Spotted at Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Ross, etc. - Vol 5, 2022

BigCactus

Jun 27, 2018
Might have been from an older batch before they bumped up the price. Dark Cherry & Amber is definitely a cheapie gem, a female friend of mine absolutely loved the smell of it.
That's a possibility for sure.

I'm in northern Virginia. The bottle was 3.4 oz, like all the other Commodity bottles I've found (I also have Bergamot, Vetiver, and Book).
Thanks for this information. I'll be on the look out for it on the West Coast.

maksidrom

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 30, 2003
Stopped by Burlington this evening and saw a couple of oddities there (it was better stocked than usual, I guess in honour of Father's Day).

One was "A Modern British Icon" Eau De Parfum by "The Original Ben Sherman" which had a very Burberry-like tartan pattern on it. I couldn't find even a sliver of information about it on the internet, even though it had the Ben Sherman URL printed on it... also made me wonder why they had to print "The Original Ben Sherman" right nest to that very recognisable font/logo. But then I turned the box over to check the back, where it read "made in China" and that sealed the deal. Not that I was going to blind buy a Ben Sherman fragrance anyway.

The other was a Penthouse EDT named Life On Top (very cheeky!). I have seen Playboy fragrances before, but not Penthouse. Imagine getting one for Father's Day, nothing quite says "Daddy" like a Penthouse cologne.

Smellyicious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 17, 2021
Saw alot of Coach Platinum (100ml $60) at Burlington and the Acqua de Parma giftsets (too pricey). Almost snagged the 40ml L’Eau d’Issey for $25 but the line was too long.

Lots of BR Icons around now too, along with various Versace gift sets that seem well priced. One these days I’ll finally by The Dreamer. Good idea?

pipatap

Oct 8, 2021
In search of Commodity Tea, went to Marshall's yesterday and TJMaxx today, couldn't find any. Found one JHAG Not a Purfum 100ml for $34.99 (passed)

Mar 27, 2022
I bought a bottle of Tommy Bahama St Barts (don’t see “Set Sail” anywhere on it) for $19.99 at Marshall’s. Just what I was looking for. There was some AdP as mentioned before, and one that was slightly different (and smaller) for $99.99. Also, a Versace Pour Homme gift set for about $100, iirc.

maksidrom

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 30, 2003
Nordstrom Rack: Cool Water Grapefruit & Sage Ltd Edition, 125 ml for $40. Apparently a brand new release, never seen this before, notes looked interesting, but I am not blind buying another CW flanker.

TJ Maxx: some UAE brand EDP called Shield Black Leather, an Ombre Leather clone, 100 ml for $15 (I think). There was an open bottle that has apparently been sprayed a few times already, so I copped a spray - it seemed to have decent longevity.

cwgrapesage.jpg blackleather.jpg

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Nordstrom Rack: Cool Water Grapefruit & Sage Ltd Edition, 125 ml for $40. Apparently a brand new release, never seen this before, notes looked interesting, but I am not blind buying another CW flanker.

TJ Maxx: some UAE brand EDP called Shield Black Leather, an Ombre Leather clone, 100 ml for $15 (I think). There was an open bottle that has apparently been sprayed a few times already, so I copped a spray - it seemed to have decent longevity.

View attachment 236745
A good find

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
Nordstrom Rack: Cool Water Grapefruit & Sage Ltd Edition, 125 ml for $40.

cwgrapesage.jpg
That's an excellent price!

maksidrom

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 30, 2003
Lots of BR Icons around now too

So, has anyone noticed any difference between the pre-pandemic BR Icon made in USA fragrances with the current batches that are all made in France?

Last year when I bought a backup bottle of BR Neroli Woods I noticed that it had a sticker over country of manufacturing that read "made in France". I didn't give it much thought, but I noticed that some Icon boxes had that sticker and some still had the original "made in USA" print. My "made in France" Neroli Woods from last year definitely smells different than my previous "made in USA" Neroli Woods bottle circa 2018-2019.

Last time I checked the BR Icon fragrances sold at Burlington, they all had "made in France" printed on them.

paul_allia

Basenotes Member
Nov 4, 2021
My local TJ Maxx has the AdP gift sets others have mentioned. I picked up 100ml of Original Penguin Premium Blend, an Harry Fremont composition, for $14.99. It opens with a margarita accord and dries down to a light, clean, musk. Really good summer scent.

