Synchronized Fridays 2021

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Might join the sync (being the first snow not only this year but also this winter - at least as far as can remember - where I live) with something icier and cooler/colder in the current personal lineup.
However which actual scent this might be still remains undecided, since the current wardrobe is heavily, massively and significantly imbalanced in favor of warmer, powerhouse, heady, beast mode, overpowering scents therefore almost naturally at the expense of more cooling, icy, sharp, neutral and/or fresh ones.

incense+heliotrope

Nov 20, 2017
SOTD : CdG Zagorsk - hinoki, pine, violet and iris notes make this a chilly olfactory snowscape with forests. It's been below zero all day here, and I was walking in snowy woods this afternoon; the air so still that every twig and blade of grass is still snow-laden. Somewhat spoiled by the farmer spreading slurry on adjacent fields.
SOTE : Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta pour Homme EdT - refreshing pine and faint leather, with a very mild sweetness. Stands up well to cold weather wearing.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
E0B5430B-6622-4B00-AE3C-AB889129E0DE.jpg

Richard Lüscher Britos - 46°N 08°E—Switzerland

Perfumer: Jean-Claude Gigodot

"High up in the steep and windy mountains of Val d'Anniviers (2000 m), where the winters are long and snowy, Swiss Pines dominate the landscape. These majestic coniferous trees, which can reach 1,000 years of age, are moulded by weather into a variety of impressive shapes. In the summer, amongst blue gentians and gurgling mountain streams, their sun-warmed needles release a wonderfully fresh and aromatic perfume.

"Despite its strength and durability, the Pine needs a partner: the Nutcracker, a raven-like bird with dark brown, white spotted feathers. Those animals are essential to the Pine’s survival. During the summer they collect thousands of pine seeds and bury them elsewhere as winter stockpile. Thus, young pine trees can grow from forgotten, sometimes inaccessible hiding places (rock outcroppings or above the tree line). The lichens that grow on the bark also protect the pine trees from diseases.

"A thick blanket of snow covers the mountain pastures and the tree branches; marmots are hibernating, migrating birds have flown south. The remote villages of the Val d'Anniviers are silent. The evenings are spent in the parlour, where the soothing, warm, and resinous smell of pine furniture mixes with the smoky scent of the lit fireplace."

This is quite lovely, a simple but rich pine-centric scent, miles away from Pine-Sol acridity or typical woody aromachemicals. Not a performance monster, which wouldn't suit the subtlety of the fragrance anyway. Sadly, there seems to be no US distributor—Lucky Scent used to carry RLB, but currently does not list the brand on its site—and the EU distributors I found aren't shipping to the US at this time.

Last edited:

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
Just getting my sync in under the wire.
Trying Parfum d’Empire Wazamba today.
The Moroccan cedar reads as quite piney to me.
There is the scent of a cozy, well-used cabin and fireplace much like PStoller’s description of Richard Lüscher Britos - 46°N 08°E—Switzerland. Quite heavy on the fireplace in the Parfum d’Empire!
Since Wazamba is full of Somalian, Kenyan, and Ethiopian resins I guess that would make my snowy mountain Kilimanjaro.

Thankfully it does still get snow.

788A0A7A-0849-4206-BC35-E140F8BBEB60.jpeg

kewart

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 9, 2006
I have a few scents I could wear for tomorrow's synch:-
Loulou, Yardley's Freesia, Yves Rocher's Comme Une Evidence.
Lidl's Suddenly Madame Glamour and a couple of Avons.
I'll see how I feel come the day.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Synching with Today by Avon. This lovely elegant floral is not exactly drugstore as you won't find it in one, but it's just as affordable and easy to get. :)

In the evening I will probably spray some Twilight by Sarah Jessica Parker - a beautiful lightly peppery/smoky/incensy/slightly sweet skinscent, one of the best 13 € I have spent in a discounter ever. Had I known how much I'm going to like it, I would have bought two. But a big bottle will last me for several years anyway, so I'll just enjoy it while I can.

