Synchronized Fridays 2021

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
If you can get them to ship to the US, let me know.
I have no relationship with Lostmarc'h, much less can I get them to do anything. I'm merely noting that the company has "un-retired" and its fragrances are back in production. There are commercial forwarding services for international shipments, though probably not cost-effective for fragrances. Perhaps you know a BNer in the EU who would be willing to act as your intermediary for a small fee or in exchange for a shipment from the US.

HouseOfPhlegethon

be huffin' parfums
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2017
I shall go with Zoologist Squid. It channels marine imagery for sure, but in a fairly unique way that doesn't lean heavily on the typical aquatic ACs. I think of it as a mineral-amber aquatic. It's an open ocean aquatic, as opposed to a coastal one.

Drats! I forgot I had this one. I could've worn Squid, too!

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
I have no relationship with Lostmarc'h, much less can I get them to do anything. I'm merely noting that the company has "un-retired" and its fragrances are back in production.

Ah, but of course! That was a strange way for me to word the sentence. I was basically after - if you see a method where US shipping is an option, on the website I’m guessing at field names on because jay nay parlay French, let me know.

Though it would have been something if your reply was, “I shot an email over and told them who I am. They now ship to the US.”

I want to say Indiescents or Indigo used to carry the line but they don’t anymore, if they ever did.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Ah, but of course! That was a strange way for me to word the sentence. I was basically after - if you see a method where US shipping is an option, on the website I’m guessing at field names on because jay nay parlay French, let me know.

Though it would have been something if your reply was, “I shot an email over and told them who I am. They now ship to the US.”

I want to say Indiescents or Indigo used to carry the line but they don’t anymore, if they ever did.
No problemo. I’m afraid the site states clearly that they only ship to the EU, and as of 6 months ago they stated on Facebook that their only distribution is via their own website. But, asking distributors like Indiescents or Lucky Scent if they would consider carrying Lostmarc’h might bear fruit eventually. Even if the company doesn’t want to deal with the hassle of supporting individual international customers, I can’t see why they’d want to forgo the global market permanently.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
Coming up on Spa/Relaxation day sync. I know it is only Tuesday, but I seem to want to think about spas and relaxation today and what I have available for sync.

Right now I’m thinking about teas, spices, and warm rounded fragrances. - Coty L’Origan parfum (like chai and animal crackers), Fragonard Heliotrope Gingembre (spicy apple cobbler), BDK Gris Charnel (mix up of spiced tea, woods, iris)

Calming Lavender but also refreshing/rejuvenating. - D’Orsay Lavande (Lavender and Anise), D’Orsay Arome 3 (dapper and smooth)

Then there’s meditative fragrances with veils of woods and incense - L’ Artisan Timbuktu (old paper and wood), serious incense with Miller Harris La Fumee & Aedes de Venustas Copal Azur. Is there a vintage feminine that is straight up incense?

Iris and Vetiver are notes that are relaxing and grounding to me. Prada Infusion d’Iris, Yardley Iris, Guerlain Vetiver (brighter), MPG Route du Vetiver (darker)

I don’t really think of big flowers for this one, although an out of body tuberose experience would be nice - Rogue Flos Mortis will do nicely. I haven’t tried it but I imagine Bandit might feel that way as well.

If you have ever gone to a mud bath you are probably familiar with that strange sensation of neutral buoyancy when your body is surrounded by peaty sludge and held in suspension, completely supported underneath and weighted down on top. Being enveloped in this way by stuff that is about the same density as your body makes it difficult to sense where your body ends and the mud begins. It is supremely relaxing. Now that I think of it a really aged, dirty patchouli would do it. Vintage Jovan Patchouli Oil. I also think Reminisence Patchouli is pretty stout but not as dirty as the Jovan.

Other spa and relaxation activities could be in a salon so scalp and used comb notes would be appropriate. Also hairspray, lipstick, and makeup. Sounds like a job for vintages.
That’s it for now!

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
If you have ever gone to a mud bath you are probably familiar with that strange sensation of neutral buoyancy when your body is surrounded by peaty sludge and held in suspension, completely supported underneath and weighted down on top. Being enveloped in this way by stuff that is about the same density as your body makes it difficult to sense where your body ends and the mud begins. It is supremely relaxing.

My only experience at a true spa "vacation retreat" was at a mineral mud bath in Wine Country in Northern California, and the mud baths, while relaxing, were one of the most vile smelling things I've ever encountered. Like most mineral springs, they smelled somewhat like sulphurous boiled eggs and somewhat like turpentine. Not a smell you'd want to recreate in a perfume.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
My only experience at a true spa "vacation retreat" was at a mineral mud bath in Wine Country in Northern California, and the mud baths, while relaxing, were one of the most vile smelling things I've ever encountered. Like most mineral springs, they smelled somewhat like sulphurous boiled eggs and somewhat like turpentine. Not a smell you'd want to recreate in a perfume.

