Spotted at Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Ross, etc. - Vol 5, 2022

PrinceCaspian

Basenotes Member
Apr 20, 2021
OK, so the Kohl's next to me put up a sign announcing that the Sephora shop-in-shop will open soon. I'm planning a visit this week to see if they have aggressive sales on their remaining fragrances. Should I expect to find great deals?

ChuckW

Basenotes Institution
Aug 21, 2001
OK, so the Kohl's next to me put up a sign announcing that the Sephora shop-in-shop will open soon. I'm planning a visit this week to see if they have aggressive sales on their remaining fragrances. Should I expect to find great deals?

Our store did before they converted.

Our Burlington and Marshalls had nothing of note yesterday. Picked up a dress shirt and socks.

woodnotes55

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2016
I remember Netty Yeti and others found some pretty good deals. I got sucked into wanting something he got for $10 or $15 and kept going to Kohl's for a while but I have yet to find one that was changing to Sephora. I did finally go in one (in his backyard) that had the Sephora in it, it was nice enough. My recollection is clearance some things were maybe 70 to 80% off, probably find better details from searching this thread history (or prior vol of it).....

woodnotes55

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2016
One of the Burlington near me has the same setup, Indeed, not a good arrangement.

I normally cut the line though, but not at the entrance of the check out line. I cut through the registers to the fragrance rack. Haven't got a trouble with people in line so far.
That's a good idea, likely no one will pay any attention to a wrong way walker, I"ll give that a try. But I don't get to Burlington that often...

In other news, I stopped in a Nordstrom Rack after mentions of Atelier here. I was excited for about 30 seconds as they had a lot of Atelier ranging from $14 to $39.... but every !$#!$#! one was a candle!!!! I guess that might have been a good deal, not sure, but was disappointed in it enough didn't check or consider buying anything......

NettyYeti

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 28, 2016
I remember Netty Yeti and others found some pretty good deals. I got sucked into wanting something he got for $10 or $15 and kept going to Kohl's for a while but I have yet to find one that was changing to Sephora. I did finally go in one (in his backyard) that had the Sephora in it, it was nice enough. My recollection is clearance some things were maybe 70 to 80% off, probably find better details from searching this thread history (or prior vol of it).....
When my local Kohl’s made the change a year ago there were some decent deals, but selection was limited. I found several of the Elizabeth and James fragrances for under $15, and there were a few Guerlain fragrances, which I’d never seen at Kohl’s before (or since). A few Boss at good prices, too. It might be worth stopping in to see.

The old thread can be found here.

PrinceCaspian

Basenotes Member
Apr 20, 2021
CNN article: Here come the discounts at Walmart, Best Buy and Gap

Should we sustain hope of better days?

Shoppers may also be able to find more bargains at closeout retailers such as TJX (TJX) and Burlington (BURL), which capitalize on inventory gluts. These chains buy up high-end goods for cheap, then turn around and sell them to shoppers at a discount from their original price.

"The buying environment now is better than it has been for years," Burlington CEO Michael O'Sullivan said last month. "We're seeing brands that we haven't seen for a couple of years."

maksidrom

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 30, 2003
Oct 7, 2020
Good deal at Nordstrom Rack online: Spicebomb Infared EDT Gift Set - 90mL plus travel size for $62.97
I still haven't smelled it, but it's tempting at that price.

View attachment 259588
I hadn't been reading this thread for a while. Went back today and saw that you posted this deal and the Red Tobacco deal from TJX online. I actually bought both of these deals around the time you posted them even though I didn't see your posts. Safe to say we have similar taste. I'm loving the Red Tobacco...it's such a beast. I love the scent of spicebomb even better, but wish it performed a bit better. Might apply a little heavier next time. Still, two great pickups for a very nice price. I'll have to pay more attention to what you are posting!

