Synchronized Fridays 2021

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
73C44C44-CD98-48C6-B72D-BB42CCA2338F.jpeg

Given my current drive to snort my way through some 600-odd samples, my poor organization thereof, and my unrepentant adoration of bad puns, I’m going with Olympic Orchids’ “Cryptical Envelopment.” (The Grateful Dead tie-in enhances the punniness, but I’m trying to ignore it as I hate the Dead.) I was looking for my samples of Devilscent 2 and, of course, Cadavre Exquis, but they’ll just have to wait until their numbers come up by natural causes.

Tonight, perhaps Lucifer, but we’ll see if anything else comes to mind.

RHM

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 18, 2005
Well....I started the day in Andy Tauer's Attar AT. Notes are: Animalic leather, birchtar, Java vetiver, dark dry woods, sandalwood, hints of Jasmine, cistus, and castoreum. So I thought, ok, this will work! Boy was I wrong. The ED for our facility walked by my desk & said "Do you smell bug spray? I thought the exterminator was here a couple of days ago."

I'm now safely in sync wearing Zoologist original Bat.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I went with Guerlain Djedi. It makes me think of the Egyptian Mummies. Not quite graveyard related but I don't think its too far off.
375x500.11847.jpg

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to come up with a perfume to fulfill this week's theme: the fragrance that made you fall in love with perfumes.

I don't seem to be able to pinpoint one particular perfume that caused that kind of epiphany for me.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to come up with a perfume to fulfill this week's theme: the fragrance that made you fall in love with perfumes.

I don't seem to be able to pinpoint one particular perfume that caused that kind of epiphany for me.
There needs to be a question where the answer for you is Eau d'Hermès!

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019

Or it could be another opportunity to celebrate autumn and wear Sycomore EDT!

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012

Or it could be another opportunity to celebrate autumn and wear Sycomore EDT!
Although both of those are my top two scents, I discovered them both after I had become obsessed with the Roudnitska Diors and started collecting them. So I guess the true answer for me is Diorella. We'll see if a better answer occurs to me before Friday.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
The realistic answer for me is Axe Kilo body spray.

As a high schooler, my proclivity toward fragrance was awakened by discovering that I loved testing and assessing body sprays and deodorants, which were the only fragrant products I was exposed to at the time. I remember landing on Axe Kilo as my signature.

That said, 1) I don’t have and wouldn’t wear an Axe at this point, and 2) I don’t think Kilo even exists any longer.

So, I’m stuck. Maybe YSL Live Jazz :) my first “real” scent, post body spray phase.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
My first "signature scent" was Le Mâle, so I could wear that—it's been a while!—but collecting came about later when I traced the roots of Clive Christian's 1872 to Crown Perfumery. So, perhaps 1872, or perhaps a Crown.

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008

As a high schooler, my proclivity toward fragrance was awakened by discovering that I loved testing and assessing body sprays and deodorants, which were the only fragrant products I was exposed to at the time. I remember landing on Axe Kilo as my signature.

That said, 1) I don’t have and wouldn’t wear an Axe at this point, and 2) I don’t think Kilo even exists any longer.

So, I’m stuck. Maybe YSL Live Jazz :) my first “real” scent, post body spray phase.
I just checked my vintage Axe collection, and lo and behold, I have a large can of vintage Kilo, batch number 83109493. May be a 2010 can.

Gave it a nice review, too, back in December of 2017!

teardrop

Sep 1, 2010
This is a tricky one for me, too. Some of my earliest memories involve collecting part-used bottles from jumble sales, or pestering the Avon lady to let me try everything when she visited my mum. My first "grown up" perfume was Magie Noire at the tender age of seventeen, & l do have a decant of the vintage, but l won't be wearing that for work. The one that brought me to basenotes was Tuberose Gardenia, but it feels like the wrong time of year for that.

Decisions, decisions....

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Have quite a few options-including vintage ones-for a SOTD choice.
Ideally but also hopefully to mark and provide an image/rendition quite faithful and close to, if not to the very first, at least among the first scent (s) did ever discover, wear and enjoy.

incense+heliotrope

Nov 20, 2017
Bottle long since finished; long disco'd : Body Shop Vetyver. 'you smell like an old church'. 'Good', I thought.
Then I bought (and still have) Vetiver EO : wtf is this dark stuff ? gimme more of it
Armani Eau pH : first FB purchase of a designer. Oh the sprezzatura, swanning around Edinburgh in a beige linen suit, white linen shirt, etc.... Why did I not buy a second bottle back then ?

Penhaligon's Elixir. Smelling somewhat like an old church again, today. Love at first sniff.

Last edited:

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
When I was in high school, my family was very poor and I had a close friend whose family was very wealthy -- or so it seemed to me at the time; today they might be considered just upper middle class. My friend, Terry, had her own credit cards to department stores, was allowed to order her own bedroom furniture from Spain, and was given a car for her 16th birthday, when my parents couldn't afford a bicycle for me. Terry bought us tickets to concerts and plays and sporting events, and drove us into San Francisco from the suburbs to hang out on the weekends in North Beach, pretending to be bohemians.

