2021 Sync Friday List

Key Legend:
(1) House, Genre, Note, Perfumer - 12x
(2) Geographical Location - 12x
(3) Interesting/Creative Theme - 17x
(4) Individual BNers - 12x

January
01-01-21 - Nose: Annick Menardo(1)
01-08-21 - Location #1 Snowy Mountains(2)
01-15-21 - Inexpensive/Drugstore Gems(3a)
01-22-21 - A scent that you’ve waited forever to own and now you do(3b)
01-29-21 - Sunnyfunny’s Vintage Classics Day(4)

February
02-05-21 - House: Etat Libre d’Orange(1)
02-12-21 - Location #2 Coffee Shop/Cafe(2)
02-19-21 - Opera or a Classic Music Theme(3)
02-26-21 - Khanada’s Kitchen Sink Fragrance Day(4)

March
03-05-21 - House: Amouage(1)
03-12-21 - Location #3 Countryside(2)
03-19-21 - Wear a Spring Fragrance/Spring Equinox Day(3)
03-26-21 - Incense+Heliotrope’s Incense/Heliotrope Day(4)

April
04-02-21 - Nose: Olivia Giacobetti(1)
04-09-21 - Location #4 Spring Meadow(2)
04-16-21 - Wear a fragrance that you do not like the bottle/packaging/commercial(3a)
04-23-21 - Panned by the Guide(3b)
04-30-21 - ExtremeK’s Big Florals Day(4)

May
05-07-21 - House: Dior(1)
05-14-21 - Location #5 Mediterranean(2)
05-21-21 - Fragrances that evoke the Golden Age of Hollywood(3)
05-28-21 - DrTricia’s Iris Day(4)

June
06-04-21 - House: Guerlain(1)
06-11-21 - Location #6 Castle(2)
06-18-21 - Wear a Summer Fragrance/Summer Solstice Day(3)
06-25-21 - Cook.bot’s Green Day(4)

July
07-02-21 - Nose: The Polges - Olivier and Jacques(1)
07-09-21 - Location #7 Ocean(2)
07-16-21 - Spa Day/Relaxation Day(3a)
07-23-21 - French/Italian/American Perfume Day(3b)
07-30-21 - Larimar’s Great Outdoor’s Day(4)

August
08-06-21 - House: Chanel(1)
08-13-21 - Location #8 Desert(2)
08-20-21 - Pair a fragrance with something - A character, work of fiction, food or drink, clothing, historical period(3)
08-27-21 - Fanny’s Perfume Display Day(4)

September
09-03-21 - House: Givenchy(1)
09-10-21 - Location #9 Forest(2)
09-17-21 - Wear a Fall Fragrance/Fall Equinox Day(3)
09-24-21 - Cologneconnoisseur’s Traditional Cologne/Barbershop Day(4)

October
10-01-21 - Nose: Bertrand Duchaufour(1)
10-08-21 - Location #10 Graveyard(2)
10-15-21 - The scent that made you fall in love with perfumes/colognes(3a)
10-22-21 - Halloween(3b)
10-29-21 - Richman’sOldSpice Spice Day(4)

November
11-05-21 - House: Serge Lutens(1)
11-12-21 - Location #11 Spice Market(2)
11-19-21 - The nurturing scent that got you through the pandemic!(3)
11-26-21 - Sjg3839’s Leather/Tobacco Day(4)

December
12-03-21 - Nose: Dominique Ropion(1)
12-10-21 - Location #12 Grandma’s House(2)
12-17-21 - Wear a Winter Fragrance/Winter Solstice Day(3a)
12-24-21 - Raise a Cup/Cheers! Day(3b)
12-31-21 - Cello’s Amber/Woods/Vanilla Day(4)

Last edited:

incense+heliotrope

Nov 20, 2017
Thank you for hosting the Friday Synchs again for 2021, NCal ! Much appreciated.

