Synchronized Fridays 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I'm glad this sync made me wear Cologne Indelebile. Because I only have a 10ml travel spray I tend to save it (for what exactly I'm not sure) and wear my other neroli EdC style scents more instead, but what good is a fragrance if never worn?
Very true! How does it rate up against your other neroli EdC style scents?

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Pre synced with Vetiver Extraordinaire from Frederic Malle. A nice dry aromatic vetiver scent, somedays I do regret not buying a bottle of it. It could've been staple for a workscent.
375x500.4774.jpg

Darjeeling

Basenotes Institution
Oct 29, 2012
Very true! How does it rate up against your other neroli EdC style scents?
It's one of my favorites, which is probably why I get into that weird mindset that I should save it for some special or super appropriate occasion.

Really it's an easy wearing, long lasting EdC that I should use with abandon in warmer weather.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I'm synching with Lalique Le Parfum today - a beautiful, slightly boozy, rich and grown up aromatic vanilla with some patchouli and bay leaf.

1638516631471.png

Here is my flowery and overexcited review of it:
Now who is the beautiful, rich, cozy and boozy-aromatic vanilla to inhale and get drunk on its richness? Yes, dear Lalique Le Parfum, you are!

Lalique Le Parfum is a rich, boozy, deep, not-too-sweet vanilla scent with a smallest hint of patchouli in the drydown to darken it a bit and a beautiful and very aromatic bay leaf in the top notes. The bay leaf adds some quirkiness and character to this otherwise very smooth scent. I think I get a little bit of black pepper too, but maybe it's just bay leaf's bitter-savoury aroma that's helping me imagine it. I love this scent and I am amazed every time I wear it. It might not be everyone's vanilla as that bay leaf might be as difficult for some as it is fascinating to me, but it's a good one.

The bottle is made of a heavy glass and looks fantastic. The scent lasts half a day on me and makes me half crazy during that time as I just can't stop sniffing my inner elbows, thus making me get cold as I must sit without a sweater to be able to consistently do that. Enough of this praise - thumbs up.

justfoxie

You smell nice
Basenotes Plus
Oct 23, 2018
Well I can't find my sample of Alien and while I did get that bottle of europhia (more as a memento), spraying it on paper has reminded me about why my mom and I have never shared fragrances - what smells good on her, smells awful on me.

So I'm going to sit this one out and enjoy hearing about some things to try another time!

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Well I can't find my sample of Alien and while I did get that bottle of europhia (more as a memento), spraying it on paper has reminded me about why my mom and I have never shared fragrances - what smells good on her, smells awful on me.

Sounds like somebody's mom is about to get a new bottle of Euphoria. :)

As planned, I'm in:

Jungle L'Elephant

JungleLelephantEDP.2.jpg

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
I went with Paco Rabanne Olympea today for the office as this is the most subtle Ropion scent I have. I thought he had created this on his own, but in looking at the directory page it appears there were 2 other perfumers also involved: Anne Flipo and Loc Dong. I got my decant for free as it was thrown in when I purchased some other decants from a seller on eBay. It's nice - it smells to me like a light, powdery floral with orange and vanilla, and a tad of something salty or ozonic. It doesn't last very long though, is a bit sweet for my tastes, and I don't think the highest quality raw materials were used. IMO it's definitely not one of Ropion's best or most distinctive scents (or one of Paco Rabanne's, for that matter) but I suspect Paco Rabanne didn't give him and the other Perfumers a soaring budget to work with on this one. I'll sync with another Ropion scent tonight as I don't think this one quite does him justice.

Last edited:

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
As prolific as Ropion has been, I don't believe I own any bottles, and only have one sample right now: Costume National Homme

I used to have (and love) a decant of Carnal Flower, but I dropped it on the bathroom floor a few months ago. It was sad, but at least the bathroom smelled like a lovely tuberose garden for weeks!

Anyway, easy choice for me today!

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
I just remembered, Euphoria was the first scent I ever bought by wife, back when we were dating. She used it up, and more recently we bought a bottle for her sister. I still think it smells great.

