned a few above but I'll try to think of more....
And lastly – what do you think is better – if the Friday Synch host position rotated yearly or bi-yearly? I‘m fine either way, I‘ll just sleep better knowing in advance how long my reign is going to be until we gather again to elect our next Khaleesi.
I would prefer bi-yearly. First year is a learning curve and the second year is where what is learned is applied!

Last edited:

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Great ideas, Alice. I especially like the gunpowder plot and the elements.

As for locations -- I sometimes find them hard to pull off. Maybe just one per quarter, and make it someplace special?
Same for individual noses.

Houses/brands -- I think people like these. See how the voting goes?

This might be an unpopular thought, but I'm not a big fan of the individual Basenoters days. It feels a little clique-ish, which might be discouraging for newcomers, and also this year there were at least 3 days, maybe more, when the named Basenoter didn't even bother showing up for the Sync.

One that everbody seems to love is "Panned by the Guide".

As far as length of tenure, I'm inclined to think two years, but as Teardrop says, maybe we should retain the option of keeping you in office if we want to and you still want to do it. :)

Last edited:

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
This might be an unpopular thought, but I'm not a big fan of the individual Basenoters days. It feels a little clique-ish, which might be discouraging for newcomers, and also this year there were at least 3 days, maybe more, when the named Basenoter didn't even bother showing up for the Sync.
Very good point! I can see how this could effect newcomers, I really don't want new posters to feel unwelcome to join in or that they are on the side lines looking in..... With the new site, now, is the time to encourage new posters so I'm now re-thinking my thoughts on Basenoters' days, maybe, we need to take a year off from BN days.

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013

I've had the same thought: it kind of feels like there's an "in" crowd. Plus, people flow in and out of the thread so it can be hard to predict who will be participating on their designated day.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I am with the way this is all trending. Biannual terms, bihemispheric holidays, emotional and conceptual themes, elements (ancient and modern), wear your (zodiac, avatar, username, family).

I could see both a "panned by the guide" and a "critics' choices" day as well.

I like members' suggestions of days over member days.

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013

giphy.gif

I think a two-year term is good. That way, the learning and experience acquired in the first year can be applied to the second year.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
My personal believe regarding BNers days is that priority SHOULD be given to those who have never had a BNer day. I've made that a requirement each of the five years that I hosted the sync. teardrops suggestions would be good choices although we ought to check my past lists from the past 5 years to be sure. I would add Grant Osborne to the list as he did a lot recently in getting us onto this new platform, I really think he deserves a BN day. There were problems in the past when we had BNer days in which some individuals became inactive later in the year. We could have alternates to fill in if we the individual is no longer active by the time their BN days arrives. We could retire the BN Day theme all together as well.

As for locations, I've tried different approaches from continents to cities to generic locations. Some individuals found it difficult with specific cities so I used generic locations to make things easier enough that one can participate.

I like ClockWorkAlice's suggestions of feelings or elements, that would be a nice alternative to geographical locations or BNer days, something fresh and new.

Maybe we can forgo either geographical locations or BNer days?

As for equinox and solstice, I've always had them since they are pretty easy for anyone to chose a scent.

There is of course the syncs with specific houses, noses, and notes. These were rotated in and out between years based on everyones's preference. My decision on adding these were reflected on how many individuals requested a specific house, nose, or note.

I would like for us to throw in ideas that are outside of the box and innovative that have never been used previously. ClockWorkAlice definitely has some good suggestions, if it were me I would try encourage everyone to bring forth fresh new ideas. That's one of the reasons why there has been a stronger interest to participate more in recent years.

Last edited:

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
Thanks, ClockworkAlice!
So exciting to be planning the 2022 syncs.

I agree with prior posters who suggested thinking up an alternative to BNer days that would feel more Inclusive to newcomers. Also I vote for 2 year terms for the Sync Mistress. As @Trilby Lark stated, year one is time for learning and settling in and trying new things, year two takes advantage of that experience.

ClockworkAlice I am liking your ideas about emotion, elements, and zodiac.
I’ve not thought of many ideas yet but maybe a sync about a specific color.
What about a Female Perfumer of Your Choice sync Instead of a specific perfumer, as this would open up opportunity for more participation and discussion.

Something I do like is syncs that are about specific notes. I always learn a lot about new perfumes to try and notes to explore. I think hay and cumin were mentioned as being of interest in the 2021 thread. What do others feel about specific note syncs?