A few basic thoughts :

House : Guerlain, Hermes (max chance that people can join in)
or
Nose : Thierry Wasser (if Guerlain not selected); J C Ellena (instead of Hermes) - both having done other work too
Other noses :
Annick Menardo (has worked on a large number/wide variety of scents)
The Polges : Olivier and Jacques (Chanel, effectively)

Themes :
You most recently acquired sample, why did you choose it, and a mini-review
The scent you own (FB) with the earliest release date (no matter if you have a later reformulation)
The scent you own (FB) with the most recent release date

Harvest Festival (fruit, hay, vegetable, cereal notes)
Halloween (something dark or scary)
(as well as keeping the (solstice and equinox) seasonal weeks, which are always well-supported)
Wear a summer scent in winter, and tell us how it works
Wear a winter scent in summer, ditto

Looking forward to seeing what interesting and creative ideas you all come up with.

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Nothing new or creative but I always enjoy the Guerlain and Chanel Sync days.

I'll have to put my thinking cap on and try to come up with something more creative....

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
For BNer days - P.Stoller had a day this year so how about DrTricia and has incense+heliotrope had a day yet.

Edited: Just noticed that ComDiva has a BNer day coming up in December! Has cook.bot had a BN day yet?

Last edited:

incense+heliotrope

Nov 20, 2017
For BNer days - P.Stoller had a day this year so how about DrTricia and has incense+heliotrope had a day yet. ComDiva?

I've not yet had a Synch day, and would be honoured.
Either 'wear a scent with an incense or a heliotrope note; bonus points for a scent with both';
or 'an artemisia plant family note (artemisia, wormwood, absinthe, tansy, tarragon, sagebrush, etc - if its Latin name includes 'artemisia', it counts)'

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
For BNer days - P.Stoller had a day this year so how about DrTricia and has incense+heliotrope had a day yet.

Edited: Just noticed that ComDiva has a BNer day coming up in December! Has cook.bot had a BN day yet?

DrTricia and cook.bot haven't had BNer days previously. What themes do you think would work for them?

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
My beloved Dr. T. has a pharmacy board exam coming up on Dec. 4, so she probably won’t be thinking about this much before then, but she says she’s honored and hopes she can chime in after the test.

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
DrTricia and cook.bot haven't had BNer days previously. What themes do you think would work for them?

For DrTricia, iris may be a good option with her love of Chanel No.19 and there are quite a few iris scents in her perfume wardrobe. She might chime in with something better after her exam.

For cook.bot, I know she loves green scents.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
My beloved Dr. T. has a pharmacy board exam coming up on Dec. 4, so she probably won’t be thinking about this much before then, but she says she’s honored and hopes she can chime in after the test.

There's several weeks before the list needs to be completed. I'd like to get the list done before Christmas. Feel free to contribute some ideas.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
(1) Pick a particular perfumer or house. I would suggest picking one that enough BNers can participate.

Houses:
Etat Libre d'Orange
L'Artisan Parfumeur

Nose:
I second Annick Menardo

(2) Geographical location. Choose a city. We could also do Around the World again if there are enough BNers interested.

I'd suggest (again this year) avoiding cities. They're really hard to do, and countries/regions seemed to draw more participants.

(3) An interesting, creative idea. Brainstorm some ideas, think outside of the box. If it's unique or never done before even better!

One-Hit Wonders -- a house or nose that only made one (or maybe 3 max) scents

Panned by the Guide (again) -- everyone seems to enjoy this.

kewart

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 9, 2006
House - Dior or YSL.

Nose - Bertrand Duchaufour.

The scent that made you fall in love with perfume.

Your "go to " scent of choice.

French/Italian/American perfume day.

The nurturing scent that got you through the pandemic!

teardrop

Sep 1, 2010
l've been right through the list of BNers who've previously had their own synch day, & here are some who've not yet had one, apart from those already mentioned:

sjg3839
Larimar
cologneconnoisseur
cello
RichMan'sOldSpice
fanny
24 Faubourg
*dora*
khanada

Would any of these BNers like to pick their own themes?

