Synchronized Fridays 2021

ScentSensei

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 21, 2020
I am trying to participate more in Friday synchs...for pandemic nurturing scent it was easier to pick than I thought and I went with PS Fine Cologne! This is an ultimate comfort fragrance for me. I love the irony that it is also one of if not the most inexpensive bottles I have ever purchased. For some reason when I smell PS it's like the world just calms down for me a bit.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Lovely poem.

Thanks! Today was a good day for me to revisit that one! 🐕 💙 😄

For the sync, I am wearing Le Lion de Chanel. I wore it every Sunday for months when we hosted brunch outside on the patio for my son and his spouse. Because the pandemic was raging, we sat at separate tables to keep distance. I looked forward so much to those precious gatherings and associate Le Lion with those happy occasions.

I have still not sniffed Le Lion, but it will happen very soon, when I visit my Chanel rep! I'm trying to build up the anticipation, because I am certain I'll like it!

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I am trying to participate more in Friday synchs...for pandemic nurturing scent it was easier to pick than I thought and I went with PS Fine Cologne! This is an ultimate comfort fragrance for me. I love the irony that it is also one of if not the most inexpensive bottles I have ever purchased. For some reason when I smell PS it's like the world just calms down for me a bit.
There are some amazingly good cheapies out there! 🍺

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
As planned I’m going to sink down into some vintage Shalimar extrait.
There’s enough detail and power here to distract me, and distraction was a usual pandemic coping method.

I’m thinking there are others that could fit the bill, but these fragrances that have been around almost forever have a comforting stability just in their continued existence. And a particular bottle of juice that is still pumping after 60+ years, well that Inspires a sort of keep calm and carry on state of mind.

Last edited:

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I planned to wear Mon Guerlain in the evening after work before travelling to visit my parents... But in a hurry I forgot to put it on.
So instead I took out my rollerball of D&G Pour femme that always sits patiently in my bag to help me out in moments like this. It's not my favourite, but it's a truly lovely, sweet, slightly girly and dreamy strawberry-marshmallow-heliotrope-vanilla scent that is always comforting, cheerful and ready to help, so yeah, I think that was very symbolic and fitting to the theme: Life does not always go as planned, but it's so good to have that something to rely on - even if it's a sweet and cheery little scent that's always there for you.

Warum

Apr 4, 2010
I am in sync with Tom Ford Tobacco Oud and it’s still going strong and lovely.

In the very beginning of the year I pulled all my collection into the hatch I bought for that purpose. I wasn’t sure i knew how I felt about it any more - it felt like i received it as an inheritance from someone who loved me but was gone. So since the very beginning of 2020 I was learning about my collection anew. I found out that my tastes had changed.

Lockdown was announced on my birthday so all of my birthday plans got canceled. One of the first things I did was pull out all the samples and organize them. Somewhere along the lines I came across Tobacco Oud and I wore it several times. It made me realize that I can love a fragrance once again.

So I am very much in sync.

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
I am in sync with Tom Ford Tobacco Oud and it’s still going strong and lovely.

In the very beginning of the year I pulled all my collection into the hatch I bought for that purpose. I wasn’t sure i knew how I felt about it any more - it felt like i received it as an inheritance from someone who loved me but was gone. So since the very beginning of 2020 I was learning about my collection anew. I found out that my tastes had changed.

Lockdown was announced on my birthday so all of my birthday plans got canceled. One of the first things I did was pull out all the samples and organize them. Somewhere along the lines I came across Tobacco Oud and I wore it several times. It made me realize that I can love a fragrance once again.

So I am very much in sync.

Warum, I love hearing about your fragrance journey. ❤️

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I ended up wearing Coco Mademoiselle EDP Intense by Chanel as my evening scent. I do enjoy this scent but it isn't a top favourite. It was a gift and some of my newer acquired fragrances have pushed this perfume further down my favourites list! It does still spark happiness in me so it's a good scent and for me, the best in the Coco Mademoiselle range of scents.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Somewhere along the lines I came across Tobacco Oud and I wore it several times. It made me realize that I can love a fragrance once again.
TO is one of my favorite TFs.
And I love Janice Joplin too 🤗
My father was one of the producers of the musical, A Night with Janis Joplin.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
I exoerienced our pandemic themed Friday sync in much the same way as the year of pandemic lockdown...distractedly, puttering around the house testing samples, but not making any kind of self-conscious statement with my perfume. During the pandemic, I realized how much I associated fragrance with dressing to go OUT and choosing a perfume to match my expectations for the day.

