Synchronized Fridays 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
It's like trying to judge whether a marinara sauce is well made if you really hate tomatoes; it's not a job you're really qualified to do.
Huge offtopic, but that is exactly why no one will ever hear me making any quality comments about marinara sauce.
Or me. I would rather eat tuberose.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
I joined in the sync yesterday with a lesser known Ropion composition, Krazy Krizia (1991).

Some brief background—the Krizia fashion house was founded by Mariuccia Mandelli (1925-2015), a designer of boundless creativity and gumption. She is credited with popularizing “hot pants” — short shorts worn for day or evening. I’m old enough to remember when “hot pants” were scandalous. Now, my daughters and their friends wear fashionable shorts all of the time.

From Mandelli’s Guardian obituary

Mandelli called the company Krizia, claiming it was a variant on a name from a story of money and vanity by Plato, and it almost became her own name, with a prefix: Crazy Krizia. Italian womenswear in the 1950s and 60s stressed female sensuousness, where Mandelli’s work had a Milanese tailored fit, plus a Schiaparelli-like curiosity about new materials and technical processes, especially permanent pleating, and a brainy humour (she strongly influenced Miuccia Prada).

Like the designer, the perfume Krazy Krizia belies its name. It’s a lovely spicy amber perfume, sharing in the richness of scents such as Coco, Teatro all Scala, Must de Cartier. I enjoyed wearing it yesterday, and I would like to find the time to compare it directly to Coco, Teatro all Scala, Must de Cartier, and Roma. Like Must de Cartier, it plays a citrus top against warmer accords. Reviewers often compare Krazy Krizia to Obsession, but Krazy Krizia has much more fruit and flowers, making Obsession feel like a rather dour minimalist amber in comparison.

I plan to wear vintage Ysatis today, the perfume that established Ropion’s career in 1984 when his composition was selected by Hubert de Givenchy after an extensive search for the next Givenchy perfume.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
Like the designer, the perfume Krazy Krizia belies its name. It’s a lovely spicy amber perfume, sharing in the richness of scents such as Coco, Teatro all Scala, Must de Cartier. I enjoyed wearing it yesterday, and I would like to find the time to compare it directly to Coco, Teatro all Scala, Must de Cartier, and Roma. Like Must de Cartier, it plays a citrus top against warmer accords. Reviewers often compare Krazy Krizia to Obsession, but Krazy Krizia has much more fruit and flowers, making Obsession feel like a rather dour minimalist amber in comparison.

I plan to wear vintage Ysatis today, the perfume that established Ropion’s career in 1984 when his composition was selected by Hubert de Givenchy after an extensive search for the next Givenchy perfume.
Excellent post on Krizia fashion and fragrance background. Thanks, grayspoole! :)
Funny I have all but one of your listed comparison fragrances but do not have Krazy Krizia. I’ve read your posts about KK in the past which did prompt me to put it on my test list a long time ago, but just now I’ve ordered a boxed mini with a shortlist so I’ll be able to try it soon.

Meanwhile, I’ll join you in Ysatis today. I have a big vintage splash bottle, and the stopper on these is quite wide so I’m always concerned about deterioration each time I uncork it, but it has really stood up well. It is so cold and wet these days that I’ve been focusing on incense and spices, dry woods mostly to try to warm myself up. Ysatis is a whole other thing about a whole other season. This time of year (winter where I am) it is really a gloom-banishing fragrance, and today the flowers are especially vivacious leaving no room for winter doldrums 💐☀️

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
Sometimes, my repetitive ruminating on perfumes reminds me of Groundhog Day…

Didn’t I think these exact thoughts before when I wore this? Am I losing it?

Often, in fact, I DID have those thoughts before. A little searching turns up the following notes on Ysatis, which I posted on a Vintage Sync thread a while ago, when I was also agreeing with Earlyn.

