Synchronized Fridays 2021

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
The realistic answer for me is Axe Kilo body spray.

Although my daughters were appalled (or pretended to be), I thought it was kind of cool when the boys began wearing Axe in their high school. I don’t remember ANY boy wearing scent back in my day. It’s nice that boys feel that they can wear scent today.
Okay, one more and then I'll stop. I was reading the Second Daughter's college newspaper (she's on staff) and found this really sweet essay. Perhaps you will enjoy reading about "good boy cologne" too!

https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2021/10/14/good-boy-cologne/

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I went with YSL Black Opium which is the first big perfume love that started it all and made me join Basenotes.

Alice, I recently read your directory review of Black Opium, and it was really touching, like a eulogy for something you'd loved but had left behind. I think we've all been there, whether it's with a perfume or a person or a place, and you expressed that bittersweet recognition very well.

The first perfumes that I remember loving were contained in the “Woods” version of the 1970’s Sweet Earth solid perfume palettes...sandalwood, amberwood, and patchouli.

@grayspoole, OMG -- I hadn't thought about those solid Coty perfumes in decades! I adored those things when they were THE hot item in the drugstores. The woody ones were especially delicious, they reminded me of Woodhue by Faberge, an adolescent favorite of mine. I took a look on eBay just now and was reminded there was also one that was hay and clover scents -- and it sold recently for almost $100.

So glad you brought that memory back!

Last edited:

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
I ended up going with Escada Magnetism today.

My aforementioned Axe explorations aside, Magnetism and YSL Live Jazz were the first scents that helped appreciate the artistic side of this hobby at a deeper level. They opened my eyes to the breadth of notes and textures that perfumers can work with, and the joy of mapping out that terrain. Live Jazz shocked me at the time with its crystal clear minty citrus cilantro, and then Magnetism blew by mind with fizzy saffron and florals against a resinous leathery amber. I had never smelled anything remotely like that. It's a great example of synthetics used to wonderful artistic effect, and still smells like nothing else I know of. Shame is was discontinued! I acquired a mini and remembered to wear it today.

It has been about 15 years since I wore Magnetism regularly, and my wife still remembers it clearly and associates it with our early years together. When we were both studying abroad, I remember sending her a care package, the contents scented with Magnetism. Amazing how powerfully scent memories stick with us!

Last edited:

LauraH

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 24, 2021
I'd enjoyed other perfumes before, but when I first started trying to learn about perfume and smell samples of all the "important" perfumes, the one that blew my mind the most was definitely Angel. I could immediately understand why it was so innovative when it came out and why this really quite weird fragrance managed to appeal to so many people. I also find it an oddly comforting scent, and I wear it any time I need a mood boost.

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
My first “real” perfume as a teen (other than a bottle of Gap Dream) was Gucci Rush. I smelled it in a magazine strip when it came out in 1999 and immediately decided I had to have it, but after buying it I rarely wore it. Rush was amazing but wasn’t an easy perfume to wear, especially during the day, and it ended up mostly sitting on my dresser unworn for the next several years.

Ten years later, I was interested in buying a new bottle of perfume, but wanted to do a bit of research first, to try to avoid making the mistake I made with Rush. I went online and found Basenotes, then through BN I found out about Perfumes: the Guide, which had been published the previous year. At the time it was pretty much dominating the discussion on BN. One of the first perfumes I sampled and bought after reading the Guide was the original Lolita Lempicka. I was still relatively young (under 30) and I remember going down to The Bay and buying a 3-piece-set that included a 50ml bottle of perfume, a bottle of shower gel, and a 5ml mini. I have no idea what happened to the shower gel and mini - they were lost several years ago, so I only have the 50ml bottle of perfume left.

Since I no longer have the Gucci Rush (I actually gave it away in the Women’s giveaway thread here on BN several years ago) I am going to go with Lolita Lempicka as my SOTD. Today I wouldn’t call it one of my favorites - I don’t plan on replacing it once my bottle is finished - but it was one of the first perfumes I sampled that I thought was on another level compositionally, and it didn’t smell like anything else I’d ever tried.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Easy one for me today. I received a bottle as a gift many years ago having had little interest in fragrance. I was blown away and decided to research the brand further. Years later I'm still on the website that has been the inspiration for so many purchases. I'm going with the fragrance that brought me to Basenotes. Applaud it or curse it as you see fit :D

creed-green-irish-tweed-eau-de-parfum-100ml.jpg
This one of the first Creeds that I sampled and enjoyed. Ah those first time experiences, you can't get those back.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
This sync is prompting the posting of such interesting back stories. I’ve really enjoyed reading the personal histories of fragrance fascination and the tender snapshot memories that are being shared.

