Synchronized Fridays 2021

tdem1961

I smell something…
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2005
ClockworkAlice I hope you feel better soon!

In synch with Mitsouko from a decant of the edc in the “montre” flacon. (For me, Guerlains reveal their magic most fully in vintage formulation.)

I will always be Team Shalimar, but it’s lovely to go off script sometimes in this dusky ode to the splendors of autumn.

Kotori

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
Sending health vibes your way, Teardrop and ClockWorkAlice!

Don’t laugh, guys, but Diorella really does it for me in the fall here in the American South. Citric and not too heavy, but also mossy and animalic. My favorite time to wear it has been while raking leaves.

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
Happy Friday everyone and sending well-wishes to Teardrop and ClockWorkAlice (I can't wait until we can tag members on the new site!)

Kotori, your Diorella sounds lovely today.

For the sync I went with Narciso Rodriguez For Her EDT in the black bottle. I don't often wear this one during the day but am quite enjoying it so I think I'll try to make it a regular part of my fall rotation this year.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Thank you everyone for your get well wishes!
I think they are definitely working, as I'm getting better and better by each hour! Hopefully tomorrow I'll be back on my feet - all thanks to you (and herbal teas, and woolen socks)!

I kind of want to apply something else for the evening as I have many beautiful autumnal choices, but since my sense of smell is coming back, I can definitely feel my Opium still going on STRONGLY so there's no need :laugh:

Wingie, oh yes, it's a very useful feature. No missed posts, questions and comebacks anymore!

I also really enjoy wearing NR For Her during transitional seasons. I feel it's the best in moderate, slightly cool weather.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
It looked down here today, just in time for the sync...so I'm jumping into something big to mark the occasion: Montale Aoud Cuir d'Arabie

First time wearing it, and I just used a little dribble. It is massive.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I've never thought of Diorella or Mitsouko as autumn scents, but now that they've been mentioned, it seems logical. I think I'll give them both a wear next week.

For me, Autumn Equinox is the happiest time of the year. Better than Christmas. And not least because it means the start of...

Sycomore Season!

I might just wear it every day right up 'til the actual equinox on Wednesday. I never tire of it.

sycomore.jpg

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Many good wishes and thoughts from me as well.

Going for Guerlain Heritage.

Maybe not the most iconic example befitting this autumn sync, yet still at the same time a fragrance would enjoy effortless during the whole year anyway.

knit at nite

Sep 5, 2009
Will everyone please just get healthy? Please.

My choice is rather a transitional scent for autumn as it's still over 70F in my spot of coastal California. Carven Robe d'un Soir. The top is so pretty and the base so cozy and lasts a long time.

incense+heliotrope

Nov 20, 2017
This morning, Guerlain Heritage EdP. Like Ken, I'd wear this all year round, but it does seem well suited to autumn, as I put away my Guerlain Vetiver until the spring.
Today, Odin 07 Tanoke : ginger and orange opening, followed by incense and woods : a taste of walking in the woods when the leaves lie crisp on the ground - doesn't happen often here, being in the more rainy west.

Kotori

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
Kotori, your Diorella sounds lovely today.

Thank you! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It looked down here today, just in time for the sync...so I'm jumping into something big to mark the occasion: Montale Aoud Cuir d'Arabie

First time wearing it, and I just used a little dribble. It is massive.

You smell great, LiveJazz! I’ve been hemming and hawing about buying it. I adore it.

I've never thought of Diorella or Mitsouko as autumn scents, but now that they've been mentioned, it seems logical. I think I'll give them both a wear next week.

For me, Autumn Equinox is the happiest time of the year. Better than Christmas. And not least because it means the start of...

Sycomore Season!

I might just wear it every day right up 'til the actual equinox on Wednesday. I never tire of it.

View attachment 161590

And you also smell amazing, Cook.bot

I get not thinking of Diorella for fall; I wouldn’t imagine many would. But Mitsouko, I think, is understandable. With which season do you most closely associate Mitsouko?

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
My choice is rather a transitional scent for autumn as it's still over 70F in my spot of coastal California. Carven Robe d'un Soir. The top is so pretty and the base so cozy and lasts a long time.

I haven't heard that one mentioned in a very long time!

With which season do you most closely associate Mitsouko?

Pretty much any time except deep summer.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
For Cologneconnoisseur’s Traditional Cologne/Barbershop Day. There's two kinds of fragrances:

the classic Eau de Cologne scents. A simplistic citrus scent from something like Guerlain or Chanel or something similar.