Rick58 & Beth62

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 27, 2019
Emeraude was the perfume of my childhood, my mom's favorite until Opium staged a coup on her dresser. I hadn't smelled it in years until a few years ago. Family members knew it was her favorite and she received it frequently for Christmas and birthdays. Mom still had three or four gift sets from the 1960's, unopened. I was the lucky recipient of the lovely 60's vintage EdP I'm wearing now. It's every bit as beautiful to me today as it was then - as is my octogenarian mom.

tdem1961

I smell something…
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2005
I believe Donna just wanted to say "No idea why this is not in the directory?" but probably was typing it in the phone and autocorrect or mistap messed it up. Happens to me, too.

Or perhaps questioning whether it’s discontinued? I think it’s still around.

I have a few in this category but went with Coty Sand and Sable. I bought some in my local CVS for I think $5 and it’s a lovely tropical summery floral. No lasting power to speak of but at that price I can’t object to topping up a couple of times during the day.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
The Dowager Duchess of the Drugstores: Jean Naté, in all three layers -- bath splash, powder, and cologne. But only in the Charles of the Ritz version. The newer Revlon formulation is vile.

Today this would be considered a men's fougere, with its lavender/herbal middle and musky drydown. But that big lemon opening is enough to wake anybody up.

jean-nate-powder-after-bath-lotion-and-very-rare-cologne-58610.jpg

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Oops, I forgot to subscribe to the new Sync thread and missed last week and this morning!

I shall sync this evening with Early American Old Spice. I may sneak in some Tabac Original as well. Seems like they might make a good comparative wear.

incense+heliotrope

Nov 20, 2017
Wearing Tabac Original (stick deo). This smell takes me back. My father, who always wore Old Spice, was given a small bottle of Tabac for Xmas one year by my mother, and refused to wear it. It sat in the bathroom cabinet for years. I used to borrow it occasionally, but I also preferred Old Spice.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
So many choices for today -
Vintages in Faberge, Coty, Avon, and the celebrity stuff I got from my kids this holiday Ive yet to give a good wear - SJP Lovely and Covet, J. Lo Glow, Brittney Spears Midnight Fantasy, Lady Gaga Fame.

Today I’m going with 90’s vintage Avon Timeless
And later SJP Lovely

Happy Friday, everyone!

SmokeAndSky

Jan 26, 2016
:vrolijk_26: Hello! First time in this forum. I would have gone with Sand & Sable, as tdem1961 reminded me that I have a small bottle. My mom wore it back in the day, 1980s/90s. I also thought of Tea Rose by Perfumer's Workshop, but to be honest, I don't like it that much.

However, being away from home I was wearing L'Heure Bleue and then JOY... I'm a vintage lover. Looking forward to next Friday!

donna255

Jul 16, 2004
Tomorrow I am going for Serge Lutens Encen et Lavande.
I first smelt as the wax sample SL used to send out. I had no internet back then then out of work so.could not afford. Did manage to get a small decant. Then when when I was ready to buy reviewers say it had been reformulated and much weaker.

Move forward found a seller on eBay who had reasonably good.deal and said it.was.the old formula. Did research and yes the label checked as.an older.one. So finally got a bottle.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
:vrolijk_26: Hello! First time in this forum. I would have gone with Sand & Sable, as tdem1961 reminded me that I have a small bottle. My mom wore it back in the day, 1980s/90s. I also thought of Tea Rose by Perfumer's Workshop, but to be honest, I don't like it that much.

However, being away from home I was wearing L'Heure Bleue and then JOY... I'm a vintage lover. Looking forward to next Friday!

Welcome to the thread, SmokeAndSky! :vrolijk_26:

This Friday we have a story time - A scent that you’ve waited forever to own and now you do!
I already know what it is, and I will tell a story on Friday. Waiting for all of your stories, too!

Staff online

Latest News