Synchronized Fridays 2021

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018
For the evening, I changed into Al Oudh by L'Artisan Parfumeur.
It is heartachingly beautiful scent to me.

"The perfumer found inspiration for Al Oudh in the Arabic desert, by creating pictures of old caravans transporting myrrh, gold and incense, while rounding up that image with essences of agar wood, which is a genuine guide in the Orient thanks to its characteristic aromas. The fragrance opens in spicy-fiery tacts with cinnamon, cardamom and pink pepper, which will seduce you from the very beginning. A heart is composed of neroli, rose, castroneum, leather, civet and moss, while a base encompasses agar wood, sandalwood, Atlas cedar, patchouli, myrrh, incense, vanilla and tonka."

Although it says that there is civet and castoreum/castroneum in here, and also caraway and maybe even cumin (?) but I do not find this perfume dirty nor skanky at all (and I'm not a fan of dirty smelling fragrances and I'm also a bit iffy with oud as I dislike many fragrances with the note and like only some). To me it's a beautifully blended dark, rich, incensy, ambery, smoothly spicy and almost meditatively calming scent.

yes that is quite good in that it seems to me to be real oud, and yet it isn't a typical Middle Eastern oud at all. I'll have to wear it again soon, thank you!

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
Hoping on board the Dzongkha train. Big fan of this, picked up a partial older bottle last year (thx LiveJazz!) for a great price and have found it works nicely for me too n summer and cooler weather.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
Joining the crowd of Dzongkha wearers.

Every time I wear this I'm unsure whether I actually like it or not. It mostly smells to me like grapefruit peels, baby powder, and ultra-dry temple incense, all of which are things I find pleasant, but somehow in combination they manage to remind me of Noxzema, the thick cold cream that came in a cobalt blue tub, my mother's makeup remover of choice.

But it certainly does smell autumnal, even though I don't get all the spice references that others do. And it gets big points for durability -- I put on a tiny preview dab at 10pm last night and it was still going strong 12 hours later.

👺<--random emoji experiment
Same feeling about not knowing whether I like it or not but today I’m leaning towards liking the strangeness very much. I only have a small memory of Noxema but I definitely get that clean medicinal smell. I took a sneak peek yesterday too and was looking forward to liberally applying the remainder of my sample today. Think I’ll be getting a decant to replace it.

For the evening, I changed into Al Oudh by L'Artisan Parfumeur.
It is heartachingly beautiful scent to me.

"The perfumer found inspiration for Al Oudh in the Arabic desert, by creating pictures of old caravans transporting myrrh, gold and incense, while rounding up that image with essences of agar wood, which is a genuine guide in the Orient thanks to its characteristic aromas. The fragrance opens in spicy-fiery tacts with cinnamon, cardamom and pink pepper, which will seduce you from the very beginning. A heart is composed of neroli, rose, castroneum, leather, civet and moss, while a base encompasses agar wood, sandalwood, Atlas cedar, patchouli, myrrh, incense, vanilla and tonka."

Although it says that there is civet and castoreum/castroneum in here, and also caraway and maybe even cumin (?) but I do not find this perfume dirty nor skanky at all (and I'm not a fan of dirty smelling fragrances and I'm also a bit iffy with oud as I dislike many fragrances with the note and like only some). To me it's a beautifully blended dark, rich, incensy, ambery, smoothly spicy and almost meditatively calming scent.
Mmmm….this sounds nice! I do happen to like oud but how it is surrounded here seems especially good.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Séville à L'Aube!

05e9fa432cfcfb0c9d4597dd3755dab1.jpg

lartisan-parfumeur-seville-a-laube1-900x900-jpg.171022

seville-laube-launch-144-jpg.171023

Attachments

• lartisan-parfumeur-seville-a-laube1-900x900.jpg
    lartisan-parfumeur-seville-a-laube1-900x900.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Seville L'Aube Launch 144.jpg
    Seville L'Aube Launch 144.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 122

LauraH

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 24, 2021
Excited that Basenotes is back! I missed the Duchaufour synch so I’ll join today. So many great options but I think I’ll go with Aedes de Venustas.

What are folks thinking about for tomorrow’s graveyard synch? I’m having a hard time coming up with anything.

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
What are folks thinking about for tomorrow’s graveyard synch? I’m having a hard time coming up with anything.

Ditto. I have an old decant of Le Labo Iris 39 - the top notes have gone off but it reads to me as a very damp, cool, rooty, and dirty iris scent and reminds me of wet earth and soil, so thinking of going with that one. I think anything cool and earthy would work (also today's Wednesday so we still have a couple days until the sync :)).

@ClockworkAlice will likely have some more tips and suggestions for how we could interpret this one!

incense+heliotrope

Nov 20, 2017
Another relevant note would be patchouli, which has earthy facets.

