Synchronized Fridays 2021

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
It’s going to have to be either LPRN Eau Fraiche (green juice), which I had just bought before we locked down, or Labdanum 18, which was my most worn during the long, lonely winter.
I thought for sure you would say "L" de Lolita Lempicka.

All I know is Unknown Pleasures by House of Kerosene was my #1 Most Worn in 2020. I might revisit Tigrushka's Stats thread to see if there were any others.

Yeah, it seemed like there was a looong stretch last year when you wore nothing but Kerosene products.

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
Yeah, it seemed like there was a looong stretch last year when you wore nothing but Kerosene products.

OK, I just checked Tigrushka's Most Worn threads from March 2020 through February 2021. I wore massive amounts of Kerosene perfumes: Unknown Pleasures, Winter of 99, and Copper Skies. I also bought Le Lion de Chanel when it first launched and wore it weekly for Sunday brunches on the back patio during Covid distancing. The Kerosenes are gourmands, which are comforting. Le Lion is a BIG perfume and, for me, a happy celebration one. On Friday, I will choose one of them in accordance with my mood.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Since no specific fragrance got me through (at least to difficult to narrow down, even more so among a quite even/predictable average value of wears) as much as the current lineup as whole, might choose almost anything in order to simply join and enjoy the sync

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I'm going with Eau Rose by Diptyque. It's my top most worn scent ever and for 2020, it's also my most worn scent (so far) this year as well. It's not a complex masterpiece scent but if there was an award for "perfect in it's simplicity" then for me, Eau Rose would win it by a landslide! I love how different supporting notes will become noticeable in varying weather conditions, there's even a difference between dry heat and extreme dry heat. There's a wonderful green note that joins the rose in extremely dry heat (below 15% humidity) for the first few hours. On some days in autumn and spring, it can turn very powdery, the rest of the time, there is not even a hint of powder in it.

I also reached for Coco Mademoiselle EDP Intense during lockdowns but it's a happy/put a smile on your face type of scent for me and I don't find it nurturing.

Nov 20, 2017
During the pandemic, I have suffered from insomnia, and worn scents at night that I find comforting or helpful for sleep :
Guerlain L'Heure Bleue EdP and Prada Infusion d'Iris Eau de Parfum Absolue; (two of a kind, pillowy iris, violet etc)
Etro Heliotrope (marzipan)
Others less explicable, but which also work for sleep : CdG Black; Perfume Authentic 1951 (clone of something by Amouage, allegedly Opus V, but the opening smells like Interlude, and the ambery drydown is rather good)

Last edited:

Kotori

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
I thought for sure you would say "L" de Lolita Lempicka.

Man, you know me too well! But it’s such a happy special occasion fall and winter scent for me… I think I didn’t want to ruin it. The whole lockdown period and summer and fall after we’re just so hard for me. Toxic overworking narcissist boss, kids both home the whole time, health issues and injuries… Labdanum 18 had that cooling medicinal quality that felt like medicine.

Darjeeling

Oct 29, 2012
I have a rare lunch outing so I'm wearing what I'd consider a summer comfort fragrance - Clean Reserve Acqua Neroli.
Nothing like a soapy neroli EdC style scent in warm weather. It's a bit rainy and humid today, but I'm wearing a linen shirt, which I usually pair with these kinds of scents or a soapy iris.
I decided this was a better option than the no scent thing that has carried me through the pandemic.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Did a pre-sync with Gucci Pour Homme. I reached for a lot of classics during the Covid lockdown last year.
375x500.6831.jpg

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Just like I planned, I am wearing Alaia (body cream + a few dabs from a mini) and Alaia Nude together. They're both my most worn scents this year.
In the evening I will put on Mon Guerlain EDT which is one of my most comforting scents, and both lavender and vanilla have helped me go through a lot of bullshit moods.

I like this synch, it's a good opportunity to look back and see what you were seeking for and what has helped you.

Puma

Dec 7, 2013
Wish I could say the scent brought me through the pandemic... but I am requiring its help even more than ever:

Vanille West Indies by St. Barth
vanille-west-indies-parfum.png
Intoxicating, bewitching, enchanting, so soothing ... I put it on before going to bed. It instantaneously relieves me from any sorrowful mood. Sweet dreams are guaranteed. It's my go-to elixir, for external use only. Best blind buy ever.

Last edited:

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Wish I could say the scent brought me through the pandemic... but I am requiring it's help even more than ever:

Vanille West Indies by St. Barth
View attachment 175893
Intoxicating, bewitching, enchanting, so soothing ... I put it on before going to bed. It instantaneously relieves me from any sorrowful mood. Sweet dreams are guaranteed. It's my go-to elixir, for external use only. Best blind buy ever.
I actually liked this one for a vanilla scent, although it didn't last long after applying.

teardrop

Sep 1, 2010
l decided on Smuggler's Soul for today. lt didn't get me through the pandemic as such, but it became my "studying scent" & got me through working on my degree. l wore it for classroom days at Uni pre-pandemic, & also for studying/writing at home, & later in the library when it re-opened. Sandalwood helps me stay calm & focussed, & this one is subtle enough to wear around others without overpowering them.

