Spotted at Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Ross, etc. - Vol 5, 2022

BSmell

Sep 12, 2018
Made a Marshalls run yesterday, they're looking pretty well stocked. The TdH body spray and Montblanc Legend Night are all gone, but still lots of Individuel, Starwalker, Emblem Intense. Tons of the usual suspects, BHPC, Nautica, etc. Several bottles of Burberry London 100mL $39.99 and Azzaro Chrome United 100mL $29.99.

Finally, I sprayed each arm to test the two Eldorado fragrances I mentioned before (100mL - $14.99 each - really good pressurized atomizer!): Eldorado Avenue EDP is a decent Aventus clone, similar to EL London and BR Black Walnut Legend. I passed. Now, the Eldorado Kingdom EDP was a different story. Very strong on first spray...dark, oud-ish, leather, tobacco, smokey...to my nose, similar to Varvatos Dark Rebel...strictly a fall/winter scent, so I grabbed it! Wish I could find the note breakdown, I see that the few people talking about it online have compared it to Kilian Straight to Heaven and Oud For Greatness (never tried either) Performance is good, projects well for the first 1-2 hours, then lasted on my skin 8+ hours. I did 3 sprays to my chest and one on each arm last night around 9 PM. I woke up this morning at 7 AM and it was still a very noticeable skin scent. I might have to grab a back up bottle.

Last edited:

woodnotes55

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2016

My Burlington also had a TON of Banana Republic frags, and five or six boxes of IZOD for men. I'm guessing it's mediocre but I'm curious what an IZOD fragrance is all about.
Was sure I remembered someone liking this recently. For once search quickly found the thread.... but memory was off, seems like was for the original and kind of inconclusive comments on new one....

masonjarjar

Basenotes Junkie
Dec 27, 2007
Things were Bananas at Burlington. Literally. I’ve read a lot of reviews but nothing really jumped at me as a “must have” - it was truly a treasure hunt as the girls and boys frags were all mixed in with each other. What did I walk into here? Lots of Fords too, and… Nissan?!? Ok.. I didn’t spend any money but these two jumped out at me: Now that I know what the Black Walnut Legend really is, I think I’ll pass, but the Nicole Miller (New York Black?) has me intrigued. And of course Elizabeth Taylor’s Passion and the classic Pour Lui by OdlR will be in the back of my mind as well.. great. Pics aren’t working. Maybe later. 8BCD47F1-36E2-4B0B-89A6-049B95CC195C.jpeg 5CB724B3-5593-43FB-9C89-48CACC8F1F39.jpeg

Last edited:

NettyYeti

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 28, 2016
I spotted and purchased the Terre d’Hermes Alcohol-Free Body Spray mentioned earlier in the thread. 100 ml for $50 (which is about what it goes for online…I just couldn’t resist).

I tried it on skin when I got home. First impressions are positive! I sometimes tire of the edt after a full day’s wearing (no such problem with the Parfum), so I think this will be a nice alternative. The top notes feel muted and the whole composition is a touch smoother (and perhaps simpler).

Edit: This was at TJ Maxx in SE Wisconsin.

ChuckW

Basenotes Institution
Aug 21, 2001
If you see that Azzaro L'eau, I'd recommend snatching it up, especially at that price.

Azzaro L'eau
Opens up like a much fresher version of Aramis Tuscany. Lemon/yuzu opening, so it's very fresh out the gate, equal to AdG or Issey in terms of that level of freshness/lightness, but not at all sweet like those two. A far more serious and grown-man take on the late 90s frosted bottle "freshie."

Around the mid-notes/heart that bright yuzu freshness dissipates and you get something that's evokes Armani Eau Pour Homme a bit, but still lighter and fresher in comparison. I get a faint hint of pleasant cigarette smoke in the background. About as masculine as a light and fresh scent can get, imo.

Once it reaches its final form, it becomes a far lighter, fresher take on the original Aramis. Imagine all the challenging and offensive aspects of Aramis removed, and only the "good" stuff remaining. And I say this as someone who likes Aramis.

Longevity isn't great, but for the price, and the quality how the fragrance itself smells, it's well worth it.

It takes several wearings to fully appreciate it, imo. Once you get what it's going for, it'll start to "click." What John Varvatos Vintage is to Polo, Z-14, and Drakkar Noir, Azzaro L'eau is to Aramis Tuscany, Armani Eau Pour Homme, and the original Aramis. Basically a homage to the last three.

Based upon your recommendation I bought this at Burlington today. I get the Rive Gauche and Tuscany comparisons. Nice for $16.99.

Hugh V.

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 9, 2016
Based upon your recommendation I bought this at Burlington today. I get the Rive Gauche and Tuscany comparisons. Nice for $16.99.
Glad it worked out.