PrinceCaspian

Basenotes Member
Apr 20, 2021
If it means that they are going to discount the same generic crap that has been collecting dust for the last 12 months then I am not particularly excited. When I shop at walmart I occasionally pop in the electronics department and I swear that the stuff on the shelves in July 2022 looks exactly the same as it did in July 2021.
Sorry I wasn't clear - I meant to point to the note at the end saying that rack stores are having access to more overstock from retail stores. Quote below.
Shoppers may also be able to find more bargains at closeout retailers such as TJX (TJX) and Burlington (BURL), which capitalize on inventory gluts. These chains buy up high-end goods for cheap, then turn around and sell them to shoppers at a discount from their original price.

"The buying environment now is better than it has been for years," Burlington CEO Michael O'Sullivan said last month. "We're seeing brands that we haven't seen for a couple of years."

BSmell

Sep 12, 2018
I hadn't been reading this thread for a while. Went back today and saw that you posted this deal and the Red Tobacco deal from TJX online. I actually bought both of these deals around the time you posted them even though I didn't see your posts. Safe to say we have similar taste. I'm loving the Red Tobacco...it's such a beast. I love the scent of spicebomb even better, but wish it performed a bit better. Might apply a little heavier next time. Still, two great pickups for a very nice price. I'll have to pay more attention to what you are posting!
Yeah, those are some really good pickups for the price! I have a bunch of the websites bookmarked, so I check on them a couple of times a week. You never know what'll pop up. Here's one I noticed yesterday: Ferragamo Acqua Essenziale Blu 100mL for $39.99 at Saks Off 5th - Good price compared to most of the online discounters! By the way, there's been some online chatter that the Acqua Essenziale line might have been discontinued.

https://www.saksoff5th.com/product/...51664.html?dwvar_0400014651664_color=NO_COLOR

Hugh V.

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 9, 2016
TJ Maxx had hardly any male fragrances, but maybe a scattering of those off-brand ones, and their own square bottles that are named things like "Original," and so on. But there was a lonely John Varvatos Artisan Pure just chilling on top of them all. I already have a bottle so no buy from me.

Burlington Coat Factory
Banana Republic Grassland, Metal Rain, Gardenia & Cardamon, and Dark Cherry & Amber.
I bought the Metal Rain, and yes, it's longevity is abysmal. For $22...eh, I'm not crying, and it is a nice smell once it becomes a skin scent.

Quorum, Paris Hilton Just for Me for Men, Paris Hilton for Men, CK 1 Shock for Him, Obsession for Men, Passion for Men, and a whole bunch of really lower tier stuff like Michael Jordan, Lamborghini, Guess, etc.

BSmell

Sep 12, 2018
TJ Maxx had hardly any male fragrances, but maybe a scattering of those off-brand ones, and their own square bottles that are named things like "Original," and so on. But there was a lonely John Varvatos Artisan Pure just chilling on top of them all. I already have a bottle so no buy from me.
Did you catch the size & price on the Varvatos Artisan Pure? I might have to keep an eye out for that, my 125mL is starting to get low...time for a backup!

Hugh V.

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 9, 2016
Did you catch the size & price on the Varvatos Artisan Pure? I might have to keep an eye out for that, my 125mL is starting to get low...time for a backup!
I didn't. I want to say it was the 2.5 oz, but the boxes don't seem that different in size to me. IIRC it was priced at $29.99, which I think is the standard for the 2.5 oz sizes. I think it's like $34.99 for the 4.2oz/125 ml bottles. But again, I'm not even sure that was the size or price. There was only one JV, and it's been a long time since I've seen any JV's at the discounters.

maksidrom

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 30, 2003
Burlington: Pierre Cardin Fusion 90 ml ($15 or so) and the female counterpart for Cool Water Grapefruit & Sage, I think Jasmine & Tangerine, something like that.

Marshalls: lone bottle of D&G K EDT 100 ml for $60. Otherwise just abysmal, just smatterings of random cheap generic perfumes here and there. Same at TJX. I haven't really shopped at either store since I picked up Commodity Tea a couple of months ago and by the look of it all they had were just leftovers of the same inventory from 3 months ago.

Smellyicious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 17, 2021
Marshalls had 3 boxes of Commodity Magnolia at $35 per. I know nothing of it and passed it by. Alot of loose English Laundry London (and Signature) too.