Etro Messe de Minuit (vintage) used to be likened to decaying stonework, old crypts, and mouldy books. It's strong on patchouli.
Etro Palais Jamais might remind one of an old, overgrown cemetery.

Anything gothic, gothy, spooky, gloomy etc could fit the bill.

Rogue's Flos Mortis might suit, or a lily fragrance.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I agree with you on earthy, gloomy things.
Also white flowers, especially lilies and chrysanthemums.
Maybe violets, too. (At least in my language a word for violet, "našlaitė" means a little orphan girl.) L'Orpheline by Serge Lutens? (I don't think it has violets though.)
Anything that smells dark and damp and earthy, like an open grave. (Black Orchid comes to mind here to me).
Maybe smoke and incense for all the candles.
Also, cypress. Cypress is a mourning tree at least in some cultures.
In my country, in the old days, it was a common practice to plant a tree near the grave when you bury someone, so all the old cemeteries look a bit like parks or forests.
Stone accords for the tombstones.
Anything gloomy or melancholic.
Anything that might make you think about ghosts or vampires if you're into that sort of thing.

I don't know yet what I'm going to wear.

incense+heliotrope

Nov 20, 2017
Starting out today's Synch with a sample of Serge Lutens De Profundis, which I don't much like, so I can scrub it off and move on to something else. Not sure I've yet worn it long enough to reach the incense in the drydown. It reminds me somewhat of Aramis Devin, but drier, dirtier, and with more emphasis on florals.
Notes include
from @Darvant's review
Sinister and supremely leafy/damp, a perfect cocktail of dry lymphatic floral notes (mostly violet leaves, hyacinth, carnation and chrysanthemum, green, cold, leafy, humid and earthy), mineral patterns, lythurgical resins and faint spices. Moody and chilling in its sinister sense of crawling moodiness and melacholia. I find points of "evocative" ambiental conjunction with the darker and smokier Durbano Black Tourmaline (which is anyway a quite different olfactory "stoney" experience). By smelling this scent you can easily figure on mind the silent atmosphere of a stoney graveyard surrounded by cypresses and ferns and studded by cold marble statues and monumental structures during a grey and gloomy irish winter afternoon. I detect the fresh soil vibe which is probably afforded by a implementation of woody resins as combined with mineral patterns and hints of rubber.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Whoops, I spaced it this week and wore something that is decidedly ungraveyardy. Unless the graveyard is on a sunny Tuscan hill by an herb garden.

I will wear Salvador Dali Pour Homme tonight. Notes of earth, dark smoke, and rotting flowers resting on a gravestone.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
Graveyards provide an interesting contrast - plainly and deeply “down to earth”, but also invoking thoughts of noncorporeal being and experience.

Peaty dirt, ethereal incense, white floral veils, and damp stone are some of my most favorite smells.
There are syncs around the graveyard, dead leaves, incense themes for the next couple weeks here and on the weekend sync so I‘ve got a handful pulled out including a couple I held back from last week’s Duchafour sync.

This morning I’m going with super peaty Reminiscence Patchoulli and smelling like I’m covered in potting soil.
Then I plan to join grayspoole later at midnight mass but with Aedes de Venustas Copal Azur.
Incense+heliotrope’s mention of Passage d’Enfer seems perfect so I’m going to have to make time for that over the weekend, and Timbuktu is still waiting on my tray from last Friday.

I like the idea of a gothic floral, or on the other side of it, a diaphanous and ghostly one.

Happy Friday!

incense+heliotrope

Nov 20, 2017
Graveyards provide an interesting contrast - plainly and deeply “down to earth”, but also invoking thoughts of noncorporeal being and experience.

Peaty dirt, ethereal incense, white floral veils, and damp stone are some of my most favorite smells.
There are syncs around the graveyard, dead leaves, incense themes for the next couple weeks here and on the weekend sync so I‘ve got a handful pulled out including a couple I held back from last week’s Duchafour sync.

This morning I’m going with super peaty Reminiscence Patchoulli and smelling like I’m covered in potting soil.
Then I plan to join grayspoole later at midnight mass but with Aedes de Venustas Copal Azur.
Incense+heliotrope’s mention of Passage d’Enfer seems perfect so I’m going to have to make time for that over the weekend, and Timbuktu is still waiting on my tray from last Friday.

I like the idea of a gothic floral, or on the other side of it, a diaphanous and ghostly one.

Happy Friday!
Some nice selections in there. I really need to try the Reminiscence Patchouli.
It was actually @teardrop who suggested Passage d'Enfer.

I'm joining you and @grayspoole for midnight mass in Avignon.

Latest News