Our paths diverged after school, and we lost touch. But 30 years later, when I began to think about perfume as more than just a cosmetic accessory, I started an online search for vintage bottles of Hermès Calèche, the first perfume I had ever bought for myself as an adult with my own paycheck. And in my search I stumbled across a picture of an oval pefume bottle with a label trimmed in black and white houndstooth patterns. Suddenly I had a vivid recollection of Terry's bedroom, with its rustic Spanish chest of drawers next to a wall poster of the dancer Rudolf Nureyev, and on top of that chest I could clearly see that oval bottle and its houndstooth label.

I bought it. It was Diorella. I spent a long time trying to convince myself that what I was smelling in it was transporting me back to those teenage years and my infatuation with my friend's posh life, but I was wrong. Falling in love with Diorella led me to learn about its creator and its siblings at the House of Dior, and when I finally got around to Miss Dior, that was the one. That was the smell of Terry and her enviable bedroom and her house with its swimming pool on the grounds of a country club.

So Diorella gets the credit for inspiring my perfume awakening, even though she was holding the door open for Miss Dior. But I couldn't have known that at the time.

Diorella_EDT_WideBottle.jpg

Last edited:

Darjeeling

Oct 29, 2012
I meant to wear Tam Dao EdT today as it was that, along with 2 Man, that blew my mind and turned me from a perfume hater to lover.

Unfortunately I totally forgot it was Friday this morning and applied Hinoki based solely on the weather. While it wasn't one of my first acquisitions, it is certainly a relatively early one, and typical of the type of scents that got me into this hobby.

Redneck Perfumisto

Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
When I was in high school, my family was very poor and I had a close friend whose family was very wealthy -- or so it seemed to me at the time; today they might be considered just upper middle class. My friend, Terry, had her own credit cards to department stores, was allowed to order her own bedroom furniture from Spain, and was given a car for her 16th birthday, when my parents couldn't afford a bicycle for me. Terry bought us tickets to concerts and plays and sporting events, and drove us into San Francisco from the suburbs to hang out on the weekends in North Beach, pretending to be bohemians.

Our paths diverged after school, and we lost touch. But 30 years later, when I began to think about perfume as more than just a cosmetic accessory, I started an online search for vintage bottles of Hermès Calèche, the first perfume I had ever bought for myself as an adult with my own paycheck. And in my search I stumbled across a picture of an oval pefume bottle with a label trimmed in black and white houndstooth patterns. Suddenly I had a vivid recollection of Terry's bedroom, with its rustic Spanish chest of drawers next to a wall poster of the dancer Rudolf Nureyev, and on top of that chest I could clearly see that oval bottle and its houndstooth label.

I bought it. It was Diorella. I spent a long time trying to convince myself that what I was smelling in it was transporting me back to those teenage years and my infatuation with my friend's posh life, but I was wrong. Falling in love with Diorella led me to learn about its creator and its siblings at the House of Dior, and when I finally got around to Miss Dior, that was the one. That was the smell of Terry and her enviable bedroom and her house with its swimming pool on the grounds of a country club.

So Diorella gets the credit for inspiring my perfume awakening, even though she was holding the door open for Miss Dior. But I couldn't have known that at the time.

View attachment 172208
What an awesome post! ❤️

teardrop

Sep 1, 2010
l decided to wear Alien this week. Not long after l joined basenotes, the lovely Evangeline prompted me to try this one, knowing that l enjoy a good floriental. lt was instant love, & quickly became a permanent fixture in my collection! Other loves may come & go, but this & Samsara (another suggestion from Evangeline) have stood the test of time.

Evangeline moved to France, & as far as l know was never heard of again. l miss her, & l hope she's doing well.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
So many great stories!

I went with YSL Black Opium which is the first big perfume love that started it all and made me join Basenotes.
I was in my late 20s, nearing 30, and still did not have a perfume that I would call "mine" - nothing I really loved or connected with. I have never bought a perfume for myself and relied only on gifts from family members - but they all were just "nice" or "okay" for me, nothing I would actually want to choose for myself. I felt too self-conscious to go to the expensive perfumery stores and nothing in the cheap ones caught my attention, so there it was. Until one day I decided to get a quality lipstick instead of a cheap one and a sales assistant gave me a sample of Black Opium with my purchase... I wasn't a fan of the pink juice colour but I loved the name, and I really, truly enjoyed the scent. I used the sample very frugally for a year or so until I decided that I must. Get. This. Scent. For me! And so I did. It was the very first perfume I have ever chose for myself, and that felt so liberating and empowering. I was so obsessed at that time that I started googling for notes and reviews and wanted to know what style this was done in and so on, that I eventually landed here. I have finished my bottle since and my love waned somewhat as it started smelling a bit too synthetic for me so I didn't repurchase it, but who knows what I decide in the future as it smells of a very nice sweet coffee again today. I kept a sample vial for days like this when I want to revisit it though - and I still have some more samples of the flankers and a mini of Black Opium intense that I'll wear in the evening.

