Spotted at Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Ross, etc. - Vol 4, 2021

maksidrom

Dec 30, 2003
I went back and grabbed another 100 ml bottle of Eau de Cedrat for that price, fortunately the store still had about half a dozen clearance bottles left. It seems to have left the US website, so FOMO kicked in, even though in store there were still a few 75 ml bottles left (though at more than twice the price). I wore it to work last week and it's a very pleasant pick-me-up dumb reach every day scent, perfect for the office or just when you want to feel clean and fresh. Pretty much zero projection or sillage and after 2-3 hours it stays really close to skin, but some days I need exactly that.

I forgot where the store was when I went back to the mall, so I had to ask for directions at the information/customer service booth. After asking twice for L'Occitane and being met with blank stares I typed it out on my phone and showed them the logo. Ah, Le Octane! - exclaimed they.

deltasun

Jun 12, 2017
I went back and grabbed another 100 ml bottle of Eau de Cedrat for that price, fortunately the store still had about half a dozen clearance bottles left. It seems to have left the US website, so FOMO kicked in, even though in store there were still a few 75 ml bottles left (though at more than twice the price). I wore it to work last week and it's a very pleasant pick-me-up dumb reach every day scent, perfect for the office or just when you want to feel clean and fresh. Pretty much zero projection or sillage and after 2-3 hours it stays really close to skin, but some days I need exactly that.

I forgot where the store was when I went back to the mall, so I had to ask for directions at the information/customer service booth. After asking twice for L'Occitane and being met with blank stares I typed it out on my phone and showed them the logo. Ah, Le Octane! - exclaimed they.

I love the L'Occitane freshies as well, but just cannot stand the performance. I'm always to pick one up anyway, but then get annoyed when I can't find the smell after an hour or so.

maksidrom

Dec 30, 2003
I love the L'Occitane freshies as well, but just cannot stand the performance. I'm always to pick one up anyway, but then get annoyed when I can't find the smell after an hour or so.

Yeah, even at more than 50% off I still hesitated a bit, because they are indeed glorified fancy body mists in all honesty. Usually I pick up travel sizes or minis at L'Occitane, but I can never justify a full bottle at their retail prices.

speckmann0706

Mar 8, 2017
Went to my local L'Occitane outlet today and they were clearing out a whole bunch of Eau De Cedrat 100 ml because they are replacing them with the new 75 ml bottles.
It was mind boggling to see 100 ml bottle priced @ $28 right next to 75 ml bottles priced @ $65.

It’s been said the 75ml bottles are reformulated and not strong anymore which is a shame you lose both ways quantity and quality ridiculous.

Overstock.com has Eau Des Baux in the new 75ml bottles for $34 great price but if it’s been watered down what’s the point grr.

woodnotes55

Oct 27, 2016
Rare stop at Nordstrom Rack... total bust for bargain seekers. They had over half of the Ferragamo line, but all but one were 50 to 100% higher than online. They also had a lot of Kenneth Cole and Tommy Bahama, don't know those as well but none seemed cheap. A few Marc Ecko box sets, one a frag I had not seen before, but high. The only thing of interest was something by Molton Brown, forget the name, it was one ounce and said regular price $25/our price $19.... gave it a pass.

ChuckW

Aug 21, 2001
Rare stop at Nordstrom Rack... total bust for bargain seekers. They had over half of the Ferragamo line, but all but one were 50 to 100% higher than online. They also had a lot of Kenneth Cole and Tommy Bahama, don't know those as well but none seemed cheap. A few Marc Ecko box sets, one a frag I had not seen before, but high. The only thing of interest was something by Molton Brown, forget the name, it was one ounce and said regular price $25/our price $19.... gave it a pass.

You’re a wise man.

maksidrom

Dec 30, 2003
Came across a Dsquared2 Wood for Him giftset (100 ml +30 ml) yellow-stickered @ $38 in TJ Maxx and picked it up.
Frankly, I don't understand all the hate this gets. People are upset at Dsquared2 for discontinuing the previous scents, I get it, but this is pretty close to the original He Wood (I still have my original bottle and I compared them). The performance may be better (I am easily getting 8 hours out of the new scent with decent projection and sillage) and I definitely prefer the new bottles with magnetic caps - the old unwieldy bottles wobbling inside their wooden frames were giving me major OCD.
Maybe to some folks this was personal, maybe they hated the promotional campaign (marketing posters were crap), but I don't think the new version deserves the vitriol. At least it isn't yet another "blue" cologne that smells like shampoo and Axe deo.

maksidrom

Dec 30, 2003
Speaking of L'Occitane... the US division has filed for bankruptcy yesterday, plans to close several B&M stores and "reduce footprint".