Barbershop scents. Stuff that has lavender, sandalwood, some vanilla, some citrus. Chanel Pour Monsieur Cologne Concetree, Patou Pour Homme, Creed Bois du Portugal, Guerlain Heritage comes to mind.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I love citrusy colognes but at the moment I do not want to wear them as I'm on a vanilla, amber, spices, woods and vetiver kick right now.

As for barbershop... I am not sure if I know how a real barbershop scent should smell and I probably do not have any, but since N.Cal generously shared that it should have lavender, sandalwood, some vanilla, some citrus this makes my choice easier. I might go with a feminine take on a fougere genre - maybe Mon Guerlain EDT or YSL Libre Intense. :)

P.S. I believe I could do it with Shalimar Philtre de Parfum, too. It's a vanilla bomb that would sufficiently satisfy my vanilla thirst right now, but it has quite a lot of lavender and citruses, too (not sure about sandalwood though). Now that would probably be very anti-barbershop in its feel, but hey, I'm one beardless lady anyway!

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
Mon Guerlain was the first one I thought of too when I read N.Cal's description of barbershop scents. I have a decant of the EDP and to me it's predominantly lavender and vanilla.

I'll likely go with No. 5 vintage EDC though tomorrow, having just recently bought a bottle of this one. Maybe I'll wear some Mon Guerlain EDP in the evening.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
OK, for the “traditional cologne” portion of our program, I’m going very old school:

DE9E03FD-EF10-483E-B1C0-E718A158A39D.jpg

Farina Gegenūber - Kölnisch Wasser

Reputedly the original “Cologne water” from 1714, though it’s safe to say the formulation changed significantly over the centuries.

Last edited:

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Since I've been pretty much living in eaux de colognes for the past 3 months, I'm going to use tomorrow's sync to salute a farewell to summer and see if I can fit in 4 of my favorites. I'm very familiar with their lifespans now and I think I can do it:

Morning: Hermès Cologne de Pamplemousse Rose, a little grapefruit for breakfast
Noon: Ô de Lancôme, for a little lunchtime herbal refreshment
4pm: Eau de Lalique, for an afternoon mineral water pickup
8pm: Eau de Patou, for some French "dirty/pretty" vibes to carry me off 'til bedtime

'Bye-bye summer, you can't be gone too soon for me!

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
OK, for the “traditional cologne” portion of our program, I’m going very old school:

View attachment 161952

Reputedly the original “Cologne water” from 1714, though it’s safe to say the formulation changed significantly over the centuries.

I was planning the same, though I have the modern one. It's pretty good, really, provided you're OK with dousing in it every half hour.

For the evening, it'll have to be Caron Pour un Homme, I think. I have no personal experience going to the type of barbershop that smells like Caron Pour un Homme, but wearing it makes me feel like I do.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I was planning the same, though I have the modern one. It's pretty good, really, provided you're OK with dousing in it every half hour.

For the evening, it'll have to be Caron Pour un Homme, I think. I have no personal experience going to the type of barbershop that smells like Caron Pour un Homme, but wearing it makes me feel like I do.

Surprisingly, my Kölnisch Wasser is still a discernible skin scent after about six hours. I still have to pick a barbershop for the evening—Caron pour un Homme won't be it, as that's one place where Luca Turin and I diverge roughly 180°.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
Since I've been pretty much living in eaux de colognes for the past 3 months, I'm going to use tomorrow's sync to salute a farewell to summer and see if I can fit in 4 of my favorites. I'm very familiar with their lifespans now and I think I can do it:

Morning: Hermès Cologne de Pamplemousse Rose, a little grapefruit for breakfast
Noon: Ô de Lancôme, for a little lunchtime herbal refreshment
4pm: Eau de Lalique, for an afternoon mineral water pickup
8pm: Eau de Patou, for some French "dirty/pretty" vibes to carry me off 'til bedtime

'Bye-bye summer, you can't be gone too soon for me!

Nice lineup. Very ambitious! Unlike you I am in denial and would trick Summer into staying just a bit longer to get a little more wear out of all the eaux.

View attachment 161952

I’m joining in on the 4711 with lots of splashes from a funky old bottle, and will continue after with “Eau de roche” - My summer fragrance affair that made me go out and get an even bigger bottle.

C20112DE-0ECA-42BF-A985-7DE03F6AB965.jpg

Latest News