There wasn’t a single perfume that.”nurtured” me during the pandemic but I would say my wardrobe certainly did. I developed a different relationship with my perfumes—more personal and idiosyncratic rather than public and performative. I enjoyed having the time to try perfumes I had neglected, play with my vast supply of perfume nips, explore samples of perfume ingredients, and chat about it here on BN with all of you lovely people.

I think these slippers actually got me through the pandemic...

DCCCD2FA-B6C5-495C-9A72-B3B3D9B50F5D.jpeg

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I got through the pandemic by trying a new fragrance virtually every day. So, I’ll be synching with another previously untried fragrance: Amouage Fate Woman.
So what do you think of it? I haven't tried that one yet.
My comments are in the Sample of the Day thread (in the General forum).

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Sjg3839’s Leather/Tobacco Day this Friday!

So get ready your finest (or not necessarily finest, most favourite is a good option too) leathers and tobaccos for Friday!

I love both of these and I have some choices to make. :)

For now, I was pre-synching all this week by wearing Alaia by Azzedine Alaia - an airy and slightly ozonic leather fragrance.
Oh, and I also wore Vibrant Leather for her by Zara from the new tall bottle on Monday - and it's a beautiful fruity leather/fruitchouli, very light, refreshing, elegant and slightly tart. A great find!

teardrop

Sep 1, 2010
Tobacco & leather are not well-represented in my wardrobe, (apart from a decant of Chergui, which l think of as cherry tobacco) but l do have a few options in my collection of samples:

Three of these are by Neil Morris:
Chasing Autumn, which lists leather but l get a smoky tobacco note.
Midnight at the Crossroads Cafe lists leather although it's more animal fur to my nose.
Sherlock, which smells strongly of pipe tobacco to me although it's not listed as a note.

l also have Club Design by The Zoo, which is mainly leather but which produces a weirdly ambivalent reaction in me. l'm not sure l could handle wearing it for work!

Then there's Mona di Orio's Cuir, which l dislike as it smells to me like burning meat.

ln fact all of these would be challenging for me to wear at work, except perhaps Chergui, but l don't really want to play it safe. This will be a tough decision! :unsure:

justfoxie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 23, 2018
Oooh another week where I'm spoiled for choice!

I could play it safe with Cobra & Canary (Imaginary Authors), Tobak (Maya Njie) or Tobacco Nuit (Atelier Cologne), Feuilles de Tabac (Miller Harris)

Or I could go ultra bold/weird with Vi et Armis (Beaufort), Hyde (Hiram Green - it doesn't have leather or tobacco in the notes, but I definitely get a bit of both), Purple Leather (Roos & Roos) or the infamous T-Rex (Zoologist). I think I might even have a sample of their Rhinocerous somewhere.

Maybe Second Skin by Anna Zworykina would be a good compromise? Unusual but with a quite low projection.

and then there's that sample of Chergui I intended to try for the Lutens synch, but showed up too late. . .

:unsure:

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
Tobacco OR leather?

Tobacco AND leather? (in many perfumes, these notes shade into each other...)

I have many good vintage choices, and we’ll see what suggests itself on Friday. When it comes to a tobacco scent, I definitely prefer warmer pipe tobacco over ashy cigarette notes. I got cigarette ash in both Iris Cendre and Jasmin et Cigarette, sadly.

@teardrop...You mentioned Neil Morris’ Chasing Autumn (2014) and reminded me that this was one of the smokiest dang scents I have ever tested. Not tobacco, just clouds of smoke.

Similarly, I prefer leather notes that suggest flesh and skin—even a gasoline soaked chamois will do (Knize Ten)—or the kind of “leather” found in green chypres, which is primarily based on isobutyl quinoline. IBQ-based leathers (Bandit, Cabochard, Azuree, Aramis) are probably my favorite subgenre of all, and oddly enough, they really don’t evoke the smell of natural leather for me very much. I had to learn that the IBQ accord was what people were calling leather. IBQ beautifully complements the galbanum, oakmoss, patchouli, and vetiver also typically found in these perfumes.

If the leather turns into plastic or, heaven forfend!, RUBBER or LATEX, I’m out. I used to have a deep aversion of “doll head notes” - the smell of a rubbery doll head infused with vanilla, like the original Cabbage Patch dolls—but I have mastered this fear enough to try some scents that suggest this accord...like Gucci Rush and Lolita Lempicka. Still want to try vintage Tocade and Lou Lou now that I am not so afeared of The Doll Head..

