Still making Basenotes Awesomer / more info / cake sale / new BN Plus

Grant

Basenotes Founder
Basenotes Plus
Sep 29, 2000
Hello everyone

Just over a year ago, I posted a thread entitled Help Basenotes become awesomer, and many of you did help, and may have noticed that Basenotes is still normal, and not yet awesomer, so I think you all deserve an update.

The last year has been difficult for me personally as my eldest child has been off school all year for health reasons, which has meant less time to work on BN as I would have liked, so my secret aim of having all this done by September 2019, is looking extremely unlikely. Having said that, I’m going to show you what I’ve been up to, and would love feedback too.

Due to the support last year, I’ve been able to pay someone to convert all the forum posts to a the new software for me, so that I can test the integrations work, and I was able to purchase a second-hand laptop so that I can work away from home too. So many thanks!

Advertising income from display advertising is still falling, so income is a big worry. I also currently have an issue with an unnamed company who Basenotes earns commission from, who are currently doing a routine check to make sure what we do fits in with their guidelines. (I’m 99% sure that it does) As a result, all their payments to BN are currently on hold. As they account for the majority of the income, I’m hoping they agree everything is okay and continue to work with us. If not, I’m having to get a full-time job, and BN will probably not get as awesomer. (BN will never go away though, I’ve put too much of my life into it)

I did mention last time about relaunching BN Plus — this hasn’t happened yet, as I wanted to wait until the new site was here. Though I might move this forward. So stay tuned.

Cake Sale
cake.png

There’s no obligation for anyone to do to, but If you’d like to contribute to the upkeep of Basenotes, then please consider becoming a Basenotes Plus member you can do so here. Alternatively, if you’d like to make a one-off contribution to our tip jar, you can take part in our cake sale!

Previously, we have given you the option to add a teacup, and a cocktail to your profile. Now if you contribute to the Basenotes tip-jar you can have a cake!

How much can I tip to receive a cake?

Whatever you like! As little or as much as you can.

How do I get the cake

Paypal your tip to gosborne@gmail.com - stating clearly your forum username. I'll give you your cake as soon as possible (This is all done manually, so it may take a little while).
Alternatively, follow this link here: http://paypal.me/gosb.

If you do not want a cake to show on your profile, please let me know.

Updates

So here’s what I’ve been working on…

Logo

We've had the current one forever, and although I'm quite attached to it, it doesn't work very well at smaller sizes, which is useful for mobile, etc. So with the new site, we're going to have a new logo.

We've had a few logos over the years, so a logo change isn't a new thing for BN, but the majority of people on the site will only know the current one. Here's a bit of a history:

2000 - 2002

For the first two years of our life, we sported a dark green background, and this logo. I'm not sure why I chose green in the beginning, but it as kind of stuck since then. I don't think I spent much time on it: Typed out the word, squashed the letters up, added an outline and did a bit of shading.

2000-2002.png

There was a bit of a redesign in 2002 and the logo was changed. The Wordmark has essentially remained the same.
2002-2003.png

2003 - 2004

We ditched the .com in 2003, when we momentarily lost control of the dot com domain...

2003-2004.png

2004 - 2006

Green background was replaced with white, and the logo went green.
2004-2006.png

2006 - 2013

In 2006 we introduced the bottle logo, and stretched out the writing a little bit, but still lower case.

2006-2013.png

The Huddler Era. Lets not talk about that...

2013.png

2013 - 2014

After we left Huddler, and came home, we changed the logo up a little, and changed the writing to grey

2013-2014.png

2014 - present

Just a little re-arrangement...
2014.png

What's next?

I wanted to create a new logo to go with the site relaunch. The logo needed to work at various sizes, in black and white or colour, and represent the elements of the site. Unsure as which colour to use as yet. I'm quite liking the pink, but some that I've spoken to think it should remain a basenotes-green colour. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2019.png

Here are some colour variations:

logo2019.png

Screenshots

Here are some screenshots of what I've been working on. Please don't take these as actually what the site will look like, as at the moment I'm mainly wokring on data and coding parts. However, these will give you a bit of an idea of what is to come.

Forums

The forums will be using software called Xenforo 2. It's very similar to what we have currently, but supports useful features such as working well on mobile. If you can use the current site, the new forum shoudn't pose any problem at all.

