Synchronized Fridays 2021

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
l had few options this week, but l've gone for the barbershop option with G Clef by Sarah Baker Perfumes, from my sample. Although there's a lot of calone here, it also has citrus, lavender, hay & coumarin, so l think it counts. :)

That will do :thumbsup:

I'm switched to another barbershop scent Patou Pour Homme for the occasion.

JON RODGERS

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Barbershop
smileys-friseur-863816.gif

375x500.1032.jpg

incense+heliotrope

Nov 20, 2017
Marking Cologneconnoisseur’s Traditional Cologne/Barbershop Day, starting with Trumper's Spanish Leather this morning, followed by Houbigant Fougere Royale (allegedy barbershop, but doesn't smell like any barber's I've ever frequented). Not as many options as I though, since although I have fougeres aplenty, they're not necessarily barbershop. Will most likely revert to Guerlain Heritage, but the EdP, for evening,

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
will continue after with “Eau de roche” - My summer fragrance affair that made me go out and get an even bigger bottle.

I did the same thing this year: got a small one, and by July I'd bought a 200ml. I was pouring this stuff on by the pint this summer.

Now that you've reminded me, I'm going to sub in Eau De Roche for the Lalique mid-afternoon. Love this mineral-spa stuff.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
I did the same thing this year: got a small one, and by July I'd bought a 200ml. I was pouring this stuff on by the pint this summer.

Now that you've reminded me, I'm going to sub in Eau De Roche for the Lalique mid-afternoon. Love this mineral-spa stuff.

The Mr. favors the Eau de Roche as well so I had no choice but to ration or get more!
I ended up getting Eau de Lalique this summer too. Mr. says it goes too fem for him. I disagree but that means more of that dill pickle-y stuff for me!
I’m still working on the Eau de Patou acquisition. After reading descriptions over the summer I can comfortably blind buy it, so by next summer that’ll hopefully be on my menu as well. I don’t think I will totally say farewell to the eaux even as the weather cools because I like them so much.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
The Mr. favors the Eau de Roche as well so I had no choice but to ration or get more!

If you haven't read about its origins as an early Roudnitska creation, you might enjoy that:

https://www.fragrantica.com/news/One-Perfume-Formula-by-Edmond-Roudnitska-12380.html

Also, search here on BN for "Roudnitska Osmotheque" for two different reports on the conference where his original formula for Eau de Roche is discussed. How did the knowledge that he was its creator stay submerged for so long?? For years, no one mentioned it among his oeuvre.

I don’t think I will totally say farewell to the eaux even as the weather cools because I like them so much.

Same here. Winters are warm enough here that I can always sneak in a few wearings. Some years I don't even break out an overcoat at all.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
If you haven't read about its origins as an early Roudnitska creation, you might enjoy that:

https://www.fragrantica.com/news/One-Perfume-Formula-by-Edmond-Roudnitska-12380.html

Also, search here on BN for "Roudnitska Osmotheque" for two different reports on the conference where his original formula for Eau de Roche is discussed. How did the knowledge that he was its creator stay submerged for so long?? For years, no one mentioned it among his oeuvre.
Late response - I was composing just as the lights went out on the old site.
Thanks for the great article. Now if someone could just figure out the base formula.. I wonder if it has secretly been communicated to the Osmotheque.
Seeing as you wear both Eau de Roche and Dior Eau Fraiche, do you see the through line there? I go on and off looking for Eau Fraiche but now I’m thinking maybe I don’t really need it.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Seeing as you wear both Eau de Roche and Dior Eau Fraiche, do you see the through line there? I go on and off looking for Eau Fraiche but now I’m thinking maybe I don’t really need it.

I don't think Eau Fraiche is mandatory unless you're a Roudnitska fanatic. Honestly (and heretically), I might actually prefer Eau de Roche, if only because it's so much more durable... although that might be because my Eau Fraiche is so very old.

And yes, I do see the through line, but Eau Fraiche is quite a bit more floral.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Friday is coming, and we wear Bertrand Duchaufour this Friday!
Well, not the poor guy himself, just his creations.

I have a few options:

Incense: Avignon (Comme des Garcons)
Al Oudh (L'Artisan Parfumeur)
Noir Exquis (L'Artisan Parfumeur)
Timbuktu (L'Artisan Parfumeur)
also samples: Onde Sensuelle and Skin on Skin

We'll see what I choose.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Friday is coming, and we wear Bertrand Duchaufour this Friday!
Well, not the poor guy himself, just his creations.

I have a few options:

Incense: Avignon (Comme des Garcons)
Al Oudh (L'Artisan Parfumeur)
Noir Exquis (L'Artisan Parfumeur)
Timbuktu (L'Artisan Parfumeur)
also samples: Onde Sensuelle and Skin on Skin

We'll see what I choose.
I have a few as well, but no idea which I will want. Timbuktu is my fallback unless another grabs my fancy!