I think the most terrifying OG rubber and cigarette ash scent of all is Habanita...I still can’t wear it.

Nov 20, 2017
So many choices this week, and it depends on how well I feel after getting my covid booster on Thursday. Leather is a note well-represented in my collection; tobacco less so.
Do I sample ? Mona di Orio Cuir, Tauer Lonestar Memories, Hiram Green Hyde, Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur, TF Ombre Leather
Or stick to FBs ? Hermes Bel Ami, Etro Gomma, Knize Knize Ten, Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo, Gucci Guilty Absolute pH, Puig Quorum.
Not to mention the decants that I always forget : Dior Fahrenheit (twofer opportunity with Fahrenheit Friday), Chanel Antaeus, Pascal Morabito Or Black, RL Polo.

Last edited:

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Similarly, I prefer leather notes that suggest flesh and skin—even a gasoline soaked chamois will do (Knize Ten)—or the kind of “leather” found in green chypres, which is primarily based on isobutyl quinoline. IBQ-based leathers (Bandit, Cabochard, Azuree, Aramis) are probably my favorite subgenre of all, and oddly enough, they really don’t evoke the smell of natural leather for me very much. I had to learn that the IBQ accord was what people were calling leather. IBQ beautifully complements the galbanum, oakmoss, patchouli, and vetiver also typically found in these perfumes.

If the leather turns into plastic or, heaven forfend!, RUBBER or LATEX, I’m out. I used to have a deep aversion of “doll head notes” - the smell of a rubbery doll head infused with vanilla, like the original Cabbage Patch dolls—but I have mastered this fear enough to try some scents that suggest this accord...like Gucci Rush and Lolita Lempicka. Still want to try vintage Tocade and Lou Lou now that I am not so afeared of The Doll Head..

I think the most terrifying OG rubber and cigarette ash scent of all is Habanita...I still can’t wear it.
Hmmm, let's see... I adore Habanita and really like Lolita Lempicka and Rush! Although I liked Bandit... but I would find it hard to wear. I am afraid of Azuree and Aramis as I feel I would dislike them, and I found Cabochard and Tocade seriously underwhelming, and Lou-Lou is So-So to me (I liked the drydown and the woody parts). Thus I think Tocade and LouLou are safe for you to try since our tastes seem pretty opposite. :D

Interesting info on isobutyl quinoline. I should probably try to smell more scents with it as I also failed to get any leather in Cabochard - it's all musty/damp galbanum with flowers, citrus and moss to me. I think I did smell leather in Bandit, but it might have been power of suggestion, too.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
Hmmm, let's see... I adore Habanita and really like Lolita Lempicka and Rush! Although I liked Bandit... but I would find it hard to wear. I am afraid of Azuree and Aramis as I feel I would dislike them, and I found Cabochard and Tocade seriously underwhelming, and Lou-Lou is So-So to me (I liked the drydown and the woody parts). Thus I think Tocade and LouLou are safe for you to try since our tastes seem pretty opposite. :D

Interesting info on isobutyl quinoline. I should probably try to smell more scents with it as I also failed to get any leather in Cabochard - it's all musty/damp galbanum with flowers, citrus and moss to me. I think I did smell leather in Bandit, but it might have been power of suggestion, too.
I think we may be polar opposites with regards to scent! (I saw your post about disliking galbanum and all I could think of was...WAUGH! HOW?! WHY?! Galbanum smells great to me!) Love musty oakmoss too..

Which Habanita do you enjoy wearing? Don’t laugh, but I have purchased multiple bottles of Habanita—2 versions of the vintage EDT as well as the current EDP, and I haven’t been able to wear any of them. I secretly (and irrationally) believe that if I could find a perfect bottle of the vintage extrait, like the one below, then I might be able to enjoy Habanita. This is a delusion.

6161B85E-6D87-4A76-AB3C-B9C3C0C2C3E2.jpeg

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I think we may be polar opposites with regards to scent! (I saw your post about disliking galbanum and all I could think of was...WAUGH! HOW?! WHY?! Galbanum smells great to me!) Love musty oakmoss too..

Which Habanita do you enjoy wearing? Don’t laugh, but I have purchased multiple bottles of Habanita—2 versions of the vintage EDT as well as the current EDP, and I haven’t been able to wear any of them. I secretly (and irrationally) believe that if I could find a perfect bottle of the vintage extrait, like the one below, then I might be able to enjoy Habanita. This is a delusion.