For today I chose vintage Ecusson Cologne Parfumee by D’Albret.
I don’t remember a specific fragrance that made me start wearing perfume everyday as if it were just a necessary part of my skin. I just know that one day I couldn’t get enough, and that day came during a particularly difficult time. Since then my perfume appreciation comes from a more positive and affirming place. So even though my scent of the day may not be the specific one that supercharged my interest in perfume, nor is it my favorite perfume, it is my earliest perfume memory and one that lives so indelibly in my brain that it reminds to always appreciate the power of scent.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Joning in with Boucheron PH.
While not the first fragrance did own, wear and enjoy, still among the first masculine EDPs did ever discover and happen to wish owning almost 2 decades after the first samplings.
Therefore while the current bottle is not vintage yet, this fragrance choice was put into practice after a very lengthy and always top notch
(re) testing experience, drawn out over multiple years.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
A thought-provoking topic! I’ve always enjoyed perfumes but it was a long time before I was able to indulge my passion and learn about them.

The first perfumes that I remember loving were contained in the “Woods” version of the 1970’s Sweet Earth solid perfume palettes...sandalwood, amberwood, and patchouli. These solid perfumes were richly scented (I remember that you just needed a tiny dab) and I just adored them. In retrospect, I think it is a little odd that I was wearing these woody/incense notes instead of Love’s Baby Soft but I guess I was just a weird kid.

View attachment 172232
I loved these solids and remember using a bobby pin to scrape out the last bit.

Warum

Apr 4, 2010
I am almost in sync, or maybe not. See for yourselves:

The perfume that drove me down the rabbit hole was Pure White Linen by Esteé Lauder.
87e7b835-7227-4b33-b0dc-4247a6b6ca27_1.f93aa29b98c5628498f63e86b20fd22f.jpeg

I'm not wearing it, but I am wearing vintage White Linen, and this shows both where I started from and how my taste has evolved.
m44850809106_1.jpg

(photos aren't mine)

Happy sync-ing! It's fun to read what brought everyone to Basenotes.
I miss Evangeline too.

And I had perfumes before I became obsessed with Pure White Linen, and I love and appreciate some of these perfumes from the "quiet era" before Basenotes more than ever. I still have a tiny bottle of 1985 Poison extrait. My little bottle of Yvresse is empty but I did buy a large bottle before it changed (and I hope never be without it). But as much as I love them they are not the ones who started all the online reading and commotion for me. Pure White Linen takes the cake for that, no matter what I think about this fragrance today.

Last edited:

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
For my final sync fragrance, I chose Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company.

Sel_de_Vetiver_Store.png

This was the fragrance that really pushed me over the edge to become a Basenoter. I was just starting out, and had read Chandler Burr's The Perfect Scent. I got a bunch of samples from L'Artisan Parfumeur as part of my order of L'Eau de Jatamansi, and I got the full set of TDC samples to see why Chandler was raving about SdV. Those two houses really clicked with me, but Sel de Vetiver, more than any of them, really wowed me. I can even play music I was listening to back then, and a lightbulb comes on - "Sel de Vetiver!"

Oddly, later, SdV appeared in Chandler's Untitled series, but the labels got mixed up on OpenSky, between SdV / Isle Ryder and S01E09 / S01E10. And all that confusion, recorded in BN threads, is lost in the Huddler Archive, to complicate things even further. I did a blog post about the mix-up, and unfortunately some of the images in the post are lost to time, so I had to do some surgery on the post just now. ALWAYS download and upload photos - image links simply cannot be trusted.

And there we are. Sel de Vetiver. I'm wearing it now, and it's AWESOME!!! :love:

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
76FD24EF-5B6D-47CC-AD10-111E02C1A0D9.jpeg

Crown Perfumery - Park Royal

Watching the film of my long courtship with my beloved in search of the moment I fell in love, I would say,

“I fell in love here. No, here. Ah, it was here. No, it was here!…”

…and so on, ad infinitum. Falling in love, so often described as an event tied to a moment—like the first time you taste chocolate, or have an orgasm—is, in truth, more an endless process of discovery. You venture into a rabbit hole of initial fascination, and you never reach the bottom: you just go deeper and deeper, until you can’t recall ever having been out of love.

I am still falling. Gravity has a finite center. Love has no such limitation.

I couldn’t really say which fragrance cemented my passion for scent. Each new discovery is another twist in the rabbit hole. But I do know I was inspired by Clive Christian 1872’s roots in Crown Perfumery to seek out the originals (or as close to them as I could get). Sandringham, the purported inspiration for 1872, is perhaps the most elegant of the masculines, but my heart is more drawn to the earthy, clove-rich funk of Park Royal. I fell in love here. No, here…

Last edited:

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Somehow at least considering to continue the sync, at least by the standards of vintage Old Spice in EDT concentration.
Incidentally while not among the very first, still quite highly ranked/rated within the scents did ever fully acknowledge back then among the main classic incentives-especially but not only around the times did first discover great male classics.

Latest posts

Latest News