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Something I do like is syncs that are about specific notes. I always learn a lot about new perfumes to try and notes to explore. I think hay and cumin were mentioned as being of interest in the 2021 thread. What do others feel about specific note syncs?
Hay was mentioned last year I remembered.

As for notes, houses, noses - sometimes it gets overused particularly houses and notes. We should try adding some that haven't been used the previous year(s). As much as I want to see a Chanel, Guerlain, Dior theme, sometimes these houses get overused.

Let's get this thread stickied to the top of the forum.

Last edited:

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Contrasts in perfumes - could be fragrances that have contrasting notes in them or wear two perfumes over the course of the day and evening that are complete opposites.

Post a picture - landscape, painting, etc. and then everyone has to pick a perfume from their wardrobe that best interprets or matches the picture.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Contrasts in perfumes - could be fragrances that have contrasting notes in them or wear two perfumes over the course of the day and evening that are complete opposites.

Post a picture - landscape, painting, etc. and then everyone has to pick a perfume from their wardrobe that best interprets or matches the picture.
These are great ideas. I could lots of interesting pictures for the posting a picture theme.

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Let's get this thread stickied to the top of the forum.
Since we already have five threads that are stickies and the first page of FFD is not filled with past SotD threads anymore, I would prefer to wait until it's 2022 to sticky this thread. I don't think this thread will make it onto page 2 and get lost before the start of 2022, I'm happy to revise if it does drop down to far.

teardrop

Sep 1, 2010
I had one this year.

Oops, sorry! :oops: Guess l was more tired last night than l thought.

l can see the point of view of others here who wish to forego BNer days in order to make newcomers feel more welcome. Let's try to think of more interesting themes & make it clear that they're open to interpretation. That might make the synchs more attractive to new members.

Last edited:

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I like members' suggestions of days over member days.

I don't quite get your meaning there, Red. Could you elaborate?
"Member days" (days dedicated to a member) end up being either "member provides something they like or want as a theme" or "member's more obvious tastes and loves are declared as a theme". Especially when defined loosely or late, I sometimes find them ambiguous.

Things are a bit clearer to me when we just declare a theme - mostly because it's done early, during the planning stages. But tying it to a person does act as a kind of honorarium, and adds human interest.

So if we do go with "member days", I hope that we pin down what exactly they mean, and fairly early. That also partially fixes the "absence problem".

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Oops, sorry! :oops: Guess l was more tired last night than l thought.

l can see the point of view of others here who wish to forego BNer days in order to make newcomers feel more welcome. Let's try to think of more interesting themes & make it clear that they're open to interpretation. That might make the synchs more attractive to new members.
"Member days" (days dedicated to a member) end up being either "member provides something they like or want as a theme" or "member's more obvious tastes and loves are declared as a theme". Especially when defined loosely or late, I sometimes find them ambiguous.

Things are a bit clearer to me when we just declare a theme - mostly because it's done early, during the planning stages. But tying it to a person does act as a kind of honorarium, and adds human interest.

So if we do go with "member days", I hope that we pin down what exactly they mean, and fairly early. That also partially fixes the "absence problem".
We should also stress to new members that there are no right or wrong choices for each theme.

As for BN day, the purpose of it was to have A day to honor a particular BNer - think of it like a person of the month, a spotlight on an individual so to speak. In fact many new BNers during the different years were selected to receive a BN day.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I have no strong pro or con feeling about BNer days, save that, if we maintain them, the actual themes should be clear and broadly relatable, and the focus should be on as-yet-unhonored BNers.

Beyond that, I see the creative juices are flowing admirably. If I think of a theme, I’ll suggest it, but I don’t think my help is required.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
My personal believe regarding BNers days is that priority SHOULD be given to those who have never had a BNer day.

I have no strong pro or con feeling about BNer days, save that, if we maintain them, the actual themes should be clear and broadly relatable, and the focus should be on as-yet-unhonored BNers.

Guys, I thought that goes without even saying.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I like that you're discussing about BN days, ladies and gentlemen! It's very eye opening to me - because something that looks like just pure joy and celebration of our community to me apparently does look clique-ish and not as fun to others. I never looked at it this way!