I just don’t get the hysteria over big 80’s perfumes. I was alive then, and I can recall only one time when I was overwhelmed by someone’s scent, when I was sitting behind her at an opera. Even so, I thought the swoon-inducing sillage fit the occasion. When I expanded my vintage wardrobe with 80’s florals such as Ysatis, I was surprised by how much I liked them.. ..So I don’t find Ysatis at all loud, grating, or bombastic; instead, it shimmers. It opens with a slightly powdery, aldehydic dryness that offers a subtle reminder of the older Givenchy classics such as thr original L’Interdit and Le De. I don’t perceive much citrus in the top; however, there is cool air and a delicate dewiness within that reminds me of the quicksilver, flickering floral notes in vintage bouquets such as Fleurs de Rocaille or Je Reviens. I think a smooth distilled variant of vetiver--not a smoky Haitian vetiver--gives this effect: it is especially notable in Je Reviens. Ysatis does have some weight and creaminess but not a lot of sweetness nor, to my nose, does it possess a particularly strong coconut note or tropical feeling. The dominant floral impression comes from the ylang ylang, which smells delightful, and a light rose.

Earlyn sums up my view of vintage Ysatis:

The more I wear other perfumes, the more I appreciate Ysatis, and with each successive wear I enjoy it more.

My Ysatis is a well preserved vintage EDT from 1985.

Last edited:

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
Excellent post on Krizia fashion and fragrance background. Thanks, grayspoole! :)
Funny I have all but one of your listed comparison fragrances but do not have Krazy Krizia. I’ve read your posts about KK in the past which did prompt me to put it on my test list a long time ago, but just now I’ve ordered a boxed mini with a shortlist so I’ll be able to try it soon.

Meanwhile, I’ll join you in Ysatis today. I have a big vintage splash bottle, and the stopper on these is quite wide so I’m always concerned about deterioration each time I uncork it, but it has really stood up well. It is so cold and wet these days that I’ve been focusing on incense and spices, dry woods mostly to try to warm myself up. Ysatis is a whole other thing about a whole other season. This time of year (winter where I am) it is really a gloom-banishing fragrance, and today the flowers are especially vivacious leaving no room for winter doldrums 💐☀️
Looking forward to hearing what you think of Krazy Krizia, Earlyn. A boxed vintage mini is always a treat to find in the mailbox. Hope it doesn’t disappoint

Warum

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 4, 2010
I have expanded Ropion sync to the entire weekend partially because I am inspired by the fellow BNers and their choices then partially because I did not feel compelled for the weekend sync theme.

So yesterday I wore Un Fleur de Cassie and I am about to meet the work challenges today in Krazy Krizia. No idea where my decant came from and whose kindness to thank, but I am about to finish it soon.

knit at nite

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 5, 2009
I didn't sync Friday as I was running late for my physical therapy appt, followed by my booster shot. Yesterday was dizzy and sore & didn't feel like scent. Today I'm better & really enjoying reading your posts about your choices and thoughts. I am re-impressed with M. Ropion's talent & creations!
I've got Caron Amez-moi, Jungle L'elephant, Krazy Krizia, Dior Dune (I believe a co-creation), Amarige, Gucci Accenti, Alien, Safari, & Soir de Lune in my collection. I had Yardley Lace years ago, areal cheapie but so pretty.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I've got Caron Amez-moi, Jungle L'elephant, Krazy Krizia, Dior Dune (I believe a co-creation), Amarige, Gucci Accenti, Alien, Safari, & Soir de Lune in my collection. I had Yardley Lace years ago, areal cheapie but so pretty.

Wow, even belatedly I think you win the Ropion sync, just by sheer force of numbers!

So I don’t find Ysatis at all loud, grating, or bombastic; instead, it shimmers.

Grayspoole, when I grow up I want to have as broad-minded a perfume outlook as you do. Seriously, I envy that.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I didn't sync Friday as I was running late for my physical therapy appt, followed by my booster shot. Yesterday was dizzy and sore & didn't feel like scent. Today I'm better & really enjoying reading your posts about your choices and thoughts. I am re-impressed with M. Ropion's talent & creations!
Which one did you get? I got mine last week, Pfizer, and I had sharp aches in my arm the days that followed.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
Grayspoole, when I grow up I want to have as broad-minded a perfume outlook as you do. Seriously, I envy that.
Broad-minded or just undiscriminating? I wonder sometimes. I remain interested in exploring many different styles of perfume, accords, and notes. There are certainly many perfumes that I find I do not like, but I don’t rule out anything.