Someone said it smelled like a mental image of pomegranate on a freshly polished mahogany table, or something like that. I liked that little tableau description.

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I did ended up wearing Alien Essence Absolue by Thierry Mugler in the evening. It is such a challenging scent for me, the jasmine just takes over. I think my skin amplifies it. I do love the myrrh/incense laced vanilla when the jasmine behaves enough for me to smell it. Yesterday, wasn't one of those days - will tried it again on a very cold day in winter!

So many of you smell the tuberose in Carnal Flower, I'm lucky to smell it for 30 minutes before it turns into a straight orange blossom and white musk scent. Oh well, that's the way it go sometimes....

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
I am in Pure Poison which is Ropion's work in collaboration with Carlos Benaim and Olivier Polge, according to Fragrantica. Basenotes only gives Benaim as a perfumer and I am sad if I am not in sync but I fully intended to be.
Warum, I have Pure Poison too and was just thinking the other day that it seemed like a Ropion scent, but then checked the directory page here on BN and saw it was attributed to Benaim. How serendipitous to find out Ropion had a hand in it after all!

It looking again, it seems Basenotes is the only site that does not attribute it to him. Fragrantica, Parfumo, Now Smell This, Cafleurebon etc. all do.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I'm also synching with Alien today, and used up the rest of my decant which is a fun milestone. I enjoyed wearing it but I probably won't replace the decant, there are so many lovely florals out there. My husband hates it and calls it "nuclear jasmine" which I think is accurate!
I agree with your husband!
Although to me it smells a lot like grape juice and a little like grape Skittles, too! It's very nice though - even if it sounds like I'm bashing it.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
After your review, I don’t know if CF could sink any lower. To me it’s thankfully not super sweet but Fracas is, which makes the latter lean more feminine to my nose and the former more unisex.
Oh, I should hope you wouldn’t feel the same as I! I did strive to stress my lack of objectivity regarding tuberose, and to nevertheless accord CF some credit. I may have failed.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Oh, I should hope you wouldn’t feel the same as I! I did strive to stress my lack of objectivity regarding tuberose, and to nevertheless accord CF some credit. I may have failed.

I find it almost impossible to judge the quality of a scent with any objectivity when I really dislike the smell of its basic materials, such as I do with tuberose, narcissus, muguet and neroli. It's like trying to judge whether a marinara sauce is well made if you really hate tomatoes; it's not a job you're really qualified to do.

purecaramel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 9, 2013
I find it almost impossible to judge the quality of a scent with any objectivity when I really dislike the smell of its basic materials, such as I do with tuberose, narcissus, muguet and neroli. It's like trying to judge whether a marinara sauce is well made if you really hate tomatoes; it's not a job you're really qualified to do.
With you on overdubbing on Tuberose and Neroli.
Narcissus and Muguet I greatly appreciate their severity in a scent.

Warum

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 4, 2010
It's like trying to judge whether a marinara sauce is well made if you really hate tomatoes; it's not a job you're really qualified to do.
Huge offtopic, but that is exactly why no one will ever hear me making any quality comments about marinara sauce.
I do like a little bit of heirloom tomatoes from the farmer's market though when they are in season.

Warum

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 4, 2010
Warum, I have Pure Poison too and was just thinking the other day that it seemed like a Ropion scent, but then checked the directory page here on BN and saw it was attributed to Benaim. How serendipitous to find out Ropion had a hand in it after all!

It looking again, it seems Basenotes is the only site that does not attribute it to him. Fragrantica, Parfumo, Now Smell This, Cafleurebon etc. all do.
Cool! Thank you for checking that - and happy belated BN anniversary!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Yes its my favourite too. I think its one of the best white floral fragances and I find it very wearable and addictive. Its one of fragrances I would buy again if my 50ml ever runs out
If you get a chance you should take a look at Rogue Perfumery. There's three tuberose creations: Champs Lunaires, Tuberose & Moss and Flos Mortis. My favorite is the Champs Lunaires as its a aromatic white tuberose scent. Refreshing it has a hint of citrus and coconut to support the tuberose florals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News