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
Came across a Dsquared2 Wood for Him giftset (100 ml +30 ml) yellow-stickered @ $38 in TJ Maxx and picked it up.
Frankly, I don't understand all the hate this gets. People are upset at Dsquared2 for discontinuing the previous scents, I get it, but this is pretty close to the original He Wood (I still have my original bottle and I compared them). The performance may be better (I am easily getting 8 hours out of the new scent with decent projection and sillage) and I definitely prefer the new bottles with magnetic caps - the old unwieldy bottles wobbling inside their wooden frames were giving me major OCD.
Maybe to some folks this was personal, maybe they hated the promotional campaign (marketing posters were crap), but I don't think the new version deserves the vitriol. At least it isn't yet another "blue" cologne that smells like shampoo and Axe deo.

I'm still seeing these gift sets. I bought one a few weeks ago at the same price. I'm not a huge fan, I'll probably gift it away to one of my kids sometime this year.

ChuckW

Aug 21, 2001
Our TJ Maxx finally got restocked a bit. Saw a few of interest Hermes Jardin de Legune, a couple of Boss the Scent gift sets for only $29.99. Nothing else was really impressive.

I did pick up a couple of Pecksniff Handwashes for $3.99 each.

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016

I thought that the general consensus was that the juice in the new, non-square bottle was better. Anyway, I've worn some samples of the current stuff, and I think it's pretty good!

Hugh V.

Dec 9, 2016
TJ Maxx was back in force.

Versace Dylan Blue Gift Sets
Missoni Pour Homme 3.4 and 1.7 oz
Versace Dreamer
Eternity for Men 3.4 oz
CK one Shock for Him

The stock TJ Maxx fragrances

manicboy

Oct 12, 2005
Too bad TJ Maxx sure ain't what it used to be a few years ago. I remember getting bottles of Magnetism, and Gucci pH II back in 2009/2010 for 24.99 each for 100 ml bottles.

I know being a decade later prices have gone up, but with all the new fragrances we've gotten, you'd think somebody other than Fragnet and Ebay would have them. Last few times I went into TJ Maxx, and Marshall's I was so disappointed. This time of year, or a few weeks back always used to be the best time. You could get great gift sets for 25-30 bucks, even a few years ago. Now.. nothing.

Sadly, it puts a damper on this hobby. There was something thrilling and exciting about going into these discounters and walking out with 30-50 bucks of blind buys, coming home like a spoiled kid on Christmas, and unboxing everything. I don't have the desire to blind buy frags online so much without sampling first, cause 30 bucks here, 40 bucks there, all adds up. It's also a pain to try and return opened frags from online retailers, so you're usually stuck with them. Ya.. unfortunately.. that thrill is gone, and TJ Maxx, Marshall's, like other outlet style stores, will probably wind up going out of business soon like the many before them, due to online retailers.

I remember around 2010, there was a bunch of YSL's M7 (50ml) for $20 each at TJ Maxx once and I bought one blind but in hindsight, should've bought the whole lot. Also, I remember buying Gucci PH boxset for $25, Envy for Men ($25 for 50ml) and Magnetism (100ml for $20). It's been a wasteland for the last 10 years. I reckon it's emblematic of the industry that YSL and Gucci new releases have been pretty poor to mediocre since then.

NettyYeti

Jan 28, 2016
I remember around 2010, there was a bunch of YSL's M7 (50ml) for $20 each at TJ Maxx once and I bought one blind but in hindsight, should've bought the whole lot. Also, I remember buying Gucci PH boxset for $25, Envy for Men ($25 for 50ml) and Magnetism (100ml for $20). It's been a wasteland for the last 10 years. I reckon it's emblematic of the industry that YSL and Gucci new releases have been pretty poor to mediocre since then.

I can’t speak to the scene 10+ years ago, but there’s still good stuff to be had. The perception that there are fewer good fragrances at brick and mortar discounters at reasonable prices very well could be accurate, but other factors may play a role:

1. The lull in retail in general in relation to COVID.

2. Confirmation bias. It’s easier to pick out the unicorns after the fact. Perhaps next decade’s discontinued “gem” is already at discounters.