In fact, yesterday, I wore a perfume that I thought I did not like, given previous trials—Safari—but I found that I enjoyed it very much. (I may have tested samples from different eras—I’m not sure). I know this is one of your favorites, Cook.bot.

Safari has never felt especially green to me, nor have I ever perceived much galbanum in it, and I think this disappointed me in the past. This time, I tried it without those preconceptions. I still had some reservations about its opening phase as a hesperidic fruity floral where I think the “cassis” note still bothers me—that sharp, slightly urinous fruitiness. I have the same problem with Magie Noire.. But the long drydown of Safari was wonderful, when it turns into a woody amber incense.

So another good outing with a third Ropion composition…

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
Which one did you get? I got mine last week, Pfizer, and I had sharp aches in my arm the days that followed.
Sorry to hear this. I’ve now had three shots of the Pfizer. For me, the side effects were minimal—slight pain in the arm, feeling a bit under the weather the following night.

When I go for the shot, I drink a lot of water (read thatbthis helps) and I take a pain reliever afterwards. The nurse who administered the booster shot gave me some new advice—to move my arm around a lot immediateafter the shot to reduce the symptoms, so I flapped my arm around for a while as if I was doing the Chicken Dance. Figured it couldn’t hurt!

Warum

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 4, 2010
I did Moderna in the end of November and I reacted to my third one about the same way I did to my first one - noticeable but easily tolerable ache in my arm for about 24-36 hrs.
My second one gave me a "covid arm" and hurt a lot more and for a longer time.
But now that I think about what @grayspoole said, I did move around a lot more after my first and third shot. I had a lot of Zoom meetings immediately following my second one and that was less conducive to movement.

Warum

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 4, 2010
I remain interested in exploring many different styles of perfume, accords, and notes. There are certainly many perfumes that I find I do not like, but I don’t rule out anything.
Well said, and I feel the same way. I find the fluidity of my tastes both exhilarating and frightening. Yet there is some serious constancy to my tastes as well - and that itself, especially when added to the fluidity, is equally exhilarating and frightening :)

Warum

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 4, 2010
Also sending big thanks to everyone who did the Ropion synch last week! I learned a lot and added at least 5 scents to my "to try" list. This is one of the reasons I love Friday synchs.
Which ones did you want to try? Maybe I can help you out.
Rats! Just noticed that you're in the UK. This may make mailing fragrance a lot more of an issue, IIANM there are some serious restrictions on Royal Mail right now.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I did Moderna in the end of November and I reacted to my third one about the same way I did to my first one - noticeable but easily tolerable ache in my arm for about 24-36 hrs.
My second one gave me a "covid arm" and hurt a lot more and for a longer time.
But now that I think about what @grayspoole said, I did move around a lot more after my first and third shot. I had a lot of Zoom meetings immediately following my second one and that was less conducive to movement.
I had the reverse happen to me in the first two doses. First dose I was sore for 3-4 days. Second dose I was slightly sore for less than 24 hours. Third dose I was sore 4 days, I'm at the tail end of it now.

Sorry to hear this. I’ve now had three shots of the Pfizer. For me, the side effects were minimal—slight pain in the arm, feeling a bit under the weather the following night.

When I go for the shot, I drink a lot of water (read thatbthis helps) and I take a pain reliever afterwards. The nurse who administered the booster shot gave me some new advice—to move my arm around a lot immediateafter the shot to reduce the symptoms, so I flapped my arm around for a while as if I was doing the Chicken Dance. Figured it couldn’t hurt!
I had no reaction for the first dose. The second and third dose I had severe reactions. I had a fever, body aches, body chills, and fatigue. The second dose the reaction lasted a full day, the third dose the reaction lasted two full days.

justfoxie

You smell nice
Basenotes Plus
Oct 23, 2018
Which ones did you want to try? Maybe I can help you out.
Rats! Just noticed that you're in the UK. This may make mailing fragrance a lot more of an issue, IIANM there are some serious restrictions on Royal Mail right now.
That's so sweet! Thank you for the offer, but as you say things with the post are a bit nuts right now. Maybe once we get through the holiday season, I'll take you up on the offer!