Here are two variations of the forum home screens:

forum.png

Or, if you want it a bit more pretty...

forumalt.png

Here's some more forum related screenshots:

forumthread.png

And here is some mobile views, which will make things easier for those who post from smartphones

mobile.png

==

mobilethread.png

At the moment, uploading images to the forum is a right royal PITA. With the new software, you'll just be able to drag images from your computer to the browser. Here's me attempting to take a screen shot of that...

uploadimage.png

Editorial

We'll be using the pretty much industry standard, Wordpress for our articles. I've purchased a plug-in which allows the article comments to be forum posts, so it will work pretty similar to how it works currently. Here's a mock-up of an article

wordpress.jpg

Directory

The directory is having a huge rewrite to better allow for different perfume stregths (EDT, EDP etc) and to better allow for fragrances within collections. Wardrobes are getting a much needed revamp too, and lots of the things that have been asked for have been, or will be added.

dirmugler.png

dirkenzo.png

diraura.png

Finally

We're going to finally get round to having a secure server, so you won't get all the messing about with the insecure log-in stuff.

cake.png
cake.png
cake.png
cake.png
Thanks for reading, I know it was long, and please help us by eating a cake if you can
cake.png
cake.png
cake.png
cake.png

xaml

May 17, 2018
I am sorry to hear about these health issues. In regards to the logo and script, on first glance I like the current one better by miles. In regards to the cake icon, I would like an option so that one could get one of the two previous ones or this new icon.

Quarry

Doing the BN salute
Basenotes Plus
Aug 9, 2005
Sorry life hasn't been kinder to you and junior, dear Grant.

Green, please. Gender neutral.

Big changes may be refreshing for you as creator, but as readers, too much change feels like BN has gotten lost or is under new management. At least the same green would give us one tethered connection to our perceived identity. I understand about scaling logos, but this new offering looks like canned clipart, and the spray imagery is more often representative of sound icons. Also, the text confuses me. Will we have to explain to new members that we're Basenotes not (two words) Base Notes as the new logo reads?

Nastka

Mar 6, 2011
Sorry life hasn't been kinder to you and junior, dear Grant.

Big changes may be refreshing for you as creator, but as readers, too much change feels like BN has gotten lost or is under new management. At least the same green would give us one tethered connection to our perceived identity. I understand about scaling logos, but this new offering looks like canned clipart, and the spray imagery is more often representative of sound icons. Also, the text confuses me. Will we have to explain to new members that we're Basenotes not (two words) Base Notes as the new logo reads?

Quarry raised some very valid points. Also, in regards to the logo, and I hope I don't sound too critical, how about having filled circles representing droplets instead of the waves?

Grant

Basenotes Founder
Basenotes Plus
Sep 29, 2000
Thank you to all you lovely people who have ordered cake!

I'm taking on everyones thoughts about the logo.... We're def gonna stay green I reckon! It keeps it tethered. Will take on all feedback too and perhaps make some revisions :)
(though concentrating on coding at the moment !)

justfoxie

Oct 23, 2018
Thanks for all your do Grant and sorry to hear of your family's struggles. I hope that there is healing and a less bumpy road for you soon.

Could I also put in a plea for a layout that is not so heavy on graphics, especially those drawn from perfume ad-campaigns?

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015

Beebee

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 21, 2006
I vote GREEN as well. But I agree with others, the spray looks like a "wi-fi" logo. Change that. Sorry to hear about your family troubles. Hope all is going better. Big hugs to you and yours.

Mr. Prince

Apr 15, 2019
Love the new ideas, although I would like the color to remain green. Hope everything works out with this company so that funding does not become an issue. Excited to see the direction of Basenotes in the future. I'm wishing your son good health.

Bonnette

Missing Oakmoss
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2015

Excellent points. Also, the thick boldface on the word "Base" in the proposed new logo feels oppressive and counterintuitive to me - BASE is on top, weighing heavily on NOTES. This juxtaposition also underscores what Quarry says about the new logo looking as if the site's name is Base Notes, rather than Basenotes.

Is there no way to preserve the present perfume bottle icon with its charming vapor spiral and one word, basenotes, beneath it?

Grant

Basenotes Founder
Basenotes Plus
Sep 29, 2000
Hey maybe I can code it so you can choose what colour your stars are :)

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
That's great news!
I'm also for keeping the colour green - and I actually like the new logo. The current one is lovely, but it gets lost and really doesn't look good as a small thumbnail, so I'm seeing this as an upgrade. The similarity to soundwaves doesn't bother me - I on the contrary find it kind of cool, like an idea of a perfume that sings loudly and you can hear about it from afar :)
I'm seconding PStoller that mobile friendly site and secure login page would be the top priorities - and I personally would be very glad if our perfume wear counts didn't get lost during transition. Hoping for that! Also - if some of the fragrances would get their separate pages for different concentrations (for example, like EDT and EDP for Narciso Rodriguez For Her or Coco Mademoiselle that are now merged) - would it be possible to somehow transfer your wear counts to the right concentration? It's definitely not a top priority though.

Thank you for caring for the site!

Latest News