I still struggle to see the Rive Gauche similarities, but maybe I'm approaching it from the wrong angle. I still have to give Rive Gauche some more wearings before I can smell all the different aspects of it. A couple times I swore that it was a dead ringer for vintage Azzaro, one time it smelled like straight up Brut, and other times it's mostly like sweet shaving cream.

maksidrom

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 30, 2003
Stopped by Perfumania and picked up several El Ganso 125 ml bottles for $20 - Limoncello Season, Friday Edition and Part Time Hero.
They also had the new BR Icon Collezion Riservata (Tuberose Overdose, Midnight Hour, Velvet Pomegranate) on sale - $40 for a bottle + 2nd bottle 50% off. I tried all 3 on test strips, not particularly impressed with either one, but Midnight Hour was the most memorable. On paper test strip Tuberose Overdose and Velvet Pomegranate smelled very similar (cloyingly sweet florals), I even thought maybe the bottles got mixed up.
Passed, will need to test on skin, on paper these did not impress at all.

NettyYeti

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 28, 2016
Last weekend in TJ Maxx I noticed a few ancillary products for the women’s Light Blue line. Always enjoy finding odds and ends to try, even if not anything super exciting. I picked up the “summer gel” for my wife for $13.
20D0A921-BCD8-418E-B49B-B7E092D63545.jpeg

NettyYeti

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 28, 2016
Stopped at Ross in SE Wisconsin on my lunch hour and spotted a 150 ml bottle of Bad Boy Le Parfum for $90.

Some may roll their eyes at this line (I’m not a fan of the bottle design), but the edt was pleasant enough, and I like the cannabis note in Le Parfum. Not enough to buy a 150 ml bottle (even if it is a decent deal), but I thought about it.

If anyone is unfamiliar with this one and decides to peruse the reviews, you’re in for a treat. Varanis Ridari has the snark-o-meter dialed up to 11:

“I wouldn't wear this, as I still find the overall design to be a train wreck of marketing department check boxes and creative director hubris that thinks people still take Ricky Martin's Livin' la Vida Loca to heart 20 years after it was the battle cry for millennials who partied hard thinking they had a chance at home ownership and a financially-stable life, only to realize they're living under a neo-serfdom on a dying planet ready to drown or fry them to a crisp before their kids see the age they are now.”

F89E9ADB-BACB-4997-9AF6-1A51A44DA52A.gif

maksidrom

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 30, 2003
Stopped at Ross in SE Wisconsin on my lunch hour and spotted a 150 ml bottle of Bad Boy Le Parfum for $90.

Some may roll their eyes at this line (I’m not a fan of the bottle design), but the edt was pleasant enough, and I like the cannabis note in Le Parfum. Not enough to buy a 150 ml bottle (even if it is a decent deal), but I thought about it.

If anyone is unfamiliar with this one and decides to peruse the reviews, you’re in for a treat. Varanis Ridari has the snark-o-meter dialed up to 11:

“I wouldn't wear this, as I still find the overall design to be a train wreck of marketing department check boxes and creative director hubris that thinks people still take Ricky Martin's Livin' la Vida Loca to heart 20 years after it was the battle cry for millennials who partied hard thinking they had a chance at home ownership and a financially-stable life, only to realize they're living under a neo-serfdom on a dying planet ready to drown or fry them to a crisp before their kids see the age they are now.”

View attachment 299739

My hubby wears this and I don't know whether he oversprays or if it is just too potent, but I find Le Parfum too invasive and overpowering, especially with that grating cannabis note. I like cannabis note in a few other fragrances but here it is just too much and too in yer face.
It's a true clubbing perfume - clubs you on the head incessantly until you are numb.

Ross prices are definitely on the rise. Last year I almost passed on Luna Rossa Carbon 150 ml for $70 thinking it was on the expensive side.
And five years prior I picked up Luna Rossa OG 150 ml bottle for a mere $50. O tempora! o mores!

Smellyicious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 17, 2021

View attachment 299739
I quite like the cannibals note in Bad Boy edp but when I tested it it disappeared quickly.

If it actually lasts I might need to try it again.

DoctorM81

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 26, 2011
Last weekend in TJ Maxx I noticed a few ancillary products for the women’s Light Blue line. Always enjoy finding odds and ends to try, even if not anything super exciting. I picked up the “summer gel” for my wife for $13.
View attachment 298774

What's that Ralph Lauren Blue in the bottom right corner? I don't recognise the packaging.

AndyL

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 2, 2022
Several bottles of Burberry London 100mL $39.99

I grabbed a 50ml at Ross last night for $27.99. Probably would have gotten the 100ml if it was there… but pretty sure the 50 will last me long enough.

This fragrance has been mentioned often here on BN, hednic suggests it often. Have to admit it’s pretty nice. Thanks!

BSmell

Sep 12, 2018
Stopped by Walmart for some household stuff, had to check the fragrances (of course) Lo and behold, they actually had a bunch of Cremo Spice and Black Vanilla...they're always out of stock around here! Finally got to grab a bottle, on sale for $19.94 - This must be the latest version, front of the box says, "A spirited blend of cardamom, tobacco and black vanilla". The notes on the side of the box say:
Top - Cardamom
Middle - Tobacco
Base - Black Vanilla
I sprayed the back of my hand, not overly sweet, very light vanilla so far...but the cardamom is strong with a noticeable tobacco.
We'll see how the dry down goes. Cremo No 11 Spice and Black Vanilla box 5 ebay mine via WalMart Oct6 2022.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...