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
It's that time again to begin putting together another edition of Synchronized Friday! I was thinking of following the same format as last year.

Here's the following categories:

(1) Pick a particular perfumer or house. I would suggest picking one that enough BNers can participate.

(2) Geographical location. Choose a city. We could also do Around the World again if there are enough BNers interested.

(3) An interesting, creative idea. Brainstorm some ideas, think outside of the box. If it's unique or never done before even better!

(4) BNer Day. I want to give priority in this category to BNers who have NOT had a BNer Day. After that if there's space, I'll open it to those who've had BN Days in past years.

Let's get started! I want to see what you guys come up for these categories!

Here are my suggestions...

1. Olivia Giacobetti (Perfumer) Sync
2. City: Las Vegas
3. Wear a fragrance that you do not like the bottle/packaging/commercial
4. I nominate "khanada" for her own BN Day

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
l've been right through the list of BNers who've previously had their own synch day, & here are some who've not yet had one, apart from those already mentioned:

sjg3839
Larimar
cologneconnoisseur
cello
RichMan'sOldSpice
fanny
24 Faubourg
*dora*
khanada

Would any of these BNers like to pick their own themes?

A great list. It probably wouldn't hurt to share some ideas in the event that they don't provide any input.

Earlyn

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 14, 2019
I especially like these -
Recent sample and why you got it
Nurturing Scent that got you through the pandemic
Las Vegas
Classical Music/Opera theme
Italians
Drug Store cheapies
Desert Island
For sure panned by the guide

I like syncs that pair a fragrance with something - a character, work of fiction, food or drink, clothing, historical period.
I resolve this year to attempt to get samples ahead of time for any house/perfumer syncs not in my collection.

Many thanks to N.Cal for organizing again!

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
For BN-ers days, I'm all for everyone who has been mentioned already!

I do not care too much about the location synch, but I'll second Cook.bot about choosing countries, islands, continents, areas etc instead of cities. On the other hand, locations can be fun - like desert, tundra, ocean, forest, Mediterranean, orchard, spice market, castle, grandma's kitchen (something to think about childhood and cosy scents), club, cafeteria, boudoir, factory, spring meadow, graveyard, library...

As for houses/perfumers, I agree it should be something popular enough so that many could participate. Chanel, Guerlain, YSL, Dior (well, I personally don't have a Dior but that's fixable). Etat Libre d'Orange or L'Artisan Parfumeur that Cook.bot mentioned are probably less common, but very popular here, too, also maybe Serge Lutens or Lush, or maybe Thierry Mugler/Tom Ford, although these two are probably more polarizing?
Annick Menardo and Bertrand Duchaufour sounds great. Also Dominique Ropion maybe?

I also really like these ideas by others:
Nurturing Scent that got you through the pandemic
Drug Store cheapies
The scent that made you fall in love with perfume.
Impulse buys - you bought them on the spot
Halloween (something dark or scary)
Wear a summer scent in winter, and tell us how it works
Wear a winter scent in summer, ditto
Harvest Festival could be fun, too

...I also really loved Breakfast theme for my BN day this year, but maybe it's too early to repeat it? Last year there was a Boozy day, maybe we could do a Raise a Cup day - non-alcoholic ones like juice, coffee, tea or milk would be allowed, too. Or two separate ones - Boozy drinks and Virgin drinks? :D

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Some more:

Scent a book or a character from a book you like!

Wear your oldest scent (not the one that was released the earliest or the most vintagest bottle, but the one you have for the longest time) and tell us how it got there and how do you like it now!

Wear your newest scent and tell us how you like it and what made you buy it (or maybe it was a gift?).

Spa day/Relaxation day: Choose your most comforting, relaxing or soothing scent.

The scent that you changed your perception of. Was this a dislike that turned to love? Love that turned to meh? A scent that you found new notes/accords you didn't get at first? Tell us about it.

Wear a scent that you rebought/would rebuy/already have backups.