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I have a few as well, but no idea which I will want. Timbuktu is my fallback unless another grabs my fancy!
Yeah, I think Timbuktu is the most realistic choice for me also as it's so easy to wear for me, although I might choose Al Oudh or Incense: Avignon if the right mood strikes!
...Although I think I'll choose Al Oudh as my evening scent anyway, I really love this scent.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
Since he mostly creates rich orientals, it's no surprise that I only own two Duchaufours: Timbuktu and Dzongkha. But it looks like our weather's going to finally be cool enough that neither will be a hardship. Three cheers for autumn, the best perfume-friendly season of all!
Dzongkha is a good one! May try! I have a sample!
My choices for this Friday are Seville a l'Aube and Comme des Garcons Series 1 Leaves: Calamus. I wish I had some Traversee du Bosphore as it would be great this time of year, but that one's become pretty hard to find now.

Also where is @N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer? I thought he'd have for sure popped into the new site by now.
Seville a l'Aube and Traversee du Bosphore are both great ideas, too!

Didn't realize the latter is going unicorn.

Enjoying the new multi-quote greatly.

JON RODGERS

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Plenty of options for this week. Chypre Palatin and Jubilation XXV immediately came to mind but I also have some of the aforementioned L'Artisan stuff. Maybe Avignon. Let's see ;)

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
I'm feeling cranky about it because it won't let you re-arrange the order of the quotes in your posted reply.
Yes it will :) Click on 'insert quotes' and then you can drag and re-arrange them into the order you want them in your reply box. But you have to click on the left-ish side of the quotes to drag and re-arrange their order - where the three lines are.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Yes it will :) Click on 'insert quotes' and then you can drag and re-arrange them into the order you want them in your reply box. But you have to click on the left-ish side of the quotes to drag and re-arrange their order - where the three lines are.

You clever devil, Wingie! That worked, and it just made my day. I'd better quit now... that's about all the new information my sodden old brain can absorb in one day.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
I’ve got Timbuktu and Dzongkha, and Aedes de Venustas Copal Azur. Dzongkha is perfect for the season and since I’ve not spent enough time with it I’ll take the day to have a focused and sustained wear, and save Timbuktu and Copal Azur for the upcoming creepy October syncs since I kind of already earmarked them for that.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Joining the crowd of Dzongkha wearers.

Every time I wear this I'm unsure whether I actually like it or not. It mostly smells to me like grapefruit peels, baby powder, and ultra-dry temple incense, all of which are things I find pleasant, but somehow in combination they manage to remind me of Noxzema, the thick cold cream that came in a cobalt blue tub, my mother's makeup remover of choice.

But it certainly does smell autumnal, even though I don't get all the spice references that others do. And it gets big points for durability -- I put on a tiny preview dab at 10pm last night and it was still going strong 12 hours later.

👺
<--random emoji experiment

Last edited:

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
For the evening, I changed into Al Oudh by L'Artisan Parfumeur.
It is heartachingly beautiful scent to me.

"The perfumer found inspiration for Al Oudh in the Arabic desert, by creating pictures of old caravans transporting myrrh, gold and incense, while rounding up that image with essences of agar wood, which is a genuine guide in the Orient thanks to its characteristic aromas. The fragrance opens in spicy-fiery tacts with cinnamon, cardamom and pink pepper, which will seduce you from the very beginning. A heart is composed of neroli, rose, castroneum, leather, civet and moss, while a base encompasses agar wood, sandalwood, Atlas cedar, patchouli, myrrh, incense, vanilla and tonka."

Although it says that there is civet and castoreum/castroneum in here, and also caraway and maybe even cumin (?) but I do not find this perfume dirty nor skanky at all (and I'm not a fan of dirty smelling fragrances and I'm also a bit iffy with oud as I dislike many fragrances with the note and like only some). To me it's a beautifully blended dark, rich, incensy, ambery, smoothly spicy and almost meditatively calming scent.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Eau d'Italie Sienne L'Hiver

Yep, this is nearly a clone of Dzongkha, especially after the first several minutes. The opening is hard to get a handle on, with listed notes of black olives, fall leaves, truffles, and roasted chestnuts. I can get on board with the olives and leaves...truffles and roasted chestnuts, not really. There is a cutting sour-tangy-umami bite to it, which is in Dzongkha too, but it's more "green" there and more "brown" here. Here and in Dzongkha, I'm not certain I like the timbre of this accord. Some days it grates at me, and some days it works...it is working pretty well today.

The ashy-iris-leathery-incense heart and base is about the same, from memory.

Last edited:

Latest News