To me it's a nice way to showcase people and their interests, and the members self-chosen synch themes add that nice extra of randomness and specific-ness, as some choose a favourite house, some choose a favourite ingredient, some choose a favourite perfume category, some choose some creative idea etc. BUT after your arguments I see that it might not be as fun for others as it is for me - and seeing is part of understanding, so it's good.
I haven't made my mind yet if we're leaving BN days for this year or keeping them, so please say what you think - it'll be easier to decide when we all see how many people favour them and how many people aren't fans of them. A year-long pause from BN-er days might be a refreshing thing for a change on one hand - on another hand, there are some cool and creative people that I'd like to honor, too. :)

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013

I love this idea and think it could stimulate lots of discussion. Since you made the suggestion, perhaps you should select the picture(s) in collaboration with the Sync Host, ClockworkAlice. If needed, Fanny might be a good resource for evocative pictures - her Let's Honor Our Perfumes thread is simply amazing!

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I like that you're discussing about BN days, ladies and gentlemen! It's very eye opening to me - because something that looks like just pure joy and celebration of our community to me apparently does look clique-ish and not as fun to others. I never looked at it this way!

To me it's a nice way to showcase people and their interests, and the members self-chosen synch themes add that nice extra of randomness and specific-ness, as some choose a favourite house, some choose a favourite ingredient, some choose a favourite perfume category, some choose some creative idea etc. BUT after your arguments I see that it might not be as fun for others as it is for me - and seeing is part of understanding, so it's good.
I haven't made my mind yet if we're leaving BN days for this year or keeping them, so please say what you think - it'll be easier to decide when we all see how many people favour them and how many people aren't fans of them. A year-long pause from BN-er days might be a refreshing thing for a change on one hand - on another hand, there are some cool and creative people that I'd like to honor, too. :)
Before I read @Cook.bot post, my thoughts about BN days were similar to yours, when I started to think about it, I could see her point. Not all newcomers will feel that way but some will, depends on personality, introvert, extrovert, etc.

Been thinking about this and I have a suggestion of a work around. How about we ask/message Basenoters that haven't had a BN day yet, like the ones that teardrop mentioned and ask them to chose a favourite house, perfumer, note/s or a perfume genre for a Friday sync theme and we list it for example, like this: House of Guerlain as suggested by "member's name". Sort of a mash up of BN day, houses, perfumers, notes, genres and we would know the theme right from the start - it would be clear with no confusion! So, we would know it's a special day for the Basenoter but it's not so obvious when looking at the sync list. Also, have them every second month instead of monthly and vary which week of the month that they appear on the list.

Another idea could be to list in brackets the members that suggested the different themes which would bring more member's names into the Sync list.

All the ideas I mentioned above were for once a year syncs, I agree, that a monthly Post a picture theme would be to much!:)

teardrop

Sep 1, 2010
Expanding on CuddleCat's point about varying which week of the month certain synchs appear in, l agree that having a fixed pattern can seem too rigid. For example, this year we did Halloween scents a week early because Halloween fell on a BNer day, which made no sense to me. lf we're marking festivals like Halloween, Christmas & so forth, those synchs need to happen as close as possible to the actual event.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Expanding on CuddleCat's point about varying which week of the month certain synchs appear in, l agree that having a fixed pattern can seem too rigid. For example, this year we did Halloween scents a week early because Halloween fell on a BNer day, which made no sense to me. lf we're marking festivals like Halloween, Christmas & so forth, those synchs need to happen as close as possible to the actual event.
I absolutely agree and was thinking the same.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Before I read @Cook.bot post, my thoughts about BN days were similar to yours, when I started to think about it, I could see her point. Not all newcomers will feel that way but some will, depends on personality, introvert, extrovert, etc.

Been thinking about this and I have a suggestion of a work around. How about we ask/message Basenoters that haven't had a BN day yet, like the ones that teardrop mentioned and ask them to chose a favourite house, perfumer, note/s or a perfume genre for a Friday sync theme and we list it for example, like this: House of Guerlain as suggested by "member's name". Sort of a mash up of BN day, houses, perfumers, notes, genres and we would know the theme right from the start - it would be clear with no confusion! So, we would know it's a special day for the Basenoter but it's not so obvious when looking at the sync list. Also, have them every second month instead of monthly and vary which week of the month that they appear on the list.

Another idea could be to list in brackets the members that suggested the different themes which would bring more member's names into the Sync list.

All the ideas I mentioned above were for once a year syncs, I agree, that a monthly Post a picture theme would be to much!:)
Asking the BNers who haven't had a day what they would like to have would be a great idea. Probably could come up with more than 6 individuals, there's probably a few long time members that haven't received one as well.