3. Perhaps related to #2: seeing things through rose-colored glasses. I’ve not tried any of the above fragrances, but I’ve read enough to know that they’re not universally liked. Regardless, I would consider them more the exception than the rule when it comes to discounters.

4. Price inflation and less willingness to take risks in the industry as a whole. i.e. A general dearth of non-focus-group-style fragrances in the last several years. (Or, at the least, fewer fragrances making it to discounters that are of a style that generally appeals to the Basenotes community).

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
2/4/2021

Hi all,

I ventured into my local T.J. Maxx and made several purchases today. I found two brands of quality Witch Hazel on sale and purchased a total of four bottles of Witch Hazel (two eight oz. bottles of Humphreys and two 12oz. bottles of Thayers). Total cost for four bottles Witch Hazel : $19.00 Of course, I scoped out ALL the Fragrance sections which had slim pickens. But wait, what's this ONE bottle hidden below ? Well heck, it just so happens that I've been in search of a decent BUDGET Summer Cologne. What did I find ? I found/purchased a NIB 3.3 oz. bottle of NAUTICA VOYAGE for $16.99 (which I felt was a decent/fair price). This is my first purchase of this type/style of Fragrance in about twenty years (this was a "blind buy"). At any rate, I think VOYAGE smells pretty darn nice and I think it will be GREAT for Summer use. Ooh, I also purchased a second Fragrance. I carefully inspected the "close out" sections and it just so happens that I found a NIB 3.4 oz. bottle of NAUTICA BLUE which had been marked down to eight dollars! Ooh Hell, I just couldn't resist this bottle for eight dollars! So, I've acquired nearly seven ounces of Summer Juice for $25.00. Me thinks, not too bad a deal. Ooh, the BLUE smells pretty darn nice as well! I like em both!

SixCats!

woodnotes55

Oct 27, 2016
2/4/2021

Hi all,

I ventured into my local T.J. Maxx and made several purchases today. I found two brands of quality Witch Hazel on sale and purchased a total of four bottles of Witch Hazel (two eight oz. bottles of Humphreys and two 12oz. bottles of Thayers). Total cost for four bottles Witch Hazel : $19.00 Of course, I scoped out ALL the Fragrance sections which had slim pickens. But wait, what's this ONE bottle hidden below ? Well heck, it just so happens that I've been in search of a decent BUDGET Summer Cologne. What did I find ? I found/purchased a NIB 3.3 oz. bottle of NAUTICA VOYAGE for $16.99 (which I felt was a decent/fair price). This is my first purchase of this type/style of Fragrance in about twenty years (this was a "blind buy"). At any rate, I think VOYAGE smells pretty darn nice and I think it will be GREAT for Summer use. Ooh, I also purchased a second Fragrance. I carefully inspected the "close out" sections and it just so happens that I found a NIB 3.4 oz. bottle of NAUTICA BLUE which had been marked down to eight dollars! Ooh Hell, I just couldn't resist this bottle for eight dollars! So, I've acquired nearly seven ounces of Summer Juice for $25.00. Me thinks, not too bad a deal. Ooh, the BLUE smells pretty darn nice as well! I like em both!

SixCats!

Three full backups of witch hazel!!!! You are on a roll!

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
Three full backups of witch hazel!!!! You are on a roll!

Hello wood,

Not only have I been a long time member of Basenotes (since 2003) being a helpless "Fragrance Head" collector, back in March of 2019 I started collecting vintage (mostly) Gillette Safety Razors. I got lucky right out the gate and I found my first Gillette Razor which (unknown to me at the time) turned out to be a HIGHLY desirable vintage Gillette (circa D-3) first year 1958 FATBOY Adjustable Razor for pennies on the dollar from a Flea Market group. Since finding that first Razor, well, I was hooked. Perhaps I've gone a lil' bit overboard having amassed nearly two HUNDRED vintage Razors to date! Soooo, I decided to join several "Shaving Clubs" however, I now mostly post only to the Facebook VINTAGE GILLETTE SAFETY RAZORS collectors. I tell you all this because, lol, I find myself shaving a LOT more often than I use to (I have about 25 favorite Razors in my "user" rotation). Oh, a HUGH part of my post shave is immediately using "Witch Hazel" on my Face (this prior to wearing any Aftershave or Cologne). No joke, I have found that a high quality Witch Hazel has truly made a HUGH difference in the overall look/health/condition of my Handsome Face lol. Oooh, Witch Hazel (a quality one) isn't exactly INexpensive. So yea, whenever I happen to find the aforementioned products on sale, you can bet your Ass I'm going to buy it!