Yes, my experiences in the wine country - the Calistoga Inn, although they did not have mineral springs, just the mud in a big tub you would crawl into naked, after which they would hose you down prison style and then wrap you like a mummy in warm towels. And no sulfur thankfully, just very peaty.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Decided to pre sync with with Guerlain Mitsouko Fleur de Lotus
375x500.5791.jpg

teardrop

Sep 1, 2010
l've never been to a spa, & l'm not attracted by the idea of a mud bath. But my idea of relaxation is being on the beach with a delicious cocktail, so l've gone for Virgin lsland Water again this week. :coolold:

tdem1961

I smell something…
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2005
I chose Un Jardin sur Le Nil for today. Though I’ve never been to a spa, this fragrance evokes what I’d want a spa treatment to be, with a soothing and meditative vibe.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Spa is the first 3 letters of Spain, an awesome vacation destination!

Very sneaky.

I'm choosing Eau de Roche, which is an ultimate spa scent, for the first half of the day. Translated, it means "rock water", and is a phrase the French use for mineral water beverages, or spring waters. Eau de Roche was supposed to smell like spa water itself.

EauDeRoche_Rochas_advert.jpg

I’ve decided to go with a tea scent for today’s sync - Hermes Osmanthe Yunnan.

That's going to be my choice for the 2nd half of the day. It's a perfect relaxation scent to me.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
I associate spas with the smell of mint and eucalyptus, and so I will wear Lacoste Booster, which features both.

I've been going back and forth on it. I had owned and decided it didn't make the cut, but then tried it again and found it more impressive than I remember.

Later, I might go with Hermes H24. Last time I wore it, the base made me think of the steam coming off of rocks in a sauna...that general scent and texture.

incense+heliotrope

Nov 20, 2017
On my left arm, I'm wearing a sample of current Hammam Bouquet, sent to me by a generous BNer. On my right arm, one of the final sprays of my much older (pre-2013 oakmoss restrictions, and pre-reformulation) - think it dates from about 2005.

Vintage is more powdery, better-blended, and more gentlemanly in the opening; current opens with slightly screechy plastic-y vinyl, with a heart of woody (cedar) rose. Current version is recognisable as Hammam Bouquet in the drydown; vintage is still slightly powdery and sweet, and softer-edged, but with structure. Something in current version is getting up my nose. The oakmoss makes the difference.

I do miss going to the Turkish baths at Ironmonger Row in London.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Have chosen l'Occitan or the sync, a "Mediterranean spa" scent.
With an unlikely as much as unexpectedly successful combination of earthy and calming yet also clean soapy lavender notes and apparently dissonant pepper ones, but even these rather smooth and relaxing instead of overly spicy.

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I wore Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria Mandarine Basilic and Hermes Concentre de Pamplemousse Rose today (and all this week) - two very relaxing, comforting and happy citrusy fragrances. Mandarine Basilic is happy and juicy with just a hint of tea, and Pamplemousse Rose is mainly a vetiver fragrance - and vetiver itself is just so calming to me.

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
I went with:

Molinard - Sketch

It looks spa-like, and it turned out to be a light, relaxing, more floral variation on a traditional eau de cologne.

Attachments

• CDAAB4E6-1A1C-48EE-A93C-23820C671E67.jpg
    CDAAB4E6-1A1C-48EE-A93C-23820C671E67.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 77

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
Synching tonight with Replica Bubble Bath[/IMG]

Well that must smell totally relaxing!

I went with:

Molinard - Sketch

It looks spa-like, and it turned out to be a light, relaxing, more floral variation on a traditional eau de cologne.

The bottle looks like a radiating flower to me. And the green juice promises refreshment.
The notes list for Sketch looks super, with an especially nice variety of citrus.
Curious about the name. I wonder if “Sketch” is meant like a gestural sketch, suggesting complex structure and movement with a few light and lively strokes.
Is it a good sketch?

PStoller

Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
The bottle looks like a radiating flower to me. And the green juice promises refreshment.
The notes list for Sketch looks super, with an especially nice variety of citrus.
Curious about the name. I wonder if “Sketch” is meant like a gestural sketch, suggesting complex structure and movement with a few light and lively strokes.
Is it a good sketch?

The bottle is definitely a flower: possibly a carnation (my Molinard Œillet has the same bottle). I confess I just wanted an excuse to dig into my one current untested bottle (more on the way!), but it turned out perfect for the sync. It is, in fact, a lovely sketch. Why “Sketch,” I have no idea. But I think you would enjoy it.

Latest News