spooky/haunting/goth/depressing scents in 2021?

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
Hi all,

Yikes! Most all these recommendations are pretty damn expensive! Any Fragrances of this nature that is a bit more down to Earth price wise ?

SixCats!

FragFrog

Oct 6, 2018
Hi all,

Yikes! Most all these recommendations are pretty damn expensive! Any Fragrances of this nature that is a bit more down to Earth price wise ?

SixCats!

Lalique Encre Noire, Encre Noire Sport (I don't like the Extreme version so I don't recommend it)
Zadig & Voltatire This is Him
Issey Miyake Noir Argent, Or Encens

I wouldn't describe them the way the OP has put it, but they got vetiver, incense or patchouli and are not your typical fresh or sweet designer fragrances

SubUmbra

Jul 9, 2018
Hi all,

SixCats!

Unfortunately, more designers tend to be less expensive than most of the indie/niche stuff that we're listing here. That's not always true, of course. But the point is that designers want to appeal to as many people as possible so it's rare that a designer scent will go so out on a limb with excessive "goth-ness."

That being said, maybe Sixteen92's price range might be more palatable?

MonsieurChanel

Oct 3, 2015
Goth makes me think of the 80s.. "dark" scents. Maybe notes of rose, leather.. that kind of thing. I think vintage Antaeus would fit the bill. I could see someone like Peter Steele wearing Antaeus. As someone else said, Eucris too.. while I'm not a fan of it myself I can't deny it's like something a character from an Edgar Allen Poe or Bram Stoker story might wear. Maybe Van Cleef and Arpels PH also.. or Salvador Dali PH. Whilst a bit more on the feminine side I suppose there's Noir de Noir and Black Orchid. The former especially smells quite "gothic" to me..

MonsieurChanel

Oct 3, 2015
Antaeus is Peter Steele gothy.

I hadn't read through the second page of comments until after posting my own comment, when I did scroll up and read them after posting I was super surprised to see this! Fascinating and somewhat of a coincidence that we both associated Antaeus with Peter Steele! I didn't think anyone else on here would be a TON fan let alone make the connection of Pete and Antaeus!

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
Lalique Encre Noire, Encre Noire Sport (I don't like the Extreme version so I don't recommend it)
Zadig & Voltatire This is Him
Issey Miyake Noir Argent, Or Encens

I wouldn't describe them the way the OP has put it, but they got vetiver, incense or patchouli and are not your typical fresh or sweet designer fragrances

Thanks for the suggestions FFrog. I have five bottles total of Lalique Encre Noire and Flankers. Three opened and two stashed away. I LOVE them all (including Extreme). Funny Lalique completely slipped my Mind and I didn't even think of Lalique Encre Noire regrading this tread but, you are so very correct. Thanks for the "Heads up" on Zadig & Voltatire "This is Him" and the Issey Miyake Fragrances. I was not at all familiar with current Issey Noir Argent or Or Encens PH. I must look for those Issey as I only have Issey Blue.

SixCats!

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
Unfortunately, more designers tend to be less expensive than most of the indie/niche stuff that we're listing here. That's not always true, of course. But the point is that designers want to appeal to as many people as possible so it's rare that a designer scent will go so out on a limb with excessive "goth-ness."

That being said, maybe Sixteen92's price range might be more palatable?

Hi Sub,

Yes, you are indeed correct. Most "Designers" play it safe. I completely forgot (was reminded) about Lalique Encre Noire (and Flankers) of which I own five bottles.
Also, I sort of forgot about the excellent MPG Fragrance I own "Perfume d'Habit" would fit the bill. Perhaps even my Caron Yatagan, L'Artisan Dzing! or SMN Nostalgia.
Thanks for the link Sixteen92's. Interesting.

SixCats!

FragFrog

Oct 6, 2018
Thanks for the "Heads up" on Zadig & Voltatire "This is Him" and the Issey Miyake Fragrances. I was not at all familiar with current Issey Noir Argent or Or Encens PH. I must look for those Issey as I only have Issey Blue.

SixCats!

The "darker" Issey Miyake fragrances are really good.
I love Pulse of the Night and Or Encens, also enjoy Noir Ambré and Noir Argent.
They are completely different animals in comparison to the Issey Miyake "freshies" and I think that they are far better.

Recently there was a thread "if you like... you'll injoy..." where I mentioned them too: https://www.basenotes.net/threads/4...-enjoy/page2?p=5109393&viewfull=1#post5109393
Not that they smell similar to the other popular fragrances, they are very unique and criminally underrated (at least outside the fragrance community).

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
The "darker" Issey Miyake fragrances are really good.
I love Pulse of the Night and Or Encens, also enjoy Noir Ambré and Noir Argent.
They are completely different animals in comparison to the Issey Miyake "freshies" and I think that they are far better.

Recently there was a thread "if you like... you'll injoy..." where I mentioned them too: https://www.basenotes.net/threads/4...-enjoy/page2?p=5109393&viewfull=1#post5109393
Not that they smell similar to the other popular fragrances, they are very unique and criminally underrated (at least outside the fragrance community).

Thanks again FragFrog. I'm hoping these Miyake Fragrance may some day show up at the likes of T.J. Maxx. The "DARK" Issey's sound great!

Regards,
SixCats!

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
Jacomo de Jacomo

Interesting - as I found the current Jacomo de Jacomo quite smooth, warm and pleasant, comforting even.

Personally, I've yet to find a truly "spooky/haunting/goth/depressing" scent, which incidentally makes me think of unholy soil from Dracula's coffin or something, lol. Even Comme des Garcons Black - although kind of austere - is too "happy" (and sweet) to qualify.

SixCats

Jun 13, 2003
Interesting - as I found the current Jacomo de Jacomo quite smooth, warm and pleasant, comforting even.

Personally, I've yet to find a truly "spooky/haunting/goth/depressing" scent, which incidentally makes me think of unholy soil from Dracula's coffin or something, lol. Even Comme des Garcons Black - although kind of austere - is too "happy" (and sweet) to qualify.

Hi motor,

Pray tell, do you find Jacomo de Jacomo a GOOD/QUALITY Fragrance ? Also, I'd love to know which (if any) "spooky/haunting/goth/depressing" Fragrances you like/own. Do you also like "Animalic" type Fragrances and/or real Earthy type Fragrances ? Examples : MPG Route de Vetiver ? Original BAT (Zoologist) ? L'Artisan Dzing! ? Vintage Messe de Minuit by Etro ? Thanks.

SixCats!

Latest News