Star Wars Dark

egrorian

Oct 12, 2008
I notice there's several very positive Influencer reviews on YouTube for Star Wars Dark but absolutely nothing here on the fragrance - it's not even listed in the directory.

Any thoughts or comments? I own and enjoy it and agree with the YouTuber comments that Dark could easily be an expensive designer frag and is a great buy at such a low cost. I'm thinking that the Star Wars name makes it difficult to take seriously however.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
Yes, the Star Wars name is going to hurt it with a crowd like this. Though some of these type scents may be pretty good, it's tough to tell a date you're wearing Star Wars (maybe that's just me). A friend of mine at work wore Derek Jeter and it's hard not to laugh at something like that.

I looked up the note profile and it looks interesting. If you like it, great.

I didn't realize there are a bunch of Star Wars frags.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Influencers will say anything is great if you grease their palms, and that's the problem with them. They get trust and fame from feigning authenticity until they're a large enough voice to be worth selling to the highest bidder. From there on out they're a paid and sponsored shill that sometimes eventually tries to market their own product, but the cult of personality keeps them trusted by fans.

I'm not saying this isn't potentially a good scent, or that novelty/gimmick brands like this (or the various Marvel and Star Trek fragrances) can't be good; but in communities like ours, they're approached with skepticism because they feel more like exploitation than a genuine product. That's why you hear little to nothing or barely get even a directory presence for brands like this here.

Fragrantica on the other hand, probably has a listing for Star Wars and the usual clowns down in the review section saying it smells like Layton or Aventus, or attacking each other for clout and posting clapbacks as reviews. Honestly, this is probably more a collectable for the con-going Star Wars fans than for anything close to a fragrance enthusiast. The kind of guy who buys and stores unopened for value like action figures.

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
I'm not saying this isn't potentially a good scent, or that novelty/gimmick brands like this (or the various Marvel and Star Trek fragrances) can't be good; but in Honestly, this is probably more a collectable for the con-going Star Wars fans than for anything close to a fragrance enthusiast. The kind of guy who buys and stores unopened for value like action figures.

So I'm going to buy a bunch now and you'll see me on Pawn Stars in 2031.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Semi-Retirement
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Yes, the Star Wars name is going to hurt it with a crowd like this. Though some of these type scents may be pretty good, it's tough to tell a date you're wearing Star Wars (maybe that's just me). A friend of mine at work wore Derek Jeter and it's hard not to laugh at something like that.

I looked up the note profile and it looks interesting. If you like it, great.

I didn't realize there are a bunch of Star Wars frags.

This is a first for me of hearing the existence of a Stars Wars scent. I wouldn't expect anything good to come from it.

egrorian

Oct 12, 2008
I wonder what age range buys these?

I know two people who own Star Wars Dark - my partner's 15 year old grandson and myself (52)...!

I did expect some scepticism and yes, I admit that if someone asked what I was wearing I would be embarrassed to say "Star Wars Dark". However, whilst I certainly don't have the sort of in depth understanding of fragrances like so many here, I do think that under a different brand name this could be quite highly appreciated. Of all the frags I own (or have ever owned) Star Wars Dark wouldn't rank near the top but could sit comfortably somewhere lower mid table; I think it's splendid for the price and quite different from anything else in my collection.

egrorian

Oct 12, 2008
Well, I bought it on the strength of the price, good reviews and admittedly, the nice packaging. I think I paid £10 for it so can't complain. Similarly, I thought the Star Trek Kirk and Spock fragrances were good buys too, as was the original 24. I confess, I hope people don't ask me what I'm wearing with these, though this doesn't happen often anyway, whether I'm wearing Chanel or Star Wars!

maksidrom

Dec 30, 2003
There's also Star Wars Light! Why are we only focusing on the Dark? Is the Dark more enigmatic and alluring? Sexier? Let there be Light!

Anyway, they look like the collapsible box and the branding are the most expensive thing about them.
And if recent Amazon merchant scandals and purges are any indication, "honest" reviews shouldn't be trusted either.

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
It's hard to believe that there's actual demand for something like this. I can imagine action figures, replica lightsabers, t-shirts, back-packs for kids, stuff like that. But cologne?

And it's pretty lazy merchandise. It's a generic spray bottle you can buy on Amazon but with "Star Wars" printed on it. That's it. It's not in a Stormtrooper's head decanter bottle, not in lightsaber where you unscrew the top to reveal the sprayer. Just a generic rectangle bottle. With "Star Wars" printed on it.