A lot of boxed EL (Rividea and Tahitian Waters mostly) at Burlington, plus the usual riff and raff. Plus an occasional Coach Platinum (100ml) for $50 still popping up. I think that’s a good buy myself.

BSmell

Sep 12, 2018
I didn't. I want to say it was the 2.5 oz, but the boxes don't seem that different in size to me. IIRC it was priced at $29.99, which I think is the standard for the 2.5 oz sizes. I think it's like $34.99 for the 4.2oz/125 ml bottles. But again, I'm not even sure that was the size or price. There was only one JV, and it's been a long time since I've seen any JV's at the discounters.
Cool. Thanks for the reply!

BSmell

Sep 12, 2018
Stopped my Marshalls this afternoon, pretty well stocked with some interesting stuff!
Polo Cologne Intense 59mL for $44.99 --- D&G The One Intense 50mL for $49.99 --- Cool Water Grapefruit & Sage 125mL for $26.99 --- Lots of Montblanc, including Individuel 50mL $19.99, Starwalker 50 mL $19.99, Starwalker Extreme 75 mL $24.99, Emblem Intense 60mL for $31.99 and one I've been keeping an eye out for but the price was a bit high, Legend Night 100mL for $59.99 - Bummer that the price was high, but they had 8 bottles of it! So maybe a few will last long enough for red/yellow tags. Speaking of which, there was a Ferragamo F Black 3 pc. box set w/100mL EDT red tagged to $28.00

Last edited:

maksidrom

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 30, 2003
Awesome, where's that? Any other noteworthy find?
Houston TX. There was absolutely nothing else worth a second glance, unless an empty fancy AdP box counts. People pocketed the contents eventually and I saw empty gift set boxes yellow stickered at $30-$40 at a couple of TJX and Marshalls stores. I almost photographed those too.
I think it was a fluke, though I have seen Mancera and Montale at TJ Maxx before.

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
tjx-mancera.jpg
Fantastic price!

Mar 27, 2022
I grabbed a bottle of Aubusson Flyer at Marshall’s this week. It’s definitely a bargain fragrance (at $9.99), but I love the scent. The only description I could find was online and reads as follows; “Aromatic woody, fruity fragrance, crafted with notes of fresh mint leaves, frozen juniper, and cedarwood.” It smells really nice (to my nose), especially for the price. It could be a knockoff/clone, but I’m FAR too nubile to know. Anyone else try this?

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
The only description I could find was online and reads as follows; “Aromatic woody, fruity fragrance, crafted with notes of fresh mint leaves, frozen juniper, and cedarwood.” It smells really nice (to my nose), especially for the price.
Haven't tried it, but the notes sound lovely.

Rt87

Aug 2, 2018
I hit 2 Marshalls today. Nothing but house or of name brands. Just junk. I did stop into Bath and Body Works. Took a whiff of their new frags Coffee and Whiskey and Leather and Brandy.

Coffee and Whiskey smells great. It's a gourmand scent creamy coffee, whiskey and spice. Too bad they refuse to either lower the price because it's an Eau De Cologne or make them at least Eau de Toilette.

Leather and Brandy smelled good at first sniff, but after the drydown it smelled like an old school 90s scent.

Aposan

Jan 12, 2019
Went to the big 4 stores today.
Marshalls and Tjmaxx in my area are picked clean! Marshall no longer even had a frangrance section in the womens, very odd. Nothing at Ross of note. Picked up cool water grapefruit and sage and street fighter edition form Burlington. Nice freshies for the price, 24.99 each!

maksidrom

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 30, 2003
Went to the big 4 stores today.
Marshalls and Tjmaxx in my area are picked clean! Marshall no longer even had a frangrance section in the womens, very odd.

They probably moved it to the check-out aisle. I've noticed a few Marshalls in my area did that to fragrances and I absolutely loathe it.
And yes, discounters are bare, those speculations that current overstock that department stores are trying to get rid off will result in some new supplies failed to materialize. All I see are either leftovers from 6 month old stock or online purchase returns.

Things are so bad that I made my first trip to Harwin in more than 10 years!!

Perfumania - America's Leading Perfumery Chain!

Latest News

. .