I have sampled a couple of the Frederic Malle ones before (Vetiver Extraordinaire, Carnal Flower, Portrait of a Lady) and did not love them for me but could see the skill in composition. I think of the next one I'm most keen to try is Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant followed closely by Alien (love jasmine so anything described as "nuclear jasmine" has my interest). My mom also wore various iterations of Poison in the 90s and which means I should probably steer clear of those...

Maybe I should have signed my mom up to Basenotes for last week's synch!

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
This Friday we arrive at new destination: Grandma's House!

I can see this going to many directions: oldschool scents and classics if your grandma was a sophisticated and fragrant lady, or bakery scents if your grandma was one of those sweet grandmas who would bake cookies or cinnamon buns or pies, or lavender if yours was likely to hang those lavender sachets everywhere, or maybe she was the one who loved to grow flowers, or maybe she smelled of soap, or maybe she didn't bathe much and smelled musky, animalic and eau naturelle, or... yeah, cabbage and the like. :D

If your grandma was the cabbage kind and you have no wish to smell of Eau de Cabbage (pronounced like Sauvage), Sauerkraut Le Parfum Intense or Le Kale all Friday, you can always do a fantasy grandma - what would your ideal grandma smell like? What would YOU smell like to your grandkids if you were a grandmother - or maybe you already are?
I say there's a lot of space for fantasizing here in this house :)

Warum

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 4, 2010
My maternal grandma loved lily of the valley in perfumes and was pretty superstitious, so that leaves me with an obvious choice ;-)
My paternal grandma was famous for her homemade baked cinnamon buns, oh goodness!
So I have one clear choice and one cinnamon scented lead. We'll see what I will feel like comes Friday. I'm off on Friday, that'll help too.

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
There are two ways I could go baking and gardening. Farm house with lots of baking aromas - biscuits/cookies, cakes, slices, etc. and when she wasn't baking, she was outside gardening - the garden was huge - flowers including roses, irises, camellias, rhododendrons and fruit trees including lemons, oranges, apples, plums, crab apples. Oh, she had a herb garden as well so lots of choices for me this week!

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
My grandparents also had a flower garden - but it's actually my grandfather who took care of it. He loved flowers, he grew roses, violets, tagetes, carnations and gladioli. He also loved cats and birds and has kept various pets. His garage was full of kitten posters. He was such a dandy, always groomed and dressed impeccably and clearly was a lover and not a fighter, an adventurer, a troublemaker, a joker and a ladies' guy.

My grandmother never wore make up, never dyed her hair and always kept it short, and was the sensible, kind, loving, forgiving and down to earth one in the family - because someone has to keep things in check. :)

How I miss them both!

ineespenes

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 27, 2006
For the synch I can either choose to wear something that reminds me of my paternal grandmother or maternal grandmother. My paternal lived on the countryside and they had a few sheep, so something that reminds me of that. She also used to bake bread. My maternal grandmother used to wear Chanel no 5,but I can't remember her since she died when I was only 1 year old :/ We'll see what I'm in the mood for on Friday :)

ineespenes

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 27, 2006
For the synch I can either choose to wear something that reminds me of my paternal grandmother or maternal grandmother. My paternal lived on the countryside and they had a few sheep, so something that reminds me of that. She also used to bake bread. My maternal grandmother used to wear Chanel no 5,but I can't remember her since she died when I was only 1 year old :/ We'll see what I'm in the mood for on Friday :)
By the way.... How do I upload pictures after the BN-upgrade? I keep getting told the file is too large if I try to upload from my phone the, way I used to :/ It would be nice to add a photo for the synch :)

Darjeeling

Basenotes Institution
Oct 29, 2012
Grandma's house...