The packaging looks like a miniature armoire so I'd be expecting something cool inside, like a carbonite frozen Han Solo or Darth Vader's remains.

And there's Star Trek colognes???

Okay, I'm looking at these now. The "Spock" EDT is in an old school Trek communicator. Looks kind of tacky though. It doesn't even look like the real replicas so it wouldn't even look good on the shelf.

"Tiberius", "Red Shirt," "Uhura," and "Sulu" are all in plain, Versace-like square bottles with just the ^ logo in the middle. Lazy.

There's been some designer fragrances bottles posted here before that actually look like some props that you'd see in the background of the original series or The Next Generation. You'd think someone would be creative and have the bottles actually look alien.

Just off the top of my head...

Female Fragrances
Orion Female Fragrance no. 9 (in a curvaceous green bottle)
Risian Perfume

Male Fragrances
Quark's Ferengi Pheromones

I'd expect the scents to be experimental to some degree in order to give off a future, alien-vibe.

I just saw that recently while looking for warmer winter scents, but unfortunately I do not do business with Disney.

Same. What's your reason?

woodnotes55

Oct 27, 2016
There's over a dozen using the Star Wars name, so someone is buying them to some degree.

I wonder what age range buys these?

At my age, I feel like they would laugh out loud at the perfume counter if I bought one.

At the risk of stereotyping a bit, I suspect age would have nothing to do with it. If it's a "cool kid" at the counter they will laugh at you or anyone that buys it, if it's a "nerd kid" or "sci fi nut" they will think it's cool....

So I'm going to buy a bunch now and you'll see me on Pawn Stars in 2031.

It would be truly funny if you could sell a batch of Star Wars fragrances and make enough loot to buy a full set of some overpriced niche stuff..... maybe some tech billionaire will catch the fragrance bug and drive the price through the roof....

egrorian

Oct 12, 2008
There's also Star Wars Light! Why are we only focusing on the Dark? Is the Dark more enigmatic and alluring? Sexier? Let there be Light!

Anyway, they look like the collapsible box and the branding are the most expensive thing about them.
And if recent Amazon merchant scandals and purges are any indication, "honest" reviews shouldn't be trusted either.

I only own Dark, which is why I focused on that. Light has had some good reviews too but the consensus seems to be that Dark is superior and is something of a hidden gem for the price.

egrorian

Oct 12, 2008
It's hard to believe that there's actual demand for something like this. I can imagine action figures, replica lightsabers, t-shirts, back-packs for kids, stuff like that. But cologne?

And it's pretty lazy merchandise. It's a generic spray bottle you can buy on Amazon but with "Star Wars" printed on it. That's it. It's not in a Stormtrooper's head decanter bottle, not in lightsaber where you unscrew the top to reveal the sprayer. Just a generic rectangle bottle. With "Star Wars" printed on it.

The packaging looks like a miniature armoire so I'd be expecting something cool inside, like a carbonite frozen Han Solo or Darth Vader's remains.

And there's Star Trek colognes???

Okay, I'm looking at these now. The "Spock" EDT is in an old school Trek communicator. Looks kind of tacky though. It doesn't even look like the real replicas so it wouldn't even look good on the shelf

It's subjective of course but I think the Dark bottle is tasteful.

As for the Star Trek communicator bottles, I thought they looked pretty novel when new but the surface covering does tend to flake off unfortunately. I've finished Kirk and have around a third of Spock left so I must have worn them a fair bit. I wouldn't be looking to buy again - and they seem to have disappeared anyway - but I certainly don't regret purchasing them. These were £10 to £12 for 50ml so can't expect lavish packaging.

Star Wars Dark is more distinctive than either though. I'm no connoisseur in terms of understanding fragrances but I can imagine if some cool brand brought out a scent that smelled exactly he same it could be highly appreciated.

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
This is a Star Wars bottle? So much creativity could have been put into this. Nobody was going to expect top-perfumery, but what if they actually put real work into a Star Wars scent motif and then gave you a bottle matching it? A series of scents could have been made with different bottles like for a Jedi, a Sith, a Tie Fighter, Rebel Scum, something for the Han Solo fans, etc. This could have been a fragrance-collector-meets-Star-Wars-Fan's dream collection. And even if you weren't a Star Wars fan it would have made for a great shelf series display for a frag collector that could make for a fun conversation.

IMO, a well done Star Wars fragrance series would have been oddly successful. And.....I think it would be a 'hit' at California Disney's Star Wars shops.

Latest News