View attachment 176383
I have and enjoy the current EDP. I just don't get all these horrors you and Cook.bot smell in it, to me it's a beautiful powdery, spicy and slightly chalky tobacco scent. A bit oldschool, a bit mature, but in a very contemporary tomboyish way. I don't know, maybe different noses are wired for different things as I really hoped to like No.19 and Cabochard, but I just can't get over the mustiness, I think I either like my perfumes bright and zesty or spicy/balmy/sweet, and the green and chypre-ish stuff just feels kind of... off to me - at least so far. Maybe you dislike that powdery chalkiness of Habanita?

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
I have and enjoy the current EDP. I just don't get all these horrors you and Cook.bot smell in it, to me it's a beautiful powdery, spicy and slightly chalky tobacco scent. A bit oldschool, a bit mature, but in a very contemporary tomboyish way. I don't know, maybe different noses are wired for different things as I really hoped to like No.19 and Cabochard, but I just can't get over the mustiness, I think I either like my perfumes bright and zesty or spicy/balmy/sweet, and the green and chypre-ish stuff just feels kind of... off to me - at least so far. Maybe you dislike that powdery chalkiness of Habanita?
I definitely get baby powder in Habanita along with tobacco andnthe doll head (or bandaid), depending on the day. Not sure that I get “chalkiness” but I should try the EDP again.

As for the “horrors of Habanita” or, in your case, the “Grimness of Galbanum,” in addition to our having different preferences, It may very well be that we smell differently. People don’t taste the same things in the same ways—some are more sensitive to bitterness or sourness or spiciness—and I think the same is true for scent.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
the kind of “leather” found in green chypres, which is primarily based on isobutyl quinoline. IBQ-based leathers (Bandit, Cabochard, Azuree, Aramis) are probably my favorite subgenre of all,

Isn't Bandit more of a birch tar leather? I can't handle it at all, but love all the others you grouped with it.

If the leather turns into plastic or, heaven forfend!, RUBBER or LATEX, I’m out.

Sing it, Sis. Add petrol to that list for me, can't abide it. I was flummoxed by the popularity of Bvlgari Black. I wanted to love Gucci Guilty Absolute but the gasoline in it just wrecked me. The "doll head" smell usually manifests for me just as a powdery vanilla, so it's not repellent to me.

Ditto. But I keep feeling like I SHOULD love it.

I think I'm softening up in my old age, because more and more I'm attracted to the soft, suede-like leathers, such as in Bottega Veneta and several of the osmanthus perfumes.

But for this sync I think I'm going to go old school tobacco and leather and bust out the vintage Havana for the first time in a long time.

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
Leather and tobacco is one of my favorite combos, so this Friday might be a difficult choice. I'm leaning towards an all-time favorite, which is Creed Vintage Tabarome. That one feels perfect for the occasion.
untitled-2_1_7.jpg

Darjeeling

Oct 29, 2012
I'm currently sweating in a tank top so it's hard to think of wearing leather/tobacco, although tomorrow will be cooler and stormier.

I guess Sel Marin lists leather in the base so I'm covered even for hot and humid weather. Guerlain Vetiver would be a good tobacco choice in these conditions if I owned it. I guess I'll see how the weather feels tomorrow.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
Isn't Bandit more of a birch tar leather? I can't handle it at all, but love all the others you grouped with it.
I take your point, but I still get the IBQ in both the vintage and current versions.
.But for this sync I think I'm going to go old school tobacco and leather and bust out the vintage Havana for the first time in a long time.
Do you mean this Havana Pour Elle? I was just reading old reviews of it, and it sounds appealing. Or just Havana (Pour Anyone?)

E5B7AB6E-C5C7-489F-98E8-8F1F57C0FC58.jpeg

justfoxie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 23, 2018
^^ I often feel guilty about us being so Northern Hemisphere-centric around here.
I'm really hoping that the suggestions to make the synchs more inclusive next year help.

@Darjeeling - I often wear Cobra & Canary in hot weather if that helps as a suggest at all? I find the inclusion of lemon brightens it up a lot. Maybe others have suggestions for hot weather leather/tobacco?

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I'm starting with a fragrance that has a leather note in it - Moonlight Patchouli by VC&A. Although the fragrance name has patchouli in it, there are other notes that are very noticeable in this scent including leather. This is one of my all year round scents. I will happily wear this in summer except for the extreme heat days (35C or above).
  1. Top Notes​

2. Heart Notes​

3. Base Notes​

Latest News