As with all Lush/Gorilla Perfumes, this solid perfume has a "use by" date, & mine is long past that, but it hasn't gone rancid & still smells great! :)

Jun 2, 2018
I am similar to some here in that I spent the pandemic exploring samples and feeling more free with fragrance, since I didn't have to go into the office which is a no fragrance zone. My husband and I would play Sample Roulette every morning to decide what we would wear which ended up being a fun way to revisit samples and also to use them up (we had like 200 of them pre-pandemic).

Today I'm in sync with Kiehl's Original Musk, which has always felt like the most comforting scent, like your skin but better, and the sheets after you've slept in them.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
My entire collection, samples and all, was a comfort to me that helped during lockdown. Just, like, it's existence. The ability to wear and explore scents became that much more meaningful in the absence of other stimulus.

So I'm just wearing a semi-random SOTD today, Papillon Dryad, the comfy soft green earthy chypre. It is centering...Liz has a way with outdoorsy tones, which I find particularly comforting.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Now wearing YSL L'Homme. This is one of the first fragrances I bought as a Basenoter - and I bought it for a spontaneous sync that we had after YSL died in 2008. It is also probably one of the first fragrances that I bought - at least in a department store - after the pandemic. I wanted to get a big fresh bottle to preserve my "vintage".

The explanation is complicated. I had to "work my way back into fragrance" as I regained pulmonary function, and it turned out that certain fragrances worked better than others for that. YSL L'Homme was one of them. The new Perry Ellis For Men, the new Givenchy Gentleman, and a bunch of other modern, clear, "medicinal" fougeres were well-tolerated. Spicy, strongly floral, ambery, and other types of fare were things I had to work back into. My sense of smell was changed irrevocably. Galop went from "just right" to "overpowering cough-inducer", but wispy alcoholic things like the new Perry Ellis, nearly a sports fragrance, were the new "just right". I borrowed a Bigsly trick and sprayed my feet or ankles to keep the source far away from my breathing, to tame these formerly "weak" fragrances back from their new powerhouse status.

I worked my way back into my collection, and I noticed that the fragrances HELPED my breathing function return to what I regarded as normal. They seemed to provoke more lung moisture - they had a mild expectorant activity - really perfect. I felt very lucky.

Eventually, I felt like I could sniff almost anything, even if my choices in what I wanted to wear had shifted. and thus discuss it again to some degree.

After I bought my big fresh bottle of L'Homme, I wore it continuously, loving it, and knew I made a good buy! :love:

My sense of smell will probably never be the same. It's not terrible, but it's not consistent, and it's been "de-trained". I have to fight harder to smell things at an advanced level. But I get better each day! Coming here and talking about fragrance really helps. So thank you all for helping me! ❤️

Italia

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
For my first Friday Synch-up, I went with DSH Perfumes Fou d’Opium, Dawn’s homage to the (original) version of Opium parfum.

I have worn perfume daily throughout the pandemic - it has helped me retain a sense of normalcy and routine in ‘not-normal’ times - so while I could have selected many fragrances for this synch-up, this one does get a lot of wear by me (this is my 2nd bottle of it). It’s gorgeous.

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
My pandemic scent is l'Artisan Drôle de Rose. It's not a comfort scent in the traditional sense, but during lockdowns in the dead of winter, when it was -30 deg C and dark by 4:30pm, it's light-hearted, cheerful nature served to lift my spirits. Last February I wore it almost exclusively.

l'Artisan discontinued Drôle de Rose sometime in the past couple years, around the same time Dzing! was discontinued. I feel my current bottle is enough and won't be seeking any back-ups, but am still disappointed to see it no longer available. It was a landmark fragrance when it was released in 1996 - the first real lipstick/cosmetics perfume, after which many more followed. Hard to believe it's 25 years old.

If I had the energy and necessary props, I would have set up this photo on a vintage dressing table, the bottle surrounded by lipsticks and powder puffs. As I have neither, this one will have to do:

drolederose1.jpeg

Happy Friday everyone!

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
For the sync, I am wearing Le Lion de Chanel. I wore it every Sunday for months when we hosted brunch outside on the patio for my son and his spouse. Because the pandemic was raging, we sat at separate tables to keep distance. I looked forward so much to those precious gatherings and associate Le Lion with those happy occasions.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Anyone know how to pull up your "Most worn of all time" stats, or did we lose that feature in the upgrade? I can only find them up to last quarter.
During quarantine I revisited unloved bottles mostly.

If you go to Wardrobe and click the "Collection" menu option, then set the sort dropdown to "wears", you should see it:

1637342271900.png

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Yeah, it's a shame. There was some discussion about it on the forums and reactions were the same as yours. A masterpiece fragrance - there's nothing else out there really like it.

It's such a joyful fragrance. On topic...it would have made a great pandemic comfort scent, though I don't think I wore any more than usual at the time. I cannot help but smile and feel happy when I put it on.

Seems like it was taken for granted a bit and fell of the radar, but I can think of few scents that achieved such a blend of artistic clarity, creativity, joyfulness that isn't trite, and easy wearability. One of the best executions of "barnyard" ever. Maybe the best.

Latest News