Wear your favourite (though this might be too similar to the one above).

incense+heliotrope

Nov 20, 2017
On the other hand, locations can be fun - like desert, tundra, ocean, forest, Mediterranean, orchard, spice market, castle, grandma's kitchen (something to think about childhood and cosy scents), club, cafeteria, boudoir, factory, spring meadow, graveyard, library...

I like these ideas - they would work well instead of actual places/countries/cities.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I do not care too much about the location synch

That's surprising, since you've been a veritable encyclopedia of helpful information for all the location syncs this year!

Last year there was a Boozy day, maybe we could do a Raise a Cup day - non-alcoholic ones like juice, coffee, tea or milk would be allowed, too.

Excellent idea -- we could call it a Cheers! day.

cello

Oct 19, 2009
Well, I will chime in :)
If I had one, I would say wear your favorite Chanel and tell why. Default, just wear a Chanel.

Another idea (I have not gone through every suggestion, so excuse me if it is already listed) is to wear the House that you own the most from, and tell a little bit about what you enjoy about that House (any theme running through their fragrances, creative inclinations etc.)

teardrop

Sep 1, 2010
Here are my suggestions for themes for some of the female BNers nominated so far. As always, if these BNers have ideas of their own, please chime in!

cello: amber/woods/vanilla.

ExtremeK: big florals.

Sunnyfunny: vintage classics.

khanada: "kitchen sink" fragrances.

24 Faubourg: What a Performance! Your best-performing fragrances with the biggest sillage and/or longevity.

l'm a bit stuck for ideas for *dora* & fanny. Both these ladies have huge wardrobes & it's hard to pick out a theme! Any help would be much appreciated.

l'll try to look at the male BNers' wardrobes later...

teardrop

Sep 1, 2010
Ok, suggestions for the nominated male BNers:

Larimar: is it you that has the log cabin in the woods? Apologies if l'm mixing you up with someone else, but perhaps The Great Outdoors?

sjg3839: leather/tobacco.

cologne connoisseur: traditional cologne/fougere/barbershop fragrances.

RichMan'sOldSpice: has to be spices, right? ;)

l'm no expert on "masculine" fragrances, so if anyone has any better ideas for these, please comment!

incense+heliotrope

Nov 20, 2017
RichMan'sOldSpice seems to have a wide range of scents, from a wide range of houses.

Looking at his Wardrobe : quite traditional, old-school, barbershop
Most bottles from one house = Creed
Another distinguishing feature is that he appears to wear the same scent (whatever that is) for two days in succession.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Here are my suggestions for themes for some of the female BNers nominated so far. As always, if these BNers have ideas of their own, please chime in!

cello: amber/woods/vanilla.

ExtremeK: big florals.

Sunnyfunny: vintage classics.

khanada: "kitchen sink" fragrances.

24 Faubourg: What a Performance! Your best-performing fragrances with the biggest sillage and/or longevity.

l'm a bit stuck for ideas for *dora* & fanny. Both these ladies have huge wardrobes & it's hard to pick out a theme! Any help would be much appreciated.

l'll try to look at the male BNers' wardrobes later...

Ok, suggestions for the nominated male BNers:

Larimar: is it you that has the log cabin in the woods? Apologies if l'm mixing you up with someone else, but perhaps The Great Outdoors?

sjg3839: leather/tobacco.

cologne connoisseur: traditional cologne/fougere/barbershop fragrances.

RichMan'sOldSpice: has to be spices, right? ;)

l'm no expert on "masculine" fragrances, so if anyone has any better ideas for these, please comment!

These look great, hope some others can share their thoughts.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
RichMan'sOldSpice seems to have a wide range of scents, from a wide range of houses.

Looking at his Wardrobe : quite traditional, old-school, barbershop
Most bottles from one house = Creed
Another distinguishing feature is that he appears to wear the same scent (whatever that is) for two days in succession.

Barbershops might be an idea but may be difficult to some however Creed is a possibility.

Latest News