Mar 27, 2022
My local TJ Maxx has the AdP gift sets others have mentioned. I picked up 100ml of Original Penguin Premium Blend, an Harry Fremont composition, for $14.99. It opens with a margarita accord and dries down to a light, clean, musk. Really good summer scent.
I saw some Penguins, but I didn't remember to research it. Thanks for the quick notes.

Red Hawk

Dec 4, 2019
Just picked up Cambridge Knight by English Laundry for $12.99 at TJ Maxx, it was sitting out in the open so I gave it a couple test sprays. I was on the fence about actually buying it or coming back later if I liked the drydown. But a woman standing nearby looking at the men's fragrances perked up, asking, "oh my goodness, what did you just spray? It smells fantastic." So I had to buy it because I think she probably would have scooped it up if I didn't 😂

Rt87

Aug 2, 2018
Just picked up Cambridge Knight by English Laundry for $12.99 at TJ Maxx, it was sitting out in the open so I gave it a couple test sprays. I was on the fence about actually buying it or coming back later if I liked the drydown. But a woman standing nearby looking at the men's fragrances perked up, asking, "oh my goodness, what did you just spray? It smells fantastic." So I had to buy it because I think she probably would have scooped it up if I didn't 😂
Cuz Cambridge Knight is good stuff regardless of what haters say! I love it!

Smellyicious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 17, 2021
I’ve been using Cambridge Knight body wash lately. I picked up a bunch (different EL scents) on clearance last summer at Burlington for $1.99 and $2.99

Stuff is decent and works fine on my hair as shampoo as well. But It pales in comparison to the Mugler Alien Man body wash I got in a gift set. That stuff is thicker and richer and more luxurious and seems of much higher quality,

As an aside, my 16 year old son has adopted my 200ml Oxford Bleu bottle (which I got on sale from EL website, hoping it would be the higher quality version of EL’s varying performance juice) as his signature scent. At least on those days when he’s not spraying my higher end stuff. All his friends dig it and want to spray it when they come over.

Rt87

Aug 2, 2018
I’ve been using Cambridge Knight body wash lately. I picked up a bunch (different EL scents) on clearance last summer at Burlington for $1.99 and $2.99

Stuff is decent and works fine on my hair as shampoo as well. But It pales in comparison to the Mugler Alien Man body wash I got in a gift set. That stuff is thicker and richer and more luxurious and seems of much higher quality,

As an aside, my 16 year old son has adopted my 200ml Oxford Bleu bottle (which I got on sale from EL website, hoping it would be the higher quality version of EL’s varying performance juice) as his signature scent. At least on those days when he’s not spraying my higher end stuff. All his friends dig it and want to spray it when they come over.
Hah! That's my favorite in the EL line. It's a mature Versace Eros. Nothing but compliments when I wear it in the winter.

BSmell

Sep 12, 2018
Stopped by Marshalls this morning...lots of English Laundry - Cambridge Knight, Riviera, Signature and Tahitian Waters (passed) Lots of Versace Pour Homme 30mL for $26.99 (passed). I did finally come across something I've been keeping an eye out for since last fall - Guess 1981 Los Angeles! They had one gift set on the shelf: 3.4oz EDT with 6oz deodorant and 6.7oz shower gel for $29.99...grabbed it. Just test sprayed my arm with the EDT, wow! I was worried that the tobacco note wouldn't be noticeable, but it's there. Really good pickup for fall/winter...or maybe cooler summer nights. Nice warm amber, a bit spicy, slightly boozy, not too loud. We'll see how it performs.

Smellyicious

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 17, 2021
Almost forgot, Marshalls also had a Ferragamo Acqua Essenziale Blu 50mL for $29.99! I haven't seen that one pop up in a few years...very tempting, but I already have so many blue frags.
$30 for 100ml of AEB seems more appropriate.

Also, personally, I don‘t understand the hype for Guess LA 1981. I bought it for the Eros DNA and ended up giving it away. Eros all the way and twice on Sunday IMO. And even better? Eros Flame.

BSmell

Sep 12, 2018
$30 for 100ml of AEB seems more appropriate.

Also, personally, I don‘t understand the hype for Guess LA 1981. I bought it for the Eros DNA and ended up giving it away. Eros all the way and twice on Sunday IMO. And even better? Eros Flame.
I have to be honest, on skin I really don't get too much of an Eros vibe from Guess 1981 LA. On a tester strip it's very similar...but actually wearing 1981 LA is very different, an ambery/tobacco drydown. To my nose, it veers off into D&G The One/CK One Shock territory...which I love!

NettyYeti

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 28, 2016

Latest News