The only scent associations I have are cooking smells. Not sure that either grandmother ever wore perfume.

Going for my booster on Friday. What's a good scent to wear for a booster shot? I'm pretty sure it will be Pfizer, so please recommend accordingly. I wouldn't want to commit the faux pas of wearing a scent for Moderna.

purecaramel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 9, 2013
Paternal Grandmother's home was Sunday Roast Beef drippings, Potatoes peeled. Steamed Stinky Brussell Sprouts.
Lemon Curd and Bubbly Ginger Ale.
Before that first entry of her Home was the extraordinary perfume of Hardwood furniture and Antique Oriental paraphenalia. The lead mark was a Collection of Sandalwood Fans and Camphour boxes. The Old Girl was a Librarian so the scent of Papyrus and Bookbind was at the Heart. Her perfumes were Chanel Bois des Ilses and Pear's Soap. Choice would be Friday Synch will be a touch of 60's Sandalwood oil layered with a mid 70's pre-Polge Bois des Ilses Parfum.
Maternal Grandmother's home was much more rustic with a smoke from Fir, Alderwood and Cedar heat Stove. She and her home always scented of Lilac and Lily of the Valley and Neroli, Strong in Spring and lingering through Summer into Fall. She frequently used 4711 so that could be a choice.
More likely I will wear 60's Dioressence. It's fierce Muguet brilliance carries me back to her strong-willed Feminine Viking fierce manner that filled her rather austere and rural home.

teardrop

Basenotes Institution
Sep 1, 2010
My strongest scent memory of my maternal grandparents' house is the tomato plants that grew in their sunny back porch. And my maternal grandmother's name was Violet; she wore a lot of those sweet old-fashioned April Violet-type scents that you could buy in gift shops back then. l think they were probably given to her as gifts.

l don't remember my paternal grandmother wearing perfume, but my paternal grandfather smoked a pipe, so there's that.

l don't have anything in my collection that particularly evokes these memories, except for Neil Morris's Sherlock, for the pipe tobacco. But l find it a bit of a challenging wear & l have to be in the right mood for it. l was thinking of going the "fantasy grandma" route, but l like the idea of what l'd smell like if l were someone's grandma! l shall have a think about this...

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
@Darjeeling - I wore Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca for my both Pfizer shots this summer. I think anything refreshing, citrusy, minty or slightly herbal would be just perfect.
I am getting my third shot this Saturday and it feels way too cold to wear Herba Fresca now... But I guess it would be fun to choose it again as a running joke for this being my vaccination perfume.

Darjeeling

Basenotes Institution
Oct 29, 2012
@Darjeeling - I wore Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca for my both Pfizer shots this summer. I think anything refreshing, citrusy, minty or slightly herbal would be just perfect.
I am getting my third shot this Saturday and it feels way too cold to wear Herba Fresca now... But I guess it would be fun to choose it again as a running joke for this being my vaccination perfume.

Seeing as reviews of Neroli prominent scents sometime soon say it reminds them of their grandmothers I guess I could kill two birds with one stone going with a neroli EdC scent again this week. I do like the idea of some energizing mint just for the vaccination. I enjoyed Herba Fresca when I sampled it.

justfoxie

You smell nice
Basenotes Plus
Oct 23, 2018
The only scent I remember my maternal grandmother wearing was an Avon scent in a blue bottle. I think it was Mesmerize. At one point she gave me a locket that had that as the scent in the centre (which I might have somewhere?). Maybe I’ll choose something with similar notes?

She was was the one that let me choose my first scent for myself which she bought me for my 13th birthday - Charlie Red by Revlon. I recently got a bottle for nostalgia last year so that might be fun to wear.

My great grandmother (mom’s dad’s mom) kept a bunch of Avon bottles on her dresser too but my memories are too hazy for me to remember which ones.

My paternal grandmother wore Liz Taylor Diamonds at one point. And I bought her a bottle of Miller Harris Scherzo for her 85th birthday in 2019. I don’t have a sample of either of those alas.

Seems like Charlie Red is my best bet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News