I do have to disagree on including brackets for the members who suggested the different themes. I think it should be anonymous even though one probably could figure who mentioned a certain idea by reading earlier posts.

Posting a Picture each every month is too much.

Last edited:

justfoxie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 23, 2018
This is very exciting! I like a lot of your ideas @ClockworkAlice! And it's really interesting to read others' perspectives. I also like @teardrop's suggestion that we expand out the 5th November to "gunpowder, treason & plot" so that those without a taste for the weird can get creative with something that fits that theme too.

Basenoter days - I am kind of ambivalent about these. Maybe because I dip in and out so much I don't really have a sense for much of who's who or what their tastes are. That said it is a nice way to get to know people when they turn up and talk about why they like a particular thing. Even if we don't do a lot of them, I really do like the idea of having one for Grant to recognise all his hard work

Hemisphere inclusive - 100% yes please. The equinoxes and solstices are easy enough for this I think (just do whichever is relevant). I also like the idea of doing a "Christmas in July" and maybe a "sunshine/memories of sunshine" for sometime in January maybe? Peak summer for our southern hemisphere peeps and giving those of us in cold, dark climes some hope.

I really like the House/Perfumer synchs as this has been the best way to get me out of my comfort zone, particularly the perfumer synchs. It is challenging though if someone doesn't ship internationally and isn't widely stocked. Maybe we could feature our favourite woman perfumer/head of house for the Friday closest to International Women's Day (08 March).

I like the idea of doing the elements or feelings! Oooh or the picture idea. Maybe we could expand the basenoter day to encompass someone to be the one to choose the photo rather than something about their tastes? The synethesia one was particularly good I seem to remember. And yes please to keeping "panned by the guide" - love that.

It might also be good to feature perfume traditions that aren't western? So India, China or the Middle East? When we've done countries/regions before it was more what reminds us of that, but not something from that culture's fragrance tradition itself. I'd really like the chance to explore that.

HouseOfPhlegethon

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2017
I concur on this.

I couldn't think of a single suggestion for a theme for the 2021 synch that, someone else hadn't mentioned, last year. I can think of houses not used but, other than that, my mind's a blank. I guess I am no help at all. I'll go sit in the corner and think.... o_O

Warum

Apr 4, 2010
The synethesia one was particularly good I seem to remember.
Colors could be a simple theme for everyone to follow. One could simply use the color of the juice/box/other elements of presentation or use the actual synethesia (I am one of those who often "sees" scents in colors, very vividly).

Evangeline

Oct 31, 2009
Colors could be a simple theme for everyone to follow. One could simply use the color of the juice/box/other elements of presentation or use the actual synethesia (I am one of those who often "sees" scents in colors, very vividly).
I really like this idea! I "see" the color of fragrances, too, and I used to believe everyone saw smells the same way. I try to get as close as possible to that specific color when posting, so the perfume name is usually what I envision ...or as close as the HEX codes will allow.

Warum

Apr 4, 2010
I don't think it's necessarily cliquish to have a BNer's day. It CAN be but it doesn't have to be.

I found the BNers days feature helpful to become more a part of the forums (and syncs which are challenging for me to participate in) after my long absense. What I think might help the new members is to be given an explicit encouragement to contact the featured BN member and discuss the theme with them. I think that would provide some needed support and establish personal connections between newer members and our more seasoned members.

Oh... and I am vain. I would not turn down a BN day, anonymous or not. And I wouldn't mind new members contacting me to discuss a sync theme. I know many of us wouldn't either - this community shows extreme support for the newcomers and those who come back. I've been the lucky recipient of both and would be happy to pay it forward.

I can also see how some new members might want to have their day in the future as well ;-)

My $.02 worth on the topic of BNers day.

P.S. edited for clarity

Last edited:

Warum

Apr 4, 2010
Oh, I really like this idea. I "see" the color of fragrances, too, and I used to believe everyone saw smells the same way. I try to get as close as possible to that specific color when posting, so the perfume name is usually what I envision ...or as close as the HEX codes will allow.
Me too, I thought this was extremely natural to experience scents that way. I was very surprised when my loved one said that this is likely to be the case of mild synesthesia and that not everyone else would feel that way.
Sometimes a name has nothing to do with it for me but sometimes I can see the overlap with something - liquid color, elements of presentation, etc.

Staff online

Latest News