Regards,
SixCats!

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
I have reacquired JV Dark Rebel. TJ Maxx had three bottles. I almost bought two since the rumor of it being a hot commodity. But nah. They also had several bottles of JV NJ....how many are there? I saw silver boxes and very dark blue boxes. They also had three bottles of Artisan Blu.

BSmell

Sep 12, 2018
I have reacquired JV Dark Rebel. TJ Maxx had three bottles. I almost bought two since the rumor of it being a hot commodity. But nah. They also had several bottles of JV NJ....how many are there? I saw silver boxes and very dark blue boxes. They also had three bottles of Artisan Blu.

Nice pickup! What sizes/prices did they have? I'd pick up an Artisan Blue if it were cheap enough.

woodnotes55

Oct 27, 2016
Hello wood,

Not only have I been a long time member of Basenotes (since 2003) being a helpless "Fragrance Head" collector, back in March of 2019 I started collecting vintage (mostly) Gillette Safety Razors. I got lucky right out the gate and I found my first Gillette Razor which (unknown to me at the time) turned out to be a HIGHLY desirable vintage Gillette (circa D-3) first year 1958 FATBOY Adjustable Razor for pennies on the dollar from a Flea Market group. Since finding that first Razor, well, I was hooked. Perhaps I've gone a lil' bit overboard having amassed nearly two HUNDRED vintage Razors to date! Soooo, I decided to join several "Shaving Clubs" however, I now mostly post only to the Facebook VINTAGE GILLETTE SAFETY RAZORS collectors. I tell you all this because, lol, I find myself shaving a LOT more often than I use to (I have about 25 favorite Razors in my "user" rotation). Oh, a HUGH part of my post shave is immediately using "Witch Hazel" on my Face (this prior to wearing any Aftershave or Cologne). No joke, I have found that a high quality Witch Hazel has truly made a HUGH difference in the overall look/health/condition of my Handsome Face lol. Oooh, Witch Hazel (a quality one) isn't exactly INexpensive. So yea, whenever I happen to find the aforementioned products on sale, you can bet your Ass I'm going to buy it!

Regards,
SixCats!

Well I was wondering how someone would go through that much witch hazel!!! Not a wet shaver, but can see how the ritual of it could be nice. My face needs all the help it can get so maybe I should look for some too!:laugh: Although I can't say I remember seeing witch hazel at TJ MAxx before....

Well congrats again on the big score!

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
Well I was wondering how someone would go through that much witch hazel!!! Not a wet shaver, but can see how the ritual of it could be nice. My face needs all the help it can get so maybe I should look for some too!:laugh: Although I can't say I remember seeing witch hazel at TJ MAxx before....

Well congrats again on the big score!

Thanks woodnotes. I figure the money I save on future purchases of Witch Hazel will no doubt be spent of more Cologne lol. As if I don't have enough! Regarding Wet Shaving, it's a fun hobby (I enjoy the History, collecting Razors, etc.) as well as the "Zen" approach to shaving. I recommend giving it a try! https://www.facebook.com/groups/Vintage.Gillette.Safety.Razors

SixCats!

thethanos

Jun 13, 2019
Thanks woodnotes. I figure the money I save on future purchases of Witch Hazel will no doubt be spent of more Cologne lol. As if I don't have enough! Regarding Wet Shaving, it's a fun hobby (I enjoy the History, collecting Razors, etc.) as well as the "Zen" approach to shaving. I recommend giving it a try! https://www.facebook.com/groups/Vintage.Gillette.Safety.Razors

SixCats!

Marshals
JV x NJ Silver John Varvatos. 2.5oz for $24.99

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
In addition to NJ JV John Varvatos Silver I picked up the original (blue) NJ JV. TJMAX 2.5oz for $24.99.
It’s also VERY generic and I’ll be returning it..

Hi thethanos,

Ooh, too bad your most recent purchase turned out to be so generic smelling. I took a chance and purchased the only (NIB) 3.4 oz. bottle of
JV "Dark Rebel" on the shelf at Marshalls. I hope it will be decent. Sometimes, I just like to gamble. The "Dark Rebel" cost me $25.00
I will open and try soon.

SixCats!

Latest News