p394534-av-01-zoom.jpg

1627548020_5-6-ysl-dmi-fraw-black-opium-range-alt-view-geography-square-3000x3000px-inter-en-rgb.jpg

Black Opium wasn't my first perfume nor the first that I enjoyed - I do have memories of sneaking into bathroom and stealing a spritz of mom's Gucci Rush dupe called "Rushi" that she got as a gift from a friend and hated, thus kept in the bathroom - and of going to the perfumery in the mall in the early teens with friends to sniff the lilac colored bottle by Lily Prune (a perfume line by Ulric de Varens that was heavily marketed to teens back then; they went in lots of colours and flavours, but we were infatuated with the lilac/light purple coloured one that was ubermega sweet and cocooning vanilla/oriental/gourmand - it was called Exotic Wood). It was awesome when we were 12! We all wanted it badly but it didn't occur to me to save for it and buy it myself - I spent my spare money on music albums and magazines instead. My mom refused to buy me this as it was a "way too sweet nonsense that will just cloy you", haha. She would only gift me fresh fruity florals and aquatics that she herself likes. I'm almost sure I would hate that particular scent today as all I can remember is that overwhelming and intoxicating sweetness, but hey, I still like sweet and vanillic things.

Ulric_de_Varens_LILY_PRUNE_EXOTIC_WOOD_W_001.JPG

JON RODGERS

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Easy one for me today. I received a bottle as a gift many years ago having had little interest in fragrance. I was blown away and decided to research the brand further. Years later I'm still on the website that has been the inspiration for so many purchases. I'm going with the fragrance that brought me to Basenotes. Applaud it or curse it as you see fit :D

creed-green-irish-tweed-eau-de-parfum-100ml.jpg

Last edited:

JON RODGERS

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
l decided to wear Alien this week. Not long after l joined basenotes, the lovely Evangeline prompted me to try this one, knowing that l enjoy a good floriental. lt was instant love, & quickly became a permanent fixture in my collection! Other loves may come & go, but this & Samsara (another suggestion from Evangeline) have stood the test of time.

Evangeline moved to France, & as far as l know was never heard of again. l miss her, & l hope she's doing well.

I miss her too. It was her enthusiasm for Deneuve that prompted my quest for a bottle. I did notice that she had logged in and was online here just a couple of days ago. It would be wonderful to have her back.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
A thought-provoking topic! I’ve always enjoyed perfumes but it was a long time before I was able to indulge my passion and learn about them.

The first perfumes that I remember loving were contained in the “Woods” version of the 1970’s Sweet Earth solid perfume palettes...sandalwood, amberwood, and patchouli. These solid perfumes were richly scented (I remember that you just needed a tiny dab) and I just adored them. In retrospect, I think it is a little odd that I was wearing these woody/incense notes instead of Love’s Baby Soft but I guess I was just a weird kid.

B6AC8FF4-2EE1-4E13-8278-100B19BC8E3B.png

Since I don’t have that palette any more (and check out the prices being asked for these today...crazy!), I will wear YSL Paris, which is the first bottle of perfume I purchased for myself, shortly after its release. There have been many reforms and flankers, all inferior IMHO, but the original Grojsman version is a heady and rich rose & violet floral. I don’t have my original bottle, but I tracked down a replacement awhile ago. I know I wore Paris on my first date with my dear DH, in 1986!

Last edited:

tdem1961

I smell something…
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2005
I have loved perfume since I was a little girl. My earliest scent memories were of Johnson’s baby powder, Ivory soap, and Jean Nate. My mother always had one or two bottles of Avon perfumes on her dresser. She also kept a bottle of L’Air du Temps that she saved ‘for special’.

L’Air du Temps excepted, I was unaware of the classics of the great perfume houses. That changed in 2004 when I came across the Perfume of Life and of course Basenotes message boards. At the time, much discussion there involved Caron, especially Tabac Blond. I promptly ordered a sample of the extrait from the Madison Avenue boutique and was blown away. Discovering Guerlain, Chanel, Patou all soon followed, as well as niche and indie perfume houses. Who knew.

Tabac Blond, my SOTD, is the fragrance that plummeted me down the perfumed rabbit hole. It’s glorious down here.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
IAt the time, much discussion there involved Caron, especially Tabac Blond. I promptly ordered a sample of the extrait from the Madison Avenue boutique and was blown away. Discovering Guerlain, Chanel, Patou all soon followed, as well as niche and indie perfume houses. Who knew.

Tabac Blond, my SOTD, is the fragrance that plummeted me down the perfumed rabbit hole. It’s glorious down here.
One of my perfume regrets is that I never made it to the New York Caron boutique before it closed!

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014

Although my daughters were appalled (or pretended to be), I thought it was kind of cool when the boys began wearing Axe in their high school. I don’t remember ANY boy wearing scent back in my day. It’s nice that boys feel that they can wear scent today.

Latest News